Main Menu

I don't think we were that bad...?

Started by Brawn, June 21, 2020, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

Possession: 48.3% - 51.7%
Shots (on target): 9 (4) - 13 (5).
Passing accuracy: 82.4% - 82.7%

The five-subs thing really hurt us, not least because we have very little squad depth anyway. An indication of that is Sylvester Jasper on the bench. The opposition are allowed to play well, you know. Brentford were very good, as were we. I thought we edged the first half and Mitrovic missed two or three good chances (being a yard offside for the "goal" didn't help either) and BDR should have scored when he hit the woodwork. The "fair" result, to my mind, would have been a draw or a 1-0 Brentford win, because they had bench options that were able to change the game. Cavaleiro was the only equivalent for us and he did come on. Reed was knackered and needed to come off (remember he hadn't played since 1 January), and Arter was a like-for-like sub so I'm not sure you can really blame Parker. Every time we lose people want Parker gone - it's almost like he's not even being given a fair chance, because people have an unrealistic expectation that we should be cakewalking the league. Leeds, West Brom, and Brentford, I felt (and have done since August) were better than us, and we shouldn't be upset at not dominating the league. We have had a few too many bad days this season, yes, but a lot of bad luck too (Reading, this game). Mind you, we are the club who unfairly gave Meulensteen the boot after 13 games in charge when things were turning a corner, so why am I surprised about some of the "reaction"? People want Scotty gone because he's not Slavisa Jokanovic. Equally, some people wanted Claudio Ranieri gone after about 3 or 4 games! Slav's not coming back. Get over it.

glenhodgso

In fairness it could equally have been 2-0 to us.

Fine margins

Brentford are a good team that will win more games.

So are we.

Whitestone

We weren't that bad. When we lose this board to goes into meltdown. All very normal in this not very normal world. Brentford are well drilled and due to tiredness, lapse in concentration or whatever nicked it at the end. It'll all be forgotten IF we beat Leeds.

Brawn

Quote from: Whitestone on June 21, 2020, 11:41:29 PM
We weren't that bad. When we lose this board to goes into meltdown. All very normal in this not very normal world. Brentford are well drilled and due to tiredness, lapse in concentration or whatever nicked it at the end. It'll all be forgotten IF we beat Leeds.

It's a bit odd but I'm now more optimistic than I was before - Jeff Stelling pointed out that only one home team won in the Championship on Saturday, a trait spotted in the Bundesliga too since restart.

colinwhite

Agree with most of that. We had the better chances and could easily have won. 2-0 flattered them massively. So many people saying that they are such a good side and we are so boring. We play exactly the same system and football ,only we do it better than them. Mind you with our squad we should walk all over every other team in the division they say if we do win. still 8 games to go and anything can happen.

Moltobueno

I actually thought there's only one team who tried to play football in the first 25minutes of both half-times. And it wasn't Brentford, they just tried counter attacks while we started organizing our attacks from back.  1500.gif

Sgt Fulham

We weren't that bad, but given our resources 'not that bad' doesnt cut it. It's not the one result that prompts the negativity, it is the constant failure to capitalise on chances to push for autos.

The Rational Fan

For me the game against Brentford contained three positives: i) Reed established himself as a quality defensive midfield, ii) Kebano established himself a good squad player as an occasional player and sub alternative to Kamara; and iii)  our defense held out against one of the best attacks in the league until we got desperate for a goal.

Woolly Mammoth

I am to understand that it is only our second defeat in 13 League games.
We also are on an unbeaten run of seven away games in the League so Leeds who are vulnerable at home with a full house of supporters will find us a tough opponent without their home support.
Some people on this forum want blood at times. We have to bounce back at Leeds if we are to get back on track Parker knows and the players know that a win at Leeds will restore faith in their attempt to achieve promotion, and of course if we come across Brentford in the play offs, then so be it, if we are good enough we will win if we are not we will lose, and if we lose it is back to the Ironing Board and the Championship next season and we try again, no good wanting blood all time except for the cracked recruitment unit who overall are the weakest link and woefully mediocre.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2020, 07:17:29 AM
We also are on an unbeaten run of seven away games in the League so Leeds who are vulnerable at home with a full house of supporters will find us a tough opponent without their home support.
Some people on this forum want blood at times. We have to bounce back at Leeds if we are to get back on track Parker knows and the players know that a win at Leeds will restore faith in their attempt to achieve promotion, and of course if we come across Brentford in the play offs, then so be it, if we are good enough we will win if we are not we will lose, and if we lose it is back to the Championship next season and we try again, no good wanting blood all time except the recruitment team who overall are woefully mediocre.

