watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dwindling love of the game

Started by Tempest, May 01, 2020, 08:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Pete

Lost interest in football in general a few years back. Had it not been for Fulham I would have stopped watching altogether or started going to see Bury St Edmunds play. The players are now so far removed from the fans and appear to have lost all sense of reality with their multi million pound salaries. Will be very nervous getting the trains and tube to see the Whites. Sad old git that I am 092.gif

Vinnieffc

Quote from: somerset cockernee on May 01, 2020, 03:36:46 PM
I unfortunately fell out of love with the game many years ago. If I wasn't a Fulham supporter I wouldn't even watch a single game, it bores me unless Fulham are involved. I'm from an era when tackling and physical contact was normal but that has been replaced with......well you know where I'm going with this.
I'm exactly the same. I'll watch Fulham but not fussed about the rest. As a neutral I'd rather watch rugby. It's the greed in the game that's turning me off.

Ps. Where in Somerset are you. We moved to Ilminster just over a year ago. Love it here.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nero

Quote from: bobbo on May 01, 2020, 08:52:47 AM
Afraid not, can't wait for the return.

is that to get out of the house away from the wife

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on May 03, 2020, 02:52:02 PM
Lost interest in football in general a few years back. Had it not been for Fulham I would have stopped watching altogether or started going to see Bury St Edmunds play. The players are now so far removed from the fans and appear to have lost all sense of reality with their multi million pound salaries. Will be very nervous getting the trains and tube to see the Whites. Sad old git that I am 092.gif

My feelings entirely.
The beautiful game has become the ugly game in more ways than one, and I cannot see it recovering, it has turned itself into a House of Cards.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Tempest on May 01, 2020, 08:40:41 AM
Over the last few years my passion for football has gone from watching almost every game live on Sky to not missing it one bit during the lockdown.

The game has changed so much from when I really enjoyed the game, or maybe, at nearly 50, I'm finally growing up and football isn't the be all.

The game will come back, eventually,  but I don't think my passion for the sport will, living in the arse end of the Western Lake District I'm not exactly 5 minutes away from the Cottage, so seeing games live are few and far between.

I'll watch what I can of Fulham but football in general, no longer interested.

So many other ways to enjoy life than football, anyone else drifting away?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Season before last I'd very occasionally watch my old local team Welling Utd. Football standard not great but the 350 odd fans were enthusiastic. I loved it in a very different way to Fulham. Not better, just different.. If only the FA would have the balls to force rich clubs to trickle finance down the leagues, everyone is happier..

Except for

The greedy fat cats of the Prem.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

AnOldBrownie

I currently watch more than I did before Covid19, and I was watching a lot then. Now I'm watching at least 4 full games (not just Fulham) per week.

I'm too new to loving the sport to have burnt out already. I love it.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

KJS

This has finally shown football for what it is, the players think they are so precious that they make me sick, I won't be back and will support my local non league side in future so I can just watch players play because they love the game and not for the money.

bobbo

Quote from: Nero on May 03, 2020, 03:51:52 PM
Quote from: bobbo on May 01, 2020, 08:52:47 AM
Afraid not, can't wait for the return.

is that to get out of the house away from the wife
No definitely not . Sadly my wife is no longer with us.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

SP

I was struggling with the amount of games in the Championship with working full time & commuting.  But, I've just seen a drone view of the pitch on Sky & it looks absolutely stunning.  I now feel fully recharged & desperate to get back.  Hopefully, that's the end of commuting too.

alfie

Quote from: KJS on May 04, 2020, 08:19:41 AM
This has finally shown football for what it is, the players think they are so precious that they make me sick, I won't be back and will support my local non league side in future so I can just watch players play because they love the game and not for the money.
Football is their career, their, job, I am guessing by your comment that if you work you don't take a wage.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

KJS

Quote from: alfie on May 05, 2020, 05:05:46 PM
Football is their career, their, job, I am guessing by your comment that if you work you don't take a wage.

You guess wrong I work and get paid a decent wage for a hard days work, they are all over paid and the difference in the amount each player is paid for doing the same job is ridiculous!  I hope the EFL do as they suggest and CAP wages none of the players are worth the money and when the TV companies and Sponsors reduce the amount of cash they put into the game then perhaps we may see normality brought back.
But as I said I will not be back despite my love for FFC it just isn't worth paying the amount we have to shell out to watch them anymore.

Twig

Quote from: KJS on May 05, 2020, 06:23:56 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 05, 2020, 05:05:46 PM

You guess wrong I work and get paid a decent wage for a hard days work, they are all over paid and the difference in the amount each player is paid for doing the same job is ridiculous!  I hope the EFL do as they suggest and CAP wages none of the players are worth the money and when the TV companies and Sponsors reduce the amount of cash they put into the game then perhaps we may see normality brought back.
But as I said I will not be back despite my love for FFC it just isn't worth paying the amount we have to shell out to watch them anymore.

Actually I think my season ticket works out as great value and well worth the outlay. 

Whether all (your words) players are overpaid is, in my view questionable. Some certainly are and a few ridiculously so.  I do agree that those who are very well paid (say £20k per week plus) should have done much more in these difficult times. Statto has been critical and I agree with him . Where I differ from your view is in your generalisation.

Just to add that I am also disgusted by the money made by agents (leeches). Cap player salaries by all means if international agreement can be reached but also cap agents fees.

ALG01

There is a load wrong with football
Too much money
Too much hype
too much cheating on and off the pitch
poor referees
biased referees
weak referees
agents, the whole lot of them
diving
rolling on the floor
generally being pathetic
lack of integrity

But I just have to watch some of those matches on FFCtv or think about wembley portsmouth home to derby carlisle juve and hamburg... kamara at man city  a last minute winner against swansea etc and I know I absolutely am besoted with the game.

What I want is the game to be rid of the cheating and corruption that is self evident to anyone with a brain in their head and eyes to see.