watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (25/11/10)

Started by WhiteJC, November 25, 2010, 07:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/11/24/aj-close-to-full-fitness-64767-27709487/?

AJ close to full fitness

ANDY Johnson is close to recovering the form he had before his season-long lay-off, reckons team-mate Chris Baird.

The former England striker is still feeling his way after a frustrating year out of the pictures and arrives at a time when the Whites are desperate to see him flourish.

Having lost Bobby Zamora and now Mousa Dembele to injury, the pressure is on Johnson to make an instant impact, even though he has yet to score after a month on the comeback trail, but Baird is confident the striker will deliver.

"He's going to be vital in the next few weeks, but every day he's getting quicker, sharper – like he used to be," said the defender.

"We need that with Moussa Dembele getting injured, so it's vital that he stays fit along with Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey up front.

"We are really glad to have him back. It gives us that outlet if we're in any trouble and you know what you're going to get from him because it's always 100 per cent."

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/3006/9/fulham-facing-werder-bremen-battle-safari?

Fulham facing Werder Bremen battle for Safari

Fulham face competition from Werder Bremen to land Basel defender Behrang Safari, with the German giants ready to make their move.

talkSPORT recently revealed how Fulham have been tracking Safari, with Mark Hughes weighing up a January move.

But the 25-year-old, who has been in impressive form for Basel in the Champions League this season, is also wanted by Bremen.

With his contract ending in the summer, Bremen are keen to offload Safari in the transfer window and will be willing to listen to offers around £2.5m.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6524870/English-clubs-tracking-Noring?

English clubs tracking Noring

Swedish goalkeeper Viktor Noring is attracting interest in England, with Fulham reportedly keen on the player according to his agent.

The Trelleborgs shot-stopper has impressed this season and reports have circulated that the 19-year-old will leave the Swedish club in January.

The Cottagers could move for the Sweden Under-21 international if Arsenal make a renewed attempt to sign Mark Schwarzer.

And Noring's agent, Martin Klette, claims four Premier League clubs and a Serie B side have expressed an interest in his client, but refused to name the Cottagers as one of those teams.

"I am now actively working to find a club for Viktor when the January window opens," Klette told Fotbolldirekt.se.

"We don't go public (on who the clubs are). But I can tell you that there are five clubs in England and Italy and that there are top league clubs, except for one that is in Serie B."

WhiteJC

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3244731/Blackburn-could-make-4m-move-for-Roque-Santa-Cruz.html

Santa is a £4m gift for Rovers

BLACKBURN are weighing up a £4million January move to bring striker Roque Santa Cruz back to Ewood Park.

The Paraguyan has had a miserable spell at Manchester City since his £17million switch in 2009.

And with his family settled in the area, he has told friends he would welcome a return to the East Lancashire club.

Rovers chief Sam Allardyce has made an experienced striker his top priority now he has cash to spend following the takeover by poultry firm Venky's. He knows City are in no hurry to sell but would be willing to listen to offers as Santa Cruz is way down Roberto Mancini's pecking order.

They will be looking for around £4m for the ex-Bayern Munich man.

But Rovers could meet that asking price after Venky's chairwoman Anuradha Desai promised Allardyce a January warchest.

She said: "New players will be arriving. Money will be available. We are not a selling club now."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3244731/Blackburn-could-make-4m-move-for-Roque-Santa-Cruz.html#ixzz16HIZ7pZJ

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24112010/58/premier-league-match-facts-fulham-v-birmingham.html

Premier League - Match facts: Fulham v Birmingham

All the key facts and stats ahead of the Premier League clash at Craven Cottage.

Fulham are unbeaten in their last three matches at home to Birmingham.

Birmingham have conceded three own goals this season, more than any other Premier League side,
The Whites have picked up only one win from their last 10 league matches.

However City are without a win in their last 12 league games on the road, conceding at least twice in nine of these games.

Only John Obi Mikel has made more passes than Barry Ferguson this season (914).

Roger Johnson has blocked the most shots in the Premier League this season (24).

Fulham are the only team not to have tested the opposition goalkeeper with a direct free kick in the Premier League this season.

Birmingham have conceded the fewest free kicks in the Premier League this season (182).

Alex McLeish's men have attempted the most long passes in the competition this season (1003).

Birmingham have fired in the fewest shots in the Premier League this season (117).
Opta

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/AJ-close-to-regaining-form-says-Baird.aspx

AJ CLOSE TO REGAINING FORM SAYS BAIRD

Fulham Striker Andrew Johnson is close to recovering the form he had before his season-long lay-off, reckons team-mate Chris Baird.

