watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A word in defence

Started by 70sPimlico, July 15, 2020, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

On here before lockdown there was a lot of criticism about our defence. Even after the Brentford & Leeds game many comments were about how are defence was a shambles and Bryan, Ream, Odoi, Christie and Hector were not up to standard.

I have often thought this season (and under Slavisa actually) that our full backs were on a hiding to nothing because of the lack of cover provided by the players in front.

These last few games have shown me that our midfielders are really putting their bodies on the line to protect that back four. Obviously Reed but I have also been impressed with Knockhart and Cav's defensive work.

Now, I do happen to think that our tactics rely way too much on Mitro and this can make us look pedestrian and so inflexible in our approach but credit where its due, we certainly look harder to score against. Got to be a good thing, right?

I know we had a lack of options on the bench but I really think that in a game like yesterdays, when Mitro is having zero joy, the change on 70 mins is take him off and give the tiring legs and minds opposition a completely different dynamic to think about.

Denver Fulham

Given QPR's really early goal, we've effectively had five straight clean sheets.

When's the last time we've done that in any division?

rebel

I've always said that the defence was a decent defence. It's all about defending from the front and coaching them to make the right decisions. But we also need to be ruthless going forward, we have some of the best attacking players in the Championship, who aren't being used to their full potential. 

fulhamben

Quote from: rebel on July 15, 2020, 08:30:58 AM
I've always said that the defence was a decent defence. It's all about defending from the front and coaching them to make the right decisions. But we also need to be ruthless going forward, we have some of the best attacking players in the Championship, who aren't being used to their full potential. 
no we don't, other than mitro,our attacking players are absolutely crap. Not one of Reid, cav and knockaert is an upgrade on Cairney, kebano or kamara.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

colinwhite

Quote from: fulhamben on July 15, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
no we don't, other than mitro,our attacking players are absolutely crap. Not one of Reid, cav and knockaert is an upgrade on Cairney, kebano or kamara.

agree with that Ben

rebel

Read the whole post again, not just one line from my post. The reason why Reid, Cab and Knock are ineffective is because they aren't being played to their strengths. It is not about 'upgrading', it's getting a balanced formula to work, between defence and attack.     

fulhamben

Quote from: rebel on July 15, 2020, 08:49:10 AM

Read the whole post again, not just one line from my post. The reason why Reid, Cab and Knock are ineffective is because they aren't being played to their strengths. It is not about 'upgrading', it's getting a balanced formula to work, between defence and attack.     
which one of them isn't playing in their natural position? Which one of them hasn't been given a chance In a different position? They've been crap wherever and however we played. They are poor attackers no matter how you spin it. Bobby couldn't finish his dinner, if knockaert couldn't defend, he probably wouldn't even make the bench and I don't even know what cav is, but I doubt anyone will miss him if his injury keeps him out for a few games.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: colinwhite on July 15, 2020, 08:45:48 AM

agree with that Ben

To be fair Cava was having a good game last night till he got injured,might have won it for us if he stayed on.
But its all ifs and buts isn't it.

rebel

agree with that Ben

Agree with a post that doesn't make sense, that's about right. lol.

fulhamben

Quote from: rebel on July 15, 2020, 09:00:55 AM

agree with that Ben

it only doesn't make sense if you think that cav Reid and knockaert are good attacking options, but no one could seriously think that, could they 😂

rebel

Quote from: fulhamben on July 15, 2020, 09:03:24 AM

agree with that Ben

it only doesn't make sense if you think that cav Reid and knockaert are good attacking options, but no one could seriously think that, could they 😂

I'm happy to start a thread about your post, but I don't want you to get 'cult' status and gain a 'huge' following, I'm not sure which would disturb me more. Your post makes no sense. lol

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on July 15, 2020, 09:03:24 AM

agree with that Ben

The thing about these sorts of statements is they make coaching and management totally insignificant.

"A player is only as good as his last match..." therefore if he was poor in his last match, it must be because he's a poor player, and nothing to do with the manager, tactics etc.

Whereas surely we all know that's not how it works.

By any reasonable metric you could point to, Cavaleiro, Reid and Knockaert are top players at this level, and much better than Kebano. And they're not 35, they haven't been struck by lightning, and there's no other reason that they'd suddenly have become inherently crap players.

They're just not being utilised, coached and/or motivated correctly.

