watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Play off concerns

Started by bill taylors apprentice, July 25, 2020, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

Based on the way we have played the majority of the season and more importantly in the WBA & Wigan fixtures I'm concerned how we will approach the Play off semi's!

Having already secured a minimum of 4th place we had two free hits at winning the last two games and moving into 2nd place and failed.

Granted this needed other results to go our way but these last two games demonstrated to me how we play with too much caution and I think we might find it difficult to snap out of it.

If we repeat this on Monday we will be battered by the opposition until we concede and then give them the opportunity to 'manage' the game the way they want it to go in the home game

Like so many games this season we dominate possession with little to show for it because we don't have the spark that the last promotion team had and this just heaps pressure on ourselves.

Or maybe it will all just click and I'm worrying for nothing?

WhiteJC

I think the problem is that we tend to go "safety first" i.e. we, by we I mean Scott Parker?, plays "not to loose" rather than "play to win", Sir Roy used to play that way 99% of the time also however, he would change that when needed, Fulham v Juve as an example.

If we start with Mitro & AK47, then it would, to me anyway, signal our intention to win rather than not loose (assuming AK47 is fit enough for the full 90 minutes)

SouthernPC

Quote from: whitejc on July 25, 2020, 10:19:12 AM
I think the problem is that we tend to go "safety first" i.e. we, by we I mean Scott Parker?, plays "not to loose" rather than "play to win", Sir Roy used to play that way 99% of the time also however, he would change that when needed, Fulham v Juve as an example.

If we start with Mitro & AK47, then it would, to me anyway, signal our intention to win rather than not loose (assuming AK47 is fit enough for the full 90 minutes)

Is that in a 4-4-2 mate?

WhiteJC

Quote from: SouthernPC on July 25, 2020, 10:23:08 AM

Is that in a 4-4-2 mate?

to be honest I couldn't care less, if Mitro & AK47 play along side each other or one of them plays slightly behind the other is, for me, little interest. I just want to see them play together, running at the defenders with Mitro scaring the wits out of them and AK47 confusing them with his unpredictable actions, real bull in china shop stuff.
of course they would need decent service, through balls, crosses etc. but we've enough in our mid-field to provide?

Just to show my ignorance, I'm afraid that I grew up with 2-3-5, inside forwards and all that, I know the game has moved on but in "my day" right/left backs were just that, not wing-backs, and often you'd have a big-un and little-un up front, I'm not sure who would be considered the little-un out of AK & Mitro and I wouldn't want to be the one who told them!  :dft011:

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: SouthernPC on July 25, 2020, 10:23:08 AM

Is that in a 4-4-2 mate?

Whatever the formation players have to get closer to Mitro and not leave him isolated.

Woolly Mammoth

Whatever formations is or are used, we have to press the ball high, and if we lose the ball win it back straight away, and our tempo must be higher. Then whatever the formation the team will function better as a unit, as long as the players win their own battles and play within the framework of the team. More Leaders no passengers. If I was Scott Parker I would be saying in the dressing room, " how do you want to be remembered " " basics is the safety net to success " " the ball never gets tired ", the first 90mins + are the most important " " do not give them any hope when there isn't any"  " not one step back " and so on.
We have to be winners and of course the rub of the green and referee decisions can alter a game, but goals change games, and that is the catalyst.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

We've witnessed a rather inconsistent FFC the entire season.  We will see which FFC shows up for the playoffs. 

Would really be nice to score a goal or two away.  Really amp up the pressure on Cardiff.  It would be so nice to see our lads score first in these contests.

ChesterTheTabby

I cannot see this team failing to advance over two legs. Could be a cagey 0-0 first leg and a 1-0 win the second, or we batter them both, but I do think that we simply have too much quality for Cardiff over two legs.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

JimOG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 25, 2020, 10:59:38 AM
Whatever formations is or are used, we have to press the ball high, and if we lose the ball win it back straight away, and our tempo must be higher. Then whatever the formation the team will function better as a unit, as long as the players win their own battles and play within the framework of the team. More Leaders no passengers. If I was Scott Parker I would be saying in the dressing room, " how do you want to be remembered " " basics is the safety net to success " " the ball never gets tired ", the first 90mins + are the most important " " do not give them any hope when there isn't any"  " not one step back " and so on.
We have to be winners and of course the rub of the green and referee decisions can alter a game, but goals change games, and that is the catalyst.