The former England striker is still feeling his way after a frustrating year out of the pictures and arrives at a time when the Whites are desperate to see him flourish.

Having lost Bobby Zamora and now Mousa Dembele to injury, the pressure is on Johnson to make an instant impact, even though he has yet to score after a month on the comeback trail, but Baird is confident the striker will deliver.

"He's going to be vital in the next few weeks, but every day he's getting quicker, sharper - like he used to be," said the defender.

"We need that with Moussa Dembele getting injured, so it's vital that he stays fit along with Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey up front.

"We are really glad to have him back. It gives us that outlet if we're in any trouble and you know what you're going to get from him because it's always 100 per cent."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/25/fulham-utility-man-ready-to-cement-defensive-spot-82029-27710258/?

Fulham utility man ready to cement defensive spot

CHRIS Baird insists his old aversion to playing at right back is a thing of the past - and he is ready to make the spot his own.

The Northern Ireland international, back in the Fulham side against Man City on Sunday after a spell out injured, had a nightmare start in the role after Lawrie Sanchez brought him to the club in July 2007.

He looked like a fish out of water and pined for a central defensive role. Salvation came when Roy Hodgson used him in midfield.

But with right back now seemingly up for grabs - neither Stephen Kelly nor John Pantsil being entrusted by Mark Hughes - Baird can see an opportunity.

"I really feel I can stake a claim to keep the place," he said.

"I feel I've done well in the games I've played there.

"I know it's not been my favourite position. Everyone knows that. The manager knows that too.

"But the more I'm playing there, the more confident I'm getting and hopefully I can hold that position down now.

"I think it's got better through learning more things in training and with different managers - having had Roy Hodgson and now Mark Hughes in charge.

"You learn different things and the more you play, the more you know about a position and hopefully I can nail it down and keep my good form going."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/25/fulham-utility-man-ready-to-cement-defensive-spot-82029-27710258/?#ixzz16HL4NtBd

WhiteJC

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=ro&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcfrmania.gsp.ro%2Fstiri%2F9873%2Flacina-traore-are-sanse-mari-sa-joace-din-iarna-la-finalista-europa-league-din-2010--acord-cu-fulham.htm

Lacina Traore had a good chance to play Champions League finalist in the winter of 2010 "agreement with Fulham

Champion is ready to give a new blow to the transfer market. The British would have to pay 4.5 million euros for the young Ivorian moving to London

Fulham's about to win the battle for the transfer of Lacina Traore. It seems that the London group has reached an agreement with officials of Railways, and the move will be formalized after passing the medical examination will Lacina. Business Traore kept the recipe the most important transfer of Cluj, Alvaro Pereira's failure to FC Porto.
Ivorian British will pay for all 4.5 million and CFR will keep 20 percent of the player's federative rights. Ivorian will play until the end of this year the CFR, after which, if you get through the medical examinations, will join the group led by Mark Hughes, former coach of Manchester City.
Fulham is not a great situation in England. After an outstanding season, 2009-2010, the Londoners have reached the final of the Champions League up 1-2 with Atletico backlash followed. Fulham is in 16th place in the standings with just two wins in 13 games and has one of the worst offensives in the Premier Leauge.

"I've made a goal of selling players instead. But I can not stand in the way the career of a footballer who wants to step up a notch"
Arpad Paszkany

Do not play against Medias
Lacina Traore evolved Olympic squad Wednesday for the Ivory Coast in a friendly match against Morocco's similar representation. Elephants have won 2-1 in the match that took place in Casablanca. Traore has evolved in the second half and produced the penalty from which guests have opened the scoring. Ivorian has not participated in training yesterday and will be spared the Cîrţu for today's game.

Fulham scored 13 goals in 13 games in this championship
Traore managed 6 goals in the current League season 1

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6524809,00.html?

English quartet track Noring
Young ace linked with Premier League switch

Swedish goalkeeper Viktor Noring is attracting interest in England, according to the player's agent.

The Trelleborgs shot-stopper has impressed between the goalposts this season and reports have circulated that the 19-year-old will leave the Swedish club in January.

Fulham have been linked with a move for highly-rated keeper and could move for the Swedish Under 21 performer if Arsenal make a renewed attempt to sign Australia international Mark Schwarzer.

