Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 15, 2020, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: davew on July 15, 2020, 06:44:48 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 15, 2020, 02:21:57 PM
Of course we can beat them.
No chance Sting!!

I think we're capable but unlikely.

I would give us about a 50% chance to beat Brentford. Higher against any of the other teams.

The Cravenette

They do score a lot of goals (hence the massive GD between us).  Over 2 legs I just can't see it but hopefully, if we do meet in the playoffs, it will be at Wembley and then our experience should be a massive help. We could do it.

Pity the White Wall can't be there  :016:

General

Quote from: The Cravenette on July 16, 2020, 11:45:57 AM
They do score a lot of goals (hence the massive GD between us).  Over 2 legs I just can't see it but hopefully, if we do meet in the playoffs, it will be at Wembley and then our experience should be a massive help. We could do it.

I think Brentford would win regardless of our experience there sadly. Villa had more wembley experience as a club etc when we played them and players who'd played in finals and Steve Bruce and John Terry who too both have quite substantial experience. We were simply the better team going into the game. Brentford are better than us. We need West Brom to slip up again in all honesty, otherwise a dose of luck in my opinion.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Whitestone on July 15, 2020, 02:24:13 PM
Brentford are decent I agree but they aren't Liverpool or Man City or any where near that good for that matter. Our current squad are more than a match for them. Now if you want bring tactics into the discussion that's a separate matter.

Yep, tactics are the key.
We know what they can do, how quick and skillful they are.
Tighten up at our full backs, stop them getting behind for crosses.
That would be a good start.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 16, 2020, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 15, 2020, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: davew on July 15, 2020, 06:44:48 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 15, 2020, 02:21:57 PM
Of course we can beat them.
No chance Sting!!

I think we're capable but unlikely.

I would give us about a 50% chance to beat Brentford. Higher against any of the other teams.

I keep changing my mind, sometimes I put us at 50%, often less but as you know, I'm a glass half empty with us at the moment!

Statto

Quote from: General on July 16, 2020, 12:48:56 PM

I think Brentford would win regardless of our experience there sadly. Villa had more wembley experience as a club etc when we played them and players who'd played in finals and Steve Bruce and John Terry who too both have quite substantial experience. We were simply the better team going into the game. Brentford are better than us. We need West Brom to slip up again in all honesty, otherwise a dose of luck in my opinion.

Why are they better than us? Because they've got 1 more point over 45 games? Allowing for the margin of error in the league table as an indicator of how good or bad a team is, I'd say all that tells you is we're on about the same level. The gulf between us and Villa was significantly wider (5 pts), they had no experience of the play-offs (sorry but having some players who'd played at Wembley isn't the same thing) and even then it was a tight final, won by a single goal, which would have had a very different outcome if Grealish hadn't missed the target from two yards out at one point.

MaidenheadMick

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 12:18:31 AM
Quote from: General on July 16, 2020, 12:48:56 PM

Why are they better than us? Because they've got 1 more point over 45 games? Allowing for the margin of error in the league table as an indicator of how good or bad a team is, I'd say all that tells you is we're on about the same level. The gulf between us and Villa was significantly wider (5 pts), they had no experience of the play-offs (sorry but having some players who'd played at Wembley isn't the same thing) and even then it was a tight final, won by a single goal, which would have had a very different outcome if Grealish hadn't missed the target from two yards out at one point.
Or Johansen hadnt skied a glorious chance over the bar 2nd half when in reality it was easier to score

Beamer

If the 'miracle' of automatic promotion doesn't happen I would far sooner we met Forest over 2 legs rather than Cardiff. At least then we would have a chance of having 11 uninjured players for the final.

SuffolkWhite

There is no telling who will go up out of the 4 teams remaining, but I do think we can go into this lottery with some confidence. We are not walk overs and nobody, not even Brentford will want to play us.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

blingo

west brom and brentford will be very nervous on weds. Barnsley will play with no pressure at all on them and will want to go out with a win. qpr will also play with no pressure on them and will look to beat brom who are not on the best of runs. Its there nd its possible. Is it worth a score to gain automatic promotion ? Blingo says YES. At 50 / 1  I'll take it.

Fulhamfan666

Quote from: blingo on July 19, 2020, 11:03:28 AM
west brom and brentford will be very nervous on weds. Barnsley will play with no pressure at all on them and will want to go out with a win. qpr will also play with no pressure on them and will look to beat brom who are not on the best of runs. Its there nd its possible. Is it worth a score to gain automatic promotion ? Blingo says YES. At 50 / 1  I'll take it.

Yeah I've put money on West Brom and Brentford losing and us winning. coyw