watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 29/07/20...

Started by WhiteJC, July 28, 2020, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

"Kicked in the nuts" Cardiff second in all departments in yet another home Play Off's no show.

I'd mentioned before that I thought there were definite similarities between this season and Malky Mackay's first campaign in charge in 11/12 in that I rated the reaching the Play Off's as a real achievement then and had no real expectation of us doing much in them having got there.

That's how I felt about this season as well – although I'll praise manager and players for what they managed in the final ten league matches they played (twenty two points gained in that time), the truth is that they seldom looked like a potential top six side in the previous thirty six and, as we travelled up to Barnsley in early March to play our final pre lockdown game, I think Neil Harris' report after getting on for four months in charge would read something like "B minus, some slow improvement, but still much to do".

Going back to 11/12, the Play Offs themselves were something of a non event – West Ham kept us at arm's length for a while in the First Leg down here before pulling away to a comfortable 2-0 win and then were even more dominant in the return leg as they racked up a 5-0 aggregate win.

Well, tonight, the similarity with eight years ago was extended further as an admittedly impressive Fulham side achieved an away win by the same score West Ham managed and I for one wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they followed it up with a 3-0 win at Craven Cottage in three days time.

If anything, Fulham's win at Cardiff City Stadium was even more clear cut than their fellow London side's had been in 2012. Like then, City had a bit of go early on and caused one or two problems, but, from virtually the first drinks break onward, they had nothing to offer going forward as their limitations were laid bare by a side that were simply more accomplished than us in virtually every position on the pitch.

Is there a side with a worse home record than us in Play Off matches? I seriously doubt it – although people count the Leicester match in 2010 as a win, we actually lost that match 3-2 and I make it that we have lost six out of the seven home Play Off matches we have played now, with that 1-0 victory over Bristol City in 2003 being the sole exception to what is a pretty depressing rule.+

Neil Harris has progressed us in terms of ball retention since March, but tonight it was no contest between the teams in that department of the game. I'm afraid for all of the good things he has done since taking over (and I would say they well outweigh the bad), he does seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Fulham, because I'm sure I heard the commentator say that he had lost all five of his previous encounters with Fulham as a manager.

That record reads six out of six now and although I daresay there'll be talk of how Northampton were able to turn a 2-0 home loss to Cheltenham into a 3-2 aggregate win in this season's League Two Play Offs from the City camp in the next forty eight hours or so, the evidence of Harris' last three tussles with Fulham strongly suggests it will be seven out of seven soon.

Back in the autumn, Neil Harris' Millwall went to Craven Cottage for a game which set a few records in terms of possession stats as Fulham, with eighty four per cent of the ball, came very close to completing one thousand successful passes as they strolled to a 4-0 win. It wasn't as one sided a few weeks ago when we were beaten 2-0 on the same ground, but there was the same feeling of powerlessness throughout most of the second half as there was tonight as we tried to respond to falling behind to a brilliant Josh Onomah goal.

Our manager just does not seem to have anything that will knock Fulham out of the almost total control they have over his teams once they go a goal ahead – Fulham under Scott Parker have comfortably won their tactical battle against Neil Harris' Cardiff and there can be little doubt that the same thing with bells on applied when Harris' Millwall encountered Parker's Fulham.

I believe our manager has shown himself to be quite a good tactician in his time with us, which makes it somewhat odd that, presumably, he learned nothing from his Millwall team's early season trouncing at Craven Cottage that he could put to use in our loss there earlier this month and then again tonight.

A fine bit of defending by Michael Hector to deny Robert Glatzel what looked to the early goal we really needed bailed out his goalkeeper Marek Rodak after he had made a mess of a decent Leandro Bacuna shot following what was probably our best passage of play all night and there was a chance for the German striker shortly afterwards when he shot too close to the keeper from around fifteen yards. Apart from that, during a completely one sided second half, I can remember an effort from Lee Tomlin which forced Rodak into a save and Sean Morrison wasted a presentable chance when his poor control of a good ball by sub Josh Murphy meant a position which saw him potentially in on goal was spurned.

It was no excuse for what, to be frank, was a pretty feeble Cardiff display, but they weren't helped by a set of officials who favoured Fulham throughout right down to Geoff Eltringham's decision to penalise Morrison and award the visitors the free kick which enabled Neeskens Kebano to curl in a lovely second goal (described as a "kick in the nuts" by Neil Harris after the match) which has all but ended the tie as a contest. The referee had earlier waved play on in the first half for an identical "offence" committed by Hector, who, bluntly, has got away with whatever the footballing equivalent is for murder in the two recent meetings between the sides.

Without that goal, Fulham were in a position where, unlikely as it would seem, they were only one slip up away from losing their advantage, but now I cannot think of a reason why a City side that has only scored once in their three games with them this season would suddenly become capable of finding the three goals they need in one match to turn this tie around.

The three matches City have lost in the post lockdown period are all similar in that fans of the club spent the second half of the games with virtually nothing to cling to in the hope that the way the tide was running against us could be turned around – our opponents' control in the second forty five minutes was almost total and tonight was the most one sided of the three.

For all that I've enjoyed seeing us be more effective in possession lately because there have been tangible improvements in that area compared to what we saw until early March, those three games show that we are still poor by the standards of a league that has moved on in terms of tactical and footballing approach since the 17/18 season where our bludgeoning brand of football proved effective.

Okay, the lower standard of the league this season says that this new, more sophisticated approach is not infallible, but I do feel that our promotion two years ago was something of a last hoorah for the sort of anti possession, long ball game that we played then. It will need a better side than us, at  a higher level than us to achieve measurable success by using that way for that style of play to mount an effective fightback.

We've started making what I think are necessary adjustments, but Blackburn and Fulham have shown what others will be probably do as well in the coming months as they let us know that we still have a very long road to travel if we are to get to the level they can reach on a good day.

With that in mind, I wonder about how right match summariser Danny Higginbotham was when he talked during the game about how "working class" clubs such as us, Millwall and Stoke have supporters who demand certain things from their players.

The certain things he was talking about can be put down to effort and attitude essentially in that supporters of these sort of clubs will forgive their players almost anything provided they put in a full shift every game. To be fair to Higginbotham, that is something I've often heard said about Cardiff City and its supporters, but it has always struck me as somewhat patronising and a convenient justification for a style of play which is old fashioned and predictable.

Are clubs like us, Millwall and Stoke more working class than, say, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham and Blackburn all of whom have traditionally expected a footballing approach from their team and have been quick to turn against attempts to inflict a style of play which has almost come to be accepted as the norm at Cardiff on them? I don't think they are.