And Noring's agent, Martin Klette, claims four Premier League clubs and a Serie B side have expressed an interest in his client, but refused to name the Cottagers as one of those teams.

"I am now actively working to find a club for Viktor when the January window opens," Klette told Fotbolldirekt.se.

"We don't go public (on who the clubs are). But I can tell you that there are five clubs in England and Italy and that there are top league clubs, except for one that is in Serie B."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/NextUpBirmingham.aspx?

Next One Up

There's more Barclays Premier League action at Craven Cottage this Saturday when Birmingham City are the visitors.

Managed by former Hibernian and Glasgow Rangers boss Alex McLeish who took over midway through the 2007/08 season but was unable to prevent relegation, the Blues bounced back at the first attempt as Championship runners-up to Midlands rivals Wolves, marking their return to the top-flight last season with their highest ever Premier League placing of ninth.

City's start to this season was not dissimilar to our own with six draws in the opening 10 games, the victories coming in home games against Blackburn and Blackpool, whilst a point was taken on the road at Sunderland, Bolton and, most notably, Aston Villa when local bragging rights were shared in a dour goalless draw. A 2-0 home defeat to Everton in October was the first League reverse at St. Andrew's since September 2009, ending a run of 19 home games without defeat.

Last weekend Birmingham caused a major stir with victory over League leaders, Chelsea. McLeish's side will certainly arrive at the Cottage full of confidence on Saturday.

Amongst the club's new faces this season are former Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb and striker Nikola Zigic, a rival to Peter Crouch in the Premier League height stakes. The striker was purchased from Valencia in a £6million deal. The Serbian has three goals to his credit, but at the time of writing it is midfielder Craig Gardner who tops the goal scoring charts with four in all competitions.

The Blues have reached the Quarter-Final stage of the Carling Cup where they will again face local rivals Aston Villa next week having beaten Rochdale, MK Dons and Brentford, all at St Andrew's, our west London neighbours proving a tricky Fourth Round hurdle in a tie that required penalties to settle.

Tickets for this match are still available. Secure your seat today.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/NextUpBirmingham.aspx?#ixzz16HMmuBGZ

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/47303/Fulham_favourites_to_land_Given_in_January.aspx?

Fulham favourites to land Given in January

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is the favourite to land Shay Given in the January transfer window with Arsenal and Manchester United reportedly dropping out of the race to sign the Manchester City number 2.

City are looking to sell a number of players in the transfer window with Emmanuel Adebayor, Wayne Bridge, Jo, and Michael Johnson linked with exit door at Eastlands.

Given, 34, is eager to leave City in order to gain regular first team football however his options see Fulham as the favourites to sign the Republic of Ireland international.

It is unknown whether City would sell to Arsenal or Manchester United, but the Red Devils are on the verge of signing Anders Lindegaard from Aalesund while Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has put faith in Lukasz Fabianski who has shown good form with Polish starlet Wojciech Szczesny signing a long term deal at the club.

Scottish Premier League club Celtic are an option as Given began his career as a youth player at Parkhead and still holds the club in high asteem, however sports bookmakers make Fulham the favourites to land Given.

VICTOR CHANDLER ODDS ON SHAY GIVEN'S NEXT CLUB:

FULHAM – 3/1

ARSENAL – 5/1

MANCHESTER UNITED – 6/1

NEWCASTLE UNITED – 8/1

CHELSEA – 9/1

CELTIC – 10/1

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/11/25/chris-baird-fires-fulham-full-back-warning-64767-27710155/?

Chris Baird fires Fulham full-back warning

CHRIS Baird insists his old aversion to playing at right back is a thing of the past - and he is ready to make the spot his own.

The Northern Ireland international, back in the Fulham side against Man City on Sunday after a spell out injured, had a nightmare start in the role after Lawrie Sanchez brought him to the club in July 2007.

He looked like a fish out of water and pined for a central defensive role. Salvation came when Roy Hodgson used him in midfield.

But with right back now seemingly up for grabs - neither Stephen Kelly nor John Pantsil being entrusted by Mark Hughes - Baird can see an opportunity.

"I really feel I can stake a claim to keep the place," he said.

"I feel I've done well in the games I've played there.

"I know it's not been my favourite position. Everyone knows that. The manager knows that too.

"But the more I'm playing there, the more confident I'm getting and hopefully I can hold that position down now.

"I think it's got better through learning more things in training and with different managers - having had Roy Hodgson and now Mark Hughes in charge.

