watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dwindling love of the game

Started by Tempest, May 01, 2020, 08:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Over the last few years my passion for football has gone from watching almost every game live on Sky to not missing it one bit during the lockdown.

The game has changed so much from when I really enjoyed the game, or maybe, at nearly 50, I'm finally growing up and football isn't the be all.

The game will come back, eventually,  but I don't think my passion for the sport will, living in the arse end of the Western Lake District I'm not exactly 5 minutes away from the Cottage, so seeing games live are few and far between.

I'll watch what I can of Fulham but football in general, no longer interested.

So many other ways to enjoy life than football, anyone else drifting away?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

bobbo

Afraid not, can't wait for the return.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

mrmicawbers

Only really interested in Fulham and England in tournament's.Don't tend to watch other football on TV.When in the pub before matches might catch a bit on the TV there.These days I find the England qualifying games a chore and don't bother.

Statto

Lost interest in the England national team about 10-15 years ago and very rarely watch or care about their games, even during the big tournaments.

Never really found it satisfying to watch teams besides Fulham.

Also very disappointed with many footballers' conduct during this crisis, which I won't forget for a long time.

But the passion for Fulham will never go and will, like most things, be back to normal by the end of this year, I'm sure

RaySmith

I really miss Fulham games, and can't wait for football to return, though not interested in the game generally.

My support for Fulham has waxed and waned a bit through my life, but being older I find myself even more dependent on the escapism it offers, than when i was younger with more distractions.

Sgt Fulham

VAR has slightly damaged my interest in football but it still remains strong. I cant wait to once again hear the Champions League theme blare out before two heavyweights go at it in a game where anything can happen. I enjoy Fulham games in a different way. The lack of quality sometimes frustrates me, but it is more about passion and a desire to win and see our players do well.

filham

Since retiring Fulham matches have been the big event of the week for me, England games have also been of interest but I rarely watch other football matches.
If I lived in the Lake District , like Tempest, and was fit I would be obsessed with fell walking and bagging peaks.

Twig

Like Statto I have been disappointed in the behaviour of the highly paid elite players. I have also been disgusted by the self serving antics of the game's administrators. I also find the inflated money in the game hard to justify and the bloated money machines like the Champs league a joke. There is a lot to dislike.

Despite that I still have my love of FFC, it's not just football it's the club and the entire experience of supporting Fulham. It's totally unique and for me will never go away. The rest of it I have long since fallen out of love with

WhiteJC

since moving up here to Nottingham my interest in Fulham hasn't diminished however my interest in football has wained, I've zero interest in the Premiership and even less in the Champions League.

I don't get to many home games anymore but Forest, Derby, Burton, Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds are all, at most an hour and a half away so I do get to more away games than I used to.

Fulham 442

I am really missing football and Fulham in particular, although I watch all televised matches.  I agree with Sgt Fulham, I too get frustrated with our lack of quality or consistency at times but that is only because I care so much about Fulham and am always desperate for us to do well, and always will.

Penfold

Once upon a time, I would never dream of missing a home game but, these days, don't even have a season ticket so I can face missing games. However, with this lock down I'd love to watch a live game somewhere, even if only round the corner at my local non league club.

I'm sure there are some other cricket followers on here and I've missed meeting up with my accomplices at Lord's this April. 

gang

One good thing is my bank balance has gone up no flights or fares to worry about.

Southdowns White

Like many on here, I have very little interest in any other professional football, I go to my local Cricket club to watch Fulham games if i'm not actually going to the game and sometimes tag along to wind up my Brighton supporting friends if they are on. If I'm in my local cricket club and there's a game on, I find it difficult to watch, although always want the underdog to win if there is one. To be honest I doubt I would go and watch a professional game if it was at the bottom of the garden and I had a free ticket. I never go out to watch England games and never watch qualifying games even if they are on home TV. If I happen to stumble on a park game at any level (kids to adults)I will stop and watch for a while. I still play at least once a week despite being nearly 55 and have played 11 a side for a vets side this year a couple of times. I also managed to get an over 45 s  six a side competition in the pipeline for May at my local football club, sadly now cancelled.

bog

Fortunately away from all  those in danger or really suffering I do miss my Fulham football. However, becoming 75 next week I am more concerned over when, pre-vaccine, I will feel safe to go down the Cottage once again. 

But what I miss the most is the hugging of my 8 year old twin granddaughters. That longing pushes football well out of the way.

092.gif 

snarks

Going to the cottage regularly and becoming a ST holder rekindled my interest in football generally, I know look forward to the season and the Monday to Sunday when Fulham are playing (depending on when Sky/EFL/Police decide they are)

However I am drifting away from watching football on the tele now, and very rarely do.  Lost interest in England following Italia 90

rebel

Quote from: bog on May 01, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
Fortunately away from all  those in danger or really suffering I do miss my Fulham football. However, becoming 75 next week I am more concerned over when, pre-vaccine, I will feel safe to go down the Cottage once again. 

But what I miss the most is the hugging of my 8 year old twin granddaughters. That longing pushes football well out of the way.

092.gif 

Happy Birthday for next week; Just in case I miss it.

ScalleysDad

My growing disdain for the Prem was not helped by our recent performance in it but like others my ears only p**** up for news on the Championship or Fulham so they have had very little exercise. Prem Football, despite the hints and assurances, might not return until the winter and it could all be a bit messy. Only two or three games in the title could be Liverpools and equally the bottom three could be further adrift thus making the majority of mid table games thereafter rather meaningless. It seems it is the European places that dictate everything. I think the Dutch and the French may have got it right and can focus on a new season, training, transfers and crowd management. The important downside of course is the race for compensation, retaining jobs and the continued existence of some Clubs. What a mess.

BalDrick

I'm not as interested in or excited by it as I was, but last 2 seasons my son (16) has had an ST. There have been a few times when I've got him to bring a mate who's used my ST (one of his mates is, or was pre-CV, becoming a Fulham fan). My journey involves about an hour and a half each way on public transport - without my son's company there's no way I'd have settled for that as an acceptable ratio bearing in mind how dull the football's been of late (yes I know we're third, but we are dull, there's no getting away from it). And now, once things start getting going again, that ratio of 3hrs on public transport for 1.5hrs football - so 4.5hrs of being in too close proximity to other people - isn't going to be worth it I suspect. If it wasn't for my son, for whom next season will be the last before he goes to further education, I wouldn't waste one second deciding whether or not to renew. Tough decision ahead.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

sarnian

Quote from: gang on May 01, 2020, 10:51:23 AM
One good thing is my bank balance has gone up no flights or fares to worry about.

That's the only consolation but I do miss the football. Costs my wife and I about £8k plus season tickets. :54:

Artful Dodger

Having moved back down South in summer 2018 after 25 years in Yorkshire, I have really enjoyed getting to the Cottage far more regularly, especially with my Dad (who's fault this all is anyway!). I am looking forward to getting back whenever we kick off again, especially with the new stand imminent....
Faber est suae quisque fortunae