watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I don't think we were that bad...?

Started by Brawn, June 21, 2020, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Ok your minds made up, and you clearly didnt see the Liverpool Everton game last night.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: colinwhite on June 22, 2020, 10:13:48 AM
Quote from: rebel on June 22, 2020, 09:48:03 AM
Quote from: Brawn on June 21, 2020, 10:59:02 PM
Possession: 48.3% - 51.7%
Shots (on target): 9 (4) - 13 (5).
Passing accuracy: 82.4% - 82.7%

The five-subs thing really hurt us, not least because we have very little squad depth anyway. An indication of that is Sylvester Jasper on the bench. The opposition are allowed to play well, you know. Brentford were very good, as were we. I thought we edged the first half and Mitrovic missed two or three good chances (being a yard offside for the "goal" didn't help either) and BDR should have scored when he hit the woodwork. The "fair" result, to my mind, would have been a draw or a 1-0 Brentford win, because they had bench options that were able to change the game. Cavaleiro was the only equivalent for us and he did come on. Reed was knackered and needed to come off (remember he hadn't played since 1 January), and Arter was a like-for-like sub so I'm not sure you can really blame Parker. Every time we lose people want Parker gone - it's almost like he's not even being given a fair chance, because people have an unrealistic expectation that we should be cakewalking the league. Leeds, West Brom, and Brentford, I felt (and have done since August) were better than us, and we shouldn't be upset at not dominating the league. We have had a few too many bad days this season, yes, but a lot of bad luck too (Reading, this game). Mind you, we are the club who unfairly gave Meulensteen the boot after 13 games in charge when things were turning a corner, so why am I surprised about some of the "reaction"? People want Scotty gone because he's not Slavisa Jokanovic. Equally, some people wanted Claudio Ranieri gone after about 3 or 4 games! Slav's not coming back. Get over it.

The thing is that the current squad is much better then any other squad in the Championship, it is better then the squad  that Slavisa Jokanovic lead to promotion. The squad are performing well below their potential and that has been the case all season. I can't re-memory a single performance where we actually controlled the game from start to finish (Millwall, but they didn't turn up). That is what it is going to take to get promoted.     

Come on ? by far the best squad in the championship ? fed  up hearing that getting churned out as an argument. Clearly we are not at the moment as the table shows. Football teams and players are only as good as their last performances. They are  perishable goods and what they have achieved before matters for nothing.You choose not to see the games we have totally dominated ,as you make clear about the Millwall game with your subtext, that they didnt turn up. We havent always made the most of our domination of teams (west Brom springs to mind when we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time ) . Even man city or Liverpool dont dominate teams for 90 minutes. We havent been great in every game ,but played well or at least ok in most . Im not happy with the defeat , but they were fortunaye to get the goal when they did and as in previous matches ,if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight. Ok you think Parker is the problem ,and maybe he is, but stop claiming that we have the best squad in the championship as if its agiven ,because it isnt.

We are clearly not the best squad in the Championship by any stretch of the imagination as the results and performances indicate, and just because we have spent and wasted more money than other clubs does not make us the best squad, you only have to ask Barnsley both home and away the two legged affair resulted in a 0 4 defeat and they are fighting relegation, and expectations are far too high.
Against a very good Brentford outfit we held our own until we tired badly and they had more possession than Fulham. But it is no disgrace to lose to Brentford  who are a very well drilled outfit who are capable of beating anyone in the Championship on their day.  We are capable of winning at Leeds but we have to up the tempo in our performances with an improved game management, and players must win their own battles, and stand up and be counted. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: colinwhite on June 22, 2020, 10:59:44 AM
Ok your minds made up, and you clearly didnt see the Liverpool Everton game last night.