"You learn different things and the more you play, the more you know about a position and hopefully I can nail it down and keep my good form going."

White Noise

Baird Looks Ahead

Thursday 25th November 2010

Having returned from injury and reclaimed his position at right-back, Chris Baird delivered an honest assessment of last weekend's defeat to Manchester City before stating his determination to get back to winning ways against Birmingham City at the Cottage| this weekend.

"We didn't do the things we were supposed to do against City, which was get in their faces early on and play in their half," Baird told fulhamfc.com. "They're some of the things we didn't do and they took full advantage of that. We were sloppy and it wasn't like us at all.

"We have to move on and hopefully we can turn it around this weekend against Birmingham City. It's a massive game for us and hopefully we can get three points. We're going to give 100% and deliver a much better display.

"It's not nice looking at the League table and seeing us in 17th place but it's still early days. I think we're in a false position – we're a much better Team than we showed last weekend. Me personally, I feel confident that we can climb up into the top half of the table and cement a position there."

Following his return to the starting eleven Baird is now looking to make the right back position his own this season and achieve further success with Fulham in the months ahead.   

"I was tired in the last ten minutes against Manchester City but that's to be expected," Baird explained. "I'm just glad to be back in the Team. I think I've done well in the games I've played. Everyone knows it's not my favourite position but I'm getting the games and the more I play there the more confident I'll get. Hopefully I can nail that position down now and keep my good form going.

"We need to get back to our basics and what we are good at. Our home form over the last couple of seasons has been terrific and I still believe we'll achieve the same level of success this year. We start again Birmingham on Saturday and we'll take it from there."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/BairdPreviewsBirmingham.aspx#ixzz16I9FLsQo

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=1501841.html?rss=1501841+Fulham%27s+Craven+Cottage+to+stage+women%27s+final

Fulham's Craven Cottage to stage women's final
Published: Thursday 25 November 2010, 14.00CET
Craven Cottage, the home of Fulham FC, will be the venue for the UEFA Women's Champions League final on Thursday 26 May 2011, two nights before the men's Wembley decider.

Fulham FC's Craven Cottage will be the venue for the UEFA Women's Champions League final on Thursday 26 May 2011.

The showpiece match is held two nights before the men's UEFA Champions League final in the same city, and with Wembley staging that game, the women's equivalent was set for London. The announcement was made at Wembley today as the event designs for the two finals were revealed.

Containing stands built by famed football architect Archibald Leitch, Craven Cottage is situated in the west of the English capital on the north bank of the River Thames, and has been the home of Fulham since 1896.

In the last few years the number of seats has been increased to more than 25,000 and the ground has recent experience of big continental matches following Fulham's run to the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League final. Previously the club played two UEFA Intertoto Cup games there. Craven Cottage has also hosted a number of neutral international friendly fixtures in recent years.

Craven Cottage follows in the footsteps of Getafe CF's Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, which held the first UEFA Women's Champions League final last season, won by 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam. The holders and London-based Arsenal LFC are among eight teams left in the competition when it resumes with the quarter-finals in March.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/CLFinalAnnouncement.aspx?

Final Announcement

UEFA today announced that Craven Cottage stadium, home to Fulham FC, will host the 2011 UEFA Women's Champions League Final on Thursday 26 May 2011. The women's final takes place two days before the 2011 UEFA Men's Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium.

The announcement was made during the unveiling of the new visual identities, created for this season's UEFA Champions League finals at Wembley Stadium and Craven Cottage, at the launch event at Wembley, in the presence of 2011 UEFA Champions League ambassador Gary Lineker and current England and Arsenal Ladies Captain, Faye White.

Representatives from UEFA, The Football Association, the Greater London Authority, Fulham FC and Wembley Stadium joined Lineker and White at the launch event this morning.

Craven Cottage follows in the footsteps of the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, the home of Getafe CF, which hosted the first-ever UEFA Women's Champions League Final in May 2010.

Alistair Mackintosh, Chief Executive of Fulham Football Club, is looking forward to welcoming the UWCLF to Craven Cottage next year;

'We are delighted to be hosting this season's UEFA Women's Champions League Final at Craven Cottage in May. Last season, the Cottage played host to some of Europe's most famous clubs during our magnificent Europa League campaign, and many prestigious international fixtures have also been played here over recent years. It gives everybody associated with Fulham great pleasure and pride that UEFA has selected our stadium to host this important game.'