We have recruited more quality players over the past 30 months than any other team in the Championship, I don't care whether Tony Khan wasted a fair bit of his inheritance over paying for players he likes, he got good players and we should be very pleased. There are professional recruitments clue with less clue than Tony Khan like ManU, I hope he keeps the cash tap pouring in.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 22, 2020, 07:53:10 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2020, 07:17:29 AM
Some people on this forum want blood at times. We have to bounce back at Leeds if we are to get back on track Parker knows and the players know that a win at Leeds will restore faith in their attempt to achieve promotion, and of course if we come across Brentford in the play offs, then so be it, if we are good enough we will win if we are not we will lose, and if we lose it is back to the Championship next season and we try again, no good wanting blood all time except the recruitment team who overall are woefully mediocre.

We have recruited more quality players over the past 30 months than any other team in the Championship, I don't care whether Tony Khan wasted a fair bit of his inheritance over paying for players he likes, he got good players and we should be very pleased. There are professional recruitments clue with less clue than Tony Khan like ManU, I hope he keeps the cash tap pouring in.

I have a feeling that the owners son will not be involved as much in heading the recruitment drive as he was as it appears even his father has said enough is enough, and he was only part time anyway and you cannot have a D of F 3,000 miles away poncing around with his head in wrestling the Jags and other projects.
Since the demise of his best mate the brash and unbearable CK who eventually fell on his sword after TK ran out of excuses for him and could not defend his behaviour any further his credibility has slid down some what as you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Nevertheless, since his fall from grace and his fathers decision to have a quiet word in his shell like ear, we may see a vast improvement in the incomings in future including not so many loanees and bigger characters and more leaders.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

I don't think we were that bad, if only Mitro's close range header had not been saved.

092.gif

Southdowns White

I think we were very naive, they came with a plan and it came off, I thought we seemed happy to see out the game for a point and Parker thought they were happy with that, we were not prepared for them upping the tempo for the last 10 minute. If Parker wants to continue managing any club he needs to know when to up the tempo and play a quicker more attacking game and when to defend with his players lives. Yes the first half was better on Saturday but overall I felt we may have controlled the ball at times but did not control the game, something we have suffered from during many games this season.

Statto

I actually think we were more dominant than those stats indicate because they don't show the quality of our chances, which was significantly higher than Brentford's

However I disagree that we have little squad depth. Most of Saturday's bench were decent top 6 players and that's with AK47, Mawson and Kongolo out. No one in this division has  a squad of 20 Hectors and Mitrovics.

Stevieboy

I thought we played well, but as the game wore on it was obvious that Brentford's plan was too keep us out and go for it in the last 15 mins as legs and minds tired.
Lapse of concentration leading to the cross that was bundled in by Benramen, only thing he did!
2nd goal typical Fulham, pushing for equaliser and being hit on the break.
I can see us beating Leeds and West Brom, and I can see Brentford beating West Brom to really mix it up.
Dare I say I can see us being within touching distance, needing 1 point and being beaten by Wigan on last day to end a very Fulhamish season. I do hope I'm wrong on the latter scenario!

