watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Most stressful game you've watched?

Started by Tempest, June 13, 2020, 09:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

An honorary mention for Hamburg at home.

HobGoblin

Hamburg semi final. After Gera scored. if they'd have scored it would have been utter dejection. But thankfully they didn't 😀

Fernhurst

This Saturday coming mind crunching fixture. We need to start at a million miles an hour and if it's tight near the end I will not be able to watch.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

GUAS W7

For me it was the second half of the Chelsea 1-0. Driogba had one ruled out for playing badketball on the half way line not long after Boa had scored. The second half felt like a month. At the end as I was  swept - not unwillingly - towards the pitch a senior police officer tapped me on the shoulder and said  "You're not going to make a c**t of yourself are you sir ?"
So often with Fulham it is the hope that kills you but on that day it all came good - but oh so stressful.

SuffolkWhite

I think all the above but probably because I was a young teenager Lincoln at home seemed agonising. 
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bog

Quote from: Tonywa on June 13, 2020, 01:42:11 PM
For me the 1966 away game at Northampton during the real great escape.  We seemed certs for relegation at New Year, but slowly dragged ourselves back into the mix with some terrific results. The Northampton game was basically a question of whoever won the game stayed up. in the top division.  It was quite incredibly tense with the match swinging one way and then another until Steve Earle ran pretty well the length of the pitch to score and we held on for a 4-2 win if memory serves.  An incredible afternoon.

I was there that long gone day. Will never forget Steve Earle's breakaway goal at the end.  Or the home club's fans chanting 'Cobblers! Cobblers!' Not as good as 'Dicks out! Dicks out!' though. :005:

092.gif

bog

For me the last 20 minutes at Wembley. Added time stood with my family in the White Wall when the thunderous cheering helped to bring them home really got to me....then the final whistle.... :yay: :yay: :clap_hands: :clap_hands: 049:gif 049:gif

092.gif

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It is interesting that most people here have chose my big five. Northampton 1966 when they hit the bar and
I don't remember us being entirely in control until Steve Earle made it 4-2, Fulham beating Chelsea 1-0 which due to having to visit a serious parent illness I had to miss and watched in a Chelsea stronghold pub, Danny Murphy at Portsmouth listening at home with my wife telling me to sit down as walking up and down the room would make no difference. The Villa playoff where we could never feel comfortable. And finally the Euro final.
My most relaxed time. Wembley 1975. Rightly or wrongly I was just proud to have seen them walk out there.

Jim©

Wembley play off edges it for me. Dennis made it interesting though. There was a Norwood tackle on the edge of the box that I heard from our end, it was an absolute cruncher that for some reason I thought the ref had lifted the whistle to his mouth for a pen. Targett got skinned a few times down his side too, one of them looked like he tried to rugby tackle their winger as he went passed!

Hamburg was horrible too- i think Ruud VN had a good chance near the very very end that he hit- at that second I thought we were done. That would have been gutting.
Pompey great escape was pretty bad too. They created few but had the ball in our half quite a bit which made me uncomfortable.

F(f)CUK

The whole of the second half of the playoff final plus Portsmouth away.  I only started to believe that we would win the playoff final about 1 minute from the end and I had a massive tension headache resulting from the stress of the Portsmouth game.

RaySmith

Pompey was definitely stressful, as was the whole  of the Great Escape. beating City away gave a glimmer  of hope, but would  we  be  beaten to the post  in the final minutes.
As it was we only stayed up on goal difference over Reading.

You have to hand it to Roy, though, and the team he put together and the  way he had them playing and team spirit, with such as Danny Murphy in the side.

The play of semi final was stressful in the build up and most of the game, and the Final was definitely  very stressful in the closing stages.

Have to say, though, that I generally find Fulham games stressful, however far in front we go.
Last season was all very stressful, and to go to places like Burnley and West ham, when we we  desperate for another Great Escape to happen, and go a goal up, then lose, was totally gutting.

Jack Fulham

For some reason this game always sticks in my mind

Losing at home to Phil Brown's Hull when they had not won a game for 3 months, they parked the bus and scored 90 min winner, Manucho was the goal scorer...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7908471.stm#:~:text=An%20injury%2Dtime%20goal%20from,a%20game%20that%20Fulham%20dominated.

I tend enjoy the high pressure games, Pompey away and playoff final just felt like it was gonna happen but both those those teams were in great form. I found the Europa League final was a blur (long day). Neutral friends tell me the game was quite boring...

Andy S

When you have supported the club as long as I have there will have been far to many to remember just one. I think that we will have a few more like that this season but hey I wouldn't swap our position for that of the teams further down the league with nothing to play for. It's in our hands

HillingdonFFC

Watched the Great Escape Pompey game at the Golden Lion & couldn't watch the last ten minutes. Was pacing up & down the road listening to the reaction from the pub with my brother whose a bigger nutter than me with this kind of thing. Burst into tears at the end. Wasn't sleeping well in the days leading up to it. Grown men acting like tw*+s over a game of football.
Last 5 of Hamburg was unbearable too.
Think the worst was Wembley . When Odoi got sent off my brother couldn't take it & buggered off to a pub, I went down & sat at the foot of the stairs like a 17 stone pixie listening to the crowd. A steward was saying you'll be ok, he said I can tell whose scored. Every time there was a cheer he said that's your fans. At the end when we were hanging on he momentarily thought the final whistle roar was a Villa goal. I almost had a heart attack until I started getting texts almost immediately saying well done.
I had to take the lift up & went running out into the stand like David Pleat at Maine Road. One of the best days of my life but will always regret not seeing the final whistle

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 15, 2020, 11:13:58 PM
Watched the Great Escape Pompey game at the Golden Lion & couldn't watch the last ten minutes. Was pacing up & down the road listening to the reaction from the pub with my brother whose a bigger nutter than me with this kind of thing. Burst into tears at the end. Wasn't sleeping well in the days leading up to it. Grown men acting like tw*+s over a game of football.
Last 5 of Hamburg was unbearable too.
Think the worst was Wembley . When Odoi got sent off my brother couldn't take it & buggered off to a pub, I went down & sat at the foot of the stairs like a 17 stone pixie listening to the crowd. A steward was saying you'll be ok, he said I can tell whose scored. Every time there was a cheer he said that's your fans. At the end when we were hanging on he momentarily thought the final whistle roar was a Villa goal. I almost had a heart attack until I started getting texts almost immediately saying well done.
I had to take the lift up & went running out into the stand like David Pleat at Maine Road. One of the best days of my life but will always regret not seeing the final whistle

Great account. The final whistle in the playoff final can be best described as finally grasping dry land after drowning for ages. Sheer relief and primal joy. If I wasnt in the stadium I would have been behind the sofa too.

Jims Dentist

Fulham v  Lincoln the 1 - 1  midweek draw that secured our promotion from 3rd to 2nd div.
Being mid week barely had a drink beforehand so the tension was even more intense when Lincoln bombarded us late 2nd half.
But hero Roger Brown got us through.