I watched Fulham for three quarters of this season in their occasional appearances on Sky and was not impressed, I thought they were slow, dull and not making the most of their strengths, but I'm coming around to thinking I was wrong, because, unlike a few of their sides over the past few years, this one does not mind getting their kit dirty as they do what have become known as the "nasty" things in the game effectively.

I've seen some possession teams in the Premier League and Championship being written off as "tippy, tappy" by some City fans – I don't think I need to explain what that means, it is pretty obvious and I would concede that it is a criticism that could be applied to some Fulham sides of recent vintage (last season's for example).

However, one of the reasons why they've been able to make us look so ineffective in possession on a couple of occasions within the last month is because they have worked so hard on the rare occasions when they were not in possession at limiting our options that they cannot be criticised when it comes to effort and attitude.

Yes, our relative lack of technique as a team and the sort of naivety which saw us caught offside so often tonight made Fulham's task easier, but they've managed to be better than us with the ball, as would be expected, and, more surprisingly, without the ball in our two most recent meetings – it's just that they have done it in a manner which is not as blood and guts as what has become the "Cardiff way" is.

Going back to Millwall, Neil Harris' playing exploits for that club probably justify the completely overused title of "club legend" being applied to him and, if this is the case, then it's almost certainly correct to say that their supporters were prepared to forgive him an awful lot when he took over as a manager. However, you look at Millwall messageboards today and while there are still those whose opinion of our manager continues to be an affectionate one, there seems to be at least as many who talk of things going stale on a diet of non stop physical, direct football produced by Harris Millwall teams – it seems some fans of "working class" Millwall want more than "working class" football from their team.

As I have said lately on here, I haven't got the impression that our manager is solely a "Warnockball" man in recent matches of ours (although I must admit I didn't see a great deal that was different from the Warnock approach in his first twenty or so matches in charge for us) and it does need to be pointed out that all of the players we used tonight were signed by other Cardiff managers.

To be precise, the large majority of them were signed by a manager who, almost always, looked for wholehearted scufflers above technicians when it came to midfielders and defenders, while the signing of someone like Gavin Whyte epitomises the Warnock approach to what he wants from his wingers as things such as work rate and defensive responsibility are, seemingly, placed above creativity and attacking flair in a position where fans I would say without exception expect the balance to be more in favour of the latter two qualities I mentioned above the former ones.

Our two wingers were well beaten in their individual contests tonight, as were most of our ostensibly creative players in further proof of my earlier contention that Fulham were a lot better than us at both the "tippy, tappy" stuff and the stuff which is, supposedly, the staple diet of Cardiff fans when we're talking about what they want to see from their players.

I've long been someone who wanted, and appreciated, more from City players than them just getting "stuck in" and have wondered how small a minority I'm in when thinking that way, but the widespread early season criticism of the "Warnockball on steroids" approach had me wondering if there may be more of us than I thought.

What I do wonder about though is how those at the top of the club view those who have devoted years, and, in lots of cases, many decades to Cardiff City, because, for the best part of ten years now, (one soon to be abandoned experiment with a new approach and the Ole episode, where it was well nigh impossible to work out what the plan was, apart), we have favoured managers who have largely produced "get stuck in" teams who have favoured "get stuck in" footballers – is this the policy at the club because they feel it is what us supporters want?

You never know, we might go up to London and win 3-0 on Thursday and, not for the first time, I'll have to eat a large slice of humble pie, but, to be honest, I can't see that happening. Scott Parker, apparently, concedes that Fulham have a weakness when it comes to letting in the first goal in a game (their record definitely suggests they do), but if we were to score first on Thursday, the difference is that Fulham will still be ahead and in a position where their record compares with the best in the Championship. More than possible Fulham weaknesses though, that miserable home Play Off record suggests that, historically, Cardiff struggle when the onus is on them to force the pace and find a way to break down a side content to sit back and defend – you know, situations where we need a bit more than "get stuck in".

+ I'm grateful to the messageboard poster called Eric the Half a Bee who posts on one of the City messageboards I use for this analysis which shows just how awful our record in home Play Off matches is;-

"7 playoff ties at home. Won 1, lost 6. Scored 3, conceded 13.

Where does that stand? Firstly, I thought I'd find out if losing 4 home playoff games on the trot was a record. It is. I didn't have to do much research to find this out. No other side in playoff history has lost more than 3 games at home in total. We've lost 6.

Our home win percentage is the second lowest of any side who have played 5 or more playoff games. Huddersfield have played 9 playoff games without a win, but they've at least drawn 6.

No side has failed to score at home as often as us.

Only one side has conceded more at home than us.

Pretty poo, ain't it?

To rub salt into the wound, Swansea have won 6 and drawn 1 at home in their 7 playoff games...."

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/kicked-in-the-nuts-cardiff-second-in-all-departments-in-yet-another-home-play-offs-no-show/

WhiteJC

Fulham determined to finish the job against Cardiff in Championship play-off semi-final, says Scott Parker

Superb strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano put Fulham in a commanding position

The Independent employs reporters around the world to bring you truly independent journalism. To support us, please consider a contribution.

Scott Parker said Fulham are determined to finish the job after seizing a 2-0 first-leg lead over Cardiff in their Championship play-off semi-final.

Superb strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano put Fulham in a commanding position ahead of the return game at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

"Overall it was a good performance," said Fulham head coach Parker. "We weathered the storm early on and got a foothold in the game. I think we're well worthy of the two-goal lead at this stage.

"We worked our socks off and our foundation was built on concrete, but it will be another huge battle on Thursday. This is only halfway through and we'll stand up to the challenge."

Kebano's free-kick in stoppage time sparked huge celebrations on the Fulham bench.

Cardiff manager Neil Harris suggested the celebrations were excessive – "it looked like they had won the tie" he told Sky – but Parker rejected that claim with 90 minutes to come in west London.

"Neil has said a lot over the last week and few weeks, I just see a group of players," said Parker, who lost 26-goal top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic before kick-off with a slight hamstring injury.

"I didn't see anything that was over the top, I just see a professional team that understood that there is only half of this tie done.

"The players were pleased, and rightly so, to score two away from home, but at the end of the game I see a real professionalism from us."

Cardiff counterpart Harris described the second Fulham goal as a "right kick in the nuts", but insisted the Bluebirds are not out of the tie.

"The first 25 minutes we were excellent, but we have to take one of our chances then and get on top," Harris said.

"After the drinks break Fulham were better, but at half-time we were relatively happy. Second half, we never really got going.

