watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Entitlement

Started by colinwhite, July 15, 2020, 08:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

We have improved from earlier in the season when we had some appalling results against some of the worst teams in the division, change a few of those results and we would be sitting at the top. I do have a problem with some of the slow boring football and I do think we could have given it a go at West Brom the other night. We do seem to have a discourse between some of the players we have and the style of football we are trying to play, I would suggest we try and get the right players to suit our system or change the system to suit our players. One thing our football can be defined as, is non entertaining, rarely have I been so bored and frustrated, watching football that could put anaesthetists out of work, I think this is where so many of our faithful supporters have their problem with Parker. Hopefully it will change as he learns and our football will once again entertain us.   

Penfold

Quote from: Jim© on July 16, 2020, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: Penfold on July 15, 2020, 09:12:06 AM
The last time I checked, we still lived in a democracy and people are entitled to different opinions. If you don't like the fact that people may have different opinions to yourself, an internet forum is probably not the best place for you.

Isn't that a bit like saying "If you don't like it then **** off"?
I don't think it's just the opinions it's the overwhelming negativity. The title of the OP was "Entitlement" and i'm starting to think that we, as Fulham fans, are coming across as an entitled bunch.
There were many people moaning about our defence when Luton & Barnsley put 3 past us. We looked open at the back and likely to concede on the few chances (and they were few, we've conceded one of the least amount of shots on target in the division) that the opposition had. So, Parker and team fix that and now we're moaning about something else.
I guesstimated we'd finish in the playoffs. There's been many, many teams that have come down with stronger squads than us and not gone back up. Stoke's team was not far removed from the one they had in the Prem and look at them.
I think Parker's done a pretty good job thus far, and we've not finished the season yet. I'd be worried if we hadn't easily bettered two teams we'll come up against in recent games (Forest & Cardiff) and we lived with Brentford for 85 mins (we had the chances, not them) and had Leeds (even according to their manager) up against it for 45 mins.
I'm hopeful and if we do happen to go up, those that are more negative than myself will I'm sure find something to moan about (parker being kept on, recruitment etc etc etc).

It wasn't meant to sound like go forth and multiply. If it did i can only apologise. I think what I was trying to say is that a forum with discussion isn't really a good place if you are deeply entrenched in a view and are angered/upset by opinions that are the opposite of that.

Turning to entitlement, I think there are a number of people who do simply think we should walk the second tier on the basis that we have the most expensively assembled squad and I think we should all be aware that it doesn't necessarily work that way. I can recall Wolves being the big spenders in the second tier from the mid 1990s but not getting promoted until 2004.

The main gripe people seem to have is the less than exciting brand of football, especially with the players at our disposal. I think that is a fair complaint. However, I would accept that some people couldn't care less about the style of football as long as we get the results required - as The Rational Fan points out, if FFC are not promoted by 2021, with the current FFP rules the club will have to massively cut it's expenditure.

Flying off on a different tangent, I never get the 'we are Fulham, this is good for us' comments. I can remember the late 1980s and most the 1990s until 1996/97 which were painful. However, the whole dynamic of the club changed in 1997 when MAF purchased the it. We shouldn't forget where we were but in the recent past, we have been top half in the Premier League and played in Europe. That is what we should be marking our achievement levels on and where we should be aspiring to be (well I admit Europe is a long, long shot).

General

Quote from: Penfold on July 15, 2020, 09:25:43 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 15, 2020, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Penfold on July 15, 2020, 09:12:06 AM
The last time I checked, we still lived in a democracy and people are entitled to different opinions. If you don't like the fact that people may have different opinions to yourself, an internet forum is probably not the best place for you.

Broadly what I was thinking. Shame because Colin was one of my favourite posters but just seems to have become deeply entrenched in a particular viewpoint lately.

Agreed. I think that at the start of the season, a large number of people would have been satisfied to be told that we'd be 4th at this stage. To me, it is the style of football that is the biggest gripe people have. That's certainly my main complaint.

Agreed with all above. Standards are a defining value we keep that determine what we do. At the moment our standards are ok/good, but we're also in the second league in England and Wales in the championship. For many that may be fine, but we have the intelligence and resources to be performing in the premier league and competing at that level and subsequently seeing the best players/entertainment in the world. Why, when you have the potential to be in a better position, are you sitting back.

Jim©

Penfold, sorry, I didn't mean to sound overly aggressive. I think this forum has been a breath of fresh air in the way that 99% of the time things are debated. (esp in comparison to "other" forums).
It's the negativity that gets me. When we were playing pretty expansive football but getting turned over, many just wanted points. The Forest game at home was a good example. We utterly dominated, played some excellent stuff and got hit by two sucker punches. That happened frequently, so Parker took it on himself to change things around. Admittedly we don't play the most fluent football now, but we get results. 2nd most points since turn of the year is impressive. I too see the FFP thing (i admit to not understanding all of it's peculiarities) as a ticking time-bomb. However, we're still in the mix for promotion and should be challenging.

Re the point above from the General- there's a whole load of clubs that could say they have the potential to be in a better position, that is a bit like the entitlement argument in my view.

Friendsoffulham

We understand that certain things said on this forum will upset, irritate, or annoy others, but, it's a forum, and we can't stop others giving their opinion(s), as long as they keep within the guidelines.

Being negative, or, not siding with a coach isn't against the rules, the same as being positive etc, etc, etc.

As a forum, we do our best to stop and moderate individuals who want to be nasty, disruptive, and spoil it for the rest, but, there are limitations.

We'd like to think we do a good job, or, as best as we can do, with the resources that are available.

