more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is there a reason McDonald isn't starting

Started by H4usuallysitting, June 27, 2020, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Statto

Don't think he has as much mobility or stamina as Reed (or Onomah or even Arter IMO)

ByTheRiver

Probably the only thing we have had since we've returned is a general in midfield, Reed. He has been by far and away our best player in the two games.

To drop him would be insane. I'm sure Kev will get game as the squad will need to rotate now that we move into the Tues/Sat/Tues/Sat end to the season but I feel Reed and K-Mac in the same midfield would be overkill. So one or the other and, Reed has more than made that spot his own.

In fact, only him and Rodak are deserving of a spot at the moment! 

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2020, 05:53:28 PM
Don't think he has as much mobility or stamina as Reed (or Onomah or even Arter IMO)

I remember people used to say that about Sherringham....he was clever.... McDonald is clever, he's always an outlet & guides the defence

filham

I like McDonald and think we could benefit from his leadership and strength in midfield.
However seeing how we were opened up down our left flank today I think McDonalds lack of pace is something we just can't risk.

Statto

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 27, 2020, 05:59:17 PM
Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2020, 05:53:28 PM

I remember people used to say that about Sherringham....he was clever.... McDonald is clever, he's always an outlet & guides the defence

True, would perhaps prefer him to Onomah and Arter for that reason, but IMO Reed has just been a class above any of the others (including McDonald) in that position

H4usuallysitting

Reed with McDonald is what I'm saying...... McDonald knows when to stay & go.... McDonald also manages the game, and breaks up the opposition play

Whitestone

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 27, 2020, 06:48:04 PM
Reed with McDonald is what I'm saying...... McDonald knows when to stay & go.... McDonald also manages the game, and breaks up the opposition play

That's a good call. Or even Reed and Onamah who teamed up together in the defeat of Leeds back in December. It can't be easy managing a close family member and I do think Arter is getting the nod when there are better options on occasions.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Whitestone on June 27, 2020, 07:00:58 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on June 27, 2020, 06:48:04 PM

That's a good call. Or even Reed and Onamah who teamed up together in the defeat of Leeds back in December. It can't be easy managing a close family member and I do think Arter is getting the nod when there are better options on occasions.

You very rarely see McDonald give the ball away, very clever player

Finnans Right Peg

Play both reed and kev mac we are letting too many at the moment and give tom a free role

grandad

We are slow enough allover the pitch. McD would make it worse.
Where there's a will there's a wife

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: grandad on June 27, 2020, 07:18:40 PM
We are slow enough allover the pitch. McD would make it worse.

I disagree....we need somebody to take responsibility at the back.... Bryan keeps getting caught without cover - ultimately it's parker that should recognise this, but it keeps happening

Milo

Thought Reed looked the part V Brentford but still has to be more consistent

MikeTheCubed

His return to the starting eleven in January coincided with an upturn in form where the team managed to grind out several one-goal wins. Since he's come out of the starting eleven our form has stuttered, albeit against tougher opposition position-wise.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on June 27, 2020, 07:41:55 PM
His return to the starting eleven in January coincided with an upturn in form where the team managed to grind out several one-goal wins. Since he's come out of the starting eleven our form has stuttered, albeit against tougher opposition position-wise.

He takes responsibility along the back line.... he's always available as an outlet....and he seems to calm those around him

Twig

Frankly we have to try something. We score so few goals that can not afford a leaky defence. Reed is clearly nailed on. It might be worth trying him alongside K Mac.

For me the bigger question is how we get things firing up front. That might need some significant changes. Start by scrapping inverted wingers?

Carborundum

Play him as the centre back that distributes.  His passing is better than any other candidate,  he's tougher than the current incumbent and no more error prone.  A leader too.  He'd love it.

HV71

Quote from: Carborundum on June 28, 2020, 07:07:58 AM
Play him as the centre back that distributes.  His passing is better than any other candidate,  he's tougher than the current incumbent and no more error prone.  A leader too.  He'd love it.

Spot on - so worth a try . We need his leadership on the pitch

joshfulham

Astonished by the amount of people responding to this saying McDonald is too slow and lacks mobility. Did you watch the game yesterday? Arter gives the ball away with every other touch and my 90 year old Grandad is faster than him. McDonald plays the same role as Arter but far far better. When KMac came in earlier in the season, he made a huge difference. Arter is pony.

alfie

Quote from: joshfulham on June 28, 2020, 10:53:54 AM
Astonished by the amount of people responding to this saying McDonald is too slow and lacks mobility. Did you watch the game yesterday? Arter gives the ball away with every other touch and my 90 year old Grandad is faster than him. McDonald plays the same role as Arter but far far better. When KMac came in earlier in the season, he made a huge difference. Arter is pony.
Personally apart from that pass, I thought Arter had a good first half, I didn't see him give the ball away every other touch, seems he is the current scapegoat, although vying for that honour with Bryant
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't