watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steven Sessegnon, let's see what he's made of

Started by Riversider, June 23, 2020, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Let me start by saying that the jury is well and truly out on whether or not Steven Sessegnon is good enough to play at right back for Fulham Football Club,  but let's face it, it's a position that we've struggled with since Ryan Fredericks packed his bags and left,
Dennis Odoi, has got the heart of a lion and will always give his all for the club, but there is always something lacking when he plays at right back, we are crying out for overlapping full backs to step in to the shoes of Targett and Fredericks,  and so far Bryan, Christie and Odoi have been found wanting,
Is now the time to give Sessegnon an 8 game trial , to see what he is made of ?, Billy Gilmour at Chelsea and Harvey Elliott at Liverpool are both getting game time at a much higher level and both players are younger than Sessegnon !
I wouldn't have fancied using Sessegnon up at Elland Road with 30,000 Leeds supporters in the ground, but surely these current circumstances are tailor made for a young lad just starting out,
He's the most natural right back that we have at the club and his credentials within the England set up have always been impeccable,
Let's throw him in to see what he can do, and whilst were at it take one of the defensive options off the bench and give Jay Stansfield an opportunity,
Same old same old under Parker isn't working and is distinctly underwhelming,  it's time to shake things up a little !!

COYSW

filham

Our big problem right now is scoring goals and we really have no penetration down the right flank.

I don't think Parker will risk Sess. The safest and best option is possibly Odoi for 60 minutes and then if we are not winning to bring on Christie who does seem to have the pace to get round a defender.

Southcoastffc

No chance of Sess or Stansfield starting. Sess on bench probably. Scott Parker says, quite reasonably, that games dont come bigger than this. 'Giving youngsters a go to see what they're made of' is not for this game (and IMO is a long-outdated approach, unless possibly our season were over and there's really nothing to play for.)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bobby01

I still maintain that the lack of penetration down the flanks comes from playing inverted wingers. Put them on the correct side and I swear they could whip a ball in from anywhere in the final 3rd and Mitro would get his head on it.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Sting of the North

I would love to see more of Steven as he mainly impressed me at the beginning of the season. I feel like Parker mismanaged his game time and possibly caused a slump in his confidence. This is all guess work from my side however.

With that said, I don't think now is the time, at least not the Leeds game. I also don't understand why we should compare him to other players that is seemingly cherry picked because they are younger. Not every player has to develop at the same rate (worth considering might for example be that Steven missed a full season because of injury already). However if you are going to compare him arbitrarily to players at other clubs that play other positions I am still curious why you picked 2 players that have gotten far less game time than Steven so far this season? Doesn't really seem to support your argument at all.

filham

Quote from: bobby01 on June 23, 2020, 03:45:18 PM
I still maintain that the lack of penetration down the flanks comes from playing inverted wingers. Put them on the correct side and I swear they could whip a ball in from anywhere in the final 3rd and Mitro would get his head on it.
Yes I do agree but wonder if they have the pace needed to go outside.
However all Championship defenders are now fully aware which side our wide men are going to attack them, it is embarrassing to watch, no need for the proverbial telegram, their managers have printed the message in their minds before the game.

Riversider

I think you're all either missing the point or failing to understand the position were in, were not going up automatically,  were just not, anybody that thinks otherwise is deluded, so that gives us 8 games to prepare for both the play offs and the future, so let's give Sessegnon these next 8 games, the pressure is off , the stadiums are empty, it's the perfect time to blood him,
We know what Christie and Odoi have got to offer and they can step back in for the play offs if necessary,  it's a win win situation for me with absolutely nothing to lose.

Woolly Mammoth

I would like to see Sess start a game, but not this next one against Leeds.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Winning the game against Leeds must be the only priority; so squad rotation, resting players, and developing players must be completely forgotten about. Let's get promoted first with fullbacks that can do the job against Leeds and try Steven Sessegnon against Liverpool/Man City instead.

Next Monday the Table could be:
1. Leeds 74, 2. WBA 71, 3. Brentford 66, 4. Forest 64, 5. Fulham 64, 6. Cardiff 60, 7. Blackburn 59, 8. Swansea 59 (4 points clear of sixth)
or 1. Leeds 71, 2. WBA 71, 3. Fulham 67, 4. Brentford 66, 5. Forest 61, 6. Cardiff 58, 7. Preston 58, 8. Blackburn 56 (9 point clear of sixth)

A hugely important weekly that could determine our future, especially as we need to finish in the top five to avoid a Brentford-Fulham semi-final.

colinwhite

We have 8 games to go and the stakes are high and the pressure is on,for making the play-offs. Thinking that its going to be  awalk in the park is what I called deluded.

filham

Quote from: Riversider on June 23, 2020, 09:49:27 PM
I think you're all either missing the point or failing to understand the position were in, were not going up automatically,  were just not, anybody that thinks otherwise is deluded, so that gives us 8 games to prepare for both the play offs and the future, so let's give Sessegnon these next 8 games, the pressure is off , the stadiums are empty, it's the perfect time to blood him,
We know what Christie and Odoi have got to offer and they can step back in for the play offs if necessary,  it's a win win situation for me with absolutely nothing to lose.
We are facing yet another defeat at Leeds on Saturday which, as mentioned above ,could leave us close to the rat race for sixth position. Not the time to take risks on blooding young players.