I don't know if you watched the Brentford v Barnsley game? Barnsley did exactly that - pressed right up on their back 3 & I have to say the Bees had no answer to it. Undoubtedly they have some fine players...if you let them play but they were very poor when not allowed to play 'their' game

fulhamben

Quote from: JimOG on July 25, 2020, 05:19:45 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 25, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

I don't know if you watched the Brentford v Barnsley game? Barnsley did exactly that - pressed right up on their back 3 & I have to say the Bees had no answer to it. Undoubtedly they have some fine players...if you let them play but they were very poor when not allowed to play 'their' game
trouble is we can not press if mitro is playing. he is too slow for it to be effective
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

A lot of us have been complaining about tactics all season but Parker has stuck with his system, just being a little more adventurous in some games than others. We are not easily beaten and are not conceding too may goals but are having difficult scoring. Seven out of nine games unbeaten since lockdown is a good record.

Parker's tactics have got us into the play offs and we really should not expect a change of tactics for these last two or three matches, that would be disasterous .

Expect more of the same for the last three games and if I become bored to tears with wall to wall Parker ball and three
1-0 wins I will be as happy as a sandpiper.
We have a fit squad and the return of Kamara is good news but I suspect he is not match fit and the most we will see of him  is 30 minutes per match as an impact sub.

Twig

Quote from: WindyCity on July 25, 2020, 03:38:32 PM
We've witnessed a rather inconsistent FFC the entire season.

I know what you mean but the last 7 games unbeaten is pretty consistent so maybe hitting form at the crucial time?

Jim©

I just don't agree with this odd "we don't go for it" idea that some fans have. We've had the 4th most shots on target this season. Leeds, Brentford and West Brom respectively had more. Compared to the teams around us, we've had an issue converting chances, and my worry lies there, with Mitro. If he plays well in the next 3 we're unstoppable,  if he plays badly we'll struggle.

SP

Hoping BDR finally has a bit of luck & converts his chances rather than hitting the crossbar. I can dream.

Woolly Mammoth

Too much unnecessary worrying gents. Winners do not worry about what if this happens and what if that happens. There is 11 of them same as us, if they play to there best and we play to our best, we will win. If we fail to get past Cardiff then we don't deserve to go up, and we start again back in the Championship In the Autumn, that's life. Somebody wins and somebody has to lose.
I am not at all worried about Cardiff and neither should anyone else. Let Fulham do the worrying, but they won't be as they will turn Cardiff over probably both home and away.
We finished above them in the League for a reason, we were better than them, and that will not change on Monday or Thursday.
I expect an all English Club Final, but I do not really care who we play, as long as we are there, although I would prefer Brentford as it would be a local Derby and will add to the flavour and will be absorbing theatre.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 25, 2020, 10:28:59 PM
Too much unnecessary worrying gents. Winners do not worry about what if this happens and what if that happens. There is 11 of them same as us, if they play to there best and we play to our best, we will win. If we fail to get past Cardiff then we don't deserve to go up, and we start again back in the Championship In the Autumn, that's life. Somebody wins and somebody has to lose.
I am not at all worried about Cardiff and neither should anyone else. Let Fulham do the worrying, but they won't be as they will turn Cardiff over probably both home and away.
We finished above them in the League for a reason, we were better than them, and that will not change on Monday or Thursday.
I expect an all English Club Final, but I do not really care who we play, as long as we are there, although I would prefer Brentford as it would be a local Derby and will add to the flavour and will be absorbing theatre.

Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Man! (11 Men in fact)
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

AnOldBrownie

No point in worrying about something we can't control.

All we can hope is that the defense plays well, that we score first (from one of our many crosses, or a free kick...because our build up play and shots inside the box are generally inconsistent) and that we catch Cardiff on the counter with Abu when they try to attack us.

We don't know how to consistently generate scoring opportunities in the final third.   I doubt that is going to change.

Doesn't mean we still won't have a good shot at winning the series.   Of all the teams in the championship to have to rely on individual player brilliance, Fulham have most "good" players...so our chances are good.

Even if the build up is poor.  Even if we rely too much on crosses into Mitro.

keithh

Over 2 legs Cardiff will leek goals.

Arthur

Quote from: Jim© on July 25, 2020, 08:27:16 PM
...and my worry lies there, with Mitro. If he plays well in the next 3 we're unstoppable,  if he plays badly we'll struggle.

Agree. Key player. But when was the last time he played well in two consecutive games, let alone three?

A characteristic of many great players (like many great teams) is that if they can't play at an 8/10- or 9/10-level, they make sure they don't drop below a 5/10 or 6/10. Unfortunately, Mitrovic doesn't seem to have this ability; he comes up short with a 3/10 too often in my opinion.

WindyCity

Quote from: Twig on July 25, 2020, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on July 25, 2020, 03:38:32 PM
We've witnessed a rather inconsistent FFC the entire season.

I know what you mean but the last 7 games unbeaten is pretty consistent so maybe hitting form at the crucial time?

Let's hope so!!!  TBH, though, every game seems a challenge for this side.  Bet line and some fans in this forum believe FFC is a top 2 team and 'best in the league'.  Naturally, the standings don't bear this out.  As you suggest, hoping FFC hitting form at the right time proves fruitful.