Like above, the negativity, or, divided opinions, are not just here on FOF, it's the same over at TFI, Twitter, Facebook, and in some cases, even more hostile.

In hindsight, FOF is probably one of the most safe, balanced platforms to reside, so we don't understand when members start saying 'This forum' or 'those on here'?  1500.gif

Anyway, the advice we give in situations like this, is to take a break, or, hit the ignore button if you don't like a certain individual, or they are getting to you.

In the most extreme cases, report it to a moderator, and we'll see what we can do.

Now, continue to enjoy FOF - that's an order  049:gif

SuffolkWhite

Oh we have to take orders now do we, whatever next!?  :005:
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

ALG01

I think, that the purpose of forums is to encourage debate evn if it gets a bit out of hand occasionally

I have never been a person that thinks we should get behind the lads and not be critical. I think we should get behind the lads and vent our spleen when things could be better or somebody is not trying. I d not vent my spleen at the game, I groan and suigh with despair but do not slag off the players,, that does not help. but here I think is the place to say what we think.

I always think things could be better. Even if I supported Barcelona I would say we could improve, that is the nature of my outlook.

I want it it to better than it is and it can be.

I do not like criticism for its own sake and sometimes when we have had a lucky away win it is churlish to complain, but nonetheless I would always rather people say what they think rather than hold their tongue, even when I absolutely disagree.

rebel

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on July 16, 2020, 01:23:47 PM

That's got to be worth a two week automatic ban, talking back.

Logicalman

The beatings will continue until you start enjoying yourself!  :012:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Logicalman on July 16, 2020, 06:09:34 PM

The beatings will continue until you start enjoying yourself!  :012:

A bit like the last time we were in the Prem then  :022:
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

blingo

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 15, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
The bottom line in all of this is simply that we are not that great to watch under Parker. We were overrated to begin with in my opinion and had too many, what I would call luxury players. If they don't perform consistently, we were always going to do struggle to make the top two. But fans would be far happier with our present position if we were a little more enjoyable to watch.

There are large portions of the game when we have the ball and the word 'Interlude' should pop up. This way we would know we could all read a book or put on the kettle.  Personally I am pleased with the play off as I didn't have any other expectations. We haven't a good enough squad or a good enough coach to make it much further. 

The squad is good enough, the trainee manager isnt.

rebel

Quote from: blingo on July 17, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on July 15, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
The bottom line in all of this is simply that we are not that great to watch under Parker. We were overrated to begin with in my opinion and had too many, what I would call luxury players. If they don't perform consistently, we were always going to do struggle to make the top two. But fans would be far happier with our present position if we were a little more enjoyable to watch.

There are large portions of the game when we have the ball and the word 'Interlude' should pop up. This way we would know we could all read a book or put on the kettle.  Personally I am pleased with the play off as I didn't have any other expectations. We haven't a good enough squad or a good enough coach to make it much further. 

The squad is good enough, the trainee manager isnt.

Agree 100%. We have a lot of creativity and flair in the squad, we've seen it in patches this season. We're not doing enough with it.

Baszab

Don't worry, SP won't be around next season if we fail to get promotion

ALG01

Quote from: Baszab on July 17, 2020, 12:48:21 PM
Don't worry, SP won't be around next season if we fail to get promotion

I think he will be our manager whatever happens next season.
I am not saying that is my choice but what I believe will happen
UNLESS
Chris Houghton remains available because he is the obvious choice to get us promoted.

WindyCity

Surely, everyone here is entitled to their own opinion.  Basic stuff.

I have noted this year and over the past couple this notion of "beautiful football".  Sorry, but I just can't jump on board that train.  Pro sport is all about winning.  No matter how that result is achieved.  While Parkerball may be frustrating to watch, and I do agree with those that feel that way to a point, the final result is what really matters in my view.  I'll take an "ugly" win and three points every day of the week and twice on Sundays, no hesitation.

jarv

I love this forum from across the ocean. I get all my Fulham news, reports and opinions on here . Some do get a bit testy but we are all frustrated with the lack of football I feel. If you disagree, take a breath and let it go which is what I do. Hopefully, things will get better and the cottage will be open again soon. It better be when I schedule my next visit to UK. 049:gif

Penfold

Quote from: WindyCity on July 17, 2020, 02:58:18 PM

I have noted this year and over the past couple this notion of "beautiful football".  Sorry, but I just can't jump on board that train.  Pro sport is all about winning.  No matter how that result is achieved.  While Parkerball may be frustrating to watch, and I do agree with those that feel that way to a point, the final result is what really matters in my view.  I'll take an "ugly" win and three points every day of the week and twice on Sundays, no hesitation.

I think if winning was the total be all and end all we probably wouldn't have started following Fulham!

However, you are correct that as far as a professional sports club is concerned, it is about getting the result and it doesn't really matter how you get it.

I suppose, in reality, it has nothing to do with entertainment anymore.

WindyCity

Quote from: Penfold on July 17, 2020, 03:10:05 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on July 17, 2020, 02:58:18 PM

I think if winning was the total be all and end all we probably wouldn't have started following Fulham!

However, you are correct that as far as a professional sports club is concerned, it is about getting the result and it doesn't really matter how you get it.

I suppose, in reality, it has nothing to do with entertainment anymore.

Ha.  Yeah, winning football at CC has been difficult throughout its' history.

Just wanted to say that I can be 'entertained' watching an "ugly" game that results in three points.  Because throughout that so-called ugliness is usually a few splashes of good play and some strong play to hold on to that result. 

keithh

I did like the "Interlude" reference. I do sometimes think that we play "Not to lose" and I'd guess we may be masters of the number of passes from goalkeeper to forward line then eventually back to the keeper all without threatening their goal.