"They pressed much better and made it more difficult to build attacks."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/cardiff-vs-fulham-result-final-score-goals-scott-parker-a9641241.html

WhiteJC

'Give Josh Onomah the Ballon d'Or': Fans left in disbelief at Fulham star's wonder goal in play-off semi-final against Cardiff... with one boldly hailing his arrival from Tottenham as the 'best transfer deal in history'

Josh Onomah scored a sensational solo goal to help Fulham win away at Cardiff
    Scott Parker's side ran out 2-0 winners in Wales to take hold of the play-offs
    The goal sparked a flurry of activity on social media among Fulham supporters
    One fan boldly suggested that Onomah should get a Ballon d'Or as recognition

Josh Onomah's moment of magic in the play-off semi-final against Cardiff sparked calls for the former Tottenham man to be recognised with a Ballon d'Or.

While the 2020 award - which crowns the best individual player in the world for the last year - has been axed, it has not stopped Fulham fans' praise for Onomah after his solo goal sent social media crazy on Monday night.

With the game stuck at 0-0 early in the second half, Onomah picked up the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the box, turned his marker brilliantly before dancing past one, then two defenders, to slot past Alex Smithies.   

Josh Onomah was the star performer for Fulham as they downed Cardiff in a play-off semi-final

Onomah's weaving run for a brilliant solo goal broke the deadlock in a tight play-off first leg

Fans were stunned by the contribution and hailed the finish across social media on Monday

GIVE JOSH ONOMAH THE BALLON D'OR,' one supporter exclaimed after Fulham went 1-0 ahead.

Another added: 'Josh Onomah has just walked through Cardiff's defence like they were cones. Fantastic stuff.'

Onomah, who started in the No 10 role behind Bobby Reid in attack for Fulham, sent Scott Parker's side on their way and a late strike by Neeskens Kebano put them a step closer to the Wembley finale. 

His goal sparked a huge squad celebration near the bench as they took control of the contest

Onomah, 23, came through the academy ranks at Tottenham but was sold last year having failed to establish himself in the first team under Mauricio Pochettino.

He swapped north London for west in a £25million swap deal involving Ryan Sessegnon going the other way and few contributions proved as important as his in South Wales on Monday night.

'£25m + Josh Onomah now looks like the best deal in transfer history,' another fan wrote. 'We see you @TonyKhan'

While Parker may not have been calling for Onomah to swat away Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for top honours, he did pick out the former Spurs midfielder for praise in the aftermath of the win in Cardiff.

'I'm so happy and proud of him,' he said. 'He could've folded at times but he stood up. He'll become even better than what we're seeing now.

Cardiff have been left with a lot of work to do if they are to turn it around to reach the final

'For the goal these are the positions we look to get him in – from there his skills and quality come through. I've spoken to the players about perseverance, character, drive and attitude – Josh probably epitomises that.'

The play-offs now hang in the balance with Fulham holding a commanding lead heading back to Craven Cottage for the second leg on Thursday.

In the other game, Fulham's west London rivals Brentford have work to do as they find themselves 1-0 down after the first leg against Swansea. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8567359/Fans-left-disbelief-Fulham-star-Josh-Onomahs-wonder-goal.html

WhiteJC

Parker pleased with 'fantastic' Fulham

Scott Parker hailed a fantastic Fulham performance that put his side firmly in control of their Championship play-off semi final after two second half goals gave the Whites victory over Cardiff.

Parker's side made light of the absence of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who wasn't risked for the first leg after picking up a hamstring problem in training on Sunday, by carving out a strong advantage thanks to strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano. The Fulham boss was delighted by the way his side adapted to proceedings after making a slow start, eventually dominating possession and limiting Cardiff to very few openings.

Parker told his post-match press conference:

"Overall it was a very, very good performance for us, a strong performance. "We weathered a little bit of a storm early on in the game, but we understood what we were coming into and we knew what we had to do. We got a foothold in the game, we had a real control about us, kept the ball very, very well.

He said that there were a few stern words in the dressing room at half time and his tactical tweaks paid almost immediate dividends, with Onomah opening the scoring with a sensational individual goal.

"We probably lacked a little bit of an impetus, certainly in the first half, so we changed things around a little bit second half in terms of our positioning and looked to be more of a threat and cause Cardiff some problems. Second half we executed that plan very, very well. We showed a real quality about us and were well worthy of the two goal lead.

Parker warned his charges not to take anything for granted as he expects Cardiff to make a fast start at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

This tie is only halfway through. There's still a lot of football to be played. I also understand that what got us the result today was a team that worked their socks off, a team that was organised out of possession and nullified them to very few chances. That's what you saw second half, there was a foundation about us that was built on concrete today. And from that you see players' skill, you see a fluidness about us, and we need to do that again in the next game. We need to understand it's only half done, we need to be professional.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/07/parker-pleased-with-fantastic-fulham/

WhiteJC

Onomah dedicates Cardiff City stunner to Fulham boss Parker

The Anglo-Nigeria netted a sublime away goal to help the Cottagers keep their English top-flight promotion hopes alive

Fulham midfielder Josh Onomah has dedicated his goal in their first leg of the semi-finals of the Championship play-off against Cardiff City on Tuesday to the club's manager Scott Parker.

The 23-year-old's strike and an effort from the Democratic Republic of the Congo international Neeskens Kebano gave the Cottagers a 2-0 advantage ahead of the second leg on Thursday.

After a cagey first half, Onomah, brought life into the game in the second half when he received the ball from Harrison Reed and beat three of his markers in the box before slotting home his effort, beyond the reach of goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

The midfielder has been a key component of the Craven Cottage outfit since joining the side from Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur last summer.

Onomah is delighted with his strike in the encounter and praised Fulham boss Parker for giving him the opportunity to showcase his ability.

"Harrison Reed gave it to me and when I got into the box I knew they couldn't really touch me so I triple-pass them and when I hit the back of the net I was over the moon," Onomah told FFCtv.

"It was a great feeling for men and my family, we will go into the second leg and do the same again. I relaxed, stayed calm and gained composure and did that and got the reward for it.

"He [Parker] is someone I looked up to, I dedicate that goal to him because he someone who always believes in me and I thank him for giving me the chance.

"From the day one I have come in he has always believed in my ability trying to get the best from me and towards the end of the season, I started to show him. 

"We started the game quite slowly and in the second half we came out strong and we got the goal after the goal we defended as a team and worked hard and it shows how good the morale is

"We must be composed, stay calm and do the same thing on Thursday."

Onomah has now scored four goals and provided three assists in 34 appearances across all competitions this season and will hope to help Fulham achieve their target of playing in the Premier League next campaign. 

The midfielder has featured for England at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20, U21 level but he still eligible to play for Nigeria through his parents, having not represented the European country at senior level.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/onomah-dedicates-cardiff-city-stunner-to-fulham-boss-parker/1c7cbuhi5cnud1484xyzpyzozq

WhiteJC

WATCH: Neeskens Kebano worldie takes Fulham step closer to EPL football

Fulham are one step closer to playing English Premier League next season football following a 2-0 win over Cardiff City in the Welsh capital on Monday evening.

