watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Denis Odoi Appreciation Society

Started by Tezer, August 10, 2020, 11:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezer

This member of the Denis Odoi Appreciation Society wishes to express his concern that insufficient credit has been given to his performance in the Play Off final in marking Benrahma out of the game; and insufficient sympathy has been expressed for his very sad face when he was substituted with only minutes to go.

The Rational Fan

Denis Odoi and Benrahma both had pretty anonymous playoff finals and cancelled each other out. I don't know how much praise Odoi should get for Benrahma's poor game, but I guess its a bit. When Benrahma plays his best, he is truly a nignhtmare that would have changed everything.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 10, 2020, 11:59:35 AM
Denis Odoi and Benrahma both had pretty anonymous playoff finals and cancelled each other out. I don't know how much praise Odoi should get for Benrahma's poor game, but I guess its a bit. When Benrahma plays his best, he is truly a nignhtmare that would have changed everything.

There is maybe an important distinction to be made of the difference in key responsibilities between the two players on the day. Clearly Benrahma was supposed to be the creative spark and catalyst for Brentford (because that's what he has been all season long as far as I understand). For Odoi, the most important task was of course to stop Benrahma from contributing as much as possible. One of the two players largely succeeded, whereas the other failed. To describe it as "Denis Odoi and Benrahma both had pretty anonymous playoff finals and cancelled each other out" is in my opinion a massively unfair way of describing the performance of Denis Odoi. Benrahma, arguably the overall best offensive player in the league during the season, was effectively taken out of the game, and that was in very large part thanks to the excellent play of Denis.

It should also be noted that Denis contributed more offensively than Benrahma, even though that was just a bonus for us.

Radiowhite

I do remember Dennis being out of position a couple of times which almost caused dangerous scenarios but nonetheless he had a solid game, not stand out

Sting of the North

Quote from: Tezer on August 10, 2020, 11:26:19 AM
This member of the Denis Odoi Appreciation Society wishes to express his concern that insufficient credit has been given to his performance in the Play Off final in marking Benrahma out of the game; and insufficient sympathy has been expressed for his very sad face when he was substituted with only minutes to go.

:plus one:

S.F.Sorrow

Odoi and Benrahma cancelling each other out means that Odoi probably followed Parker's instructions to perfection. He had a very good game. Benrahma was more or less invisible except on a couple of set pieces.

Odoi deserves all the praise he can get. And not just for the playoff final. The way he stepped up when we desperately needed a CB two seasons ago was simply amazing. He had never played in that position before and he is probably 10-15 cm shorter than the average Championship CB. But he did it.  :Haynes The Maestro:

The goal against Derby will be remembered by Fulham fans forever. And that moment of pure brilliance against Newcastle...  :wow:

We've got a couple of players that probably aren't quite good enough to be regular starters in the PL and sadly Odoi is one of them. But he is so versatile that he can still play an important role as cover for 3 positions. This will certainly cost far less than bringing in three extra CB+RB+LB just for cover. I would definitely give him a new contract and keep him as long as he is physically up for it.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 10, 2020, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: Tezer on August 10, 2020, 11:26:19 AM

+2

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 10, 2020, 12:14:16 PM

There is maybe an important distinction to be made of the difference in key responsibilities between the two players on the day. Clearly Benrahma was supposed to be the creative spark and catalyst for Brentford (because that's what he has been all season long as far as I understand). For Odoi, the most important task was of course to stop Benrahma from contributing as much as possible. One of the two players largely succeeded, whereas the other failed. To describe it as "Denis Odoi and Benrahma both had pretty anonymous playoff finals and cancelled each other out" is in my opinion a massively unfair way of describing the performance of Denis Odoi. Benrahma, arguably the overall best offensive player in the league during the season, was effectively taken out of the game, and that was in very large part thanks to the excellent play of Denis.

It should also be noted that Denis contributed more offensively than Benrahma, even though that was just a bonus for us.

This ^^^

We Are Premier League

"We've got a couple of players that probably aren't quite good enough to be regular starters in the PL and sadly Odoi is one of them. But he is so versatile that he can still play an important role as cover for 3 positions. This will certainly cost far less than bringing in three extra CB+RB+LB just for cover. I would definitely give him a new contract and keep him as long as he is physically up for it."

Holders

It was great to see him on the crossbar at the end, as last time. He got sent off then so hopefully the most recent game will have been a better experience for him.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: We Are Premier League on August 10, 2020, 01:49:41 PM
"We've got a couple of players that probably aren't quite good enough to be regular starters in the PL and sadly Odoi is one of them. But he is so versatile that he can still play an important role as cover for 3 positions. This will certainly cost far less than bringing in three extra CB+RB+LB just for cover. I would definitely give him a new contract and keep him as long as he is physically up for it."

Definitely. I think of him in a similar way to Baird.

HV71

Quote from: We Are Premier League on August 10, 2020, 01:49:41 PM

This is so spot on . King Denis is , in his very own way, our version of James Milner.
Long live the King !

filham

Yes, I will add my name to the Odoi appreciation society he has done well for us again this season and in the final.

The Brentford front theee with 60 goals over the season shared among the three players were supposed to be too hot for us to handle. We held them to 0-0 over 90 minute, yes Hector was great and Reed did a good job in front of the back four. but with that score our defense must have been without a weakness.

I am just waiting for someone to acknowledge how good Ream was in the final and in each of the critical post Lockdown matches.

LittleErn

I'm an admirer of Odoi for all the reasons given above, but most of all for his attitude and professionalism. His best other asset is his mobility which will probably diminish as he gets older but which we need as cover in our defence at times. He should remain an excellent utility player in our squad.

Twig

A real team player who, contrary to what TRF says, had a terrific game. He cancelled Benrahma out and that is precisely what he was there to do. Nothing "anonymous" about that.

Holders

For some reason Stan Brown keeps coming to mind in terms of flexibility and unassuming team play.

Lyle from Hangeland

MikeTheCubed

Benrahma appeared to play long stretches of the game in a very deep position (almost as a deep lying playmaker) as opposed to attacking midfield which I haven't noticed when watching Brentford before.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 10, 2020, 01:31:51 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on August 10, 2020, 12:14:16 PM

This ^^^

So well written, if you judge Benrahma by the media's love affair with him before the game, then the playoff final was going to be won by Benrahma. In truth, Benrahma, when marked by Odoi, didn't look as good as Floyd Atyie (a decent winger plagued by injuries). If Benrahma is as good as the media think, then Odoi has deserves man of the match in the playoff final for very marginally outplaying him. Personally, i'd give man of the match to Bryan, because I think Benrahma was poor and that's only partial because of Odoi. Although, we should be giving Odoi a new contract, we need someone to keep Mane and Sterling quite and doubt we can afford a squad player better at that than Odoi.

Kimbleman

Dennis is quite simply class....a true professional. I love the guy and would be gutted if he doesn't get a new contract.