watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alphonse Areola

Started by 7787fulham, September 07, 2020, 11:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7787fulham

Fulham interested in PSG keeper Areola on loan. I would prefer him to Gazzaniga.

fawazco

A goalkeeper of his level is normal and does not rise to the ambition of the fans

H4usuallysitting

I've never heard of him...give him a 10 year contract

The Rock

Only if he can be converted to CB, then good biz.

Fernhurst

Wow if this rumour is true I'm not sure how we would keep him out of the first team.

What's the twist...... Is he injured??
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Rational Fan

We have three excellent keepers and one excellent centre back, the only reason to get a new keeper is if one of the keepers isn't at peak condition, which maybe true for Betts or Fabri. We don't want to start the same way as last season with CBs forcing the goalkeeper making 11 saves in the first game and a couple of mistakes. 

Fernhurst

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 08, 2020, 01:09:36 AM
We have three excellent keepers and one excellent centre back, the only reason to get a new keeper is if one of the keepers isn't at peak condition, which maybe true for Betts or Fabri.

V. Strong rumour this evening Betts off to Middlesbrough in the morning.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 08, 2020, 01:15:11 AM
We have three excellent keepers and one excellent centre back, the only reason to get a new keeper is if one of the keepers isn't at peak condition, which maybe true for Betts or Fabri.

Fine a good keeper leaves and marginally better keeper arrives to fight Fabri for a place on the bench. Probably a good move, but Betts is no mug and better than some other backup keepers.

7787fulham

Areola was on loan at Real Madrid for the 19/20 season and if Betts goes then I think he would be a better player than Fabri.

Deeping_white

We have three excellent keepers and one excellent centre back, the only reason to get a new keeper is if one of the keepers isn't at peak condition, which maybe true for Betts or Fabri. We don't want to start the same way as last season with CBs forcing the goalkeeper making 11 saves in the first game and a couple of mistakes. 

We have one potentially excellent keeper, one bang average Championship keeper and one keeper who had two games at this level and got dropped last time around because people wanted the bang average championship people in goal instead?

FFC1987

Quote from: @jolslover on September 08, 2020, 08:50:38 AM
haha I am seeing people say he would come to be back up

The man was back up at Real Madrid last season, PSGs number 1 keeper for years and back up to Lloris with the French national team

He is a top top keeper, would be a great signing and would not (imo) come to be Rodaks back up

I get the sentiment, but he doesn't just walk into the side either without earning it. Rodak was one of the top performing players last  year and is our current no.1. A guy who has barely played in the last few years, doesn't just walk into sides.

Rodak is a class GK, I don't doubt, as is Areola but if we sign, he doesn't walk in.

grandad

I wonder if he will want to wear a Nipple Pink shirt?
Where there's a will there's a wife

Stoneleigh Loyalist

If Betts wants more playing time we owe him that right for his loyalty to the club. Areola has not played much first team football lately but does have experience. Goalkeepers can gain or lose form and sometimes there is a very fine line between their success and failure. Fabri is a write off and we can only get what we can for him to get him off our books. I wonder what the comparative loan fees and wages will be for Betts and Areola?
Having said all of this Rodak must be our first choice Until there is any reason to drop him.

ByTheRiver

He's 6 5", do you think we can play him at CB...?

@jolslover

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 08, 2020, 08:57:50 AM

The man was back up at Real Madrid last season, PSGs number 1 keeper for years and back up to Lloris with the French national team

He is a top top keeper, would be a great signing and would not (imo) come to be Rodaks back up

I get the sentiment, but he doesn't just walk into the side either without earning it. Rodak was one of the top performing players last  year and is our current no.1. A guy who has barely played in the last few years, doesn't just walk into sides.

Rodak is a class GK, I don't doubt, as is Areola but if we sign, he doesn't walk in.

I think our fans are being too sentimental with Marek. He's never played top level football. One good season in The Championship doesn't make him a world beater. Players improve with competition for places and Areola would be much more competition than Bettinelli would. That's without even considering everything that Rodak would learn from training every day with a keeper of Areolas quality
STH H3

FFC1987

Quote from: @jolslover on September 08, 2020, 09:22:33 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 08, 2020, 08:57:50 AM

I think our fans are being too sentimental with Marek. He's never played top level football. One good season in The Championship doesn't make him a world beater. Players improve with competition for places and Areola would be much more competition than Bettinelli would. That's without even considering everything that Rodak would learn from training every day with a keeper of Areolas quality

As I mentioned in other thread, I'm on board, I just don't see this transfer as a guy that walks into no.1 spot. But do agree that it'll only help Rodak.

Enigma

Quote from: @jolslover on September 08, 2020, 09:22:33 AM

Areola is better than Marek, however replacing the keeper is one of our last priorities for improving the starting XI. Of our most common starting XI from last season the only position in less need of a new starter is CF (although we do need a backup). If we chop and change then it'll be a repeat of the 2018/19 season.

Saying that we do need competition and a decent backup, e.g. Gazzaniga

Bronaldinho

IMHO,

Rodak's been our best goalkeeper since Schwarzer.

He's commanding, he's brave and not afraid to shout instructions, which other goalkeepers have been heavily criticised for. You also have to note that Rodak has been playing with the defence (albeit not the best) for 6 months or more. Finding those connections and building relationships with your defenders is vital. That's why him and Hector have been great, they are both vocal and help organise the side through transitions and positioning.

If we do bring in a keeper like Areola, it's going to be serious competition for him. Either he rises to the challenge of having such a prestigious talent come to the club to fight for his shirt, and Rodak gets better.

Or he gets annoyed and feels like Parker loses some faith in him.

Rodak is a future top keeper for an elite club for sure. He's only 23 and going to get better - deserves all the backing from our club to elevate him further.

Also you have Rodak learning from the best goalkeeper at international level too in Oblak.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

junior white

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 08, 2020, 01:19:10 AM
Quote from: Fernhurst on September 08, 2020, 01:15:11 AM

Fine a good keeper leaves and marginally better keeper arrives to fight Fabri for a place on the bench. Probably a good move, but Betts is no mug and better than some other backup keepers.
Rumour is Fabri is off to Turkey somewhere.

For me we needed a keeper to push Rodak, neither of those we had would have dine that in my opinion so I am happy to bring in a decent back up

KeenCottager

Quote from: Bronaldinho on September 08, 2020, 09:40:20 AM
IMHO,

Rodak's been our best goalkeeper since Schwarzer.

He's commanding, he's brave and not afraid to shout instructions, which other goalkeepers have been heavily criticised for. You also have to note that Rodak has been playing with the defence (albeit not the best) for 6 months or more. Finding those connections and building relationships with your defenders is vital. That's why him and Hector have been great, they are both vocal and help organise the side through transitions and positioning.

If we do bring in a keeper like Areola, it's going to be serious competition for him. Either he rises to the challenge of having such a prestigious talent come to the club to fight for his shirt, and Rodak gets better.

Or he gets annoyed and feels like Parker loses some faith in him.

Rodak is a future top keeper for an elite club for sure. He's only 23 and going to get better - deserves all the backing from our club to elevate him further.

Also you have Rodak learning from the best goalkeeper at international level too in Oblak.

Oblak plays for Slovenia - not Slovakia