The win comes as a huge boost to the London club who will play host to the Bluebirds in the second-leg on Thursday, with the winner to take on either Brentford or Swansea City in the Championship playoff final.

Josh Onomah opened the scoring at Cardiff City Stadium with a brilliant individual effort before Neeskens Kebano made sure of the result in second-half added time.

The Democratic Republic of Congo international hasn't played as much football as he would've liked this season due to injury and a dip in form, but he stepped up when it mattered most: curling home a superb free-kick.

Watch both goals, here:

https://africanfootball.com//news/779545/WATCH-Neeskens-Kebano-worldie-takes-Fulham-step-closer-to-EPL-football

WhiteJC

Losing to Fulham feels like déjà-vu all over again

"They were better than us, much better than us. We have been beaten by a very, very good side."

"We were far too passive in the first half."

"On the money they have spent, they should be a Premier League side."

These were the comments of Neil Harris after a humbling defeat to Fulham, but not last night. Not even earlier in the month. These were from August, when his Millwall side conceded 84% of possession and four goals.

They say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over, while expecting different results. Well the match last night was pretty much a carbon copy of the game from three weeks ago.

After a relatively comfortable, albeit fruitless start, Fulham found a foothold, went a goal ahead and never looked back. They rarely do once they take the lead. Last night was so disappointing primarily because it felt like Cardiff had learned nothing.

I know possession is not Cardiff's thing and they have a recent history of playing worse the more of the ball they have, but they're evolving. There have been times under Harris where Cardiff have taken control of games and been far more proactive, but when they play Fulham, they appear to retreat in to their shell.

The reality is that Cardiff are Fulham's ideal opponent and they're in turn Cardiff's worst nightmare. You would fancy us to give Brentford or Swansea a game, but Fulham have the kryptonite and will take some stopping in these play-offs.

It's all gone a bit 2012, when Cardiff overachieved in Malky Mackay's first year in charge to make the top six, only to be humbled by a Premier League bound West Ham. None of this should take away from a brilliant first season for Harris. Cardiff look in safe hands and they did ever so well to finish fifth. Maybe they would have been better off finishing sixth though and leaving Fulham to Swansea.

I feel that Cardiff's best bet would be to start with Danny Ward, Callum Paterson and Will Vaulks, then instruct them to restrict Fulham's back four. Cut off the source for a side that builds from the back. Cardiff did this impressively against Arsenal last season, with Ward, Bobby Reid and Harry Arter, before losing faith in the approach a few games later.

Harris stated after the game last night that Cardiff "can't be too open, too early" in the second leg, which while understandable, also suggests that it may well be more of the same on Thursday. It feels like Cardiff are not only facing Fulham, but also their own inferiority complex.

Harris has been defensive on and off the pitch this week, in an attempt to heap pressure on Fulham, which was picked up on by Scott Parker last night, who commented that "Neil's obviously said a lot over the last few weeks." It felt rooted in frustration and a degree of inevitability. The only way to try and break the cycle is to do things differently, but that may be both unlikely and too late.

Cardiff are made of stern stuff and an early goal in the second leg could change everything, so we live in hope. It should also be noted that the season after Cardiff's stuffing at West Ham, they went on to win the league. Should history repeat, lets try it without the rebrand this time though.

https://viewfromtheninian.com/2020/07/28/losing-to-fulham-feels-like-deja-vu-all-over-again/

WhiteJC

Fulham take control of play-off semi-final with impressive win at Cardiff

(Image credit: Nick Potts)

Moments of brilliance from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano gave Fulham a 2-0 win at Cardiff and the upper hand in their Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final.

Fulham were establishing command when Onomah came up with a 49th-minute solo goal that will be long remembered and Kebano doubled the lead with a superb free-kick in stoppage time.

There appeared to be no danger to Cardiff four minutes after the restart with Onomah 18 yards out and his back to goal.

But the former Tottenham midfielder turned Marlon Pack and rounded both Sean Morrison and Curtis Nelson before slotting past goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

It was no more than Fulham deserved as Scott Parker's men underlined their reputation as the best passing side in the Championship and Cardiff – who finished one place and eight points worse off than the visitors in the regular season – struggled to lay a glove on them.

Fulham were weakened by the absence of Aleksandar Mitrovic, the Championship's top scorer, and Parker explained pre-match that he had to make a "calculated decision" to keep the 26-goal Serbia international in contention for the rest of the play-offs.

Mitrovic's absence meant Bobby Decordova-Reid, who left Cardiff for west London last August, filled a more forward role as midfielder Harry Arter also missed out.

Cardiff were unchanged from the side that secured a play-off spot by beating Hull – a third successive victory that meant the Bluebirds were the form team heading into the play-offs.

Manager Neil Harris would also have been buoyed by his play-off record as a manager: two appearances and two finals during his time at Millwall.

It was a lively start from both sides, but Cardiff carried the greater attacking intent in what was an open contest.

Leandro Bacuna's swerving shot proved too hot for Marek Rodak to handle, but the Fulham goalkeeper was saved by brilliant defending from Michael Hector.

Robert Glatzel looked as if he would prod in the rebound, but Hector got there first with an outstretched leg and somehow managed to scoop the ball away in the same movement.

Glatzel would hit the target twice in the first half, but the German's efforts lacked the power to ruffle Rodak.

Fulham slowly settled into their rhythm and Cardiff switched off at the far post to leave Onomah unmarked from Kebano's cross.

But Smithies came to Cardiff's rescue by flying off his line and spreading himself to save.

There was another escape for Cardiff in first-half stoppage time when Tom Cairney found space 20 yards out and shaved a post with a curled effort.

Fulham started the second half as they finished the first and, buoyed by Onomah's marvellous solo effort, went close again when Decordova-Reid rifled just over from 20 yards.

Bluebirds boss Harris responded with a triple substitution at the second drinks break in an attempt to prevent being completely overrun.
Advertisement

Danny Ward, Josh Murphy and Will Vaulks were sent on and Cardiff responded to fashion a golden chance before Morrison's control let him down.

That was to prove costly as Morrison body-checked Cairney and Kebano curled home the resulting free-kick from 20 yards, handing Fulham a significant advantage before the return leg at Craven Cottage on Wednesday.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fulham-take-control-of-play-off-semi-final-with-impressive-win-at-cardiff-1595883344000

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Fulham will stand up to the challenge in second leg

Scott Parker said Fulham are determined to finish the job after seizing a 2-0 first-leg lead over Cardiff in their Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final.

