watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joe Bryan is sooo frustrating !!

Started by Riversider, July 23, 2020, 08:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

What does he offer defensively ? Anybody know ? The Wigan goal last night could have been a copy and paste from a dozen other goals this season, he made no attempt whatsoever to block that cross from coming in to the box, surely that's a priority for a full back,  is it not ?
Whatever division we are in next season we MUST sign both a left back and a right back,  can see Mendez-laing having a field day against us in the play offs.

jayffc

In fairness, we beat Cardiff once this season, and drew with them while playing with 10 men for 25 minutes....so yes potentially that could happen but on previous evidence they havent feasted on us yet  just 1 goal against us in two games.

Agree though regarding full backs , doesnt help that Bryan has has had no real competition to push him

Time will tell I suppose

The Rational Fan

Joe Bryan is ideal for a back five, which would have been an option after Hectors was able to play if Mawson and Kongolo had been fit.

Rodak
      Hector Mawson Kongolo
Christie       Reed           Bryan
                 Cairney
  Knockaert   Mitro      Cav

Subs: Ream, Arter, Onamah, Reid, Kamara, Kebano

Woolly Mammoth

Joe Bryan is not a full back defensively, he is a wing back, and would be a good asset in a back 5.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ByTheRiver

Yep. There had been a lot of talk (me included) about dropping him or, if you are to play him, play him LW (as we don't play with a back 5), but he did look to have been more solid in two or three games post-lockdown. Personally, I'd be going with Christie at RB and Odoi at LB for these play off games. Too much a stake to have such an obvious weak spot (saw a stat earlier in the season that 70% of our goals conceded where down the left and the space between Bryan and Ream LCB). Bring him on if chasing a goal or as a LW for extra cover if leading.

Then potentially, next year, if we do go with a back 5 (not an awful idea in the prem) and get the additional personnel (Ream will need replacing - two slow and not mobile enough on the turn for back 5, and at least one more CB), then he'd be ideal to make that role his own.

Riversider

Quote from: ByTheRiver on July 23, 2020, 09:17:46 AM
Yep. There had been a lot of talk (me included) about dropping him or, if you are to play him, play him LW (as we don't play with a back 5), but he did look to have been more solid in two or three games post-lockdown. Personally, I'd be going with Christie at RB and Odoi at LB for these play off games. Too much a stake to have such an obvious weak spot (saw a stat earlier in the season that 70% of our goals conceded where down the left and the space between Bryan and Ream LCB). Bring him on if chasing a goal or as a LW for extra cover if leading.

Then potentially, next year, if we do go with a back 5 (not an awful idea in the prem) and get the additional personnel (Ream will need replacing - two slow and not mobile enough on the turn for back 5, and at least one more CB), then he'd be ideal to make that role his own.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Dodger53

For there goal he is face to face with their guy who wants to cross the ball, what does he do? He turns around 360 degrees just in time to watch him plant in on the scorers head. Unbelievable. A school boy watching it called it school boy football!

filham

Parker will probably be setting up a defensive formation for the first leg at Cardiff, we could see Odoi at left back.

Whitestone

I agree with most of what's been said. I really like Joe but there have been too many occasions when he just hasn't stood up to his opponent. Last night was a prime example. Offensively he gives a lot but until we get replacements Christie and Odoi are the best option at full back IMO.

rebel

Quote from: Whitestone on July 23, 2020, 10:18:27 AM
I agree with most of what's been said. I really like Joe but there have been too many occasions when he just hasn't stood up to his opponent. Last night was a prime example. Offensively he gives a lot but until we get replacements Christie and Odoi are the best option at full back IMO.

He hasn't been in form, since 'transfer talk'.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 23, 2020, 09:05:36 AM
Joe Bryan is ideal for a back five, which would have been an option after Hectors was able to play if Mawson and Kongolo had been fit.

Rodak
      Hector Mawson Kongolo
                 Cairney

Poor Reed - what did he do in an earlier life to deserve a spot in a two man midfield with Cairney...

Southdowns White

Bryan defending for their goal, Playground football, spinning around like a northern soul dancer!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 23, 2020, 09:05:36 AM

Rodak
      Hector Mawson Kongolo
                 Cairney

You cannot start Cav over Kebano at the moment, and in that formation you cannot play Cairney over Onomah.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bobby01

I understand the criticism of Bryan, but yet again both centre halves marking no one.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

H4usuallysitting

DanVerSar

From what I read MLM played well at left back in the previous game. Why was he dropped?

rebel

Bryan is a confidence player, needs everything to be 100% to perform at his best. Heart on 'sleeve', easily knocked. Came to Fulham had trouble settling in, initially.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: DanVerSar on July 23, 2020, 02:16:26 PM
From what I read MLM played well at left back in the previous game. Why was he dropped?

Where did you read that? Was it a Facebook update from MLM's own mother?

I'm being cruel, he did 'okay'. We conceded three goals though after however many clean sheets before he returned to the team. Possibly at fault for the pen (shared responsibility). For me, he's a CB and can do a job covering there but not a LB (here at least, I know he played there for Nice).

toshes mate

I am feeling a little sorry for Joe Bryan.  He's always shown a slight problem when it comes to getting in the way of crosses whilst with us.  He's not alone in this since most of the defenders he has played with seem to have a similar problem at least some of the time, and he has been expected to race up the left wing and provide the crosses for our strikers, whilst keeping all his digits crossed that at least somebody is covering for him should things break down.  The lad is clearly on the verge of repetitive attacks of multiple personality disorder and is clearly losing track of where he is on the pitch.  Malone, Targett and Fredericks handled this problem better for us in the past although often caught out, but the issue has arisen on both left and right flanks when central midfielders go missing.   It's that panic button that gets pressed time and again in games we win, lose or draw and it has been present all season.

That is why I love Harrison Reed's phlegmatic approach to his game.  He is determined not to panic but to keep shape and read the game as best he can.  He also tries to signal and deliver his passes in such a way the receiver knows what to do next.  I just wish there were three Reeds, one on the left, one on the right, and one in the centre because it would bury the panic button out of sight.  For me its all about keeping shape and discipline and not losing heads which seems to infect at least three players every game.   The teams needs to concentrate for ninety minutes and not just when it is on top. 

Matt10

I think that goal was the only truly bad defending he did. The spin was completely unnecessary, and he gave his position away. He didn't let the same player do it to him again though. Anyway, I just skimmed through the 90 minutes, and literally that was one of the few times he didn't stop the cross. He saved a sure goal in the 70+ minute as well with a last ditch clearance.

He and Kebano work quite well overall. Looking forward to seeing how it goes the rest of the way. Also, even if slightly skewed, he got a 7.5 rating on whoscored for the match.

He is also ranked 2nd highest in overall ratings for us. Again, maybe skewed, but has to count for something. So overall, I'd say he's quite useful.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/170/Show/England-Fulham