Was it the match after a 3 month absence? Oh must be, 3 months is a bit of a 'momentum killer.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2020, 11:11:58 AM

The five-subs thing really hurt us, not least because we have very little squad depth anyway. An indication of that is Sylvester Jasper on the bench. The opposition are allowed to play well, you know. Brentford were very good, as were we. I thought we edged the first half and Mitrovic missed two or three good chances (being a yard offside for the "goal" didn't help either) and BDR should have scored when he hit the woodwork. The "fair" result, to my mind, would have been a draw or a 1-0 Brentford win, because they had bench options that were able to change the game. Cavaleiro was the only equivalent for us and he did come on. Reed was knackered and needed to come off (remember he hadn't played since 1 January), and Arter was a like-for-like sub so I'm not sure you can really blame Parker. Every time we lose people want Parker gone - it's almost like he's not even being given a fair chance, because people have an unrealistic expectation that we should be cakewalking the league. Leeds, West Brom, and Brentford, I felt (and have done since August) were better than us, and we shouldn't be upset at not dominating the league. We have had a few too many bad days this season, yes, but a lot of bad luck too (Reading, this game). Mind you, we are the club who unfairly gave Meulensteen the boot after 13 games in charge when things were turning a corner, so why am I surprised about some of the "reaction"? People want Scotty gone because he's not Slavisa Jokanovic. Equally, some people wanted Claudio Ranieri gone after about 3 or 4 games! Slav's not coming back. Get over it.

The thing is that the current squad is much better then any other squad in the Championship, it is better then the squad  that Slavisa Jokanovic lead to promotion. The squad are performing well below their potential and that has been the case all season. I can't re-memory a single performance where we actually controlled the game from start to finish (Millwall, but they didn't turn up). That is what it is going to take to get promoted.     

Come on ? by far the best squad in the championship ? fed  up hearing that getting churned out as an argument. Clearly we are not at the moment as the table shows. Football teams and players are only as good as their last performances. They are  perishable goods and what they have achieved before matters for nothing.You choose not to see the games we have totally dominated ,as you make clear about the Millwall game with your subtext, that they didnt turn up. We havent always made the most of our domination of teams (west Brom springs to mind when we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time ) . Even man city or Liverpool dont dominate teams for 90 minutes. We havent been great in every game ,but played well or at least ok in most . Im not happy with the defeat , but they were fortunaye to get the goal when they did and as in previous matches ,if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight. Ok you think Parker is the problem ,and maybe he is, but stop claiming that we have the best squad in the championship as if its agiven ,because it isnt.

We are clearly not the best squad in the Championship by any stretch of the imagination as the results and performances indicate, and just because we have spent and wasted more money than other clubs does not make us the best squad, you only have to ask Barnsley both home and away the two legged affair resulted in a 0 4 defeat and they are fighting relegation, and expectations are far too high.
Against a very good Brentford outfit we held our own until we tired badly and they had more possession than Fulham. But it is no disgrace to lose to Brentford  who are a very well drilled outfit who are capable of beating anyone in the Championship on their day.  We are capable of winning at Leeds but we have to up the tempo in our performances with an improved game management, and players must win their own battles, and stand up and be counted. 

There is no doubt that we have the best squad in the Championship, forget about me saying that, ask managers, fans, media they will all tell you that. The manager hasn't got them to perform.

Statto

Come on ? by far the best squad in the championship ? fed  up hearing that getting churned out as an argument. Clearly we are not at the moment as the table shows. Football teams and players are only as good as their last performances.

But clearly that logic doesn't work either. Otherwise you could never say any group of players was underperforming or overperforming because of good or bad manager. You'd have to conclude that we only beat Juventus under Hodgson because we had better players than them, and we were only bottom of the Championship under Magath because we had the worst players in the league at that time. But in reality we all know that wasn't the case.

It's perfectly possible for the best group of players in the league to be languishing in third because they're poorly set up, not motivated etc.

colinwhite

Ok Statto to a degree, but the players are responsible for their performances and results tend to reflect this in the long term if  not in the short. Past merits count for nothing either,players are only as good as they are now. Interesting that Rebel doesnt see that the 3 month break might possibly have effected our momentum.