Superb strikes from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano put Fulham in a commanding position ahead of the return game at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

"Overall it was a good performance," said Fulham head coach Parker. "We weathered the storm early on and got a foothold in the game. I think we're well worthy of the two-goal lead at this stage.

"We worked our socks off and our foundation was built on concrete, but it will be another huge battle on Thursday.

"This is only halfway through and we'll stand up to the challenge."

Kebano's free-kick in stoppage time sparked huge celebrations on the Fulham bench.

Cardiff manager Neil Harris suggested the celebrations were excessive – "it looked like they had won the tie" he told Sky – but Parker rejected that claim with 90 minutes to come in west London.

"Neil has said a lot over the last week and few weeks, I just see a group of players," said Parker, who lost 26-goal top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic before kick-off with a slight hamstring injury.

"I didn't see anything that was over the top, I just see a professional team that understood that there is only half of this tie done.

"The players were pleased, and rightly so, to score two away from home, but at the end of the game I see a real professionalism from us."

Cardiff counterpart Harris described the second Fulham goal as a "right kick in the nuts", but insisted the Bluebirds are not out of the tie.

"The first 25 minutes we were excellent, but we have to take one of our chances then and get on top," Harris said.

"After the drinks break Fulham were better, but at half-time we were relatively happy. Second half, we never really got going.

"They pressed much better and made it more difficult to build attacks."

Harris was unhappy with the award of the late free-kick, which Kebano curled home to double Fulham's advantage.

But he said Cardiff had shown their resilience enough times this season, including when they fought back from a three-goal deficit to draw 3-3 away to champions Leeds in December, to ensure that the tie was not over.

"The first goal (on Thursday) is going to be vital," Harris said. "If Fulham get it then it's going be really difficult for us.

"Fulham are huge favourites now but we are capable, with the players and the camaraderie we've got, of scoring goals.

"We are capable of clawing this back. We have the right character and mentality."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-fulham-will-stand-up-to-the-challenge-in-second-leg-1595886973000

WhiteJC

'Immense', 'Absolute unit' – Plenty of Fulham fans are impressed with one player's display v Cardiff City

Fulham edged closer to booking their spot in the Championship play-off final, as they beat Cardiff City in the first-leg of their play-off semi-final.

Goals from Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano saw Scott Parker's side take a two-goal lead into the second-leg at Craven Cottage later this week.

One player that played a key role in their win on the night was Michael Hector, with the former Chelsea defender catching the eye with a strong performance in the heart of the Fulham defence.

Hector also preserved Fulham's clean sheet on the night against Cardiff with an impressive tackle on Robert Glatzel, who looked destined to score from close-range.

Hector has made 23 appearances for the Cottagers since arriving from Chelsea in the January transfer window, and it's safe to say that he's made a positive impact in their bid to return to the Premier League this term.

Plenty of Fulham supporters took to social media to issue high-praise for Hector after this recent showing against Cardiff City.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/immense-absolute-unit-plenty-of-fulham-fans-are-impressed-with-one-players-display-v-cardiff-city/

WhiteJC

Onomah repays Parker's faith

Josh Onomah dedicated his play-off wondergoal to Fulham manager Scott Parker and says he is delighted to be able to repay some of his coach's faith following a slow start to life at Craven Cottage.

Parker, who coached Tottenham's under-18 side before moving back to west London to join Slavisa Jokanovic's coaching staff when the Whites won promotion to the top flight, picked Onomah as the makeweight in the deal that took Ryan Sessegnon to White Hart Lane last summer. The former England youth international found it tough to settle in his new surroundings initially but has really come into his own since the Championship resumed after lockdown.

Onomah told FFCTV about the part that Parker has played in his own development:

He [Parker] is someone I looked up to, I dedicate that goal to him because he someone who always believes in me and I thank him for giving me the chance. From the day one I have come in he has always believed in my ability trying to get the best from me and towards the end of the season, I started to show him.

The talented midfielder was perhaps guilty of underplaying the magnificence of his opening goal that sparked Fulham into life at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Harrison Reed gave it to me and when I got into the box I knew they couldn't really touch me so I dribbled past them and when I hit the back of the net I was over the moon. It was a great feeling for men and my family, we will go into the second leg and do the same again. I relaxed, stayed calm and gained composure and did that and got the reward for it.

Onomah admitted that Fulham were below-par in the first half as Cardiff made a quick start and recognises the importance of not resting on their laurels, despite establishing a two-goal lead.

We started the game quite slowly and in the second half we came out strong and we got the goal after the goal we defended as a team and worked hard and it shows how good the morale is. We must be composed, stay calm and do the same thing on Thursday.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/07/onomah-repays-parkers-faith/

WhiteJC

Parker: The job's only half done

Scott Parker insists his players won't get carried away by victory over Cardiff City in the first leg of their Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final, saying there is still a job to do in the return fixture.

The Whites were impressive in winning 2-0 at the Cardiff City Stadium on Monday evening, and will now be firm favourites to book a place in next week's Final at Wembley Stadium.

Speaking ahead of the second leg against the Bluebirds on Thursday, Parker says that while he was delighted with his side's first-leg performance, they know there remains work to do in order to seal their spot under the arch.

"I'm delighted with the first-leg performance," he told the club's media team. "Cardiff came out of the blocks quickly and we knew they would.

"We grew into the game, to be honest, we had a control about us and tweaked things at half-time. It worked very well, the players executed [the plan] and we were dominant in the second half.

"I'm very conscious though that the job is only half done. We've put ourselves in a fantastic position with a fantastic performance, but there's another 90 minutes of football to be played.

"We need to be fully aware of that, and we are. Overall, I'm very pleased, but there's another game to come."

Parker added that if his side are to reach Wembley, it will be the result of a true collective effort.

"The players have stuck together and we've shown that over the course of the season," he added, when asked about Fulham's team spirit.

"You've seen the good, intricate football we play and the quality that the players have, but that all comes from a certain ingredient, which is being solid out of possession.

"We built on a concrete foundation, and that's not just down to a goalkeeper or back four – that's what gets you what you saw in the second half [of the first leg].

The game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, with updates also available via Twitter (@SkyBetChamp). Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/parker-the-jobs-only-half-done/

WhiteJC

How Brentford vs Swansea City and Fulham vs Cardiff City play-off second legs are predicted to play out

This is how the play-offs are expected to go following the two first legs of the semi-finals

There's little to choose between Swansea City and Brentford ahead of the second leg of their Championship play-off semi-final contest on Wednesday night.

The Swans hold a narrow 1-0 advantage in the tie courtesy of Andre Ayew's 81st minute strike in the first leg at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday evening.

The Bees are firm favourites with bookmakers to win the second leg at Griffin Park, although there's precious little between the sides when it comes to determining who will reach the final.

