watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Inverted Wingers

Started by Jims Dentist, June 29, 2020, 02:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

Despite how I might appear on here, am quite a humble guy.

However, along with a few others have highlighted how very ineffective out inverted winger are.
I started posting this in early November.
We, before lockdown had found more defensive durability, but going forward we still suffered from this way of playing, and the lack of goals it has produced.
Although we have won games the wins  have not been that convincing.
Why have we continued with this set up that is so clearly not working.

The Rational Fan

The point of inverted wingers is so they score more goals with their natural foot, we need to work out why our wingers aren't scoring with their natural foot (and aren't scoring with anything else either).

Jims Dentist

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 02:44:03 AM
The point of inverted wingers is so they score more goals with their natural foot, we need to work out why our wingers aren't scoring with their natural foot (and aren't scoring with anything else either).
Well yes,
But if we haven't worked it out yet we are unlikely to do so in the next month.
So why continue to persevere with something that has barely worked all season..

Jims Dentist

I am not against inverted wingers in general.
Aluko  was great in the role, but it is just not working with those involved this season.

colinwhite

Aluko got slagged off all the time and suddenly hes the man to compare with by many.Actually jim against leeds the ineverted winger ploy was very successful.If knockhart had scored from the many situations where he cut in from the right we could have won the game,not to mention BDR s chances ! Kebano served up Mitro with 4 headers on target against Brentford. He didnt take any of them either . an unsuccessful tactic? Dont think so. Is Mitro a poor player? No but he like other players in the team needs to look in the mirror.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jims Dentist on June 29, 2020, 02:53:03 AM
Well yes, But if we haven't worked it out yet we are unlikely to do so in the next month.

If we put Cavelrio and Knockaert on their natural sides, they would score even fewer goals and then who is going to score apart from Mitrovic, and with one way for a team to score that player will be triple marked.

If we keep inverter winger plus Reid and Knockaert start hitting the target, then we will win the playoffs this season by some margin. The creativity, agility, and power of our inverted wingers shotting has improved enormously, they just aren't hitting the target like they did in previous seasons.

Asotosyios

Inverted wingers or not, I think the problem is that we don't create enough and don't get people in the box.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

bigalffc

With Mitro up front i would use wingers on their natural side in order to get crosses into him.
Now with Mitro likely to be out and hopefully Kamara leading the line then inverted winger using his pace to breakthrough will make sense. Pity we have wasted so much time not using wingers to their best advantage given we don't have the wing backs that fed a Mitro with crosses the season we went up.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 08:03:00 AM
Quote from: Jims Dentist on June 29, 2020, 02:53:03 AM
Well yes, But if we haven't worked it out yet we are unlikely to do so in the next month.

If we put Cavelrio and Knockaert on their natural sides, they would score even fewer goals and then who is going to score apart from Mitrovic, and with one way for a team to score that player will be triple marked.

If we keep inverter winger plus Reid and Knockaert start hitting the target, then we will win the playoffs this season by some margin. The creativity, agility, and power of our inverted wingers shotting has improved enormously, they just aren't hitting the target like they did in previous seasons.

I disagree that if you play on your natural side you will score less goals, just look as Sessegnon a couple of years ago.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

SuffolkWhite

We are going to have to find a different way of playing with no Mitro, wingers or not.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Whitestone

Unfortunately for us the goals from our system are few and far between so understandably people are questioning the use of inverted wingers, me included. It's a great option but we aren't getting much success from it. We need to mix and match our attacking options.  Aluko has been mentioned earlier in the post. What I like about him and Ayite for that matter  was their ability to cut the ball back to for runners or a simple tap in. I can't recall the last time we scored a goal from a cut back.

bahay18

Depends on your set up . 3 mobile strikers who aren't reliant on crosses to score goals its fine . if you are playing with a number 9 you need the crosses cut back from the goal line . defenders are then having to defend facing their own goal. our crosses are so slow the defenders are in place and can just block them .i think we need players going down the outside , maybe why Bryan has so many assists .

Finnans Right Peg

The thing that gets to me is that parker just sticks with it if its not working in a game he won't  change the wingers to there correct sides or he will make a sub like a winger for a winger and still not have them on the correct side .

Some games it will work better than other games but when its not working we need to change it up

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on June 29, 2020, 10:10:51 AM
I disagree that if you play on your natural side you will score less goals, just look as Sessegnon a couple of years ago.

Knockaert has scored nearly all of his goals from the right-hand side of the field. He doesn't need to change his game, he needs to do what he has done in the past for the next 10 games. Alternatively, he just needs to do what he did in the last game but hit the target rather than the terraces.

Matt10

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on June 29, 2020, 09:33:52 PM
The thing that gets to me is that parker just sticks with it if its not working in a game he won't  change the wingers to there correct sides or he will make a sub like a winger for a winger and still not have them on the correct side .

Some games it will work better than other games but when its not working we need to change it up

We've done this countless of times under Parker. It's a very common strategy. Watch the last two matches before the break for example. Reid and Knockaert, Cav and Knockaert, each switching sides at times. The goal we scored in the final minutes against Bristol City away, Knockaert was on the left hand side, subbed in for Tim Ream, as we were desperate to get an equalizer.

clarkey

The wingers are a major problem and the fact they are inverted leads directly to a reduction in Fulham chances.

We have the best converter of chances from crosses in the League. What do we do therefore-stop putting in crosses, cut inside and shoot into the stands. Obvs.

Parker's muddled thinking again. Inexperience and basic stupidity I am afraid.

alfie

Quote from: clarkey on June 30, 2020, 08:34:40 AM
The wingers are a major problem and the fact they are inverted leads directly to a reduction in Fulham chances.

We have the best converter of chances from crosses in the League. What do we do therefore-stop putting in crosses, cut inside and shoot into the stands. Obvs.

Parker's muddled thinking again. Inexperience and basic stupidity I am afraid.
To be honest at least Knock is having a shot no one else is.
I remember Malcom Macdonald saying that he would rather have 10 shots and miss than no shots, because occasionally 1 of those shots will go in, you won't get any going in if you have no shots.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Carborundum

If a winger plays in harmony with his full back, keeps his opponent guessing, tries to win his personal battle and brings a sense of devilment by trying stuff that might not come off, I'm not sure it matters which foot is the stronger.  Our problem is that apart from AK47 and Kebano in patches we don't have wingers who do this.  Can't recall Knockeart winning a personal battle all season. He knows it and hence all the huff and puff smokescreen.

Ronnief

Watched the Exeter v Northampton match last night and although they lost I thought Randell Williams on the right wing for Exeter was an exciting player to watch.  I see he is out of contract after today so could he be a replacement for Knockheart. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things and seems to be able to cross a ball well.