watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seasons over.

Started by sarnian, May 09, 2020, 09:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarnian

When will the powers that be finally get it into their thick skulls that the current season is over.

German leagues start again next weekend and already they are going to have to postpone at least one game. Dresden have put their entire squad into isolation after a couple of players tested positive for Covid 19.

Imagine the Premiership restarting and then a couple of players from different teams testing positive. Will their whole squad then be quarantined which means postponements of several of their games. How long before players from other teams then start refusing to play because of fears for their families. All games were originally postponed because one manager ( Mikel Arteta ) tested positive. It's not rocket science to see where this will all end.

Finish the season now and make plans for next season to start say in September behind closed doors.
I will be amazed to see any spectators at games this year and possibly for the whole of next season.

Looking forward to my seat in the new Riverside stand in the 2021 - 2022 season for my next game. 093.gif

bobbo

Sarnian,
           I reckon you're on the money there. Every point you make , makes such common sense.
This is so far from over, I'm sure we're looking art months more of this.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Statto

The things I gleaned from this story were, firstly, that the players and staff were each tested 3 separate times last week, which proves the point discussed on another thread, that it's possible to do this sort of mass testing and reduce the risk of a case going undetected to practically zero. Secondly, the players who've tested positive are symptomless, which reinforces the point that for footballers who get this virus, it's unlikely to be anything to worry about

Having to postpone a fixture is far from the end of the world. Let's see how it pans out.

sarnian

Just because the players are symptomless when positive does not stop them passing the virus to  the manager, medical staff, coaching staff etc. Some of these could be seriously infected.  It's not only the players safety that matters.

HobGoblin

Yeah those players who have the virus as they so "Fit" don't mean they can't give to load of other players, thus transferring it onwards.

I'd rather we sacked the season, if it be the top two go up and we stay here or the season restarts. If that means one person don't die, my mum, dad, kids, wife etc, then as far as i care the football can be lost.

MikeTheCubed

Possible solution:

[youtube width=720 height=640]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1y78yMOSo[/youtube]

Andy S

As nobody can say how this will all pan out it's a continuation of wait and see. It can be called off at any time but eventually it becomes a no brainer as to what the next step will be

RaySmith

Germany knows that  it's important to get back to normal , because the consequences of  lockdown can be even worse in the long in than the  virus.

We need to  trying to do this too, and i believe the govt. thinks this, but doesn't want people to think the lock-down sacrifices were a waste of time.
I don't think lockdown has been unnecessary, but   it will be   counter productive to keep it going much longer, and getting  our football back, is important in people feeling they can get back to normal, and raising  the country's morale.

Obviously, testing, and all possible measures,  should be done to   ensure safety of all concerned, but if you wait until thee is no possible risk, then  half the clubs may have gone out of business, and the country in ruins.

Woolly Mammoth

I have not read a single acceptable reason to expect football to commence for a number of months, and that is being optimistic.
Far too many complications, risks, health and legal reasons to name but a few as to why it is not simple and highly unlikely, as well as the hundreds of people still dying in England alone. The only reason it has not been made null and void yet, is for financial reasons, and even those reasons are diminishing very quickly.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Also with noting that 10 players and staff tested positive at other German clubs earlier this week, but it didn't get as widely reported because those clubs just put the individuals into isolation and continued training. It's just Dresden whose local authority have decided to put the whole club into isolation so they cannot play matches.

Unsurprisingly, Dresden are bottom of the league, so would benefit hugely if the season was cancelled rather than resumed.

Suspicious much?

SP

Restarting the season in March works for me.

Peabody

It is not going to be really safe until a cure is found.

filham

Tend to agree with the OP but lets just see how things pan out in Germany , listen to what Boris has to say tonight and then  make a final decision in a couple of weeks time.

To me the choices are either play the last nine games behind closed doors with a possible mid June restart or completely cancel the season and plan for a new season in September with games behind closed doors. Tough on us, Leeds and West Brom. but health has to be the priority.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Peabody on May 10, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
It is not going to be really safe until a cure is found.

This is the hard truth. Either that or a widely distributed vaccine that eradicates  COVID.

As I mentioned on another thread, practically everyone will be taking some form of risk. Some are higher than others .. care workers, people working with young children, etc. So at what stage do you say the risk is acceptable for football even if behind closed doors? And why should the employer have to cover the cost of continuing the lockdown? Now, bigger clubs may be able to afford to pay players, but at some stage we will see insolvencies. Still some time before the risk is deemed to be acceptable, but there will be risk, and there will be costs to not playing.

MikeTheCubed

I think there's always going to be some risk of at least one excess death being directly or semi-directly caused by this virus until the end of time. It's reported that some scientists have cast doubt on whether it's even possible to provide a vaccine for Sars-Cov-2 due to its high mutation rate and number of strains, and even if a promising candidate is put forward it's at this point virtually guaranteed to bypass the normal testing protocols and require a legal indemnity towards the developers in case of vaccine-related injury.

Much of the panic on many fronts is owed to the fact this virus is new and unprecedented. It is not yet well understood how able it is to re-infect someone who has previously recovered or if it's any less dangerous upon re-infection, but it could go either way. The virus could evolve to become more deadly, or the immune systems across the population could naturally over time become better equipped to deal with it much like the common cold.

Mince n Tatties

3 Brighton players have tested positive.
Have to isolate from rest for 14 days.

SuffolkWhite

It may not be safe for football for a year until vaccines are found. Who knows.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Oakeshott

In the light of Boris's statement, the season is surely over now. The much bigger issue is how things will look come July and whether the 20/21 season can get under way this side of Christmas.

It is going to make things tricky for players out of contract, and for some clubs. But no different from hundreds of thousands of employees and thousands of companies, sadly.

Statto

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 10, 2020, 08:07:33 PM
In the light of Boris's statement, the season is surely over now.

From which part of his statement are you inferring that? 

Oakeshott

From the three stage approach shown, which indicates some parts of the hospitality industry may be able to open in July, with social distancing.

No way does football come in to what Boris was proposing as stages 1 and 2, and nor is football possible (without spectators, even) with social distancing.