The Pools have Thomas Frank's side as the 8/13 odds on favourites to win the second leg in 90 minutes, with Swansea being 17/4 to emerge victorious while a draw is priced at 3/1.

But in terms of winning the tie, they are offering odds of 5/6 for Swansea to book a date with Wembley, which is marginally shorter than the odds of 10/11 they will give on Brentford to reach the final.

Meanwhile, Fulham are fancied to win against Cardiff City at Craven Cottage on Thursday night.

Scott Parker's men hold all of the aces ahead of the second leg of their semi-final with Cardiff after beating the Bluebirds 2-0 in the first leg on Tuesday night.

The Cottagers are 21/20 favourites to emerge victorious on Thursday night, with Cardiff being at 14/5 to win the match. However, Fulham are massive 1/66 favourites to reach the final, with Neil Harris' men at 14/1.

As for the team most likely to reach the Premier League, Sky Bet have Fulham as the 10/11 favourites to be promoted via the play-offs.

Brentford are at 9/4 to go up while Swansea and Cardiff are 7/2 and 33/1 respectively at the midway point of the semi-finals.

The full list of betting odds on the play-offs are available below.

Brentford v Swansea semi-final second leg odds (via The Pools)

Brentford win - 8/13

Draw - 3/1

Swansea City win - 17/4

To reach the final(via The Pools)

Brentford - 10/11

Swansea City - 5/6

Fulham v Cardiff semi-final second leg odds (via The Pools)

Fulham win - 21/20

Draw - 12/5

Cardiff City win - 14/5

To reach the final(via Sky Bet)

Fulham - 1/66

Cardiff City - 14/1

Promotion odds (via Sky Bet)

Fulham - 10/11

Brentford - 9/4

Swansea City - 7/2

Cardiff City - 33/1

(All odds correct at time of publishing)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-swansea-fulham-cardiff-championship-18674574

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kebano shifts focus to Championship second leg semi-final playoff with Cardiff City

The DR Congo international has reflected on his side's performance against the Bluebirds and hopes they can complete the job at Craven Cottage

Fulham midfielder Neeskens Kebano has shifted his focus to their Championship second leg semi-final playoff with Cardiff City on Thursday.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo international delivered an impressive performance in Monday's 2-0 first-leg win over the Bluebirds.

After Anglo-Nigerian Josh Onomah put the Craven Cottage outfit in front with his wonder strike, the 28-year-old then sealed the victory in the encounter.

The effort was the midfielder's fourth goal in 17 games across all competitions this season and he has taken to social media to reflect on the showing while also appreciating the club's fans for their support.

"Thank you all for your messages. Great team spirit and [I am] very happy to have scored one more time. See you Thursday," Kebano tweeted.

Kebano has been with the Craven Cottage outfit since the summer of 2016 when he joined from Belgian side Genk.

The midfielder, who scored his first goal for Fulham against Wigan Athletic in February 2017, has now found the back of the net 12 times in 75 league games.

Kebano started his career with the ASA Montereau youth team before teaming up with French giants Paris Saint-Germain's youth setup in 2006.

The 28-year-old was promoted to the Parisians' first team in 2011 and featured in three Ligue 1 games for the side before joining Caen on loan.

The former France youth international later departed PSG permanently for life in Belgium with Sporting Charleroi, where he shone, scoring 18 goals in 68 league games during his two-year stay with the side.

His eye-catching performances caught the attention of Genk, who secured his signature in 2015 and he featured 37 times for the Blue and White before he moved to Fulham.

Kebano previously played for the France U17, U18, U19 and U20 teams before pledging his allegiance to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2014.

The midfielder made his debut against Ivory Coast and has now played 19 times for the country, scoring five goals.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fulhams-kebano-shifts-focus-to-championship-second-leg-semi/a361pc7awzmz1af64sdtnqoe2

WhiteJC

Yanks Abroad: Ream gets promotion playoff win with Fulham

We update you on the Americans playing abroad.

We've got a new & improved Yanks Abroad for you this week, as we catch up with our United States Men's National Team players who are playing overseas!

The German seasons have ended so the list is much shorter than normal, but it was an exciting weekend over in England with teams fighting to secure spots on the final day. Christian Pulisic & Chelsea secured their place in the Champions League, and we have Tim Ream fought for promotion with Fulham on Monday.

England

Christian Pulisic - Forward, Chelsea

After a disappointing loss at Liverpool the week before, Chelsea took care of business with a 2-0 win over Wolverhampton Wolves to take 4th place as well as that final UEFA Champions League spot. Pulisic's speed and tenacity helped create the second goal and put the game away.

He has truly has become one of Chelsea's best, most exciting players. They'll need him to be in top form in the FA Cup final against Arsenal on Saturday and the Champions League Round of 16 match up with Bayern Munich next week.

Just as the prophecy foretold, our boy is out there doing big things!

DeAndre Yedlin - Defender, Newcastle United

Newcastle finished the season in a safe, but disappointing 13th place and they did it without Yedlin for the most part. He had only one appearance in the team's last four games, after going 90 minutes in an ugly 5-0 beating from Manchester City.

His contract expires after next season and he has not been offered an extension yet, while they did extend the contract of fellow right back Javier Manquillo. So after four seasons with Newcastle, Yedlin is expected to be leaving this summer.

Tim Ream - Defender, Fulham

Fulham got the 2-0 win away at Cardiff in the 1st leg of their Promotion Playoff yesterday, setting themselves nicely to advance to the final and jump back up to the Premier League. Tim Ream has been the anchor of their back line all season as they recorded 17 clean sheets (2nd in the league), and they were also 5th best in goals conceded.

Italy

Andrija Novakovich - Forward, Frosinone

It's a very busy schedule in Italy for Serie B right now. Novakovich put in 90 minutes on Friday, recording an assist in a 3-2 loss against Benevento, and 84 minutes on Monday in a 1-0 loss at Crotone. Frosinone fell to 8th place with one match to play. The teams finishing 3rd-8th qualify for a promotion playoff.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-americans-abroad/2020/7/28/21340104/yanks-abroad-tim-ream-gets-1st-leg-promotion-playoff-win-with-fulham-usa-usmnt-united-states-soccer

WhiteJC

Preview: Sky Bet Championship Semi-Final second legs

Brentford (0) v (1) Swansea City
Wednesday 29 July - 19:45

Sunday evening's 1-0 win for Swansea City highlighted how chaotic the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs are, it had everything!

A penalty (and a penalty save), a sending off, the woodwork being rattled and a thunderous strike to win the game. The first 45 minutes presented a big chance for both sides, the first falling to Brentford and their top scorer, Ollie Watkins.

