News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


Fantastic article on corruption in football i've only just come across

Started by southwest6, August 27, 2020, 11:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southwest6

Was published last year by The New Yorker and is a fairly long read but well worth it.

Thought i'd share it here as it really is thought-provoking.

''How Football Leaks Is Exposing Corruption in European Soccer''
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/03/how-football-leaks-is-exposing-corruption-in-european-soccer

ByTheRiver

I've not read the article but the title reminded me of batsh*t Craig Klein and those dark days. When he was posting all kinds of conspiracy stuff on Twitter and Voy. Lordy.

Apologies for the highjack. Will read this over lunch.

southwest6

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 27, 2020, 12:05:51 PM
I've not read the article but the title reminded me of batsh*t Craig Klein and those dark days. When he was posting all kinds of conspiracy stuff on Twitter and Voy. Lordy.

Apologies for the highjack. Will read this over lunch.

Gosh had completely forgotten about Kline... Dark days indeed!


sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

rebel


The Rational Fan

Most of what is called corruption is illegal getting around the new FFP rules imposed on European clubs under British (or EU) law with Russian and Asian owners providing addition money that was earnt outside Europe to buy African and South American players. If they get rid of FFP and corruption will reduce significantly and every other method to eliminate corruption seems futile.


Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 03:38:28 AM
Most of what is called corruption is illegal getting around the new FFP rules imposed on European clubs under British (or EU) law with Russian and Asian owners providing addition money that was earnt outside Europe to buy African and South American players. If they get rid of FFP and corruption will reduce significantly and every other method to eliminate corruption seems futile.

Have you read the article?
I can sympathise if you haven't because it's far too long and not very interesting, but it's about much more than FFP.
Think tax evasion, money laundering, bribery etc - actual criminal activity
Plus a lot on third-party ownership which, like cheating FFP, isn't criminal but nonetheless, is a major facet of the problem