Potsdam won the inaugral title in May this year 7-6 against Olympique Lyonnais in an unforgettable penalty shoot-out after a match that remained goal-less throughout 120 minutes of play.

England and Arsenal Captain Faye White is also delighted at the prospect of a London Final;

"It's great news that the women's final is coming to London. We've experienced playing in European Final before and it would be unbelievable to do it again at a stadium like Craven Cottage, infront of a home crowd. We have a bit to do yet to get there but it's a huge incentive for both ourselves and Everton. 2011 is shaping up to be a huge year for women's football with the Final at Fulham, the launch of the WSL and England playing in the World Cup, it's very exciting times for women's football in this country."

The logo design chosen for this year's UEFA Women's Champions League Final reflects continuity in the still young and fresh competition, launched only last season. The final design builds on the current season's look, adding a flavour of the final's host city in the form of the two London lions. As in the men's logo, the rampant lions represent the two finalist teams competing to become the Europe champions.

Arsenal Ladies FC and Everton Ladies FC are both through to the next stage of the women's competition. The Champions League quarter finals will take place in March 2011.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/CLFinalAnnouncement.aspx?#ixzz16IktgTq8

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/9228325.stm

Lawro's prediction

Fulham v Birmingham

Birmingham are very well organised defensively, they put plenty of men behind the ball and can be difficult to break down.

Although Fulham are coming off the back of a heavy defeat against Manchester City last week, Craven Cottage is still a tough place to get a result.

Andy Johnson has yet to score this season following his return from injury, so maybe this is his chance to put that right.
Prediction: 2-1

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/schwarzer-drops-move-hint-1125218.html?

Schwarzer drops move hint

Mark Schwarzer has refused to commit his long-term future to Fulham and appears to still be holding out for a new year move to Arsenal.
The 38-year-old was desperate to join the Gunners in the summer but the Cottagers stood firm and rejected their £2m approach.

However, the Australian hasn't totally given up hope on the deal being resurrected when the transfer window reopens again in January.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes may turn out to out of favour Manchester City keeper Shay Given if he does leave, having brought the Irishman to Eastlands in the first place.

"As to January, I genuinely don't know. What will be will be," Schwarzer said.

"I pushed pretty hard (for Arsenal) in the summer. I am not getting any younger. Any footballer would be crazy not to want to try to explore that opportunity.

"The important thing for me was to get my head clear and get down to some training and playing close to my best again, if not better."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/25/2231476/fulham-defender-chris-baird-we-need-to-get-back-to-basics?

Fulham defender Chris Baird: We need to get back to basics against Birmingham City
Right-back wants his side to climb table

Chris Baird insists Fulham are ready to bounce back against Birmingham City after their 4-1 defeat against Manchester City.

The Northern Irish defender believes his side did not do justice to themselves last Sunday but he wants Mark Hughes' men go back to basics in a bid to turn their fortunes around.

He told the club's official website: "We didn't do the things we were supposed to do against City, which was get in their faces early on and play in their half.

"We were sloppy and it wasn't like us at all.

"We have to move on and hopefully we can turn it around this weekend against Birmingham City.

"It's a massive game for us and hopefully we can get three points. We're going to give 100% and deliver a much better display."

Fulham have not had the best of starts to their league campaign and currently sit just one place above the relegation zone.

But Baird is confident the Cottagers can improve their league position.

He added: "It's not nice looking at the League table and seeing us in 17th place but it's still early days.

"I think we're in a false position – we're a much better Team than we showed last weekend.

"I feel confident that we can climb up into the top half of the table and cement a position there."

The full-back recently returned to the side following an injury but now he is ready to make the right-back spot his own.

He said: "I was tired in the last ten minutes against Manchester City but that's to be expected.

"I'm just glad to be back in the Team. I think I've done well in the games I've played.

"Everyone knows it's not my favourite position but I'm getting the games and the more I play there the more confident I'll get. Hopefully I can nail that position down now and keep my good form going."

Baird added that Mark Hughes' side need to focus on their own game and the results will follow.

He said: "We need to get back to our basics and what we are good at.

"Our home form over the last couple of seasons has been terrific and I still believe we'll achieve the same level of success this year.

"We start again Birmingham on Saturday and we'll take it from there."

HatterDon

suddenly Chris Baird is more popular than a rich girl with a bad reputation.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Quote from: HatterDon on November 25, 2010, 04:40:25 PM
suddenly Chris Baird is more popular than a rich girl with a bad reputation.

I was thinking (more or less) exactly the same thing, very strange