His backwards header looked destined for the bottom-right corner of Erwin Mulder's goal but the Dutchman's outstretched hand made sure the scores remained level.

Just before the break, Swansea had their chance, a corner by Conor Gallagher was met by the head of Andre Ayew - but he could only look on as his effort cannoned off the right-hand post.

The second period took off and Ayew's performance after the break summed up the highs and lows of the Play-Offs. The low came first on this occasion...

After Rhian Brewster was fouled by Pontus Jansson in the box, Ayew retrieved the ball and placed it onto the spot, however a huge save from Bees goalkeeper David Yaya ensured the affair remained goalless.

The high for Ayew came 18 minutes later, as his wonder strike found the top right-hand corner of Raya's goal, giving the joint-Golden Glove winner absolutely no chance.

Rico Henry was also given his marching orders by referee Keith Stroud earlier in the second half, but that red card has since been overturned.

Stats ahead of the game

Brentford have lost three of their last four games against Swansea at Griffin Park (W1), including a play-off semi-final second leg in 2006 when both sides were in League One. However, they did win 3-1 at home earlier this season against the Swans.
    Swansea are winless in their last four trips to the capital in all competitions (D1 L3), most recently a 1-1 draw with Millwall in June.
    Brentford have lost just two of their last 16 Championship home games (W12 D2), conceding just three goals in their last six games at Griffin Park.
    Swansea have only kept one clean sheet in their last 10 Championship away games, however they've only failed to score in two of those trips on the road.
    Brentford are winless in their last 11 Football League play-off games (D3 L8), last winning in May 2002 against Huddersfield in the third tier semi-final second leg.
    No team scored more goals at home in the Championship this season than Brentford (44 goals, also West Brom). In contrast, only Sheffield Wednesday (39), Leeds (37) and Brentford (36) scored more on the road than Swansea (35).
    During the 2019-20 Championship campaign, Saïd Benrahma was involved in 291 open play sequences that ending in a shot; 46 more than any other player in the division.
    André Ayew has been directly involved in 25 goals for Swansea in all competitions this season (18 goals, 7 assists); just one fewer than his last three campaigns combined in England and Turkey (26).
    No player has scored more home goals in the Championship this season than Brentford striker Ollie Watkins (14, also Aleksandar Mitrovic).
    Rhian Brewster has eight goals in his 11 appearances on the road for Swansea this season, including each of the last three.

Fulham (2) v (0) Cardiff City

Thursday 30 July - 19:45

Scott Parker's Fulham side put themselves in pole position ahead of Thursday night's second leg against Cardiff City at Craven Cottage.

Two second-half goals of pure quality separated the Whites and the Bluebirds on Monday evening. After an uneventful first-half, Fulham kicked into overdrive.

The first goal for Fulham came four minutes after the restart; a majestic solo strike from Josh Onomah saw him skip past three players before giving Alex Smithies the eyes and slotting home.

Parker's decision to leave out the league's top-scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic paid off. The Serbian was touch-and-go ahead of the game at the Cardiff City Stadium due to injury and, with eyes on their second-leg home fixture, he was not risked.

It proved to be a smart choice by the 39-year-old manager, whose evening got a whole lot better as Neeskens Kebano fired home an exquisite free-kick moments before the final whistle.

Mitrovic could, of course, come back into the fold for that second leg on Thursday evening, but the Whites boss might have an eye on the Play-Off Final instead, especially with that two-goal lead after the first leg.

Stats ahead of the game

No team have ever failed to reach the Championship playoff-final after winning the semi-final first leg by 2+ goals (15 previous instances).
    Fulham are unbeaten in their last six home games against Cardiff (W3 D3), including 2-0 victory as recently as July 10th.
    Cardiff have won six of their last eight games on the road (L2), with four of those victories coming by a two-goal margin or larger.
    Fulham are unbeaten in their last eight games, winning six and drawing two whilst keeping five clean sheets during this run.
    During the regular Championship season, Fulham made 588 sequences of 10+ passes from open play; 139 more than any other side in the division. In contrast, Cardiff City made just 88 – the fewest of any side.
    Cardiff City had the oldest average starting XI during the regular Championship season, with an average age of 28 years and 143 days old.
    Fulham's Josh Onomah has been directly involved in five goals in nine games since the restart (3 goals, 2 assists), after just two in 23 league appearances in 2019-20 before the break (1 goal, 1 assist).
    Cardiff City scored 28 set-piece goals during the 2019-20 Championship season; two more than any other side. In contrast, only Barnsley (12) score fewer such goals than Fulham (15).
    Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 14 goals in 20 Championship home games this season, netting three in his last two games at Craven Cottage.
    Lee Tomlin has had a hand in 18 Championship goals this season (8 goals, 10 assists); eight more than any other Cardiff City player.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/preview-sky-bet-championship-semi-final-second-legs/

WhiteJC

Morale is high, says Onomah

Scott Parker asked his players to rise to the occasion ahead of the Play-Off Semi-Final first leg, and they did just that, with two stunning solo goals by Josh Onomah and Neeskens Kebano, giving Fulham a two-goal advantage in their quest to reach another Sky bet Championship Play-Off Final.

With no side having failed to reach the Championship Play-Off Final after winning the Semi-Final first leg by two goals or more, Parker's side will be firm favourites to reach next week's Final at Wembley Stadium and with Fulham now unbeaten in their last eight games, 23-year-old Onomah admits morale is high in the camp.

"I think we started quite slowly in the first half," he admitted, after the first leg at the Cardiff City Stadium.

"But in the second half we came out sharp and were determined to score. After the first few minutes, I just knew we were going to score and thankfully I got that goal."

And what a goal it was. Some dazzling footwork and a stunning individual effort - described as a 'thing of beauty' on the night - put Onomah on the scoresheet as he finished the move by calmly passing the ball past Cardiff goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

"I've been working on scoring a lot to be honest," he continued. "I just tried to keep my composure to find the back of the net.

"Credit must go to Cardiff though, they were in the game and put pressure on us, but I think once we scored first it lifted our spirits and we controlled the game from there."

Since the restart in June, Onomah has been directly involved in five goals in nine games (three goals and two assists), a big turnaround from his previous 23 appearances before the break, where he had just one goal and one assist to his name.

"I think it's just my mentality to be honest with you," he said, when asked about his recent form.

"I've treated every game like a final and played every game as if it's my last, and I think I've reaped the rewards from that so I can't wait for the next game and hopefully one more game after that."

Onomah featured in the 2018 Championship Play-Off Final, in which Fulham defeated Aston Villa at Wembley. He was wearing Villa colours that day, but is confident Fulham can reach the National Stadium again to give themselves a chance of Premier League football again next season.

"We've got a great bunch of lads in the team. There's competition for places, everyone's performing and morale is high at the moment.