ByTheRiver

agree with that Ben

Chaps, I understand the frustration (god knows I nearly booted the telly out the window last night!) but this is obviously nonsense. Crap for us, yes. So you have to think why. These have, to a man, been either the best player in the league in recent seasons, or top 5 as minimum. They are all still young and in their prime (so not a Jari Litmanen situation). Its form rather than ability. I don't think you could get a better player to come and play in the championship and, even if you could, you couldn't afford a better player in the championship.

Or are we really saying that three players who have all lit up the league (and/or done a solid job in the Prem) have all turned pants at exactly the same time? Does that sound plausible?

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 15, 2020, 09:12:28 AM
are we really saying that three players who have all lit up the league (and/or done a solid job in the Prem) have all turned pants at exactly the same time? Does that sound plausible?

Exactly

filham

Our defence was bad but as the season has progressed it has got better and is now turning in frequent clean sheets and making us a hard team to win against. We have to credit Parker for this turn around, remember we were blaming him for the poor defending.

However our attack is now looking very weak, only six goals in the seven games since Lockdown and hardly a hint of a goal in last night's critical game. No doubt Cav.and Knock. are not getting into scoring positions while Reid continues to miss any half chance presented to him.

Tactics may be partly to blame and the individuals must also take responsibility.

We now have two games, which are almost friendlies , before the play offs start, and Parker should use these games to develop our attack to be a threat and to limit game time to ensure that key players are fully fit for the first play off match. This of course includes deciding on our best midfield set up.
We are almost certain to be up against Forrest and Brentford, both of whom we have played since Lockdown, so Parker can start his planning and preparation right away.

Kamara has not even been on the bench so it is difficult to see how he can now be match fit for the play offs and therefore should be excluded from the preparations.

Care needs to be taken with Cairney and Mitro , we are not going to score many goals without them.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 15, 2020, 08:20:18 AM
On here before lockdown there was a lot of criticism about our defence. Even after the Brentford & Leeds game many comments were about how are defence was a shambles and Bryan, Ream, Odoi, Christie and Hector were not up to standard.

I have often thought this season (and under Slavisa actually) that our full backs were on a hiding to nothing because of the lack of cover provided by the players in front.

These last few games have shown me that our midfielders are really putting their bodies on the line to protect that back four. Obviously Reed but I have also been impressed with Knockhart and Cav's defensive work.

Now, I do happen to think that our tactics rely way too much on Mitro and this can make us look pedestrian and so inflexible in our approach but credit where its due, we certainly look harder to score against. Got to be a good thing, right?

I know we had a lack of options on the bench but I really think that in a game like yesterdays, when Mitro is having zero joy, the change on 70 mins is take him off and give the tiring legs and minds opposition a completely different dynamic to think about.

I agree and I do think Parker deserves a lot of credit for that. We are really tight at the back and as someone alluded to it could help us in the Play Offs which are always very tight. However, at the end of the day we need to score goals and we just don't score enough, can't rely on always winning 1-0.

Asotosyios

Quote from: filham on July 15, 2020, 09:59:29 AM
We now have two games, which are almost friendlies , before the play offs start, and Parker should use these games to develop our attack to be a threat and to limit game time to ensure that key players are fully fit for the first play off match. This of course includes deciding on our best midfield set up.

A bit out of topic and I am not really having a go at you, but why do you think that Parker can do in seven days what he hasn't managed to do for the last year?

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on July 15, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 15, 2020, 09:12:28 AM
are we really saying that three players who have all lit up the league (and/or done a solid job in the Prem) have all turned pants at exactly the same time? Does that sound plausible?

Exactly

I don't think this is the case BUT it is plausible we bought players who had a few great seasons and peaked and we're overpaying for the depreciated stock.

I actually think Reid is a case of this but I think we'll see much more from Knock and Cav. Be it with Parker, or not. Something has to change to get teh most out of our attacking stock and its either the tactics or the manager.

I appreciate people might think i'm picking on Reid but the guy has a history of having so much talent but end product. When he used to play against us we always used to say 'he's due a goal' and I remember when he scored against us against Cardiff we all called ourselves charity cases etc. I really like the guy but last game, I was particularly disappointed with his total lack of end product. Just looked clueless.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

An interesting point which came out of the Sky statistics Last night was our ability to defend corners. It was not that long ago that our defence was a pushover for conceding goals from corners but this season we have one of the best records in the league. It can be put down to Rodak rather than Hector for half a season plus better organisation but whatever the reason I no longer shudder when we line up to defend .