Beamer

Being brutally honest I thought he looked a bit out of his depth earlier in the season and I assume SP saw it too as he lost his place. What will have changed in 3 months of inactivity - he wasn't quite ready then and I doubt he would be now (not to say he won't be in the future). If he has been showing good progression in training I assume SP will use him otherwise his time may come next season.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Beamer on June 24, 2020, 03:05:11 PM
Being brutally honest I thought he looked a bit out of his depth earlier in the season and I assume SP saw it too as he lost his place. What will have changed in 3 months of inactivity - he wasn't quite ready then and I doubt he would be now (not to say he won't be in the future). If he has been showing good progression in training I assume SP will use him otherwise his time may come next season.

Steven Sessegnon's last seven starts in the Championship have been one win, four draws, and two losses; he needs to gain experience coming off the bench. He is probably the first name on the team sheet for pre-season, and if on deadline day we get an RB then he should probably be sent on loan somewhere.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: filham on June 23, 2020, 03:35:53 PM
Our big problem right now is scoring goals and we really have no penetration down the right flank.

I don't think Parker will risk Sess. The safest and best option is possibly Odoi for 60 minutes and then if we are not winning to bring on Christie who does seem to have the pace to get round a defender.
I don't believe Christie has more pace than Odoi. Size, yes. Pace...I'd say they are even at best.

Steven Sess should only get minutes if we have a two goal lead in the second half.

Imo

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 23, 2020, 03:48:47 PM
I would love to see more of Steven as he mainly impressed me at the beginning of the season. I feel like Parker mismanaged his game time and possibly caused a slump in his confidence. This is all guess work from my side however.

With that said, I don't think now is the time, at least not the Leeds game. I also don't understand why we should compare him to other players that is seemingly cherry picked because they are younger. Not every player has to develop at the same rate (worth considering might for example be that Steven missed a full season because of injury already). However if you are going to compare him arbitrarily to players at other clubs that play other positions I am still curious why you picked 2 players that have gotten far less game time than Steven so far this season? Doesn't really seem to support your argument at all.
Oh God. Scott Parker didn't hamper his development. He's just not a better FB than Odoi or Christie.   He got tired in the second half of games and we don't know if he ever improved his endurance.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Riversider on June 23, 2020, 09:49:27 PM
If we don't get promoted Sess will get plenty of minutes next season.

If we get promoted he's not good enough to be a starting FB in the premier league so finding out his future now isn't a rush.

What IS important is trying to make automatic regardless of how pointless some here think it is.  The time we'd spend planning playoff matches should be spent round tabling which players we can bring in that will play well in Scott's system and who would play well with Mitro as the #9 in the EPL.

You don't throw in the 3rd best RB because he might start in the championship next season.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 25, 2020, 06:40:17 AM

Oh God. Scott Parker didn't hamper his development. He's just not a better FB than Odoi or Christie.   He got tired in the second half of games and we don't know if he ever improved his endurance.

If Steven Sessegnon needed experience in the EFL, then I am sure they would have sent him on-loan as we have six right-backs (Christie, Odoi, S.Sess, Reed, Fossey and Dramah) each more than good enough to be have 3rd right spot in the squad, but instead, they decided to do what Liverpool would do "keep Steven and let him train with the first-team and play with PL2 team from time to time". I suggest Fulham might actually know what it is doing, especially as we have a five year contract on the kid and want to protect him from injury so that when he reaches his peak in a few years he is uninjuried.

To me, Steven Sessegnon looks like a smart player with a decent reading of the game (for a kid) that needs to work on his endurance, strength, and crossing skills, so staying at Motspur Park rather than Starting Games might be the best way for him to improve quickly. I remember Paul Parker spent a couple of years (81/82, 82/83 & 83/84) on the fringe of the team behind Jeff Hopkins as RB and he developed enormously during that time. Besides, I even think Steven Sessegnon's long-term position might be defensive midfield given his short passing in tight spaces, and reading of the game are his strengths. I'd like to see him go back to PL2 and play defensive midfield a little to see if that suits him better.

colinwhite

Its a difficult one isnt it. He had a decent run in the team and then something happened , mistake against forest besides. Part of me thinks that if his name wasnt sessignon we wouldnt be talking about him and part thinks like the previous poster ,he may devlop into a really decent player . Time will ultimately tell.

Statto

Agree with the OP that low pressure games with no crowd represent a perfect opportunity to give Sessegnon a run at displacing Odoi, but I wouldn't change anything until after the Leeds game, at least.

No, we're not likely to make the automatics but it's far from impossible. We also need to cement our place in the play-offs, which isn't guaranteed either. So we should continue picking the best, safest option for the time being, which is Odoi IMO.

If/when Sessegnon does come in I'd also consider playing Odoi and LB and Bryan LW. I'd eventually like to see the following in the play-offs:

Rodak

Sessegnon - Hector - Ream - Odoi

Reed - Cairney
Reid

Cavaliero/AK47 - Mitrovic - Bryan

Sting of the North

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 25, 2020, 06:40:17 AM

What with the dramatic "Oh god"-comment to a simple subjective (and in my mind not very controversial) observation that you can neither prove nor disprove? And why do you equal my "possibly caused a slump in his confidence" to me accusing Parker of hampering his development. Seem like quite the exagarration on your part.

Your opinion that you then present is equally subjective. Add to that that me simply suggesting that perhaps Parker did not manage Sessegnon's game time optimally also seems to be supported by your own argument that he tired in the second half of games.

Whether he is better than Odoi and/or Christie is another topic that has little to do with my comment.