"We have to keep going and take our form and performances into Thursday's game."

The game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, with updates also available via Twitter (@SkyBetChamp). Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/morale-is-high-says-onomah/

WhiteJC

How Josh Onomah found form at perfect time to silence Fulham doubters after Tottenham transition

The 23-year-old struggled at his new club to begin with but his goal in play-off semi-final against Cardiff has offered a timely reminder of his ability

Josh Onomah puts Fulham in front away to Cardiff. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Josh Onomah has chosen a fine time to hit his stride.

The Fulham attacking midfielder did not have the easiest of starts at Craven Cottage, arriving as a supplement to the £25million fee Tottenham paid for Ryan Sessegnon, and facing criticism internally and from the stands as he struggle to find form.

Transitioning from Spurs, following mixed loans at Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday, has proven difficult. Dealing with end of a dream at his boyhood club was one thing, the weight of expectation at another club expecting to win promotion immediately was another altogether.

It took 14 games for him to score in the Championship, 10 to provide an assist, and there was an awareness within Fulham that his confidence had plummeted.

There was a knee injury that kept the 23-year-old out for several weeks before the break, too, but his goal in the first leg of their play-off semi-final against Cardiff City on Monday night was part-reminder of his ability and part-quietening of those critics.

For Scott Parker, who has known Onomah since he was in Spurs' Under-18 side, there was little doubt that he would come good. That he has found a higher gear in such timely fashion, though, has been crucial to the West London side's promotion hopes.

"He's been fantastic, not just since the restart but since we brought him in," Parker said. "Josh will be the first to say he struggled at the start and he came under a little bit of criticism as well internally in terms of how people see him.

"I'm very proud of how he came through that to be honest. He's a young boy who needs to grow. That adversity at the beginning, he struggled a little bit but you're seeing a side to him now that he's become stronger for that."

Parker feels that the loans at Villa and Wednesday, both under Steve Bruce, had an unsettling impact. He did well in Birmingham but never really got going in Sheffield and a sense of stagnation had taken hold for a player who promised so much when he broke into Mauricio Pochettino's squad during the 2015/16 campaign.

For Fulham's manager it has been about restoring that believe, showing him some love. That process has taken a little more time than hoped but it has worked.

"I had him as a young boy and he needed a bit of a home," Parker added. "He had a couple of loans and was in and around it at Tottenham but he needed a little bit of love and time and developing. Put him in an environment where he is learning. We're reaping the rewards of that. His goal was fantastic."

Which seems a roundabout way of suggesting that Onomah is a typical confidence player, someone who needs those around him to believe but more importantly he needs to trust in himself to thrive.

"He's got every facet but he needs to understand what makes him such a good player and he needs to believe in it a little bit," Parker continued.

"He maybe just needed nurturing a little bit. He's a very, very good player and there is plenty more to come.

"He needs to understand what gets him these performances. He needs to understand there's is a certain part, a certain ingredient he needs to bring to the game and when he does that he is an exceptional player. I'm pleased for him."

Two more performances like the one in South Wales would make pleased seem a great understatement.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/how-josh-onomah-found-form-18676504

WhiteJC

Fulham must move now for Charlton Athletic starlet amid Luton Town "bid"

If Fulham want to sign January transfer target Alfie Doughty from Charlton Athletic, they must move now.

As covered here on The72, Fulham held interest in Charlton Athletic starlet Alfie Doughty in the January transfer window. The Addicks held on to Doughty and reports have emerged in recent months claiming the club have made efforts to try and tie the youngster down to a new deal.

However, amid Charlton's relegation to League One, it is feared that Doughty is one of the club's prized assets that could be sold. Manager Lee Bowyer said to London News Online he fears Doughty could depart if the right offer comes in, saying:

"If someone comes for Dillon [Phillips] then with the club's state at the moment are you telling me they are not going to sell him? Of course they will. They are going to sell Alfie {Doughty] as well."

Not long after Bowyer's comments, it has emerged that Luton Town are in for Doughty, also covered here on The72.

With Luton Town keen on Doughty, Fulham will need to move soon if they want to bring the youngster to Craven Cottage. Bowyer's words imply a sale is highly likely and given the Addicks' situation, they may not be in the mood to wait around.

Fulham have enjoyed success in building young talents recently, with Harvey Elliott the perfect example. Their business so far this summer indicates they are looking to replicate this success, signing Scottish starlet Kieron Bowie and former PSG youngster Ziyad Larkeche. A move for Doughty could see them do the same.

Doughty's performances for Charlton Athletic show he has a big future in the game. The 20-year-old was thrust into the side in the wake of the Addicks' injury crisis and maintained a spot in Bowyer's senior side, featuring 29 times in the Championship, scoring two goals and laying on three assists in the process.

It would be a worthwhile move for Fulham to bring Doughty in this summer. They could build him up to become a first-team player for years to come but with Luton Town making a bid, they will need to come in with an offer sooner rather than later

https://the72.co.uk/183203/fulham-must-move-now-for-charlton-athletic-starlet-amid-luton-town-bid/

WhiteJC

Play-off Semi-finals 2nd leg...
Who'll get to the final? still all to play for.
(Agg 0-1)

So after Swansea's win in the first round they must be looking forward to Wednesday's game. Brentford will be encouraged with getting Rico Henry's red card rescinded and being "at home" should give them some advantage?
Having lost 3 on the bounce Brentford will have something to prove and will be looking to recapture their form from after lock-down. They've not lost 3 in a row all season, the last time they lost 2 in a row was at the start of the season, both away games, to Leeds and Charlton.

Brentford's form since restart WWWWWWWLLL
Swansea's form, since restart WLDWWLDWWW
(Agg 2-0)

Fulham played some of the best football they've played all season against Cardiff in the first leg.
There was a danger of Fulham being all out of sorts for the first leg after missing out on automatic promotion, although it was a 'slim chance' as we needed West Brom to loose (they didn't), Brentford to loose or draw (they lost) and we needed to win, we drew. Then we got the news that Mitro', winner of this season's Golden Boot, had been injured in training and would miss the game however, he could be back for the game Thursday evening, or will he be rested/protected again? keeping him safe with a potential final in the offing.
Cardiff will surly be looking for revenge, they've been on a really good run since the re-start added to the possibility of a Wembley final against their South Wales rivals, I'm certain they'll make a game of it Thursday.

Cardiff have only lost 2 in a row once this season in February against Stoke and Forest.

Fulham's form since restart LLWWWWDWDW
Cardiff's form since restart WWDWLWWWWL

COYWs

Play-off Semi-finals 2nd leg...
Wednesday 29th

Brentford v Swansea

Thursday 30th
Fulham v Cardiff

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1237