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

rebel

Quote from: Brawn on June 21, 2020, 10:59:02 PM

The five-subs thing really hurt us, not least because we have very little squad depth anyway. An indication of that is Sylvester Jasper on the bench. The opposition are allowed to play well, you know. Brentford were very good, as were we. I thought we edged the first half and Mitrovic missed two or three good chances (being a yard offside for the "goal" didn't help either) and BDR should have scored when he hit the woodwork. The "fair" result, to my mind, would have been a draw or a 1-0 Brentford win, because they had bench options that were able to change the game. Cavaleiro was the only equivalent for us and he did come on. Reed was knackered and needed to come off (remember he hadn't played since 1 January), and Arter was a like-for-like sub so I'm not sure you can really blame Parker. Every time we lose people want Parker gone - it's almost like he's not even being given a fair chance, because people have an unrealistic expectation that we should be cakewalking the league. Leeds, West Brom, and Brentford, I felt (and have done since August) were better than us, and we shouldn't be upset at not dominating the league. We have had a few too many bad days this season, yes, but a lot of bad luck too (Reading, this game). Mind you, we are the club who unfairly gave Meulensteen the boot after 13 games in charge when things were turning a corner, so why am I surprised about some of the "reaction"? People want Scotty gone because he's not Slavisa Jokanovic. Equally, some people wanted Claudio Ranieri gone after about 3 or 4 games! Slav's not coming back. Get over it.

The thing is that the current squad is much better then any other squad in the Championship, it is better then the squad  that Slavisa Jokanovic lead to promotion. The squad are performing well below their potential and that has been the case all season. I can't remember a single performance where we actually controlled the game from start to finish (Millwall, but they didn't turn up). That is what it is going to take to get promoted.     

filham

We didn't score at home, to my mind that is always bad and Parker needs to address that before the Leeds game.
Not sure though what he can do about it other than a lot of shooting practice for Ried and perhaps getting Kamara fit.
Also like to see a few shots at goal from Cairney, that sweet left foot of hisis not being put to its best use.

Oh and our inside out wide men are really not effective, defenders are now 99% certain that they are always coming inside.

colinwhite

Quote from: rebel on June 22, 2020, 09:48:03 AM

The thing is that the current squad is much better then any other squad in the Championship, it is better then the squad  that Slavisa Jokanovic lead to promotion. The squad are performing well below their potential and that has been the case all season. I can't re-memory a single performance where we actually controlled the game from start to finish (Millwall, but they didn't turn up). That is what it is going to take to get promoted.     

Come on ? by far the best squad in the championship ? fed  up hearing that getting churned out as an argument. Clearly we are not at the moment as the table shows. Football teams and players are only as good as their last performances. They are  perishable goods and what they have achieved before matters for nothing.You choose not to see the games we have totally dominated ,as you make clear about the Millwall game with your subtext, that they didnt turn up. We havent always made the most of our domination of teams (west Brom springs to mind when we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time ) . Even man city or Liverpool dont dominate teams for 90 minutes. We havent been great in every game ,but played well or at least ok in most . Im not happy with the defeat , but they were fortunaye to get the goal when they did and as in previous matches ,if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight. Ok you think Parker is the problem ,and maybe he is, but stop claiming that we have the best squad in the championship as if its agiven ,because it isnt.

Holders

Agree with most of the above. The game could have gone either way; 2-0 flattered them but it was poor marking, probably through tiredness, that led to the first goal. I think AK, had he been fit, would have been the right sub for the last 20 minutes and could well have made the difference.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rebel

Quote from: colinwhite on June 22, 2020, 10:13:48 AM
Quote from: rebel on June 22, 2020, 09:48:03 AM

The thing is that the current squad is much better then any other squad in the Championship, it is better then the squad  that Slavisa Jokanovic lead to promotion. The squad are performing well below their potential and that has been the case all season. I can't re-memory a single performance where we actually controlled the game from start to finish (Millwall, but they didn't turn up). That is what it is going to take to get promoted.     

Come on ? by far the best squad in the championship ? fed  up hearing that getting churned out as an argument. Clearly we are not at the moment as the table shows. Football teams and players are only as good as their last performances. They are  perishable goods and what they have achieved before matters for nothing.You choose not to see the games we have totally dominated ,as you make clear about the Millwall game with your subtext, that they didnt turn up. We havent always made the most of our domination of teams (west Brom springs to mind when we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time ) . Even man city or Liverpool dont dominate teams for 90 minutes. We havent been great in every game ,but played well or at least ok in most . Im not happy with the defeat , but they were fortunaye to get the goal when they did and as in previous matches ,if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight. Ok you think Parker is the problem ,and maybe he is, but stop claiming that we have the best squad in the championship as if its agiven ,because it isnt.

Thank you for making my argument for me. Man City and Liverpool do dominate teams for 90 minutes, you need to watch a bit more of them if you don't think they do. The stats show their domination.