ALG01

in my opinion,

The game V brentford was very close and could have gone either way

but we are not using cairney to best advantage because he remains to wide and too advanced. We dominated the the first 20 minutes of the second half when he dropped deeper and more central. this is a recurring theme SP keeps getting wrong and slav got right. use your best player in the position where he can do most damage to the opposition rather than place him where he is devalued.

We also proved the squad is nowhere near as good as some keep saying it is. brentford's subs improved them, our made us worse.

When reed went off, kmac should have replaced him. bryan should have been replaced by christie moving odoi to LB. cav is useless, but if he had to come on it should have been for knock who was tiring and at least kebano was full of energy. We have nobody to assist and get close to Mitro and we never hit them quickly on the counter.

They were better organised and looked more likely in general and I think their manager seemed more astute. Nevertheless we could just have easilly have won and i think brentford were in the end very flattered by the scoreline, they never really troubled rodak who didn't cover himself in glory for the second, up until the first goal.

Fulham 442

My thoughts exactly.  If we were the best team in the Championship we would not have lost twice to Barnsley for starters.  Getting sick of hearing this argument churned out time and time again...

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Southdowns White on June 22, 2020, 08:44:09 AM
I think we were very naive, they came with a plan and it came off, I thought we seemed happy to see out the game for a point and Parker thought they were happy with that, we were not prepared for them upping the tempo for the last 10 minute. If Parker wants to continue managing any club he needs to know when to up the tempo and play a quicker more attacking game and when to defend with his players lives. Yes the first half was better on Saturday but overall I felt we may have controlled the ball at times but did not control the game, something we have suffered from during many games this season.

Disagree that Parker was playing for a point.  It's simply his style of play.    And anyone expecting the likes of Mitro and Tom Cairney to up their tempo after not playing serious football for 3 months isn't being realistic.

The difference maker we normally bring on is AK47, whose pace and strength can have a positive effect over tired defenses, wasn't available.

We started with our best CDM...

The only problem I had was not starting with Cav on the right, Bobby as a winger on the left, and Stefjo, Reed and Cairney in the middle.   But, hindsight being 20/20 I didn't have a huge problem with our lineup.

We also had (arguably) our best FBs on the pitch...who played ok/good for most of the game.

Brentford did what they needed to do and got a win.   Giving them props.

Brawn

Prior to lockdown I said at a funeral to some distant family members that Brentford (who they support) are the best team in this division, and I think I'm vindicated by that. I'd wager we are Leeds are the 3rd/4th best teams in this league. We only believe our team is "the best" because we've been fed a bunch of hype around several players.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rebel on June 22, 2020, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2020, 11:11:58 AM

There is no doubt that we have the best squad in the Championship, forget about me saying that, ask managers, fans, media they will all tell you that. The manager hasn't got them to perform.

Then we will have to agree to disagree on this occasion.
The League Table over 46 games does not lie, and unfortunately I am disappointed to have to say that if we have to take the route via the play offs, then I fear we will not make it to the promised land.
I will not be happy to be proved right, but just trying to be realistic.
Having said that we can still make a fist for an automatic place, but we need to beat Leeds on Saturday to keep us in touch.
Otherwise if it is the playoffs the players are going to have to step up a gear, if it is automatically then we know that they already have stepped up a gear.

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

As I've stated before,there are fans of clubs in the league saying the same that they are under performing as they think they have the best squad in the league,eg Derby,Forest to name two.
Its all about what people think about individual players,different opinions.
Take me 3 of our side on Saturday wouldn't get in the top two teams or Derby and Forest,but that's only my opinion, everyone's is different..

