watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Parker and why Cairney

Started by Keefy, June 29, 2020, 09:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keefy

I am interested to hear from anyone that considers Scott Parker to be qualified  as a manager and Tom Cairney as a captain and their reasons why.

Facts Not Fiction

Parker, nothing. Cairney, has shown great loyalty to the club.

The Rational Fan

Before Parker became Manager, their claim to the roles can be summarised as:
  • Cairney, as captain of the Fulham team, achieved a 23 unbeaten game run and playoffs victory.
  • Parker, as assistant manager of the Fulham team, achieved 17 points in his 28 EPL games. 
Obviously, both are decent achievements. The question is "Are there better options available?". At this stage of the season, I would say "absolutely not", we can re-ask the question in the summer.

Statto

Cairney is clearly a popular, balanced and well-rounded individual.

Strikes me as a bit of a Bobby Moore type off the pitch. Doesn't seem to go out drinking, brassing and crashing his Land Rover. Doesn't think being a footballer qualifies him to lead some sort of social change on Twitter. Doesn't moan about anything, ever. Just keeps his head down and focuses on football and his family.

On the pitch, no he's not a blood-and-guts Roy Keane type, but again, he keeps his head and is reliable. He's not the best tackler naturally but these days he generally puts a shift in doesn't shirk a challenge, either.

I don't think he's our best captain of all time by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a very good captain nonetheless, IMO.

MaidenheadMick

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
  • Cairney, as captain of the Fulham team, achieved a 23 unbeaten game run and playoffs victory.
  • Parker, as assistant manager of the Fulham team, achieved 17 points in his 28 EPL games. 
Obviously, both are decent achievements. The question is "Are there better options available?". At this stage of the season, I would say "absolutely not", we can re-ask the question in the summer.
17pts in 28PL games is a decent achievement?

FulhamStu

Cairney is a terrible Captain, head down, sulks, does not put in enough effort.  Cairney did well with KMac playing the leadership role, this worked well although I am not sure why KMac was not just given the armband.

Parker May become a half decent manager but right now he is being out coached too often, one dimensional and dull.  He seems to lack inspiration but is I am sure, hardworking, reliable and a nice guy.  Should be learning his trade at a less ambitious club than Fulham.

Statto

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 29, 2020, 10:36:57 AM
Cairney is a terrible Captain, head down, sulks, does not put in enough effort.  Cairney did well with KMac playing the leadership role, this worked well although I am not sure why KMac was not just given the armband.

KMac isn't playing now (also, off the pitch he's a clown) so who would you have as captain besides him, if not Cairney?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on June 29, 2020, 10:32:55 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
17pts in 28PL games is a decent achievement?
Yes, it's a decent achievement as its much better than me, the team I coached came second last once but we couldn't get relegated as there was no lower league to go to.

Fulham doesn't have anyone at the club who has done better than Parker, and now is not the time to look for someone outside the club that has achieved more.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on June 29, 2020, 10:48:50 AM

KMac isn't playing now (also, off the pitch he's a clown) so who would you have as captain besides him, if not Cairney?

KMac barely played in the Premier League so should be fresh for this season, he should have been preparing for the Championship from the 3rd April 2019 and yet by the 3 August 2019 looked a shadow of his former fitness levels in early 2018. Cairney body language is often poor, but he thinks about the three FFFs (football, family and fitness), which is a good example to other players.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on June 29, 2020, 10:24:56 AM

Strikes me as a bit of a Bobby Moore type off the pitch. Doesn't seem to go out drinking, brassing and crashing his Land Rover. Doesn't think being a footballer qualifies him to lead some sort of social change on Twitter. Doesn't moan about anything, ever. Just keeps his head down and focuses on football and his family.

On the pitch, no he's not a blood-and-guts Roy Keane type, but again, he keeps his head and is reliable. He's not the best tackler naturally but these days he generally puts a shift in doesn't shirk a challenge, either.

I don't think he's our best captain of all time by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a very good captain nonetheless, IMO.

I think we need a captain that played in the promotion season and makes the team most games, that really only leaves Cairney, Mitro, Ream and Odoi. The squad centre backs (MLM and Mawson) are training hard to take Ream's place, plus some of out best youth players (Sess, Fossey and Dramah) plus Christie are training to take Odoi's place. Leaving only Cairney and Mitrovic, so Cairney it is.

Mince n Tatties

I've always thought Tom would be an even better player without the captaincy...I'd give that to Hector let Tom get on with what he does best.

Ordar

Quote from: Statto on June 29, 2020, 10:48:50 AM

I mean the obvious answer is Hector

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 29, 2020, 12:33:51 PM
I've always thought Tom would be an even better player without the captaincy...I'd give that to Hector let Tom get on with what he does best.

I think its wrong to sack the captain mid-season and give it to a player that started mid-season. Cairney would be pissed and so would his friends in the team. Great way to lose the dressing room, and if we did that i'm sure Cairney would be not here next season.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 02:23:21 PM

I think its wrong to sack the captain mid-season and give it to a player that started mid-season. Cairney would be pissed and so would his friends in the team. Great way to lose the dressing room, and if we did that i'm sure Cairney would be not here next season.

Nonsense, there not children.
If wouldn't bother Tom one bit I should think.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 29, 2020, 02:32:30 PM

Nonsense, there not children. If wouldn't bother Tom one bit I should think.

If they aren't children, then they should be self-lead and be able to perform under any captain.

Statto

Hector has played 13 games FFS

And he's already started to look poor the last game or two

If he plays crap for the next few games will we then take the captaincy off him and give to the next newest signing? Whoever hasn't pi$$ed us off yet - Syl Jasper?

Matt10

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 11:28:41 AM
Quote from: Statto on June 29, 2020, 10:24:56 AM

I think we need a captain that played in the promotion season and makes the team most games, that really only leaves Cairney, Mitro, Ream and Odoi. The squad centre backs (MLM and Mawson) are training hard to take Ream's place, plus some of out best youth players (Sess, Fossey and Dramah) plus Christie are training to take Odoi's place. Leaving only Cairney and Mitrovic, so Cairney it is.

This is my mindset as well. Mitro is a good second captain, but he's also one of the youngest players on the team. Cairney is right in the median age of the starters and has the most experience in the championship with the club. He's also very reliable with the ball at his feet, and everyone on the team knows it.

alfie

This is a difficult one, with KMac hardly getting game time, I cannot see any other leaders on the pitch,
If Ream was still playing at an acceptable level then maybe him, but unfortunately his not.
Possibly Odie, he certainly has the enthusiasm, maybe but to erratic
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on June 29, 2020, 04:35:37 PM
Hector has played 13 games FFS

And he's already started to look poor the last game or two

If he plays crap for the next few games will we then take the captaincy off him and give to the next newest signing? Whoever hasn't pi$$ed us off yet - Syl Jasper?

Why are you so aggressive all the time,we're you bullied as a Child?😁
Hector was an example, not necessary first choice.
Just think Tom would play better without the band.
Only my opinion don't shout.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 29, 2020, 02:34:36 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 29, 2020, 02:32:30 PM

Nonsense, there not children. If wouldn't bother Tom one bit I should think.

If they aren't children, then they should be self-lead and be able to perform under any captain.

:plus one: