watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Most stressful game you've watched?

Started by Tempest, June 13, 2020, 09:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Fulham 1-0 v Chelsea,  once Boa scored I bust wanted the final whistle,  never endured a game less than that one, so stressed, celebrating afterwards,  beats anything from 1980 to today for me.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

FulhamStu

Last 20 mins at Wembley v Villa... agony.

grandad

The one later today. Just don´t know what to expect. Will we be up for it more than Brentford? Will our players be committed in tackling? Will we start slowly as usual? So many unknowns.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

Quote from: grandad on June 13, 2020, 09:37:51 AM
The one later today. Just don´t know what to expect. Will we be up for it more than Brentford? Will our players be committed in tackling? Will we start slowly as usual? So many unknowns.
Sorry to say the Brentford game is a week away. You have to manage your tension for another week.
However I know exactly how you feel, it is worse than anything we have known. We have all the unknows of a new season, where we always need bedding in time, plus the must win pressures of a nine match run in.

Fernhurst

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 13, 2020, 09:15:41 AM

Oh yes, and the sheer delight when the final whistle blew, unbelievable.
Such a shame we became one season wonders.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Fully agree, I said after the match that I never want those last 20 minutes to be repeated and now we could be facing something similar again in July.

Buffalo76

Sgt Fulham

Weirdly it went much quicker than I thought it would once Odoi got sent off. It was agony, but the fans did their part and roared the team on rather than transmitting nervous energy on to the pitch. It was fantastic.

For me it was the Europa League final. The whole day was dedicated to it and the countdown took forever. It still breaks my heart thinking back to the 117th minute. We had been on top towards the end of the game and I thought we would do it. That team deserved to do it.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Buffalo76 on June 13, 2020, 10:14:31 AM

It is really funny but I wasn't stressed at all in that match.  I just knew we were going to win and I am someone who is normally screaming at the ref to blow the whistle if we've got a narrow lead!  One game that shredded my nerves was Sheffield United 4 Fulham 5!!

Statto

1-1 at home to Preston a few years ago.

We were 1-0 down most of the game, and deserved about four equalisers, and the main thing stopping us getting one sooner was the shocking refereeing.

Two absolute, crystal clear, stone wall penalties turned down right in front of where I sit. Never seen Fulham fans so livid as they were after the second one. Every person in my block was on their feet, screaming abuse at the ref, climbing all over each other just to launch the insults from a few inches closer. Even the old posh boys who are normally very quiet and civil. C-words coming from all directions. I was doing the same and when I eventually sat back down, I found I was literally trembling with rage, something I've only experienced a few times in my life.

Southcoastffc

No question for me - Portsmouth away when Danny Murphy's header kept us in the premiership.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 13, 2020, 10:57:58 AM
No question for me - Portsmouth away when Danny Murphy's header kept us in the premiership.

How could I have forgotten that one!  I was working and had a radio in the cash desk with me.  Once he scored I locked up and watched the rest of the match in the staff room, pacing the whole time!

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Statto on June 13, 2020, 10:37:12 AM
1-1 at home to Preston a few years ago.

We were 1-0 down most of the game, and deserved about four equalisers, and the main thing stopping us getting one sooner was the shocking refereeing.

Two absolute, crystal clear, stone wall penalties turned down right in front of where I sit. Never seen Fulham fans so livid as they were after the second one. Every person in my block was on their feet, screaming abuse at the ref, climbing all over each other just to launch the insults from a few inches closer. Even the old posh boys who are normally very quiet and civil. C-words coming from all directions. I was doing the same and when I eventually sat back down, I found I was literally trembling with rage, something I've only experienced a few times in my life.

I remember that game. The celebration was a mad blur of justice and resentment towards the ref more than anything. I imagine Bristol City at home (and away) this season must have had a similar level of venom towards the ref. Its cases when it seems they're trying to wind up the crowd with their awful decisions as if they support QPR or Brentford.

Plodder

Last 20 minutes at Wembley, plus the Portsmouth game mentioned above, but for the older ones amongst us, the finale of the 1-1 draw v Lincoln City  which secured us promotion in 1981/82 in the last game of the season (we needed to draw, they needed to win), with the desperate head tennis in our own penalty area in the dying seconds.

Camel Club

For me it was the Lincoln game in '82 because it was the first time we'd had a realistic chance of promotion since I'd been a supporter. Plus the fact that Lincoln absolutely battered us after they went down to 10 men and we took the lead. 

At Wembley, whilst I kept looking at the clock and of course the tome dragged, I always felt we were fairly comfortable. What I do remember is that I thought we were only about 3 minutes in to the added 5 when the ref blew his whistle.

Tonywa

For me the 1966 away game at Northampton during the real great escape.  We seemed certs for relegation at New Year, but slowly dragged ourselves back into the mix with some terrific results. The Northampton game was basically a question of whoever won the game stayed up. in the top division.  It was quite incredibly tense with the match swinging one way and then another until Steve Earle ran pretty well the length of the pitch to score and we held on for a 4-2 win if memory serves.  An incredible afternoon.

filham

Quote from: Tonywa on June 13, 2020, 01:42:11 PM
For me the 1966 away game at Northampton during the real great escape.  We seemed certs for relegation at New Year, but slowly dragged ourselves back into the mix with some terrific results. The Northampton game was basically a question of whoever won the game stayed up. in the top division.  It was quite incredibly tense with the match swinging one way and then another until Steve Earle ran pretty well the length of the pitch to score and we held on for a 4-2 win if memory serves.  An incredible afternoon.
Remember that one , but we were well on top scoring four goals and Earl was pure class.

filham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 13, 2020, 10:57:58 AM
Oh yes, that was real  tense. I was watching screens at the Cottage under the Hammy End Stands. We were noisy , especially when Danny scored, but from then until the end of the game it was so tense and silent.

os5889 mkII

@OsmithFFC

Motspur Park

Villa at Wembley. Portsmouth away and Blackburn away. At Blackburn there was a clock behind us and I swear it must have been going backwards. Another was the Leicester away in the League cup where we were ahead and lost in the last few minutes. I didn't believe we could lose from the position we were in.