@jolslover

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 23, 2020, 08:56:43 AM
As I've stated before,there are fans of clubs in the league saying the same that they are under performing as they think they have the best squad in the league,eg Derby,Forest to name two.
Take me 3 of our side on Saturday wouldn't get in the top two teams or Derby and Forest,but that's only my opinion, everyone's is different..

hahah no Derby or Forest fan thinks they have the best team in the league - if they do then that opinion is not widely held at all - fans of other clubs / pundits and even other managers have said we have the best squad available

Please introduce me to the person that thinks the below is the best team in the league - they are nuts

B Hamer
J Bogle
A Wisdom
M Clarke
C Forsyth
W Rooney
M Bird
D Holmes
L Sibley
T Lawrence
M Waghorn
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Brawn on June 22, 2020, 10:24:12 PM
Prior to lockdown I said at a funeral to some distant family members that Brentford (who they support) are the best team in this division, and I think I'm vindicated by that. I'd wager we are Leeds are the 3rd/4th best teams in this league. We only believe our team is "the best" because we've been fed a bunch of hype around several players.

No we believe our team is the best because if you breakdown the squads we have the squad of players that have achieved the most in the Championship - by far, no debating that
STH H3

rebel

Quote from: @jolslover on June 23, 2020, 09:05:58 AM

hahah no Derby or Forest fan thinks they have the best team in the league - if they do then that opinion is not widely held at all - fans of other clubs / pundits and even other managers have said we have the best squad available

Please introduce me to the person that thinks the below is the best team in the league - they are nuts

B Hamer
J Bogle
A Wisdom
M Clarke
C Forsyth
W Rooney
M Bird
D Holmes
L Sibley
T Lawrence
M Waghorn

Agree 100%.

Mince n Tatties

B Hamer
J Bogle
A Wisdom
M Clarke
C Forsyth
W Rooney
M Bird
D Holmes
L Sibley
T Lawrence
M Waghorn

Notice there not enough foreign players in there for you,as you are obsessed with them.
Didn't you say Seri would be one of our best when we signed him,in fact useless signing one of our worst.
Its all about opinions
So you know all Derby and Forest fans do you?
I know a couple of Forest fans who thought they'd walk it.
Oh and didn't Wayne Rooney come out and say before lockdown that he thought Derby should be in a better place with the squad they have.
But of course you know better than Rooney.

FFC1987

Having spoken to a good unit of Derby fans in my own football team, not one contested our squad is much better than theres.

Woolly Mammoth

This morning I saw an eagle carrying a serpent in its claws which is a sign from the sun god saying that the Miss Universe Competition is a fix as all previous winners have come from the Planet Earth 🌍. 

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 23, 2020, 11:32:18 AM

B Hamer
J Bogle
A Wisdom
M Clarke
C Forsyth
W Rooney
M Bird
D Holmes
L Sibley
T Lawrence
M Waghorn

Notice there not enough foreign players in there for you,as you are obsessed with them.
Didn't you say Seri would be one of our best when we signed him,in fact useless signing one of our worst.
Its all about opinions
So you know all Derby and Forest fans do you?
I know a couple of Forest fans who thought they'd walk it.
Oh and didn't Wayne Rooney come out and say before lockdown that he thought Derby should be in a better place with the squad they have.
But of course you know better than Rooney.

Rooney plays for the club and he said they should be in a better place with the squad they have yes - but he didn't say they have the best squad in the league and I don't think even the most diehard Derby fan would say that unless they are honestly deluded

Again Forest do not have the best team in the league either and I am surprised that some of their fans would suggest that - I just searched Forest best squad in the league (and other variations) on twitter and couldn't find one tweet that said anyone believes Forest have the best team in the league - did find a few that said Fulham did - and that was from searching 'Forest best squad in the league' without even mentioning Fulham

Your right it is a game of opinions, lots more people are of the opinion Messi is the best player in the world rather than say David Silva, but there are probably some people that think David Silva is the best player in the world - the majority however would say Messi is the best player in the world, and the majority would say we have the best team in the league.
STH H3