watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Marcelo Bielsa

Started by SP, July 19, 2020, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Rumoured to be getting a pay rise on his current salary of £6m. That seems a massive wage in the Championship. I don't rate their chances in the top flight, I wonder what month he'll be sacked in?

:wow:

Statto

He's overrated IMO but in fairness he was a coup for a Championship club. Would be like us replacing Parker with Pochettino if we don't go up.

Personally I reckon Leeds will be fine next season. They're a big club with a big name manager and will spend the money required to get big name players, but probably without cocking it up like we did.

Riverside

This is so tribal

People don't like Bielsa because he is managing Leeds
They would worship him if he was managing Fulham

Lets face it he is a real coup for a Championship team

And like all newly promoted teams it will be a challenge to stay in the Premier League
Though I believe they will make the right signings and stay up

If he was sacked I would gladly see him as a Fulham manager

rebel

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 10:04:45 AM
He's overrated IMO but in fairness he was a coup for a Championship club. Would be like us replacing Parker with Pochettino if we don't go up.

Personally I reckon Leeds will be fine next season. They're a big club with a big name manager and will spend the money required to get big name players, but probably without cocking it up like we did.

They move the ball quickly from back to front, will they get found out in the Prem, I think so. But it all depends on who they add to their squad.

Will he get 'bigger binoculars' for the Premiership.

Slaphead in Qatar

Thing I like about him is he changes things mid game if it's not going well - he doesn't hesitate to do this.

Them staying up depends on how well they buy - hope they don't do a Fulham or Aston Villa.

FFC1987

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 19, 2020, 11:26:47 AM
Thing I like about him is he changes things mid game if it's not going well - he doesn't hesitate to do this.

Them staying up depends on how well they buy - hope they don't do a Fulham or Aston Villa.

You'd have to think Leeds will be investing 100m+ to stay up really.

jeffc4golf

Overrated ? Wow if only we had a manager with half that experience we would be promoted long ago the way he has Leeds playing is awesome imo

Nero

This is a bang average championship, and Leeds have bang average players and a good manager, they have about 2 class players they been out of the top flight for 16 years dont think they have a lot of cash to splash, their best centre half is on loan from Brighton dont see them sending him back and stenghing a rival, expect the to struggle.
Especially if they allow 5 subs again next season the established cluns will have a lot more strengh in depth

The Rational Fan

Leeds United only has two premier league quality players Liam Cooper and Kavin Phillips signed up that should be starters.

The rest are loan players (Illan Meslier, Ben White, and Jack Harrison), slowing down (Pablo Hernández), inexperienced (Tyler Roberts), or just squad players (Luke Ayling, Stuart Dallas, Hélder Costa, and Patrick Bamford).

I would say available players looking to join a premier league club that has several options would consider joining better existing squad like Brighton, West Ham, or Watford, as their chances of staying up are much higher. I think Leeds will be smart with the cash and build a top-top championship squad that can get promoted again even if relegated.

RaySmith

He brings in super hard training sessions  so that Leeds are super fit, apparently.

Sounds a bit like a German manger we had at Fulham not so long  ago - though he wasn't that succssful!

One Martin Thomas

I think he's a good manager and will keep them up ! He didn't spend that much to get Leeds promoted so should do ok with cash !

I would have loved Bielsa at Fulham; I enjoy Leeds style of play !

Overrated 🤔 ?? Not sure about that !!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 10:04:45 AM

As people sometimes claim he is the greatest manager ever lived, he could extremely overrated and one of the best managers in the world today. In fairness, his title as the "greatest manager ever" seems to be his ability to coach other managers and the sheer number of managers he has coached. I wish Parker had been coached by him.

Frankly, given the praise he recieves he could be the "most overated manager of the championship in the last two decades" and still be "the best (or one of the best) managers of the championship in the last two decades".

bog

I don't go with the over rated line. Many of the top managers, including Pep learnt from Bielsa.

092.gif 

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 20, 2020, 07:37:31 AM
In fairness, his title as the "greatest manager ever" seems to be his ability to coach other managers and the sheer number of managers he has coached.

Indeed. It's a bit like looking at how Hodgson improved Etuhu and concluding that made Hodgson an excellent combative midfielder. Or looking at what Glenn Hoddle said about Eileen Drewery and saying she'd make a great midfield playmaker.

bog

Quote from: Statto on July 20, 2020, 08:47:15 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 20, 2020, 07:37:31 AM
In fairness, his title as the "greatest manager ever" seems to be his ability to coach other managers and the sheer number of managers he has coached.

Indeed. It's a bit like looking at how Hodgson improved Etuhu and concluding that made Hodgson was an excellent combative midfielder.

And Chris Baird from being booed when coming on a sub to being revered as 'Bairdino' and a member of the Europa League squad.

092.gif

ByTheRiver

It was big news at the time that, as well as being a coup obviously, Leeds were choosing to invest in a manger as opposed to players. Or at least split the budget so that it is weighted more heavily than is standard towards the manager. Presumably using the rationale a lot of us have pointed out about Parker that a good manager can make players perform well above their usual level (back to Roy with Paintsil, Etuhu, etc) and the results have proven that to be the case as I don't think Leeds have many Premiership standard players.

However... I think they will be fine next season. They are historically a huge club, they'll now have the budget and the pulling power of players wanting to play under Bielsa. I think they'll be fine. Might see an interesting South American import or two as well (given the pull of the Premier League along with Bielsa).

SP

I must confess I hadn't heard of him before he joined Leeds but I don't really follow world football. From what I've seen of Villa, I think they did invest their millions better than us despite their struggles but that wasn't difficult. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Nero on July 19, 2020, 02:13:29 PM
This is a bang average championship, and Leeds have bang average players and a good manager, they have about 2 class players they been out of the top flight for 16 years dont think they have a lot of cash to splash, their best centre half is on loan from Brighton dont see them sending him back and stenghing a rival, expect the to struggle.
Especially if they allow 5 subs again next season the established cluns will have a lot more strengh in depth

Sounds like a description of Roy's Europa team.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.