watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLM

Started by ByTheRiver, September 17, 2020, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Now, I expect this is down to the pure desperation of the CB situation and I appreciate it was only Ipswich, but did he look a bit better last night? Left footed LCB, can pass the ball a bit, little bit more pace than Ream, sounds a bit like our shopping list?

Tell me I've gone completely mad from F5ing the forum too much looking for the mere mention of a CB, and I have abandoned all sense of logic and reason, in the seemingly fruitless search for a defensive saviour?

fulhamfever

MLM needs game time he has been in and out of the squad.
Anyone with half a brain needs to know if a player needs confidence it's only through game time you can't keep dropping him without him finding consistency or rhythm.

Deeping_white

I thought he was good on the ball, but then that's always been his main strength so it didn't surprise me. Had an oops moment but then we also know he has that in him. Noticed he struggled at times with the physicality of Ipswich's striker at times in the first half, although in the PL there aren't too many cloggers he'd have to deal with via route one football. Don't think he's the answer long term but maybe in some games with a bit of confidence he might be able to get through - he's certainly got to be a CB rather than LB at this level as he's not quick enough as a wide defender

ByTheRiver

Quote from: fulhamfever on September 17, 2020, 10:57:20 AM
MLM needs game time he has been in and out of the squad.
Anyone with half a brain needs to know if a player needs confidence it's only through game time you can't keep dropping him without him finding consistency or rhythm.

Yes, obviously, but does he come in to partner Hector?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 17, 2020, 11:00:06 AM
I thought he was good on the ball, but then that's always been his main strength so it didn't surprise me. Had an oops moment but then we also know he has that in him. Noticed he struggled at times with the physicality of Ipswich's striker at times in the first half, although in the PL there aren't too many cloggers he'd have to deal with via route one football. Don't think he's the answer long term but maybe in some games with a bit of confidence he might be able to get through - he's certainly got to be a CB rather than LB at this level as he's not quick enough as a wide defender

Absolutely agree he's not a LB. Not here anyway. And totally agree about the physicality and that he wouldn't face a huge amount in the PL. Hmm. Could he be a potential starter until a better option is brought in? Now he has time to settle in,  he might have more to offer than we had all come to think? After all, he was brought on late in games as the additional CB last season too and we didn't concede a goal.

Maybe there is a route back for him like (but obviously on a different level!) Anguissa?

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I don't want to be overly harsh but if Le Marchand is Hector's regular partner we'll be rivalling our Premier League points tally from two years ago.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on September 17, 2020, 11:08:15 AM
I don't want to be overly harsh but if Le Marchand is Hector's regular partner we'll be rivalling our Premier League points tally from two years ago.

Yes, maybe, this is what I was struggling with. Could it work or am I looking for things that aren't there. This is the situation TK has left us in leaving it this late for a CB.

Personally though, in the PL at least, I'd start him or even Odoi above Ream with Hector as believe me, we will be rivalling Derby's tally if we don't change that!

bencher

In a word, no. MLM can pick a pass and is generally ok with the ball at his feet but he's not a very good defender. This idea that the PL is somehow less physical is nonsense. There's plenty of physical strikers, they just also have the technical side which the lower league strikers don't have. e.g. Harry Kane. He doesn't win headers and doesn't like the physical battle. But he also is made to look poor by clever movement and good skills. So, quite simply, he's not good enough at PL level as a CB. A bit like Calum Chambers, he probably good become an ok makeshift CDM, but not what we need right now.

Statto

Let's be honest, choosing between MLM and Ream is like choosing a kick in the nuts or punch in the face

fulhamfever

Confidence breeds confidence MLM has the ability just go for it we have Leeds and Villa next

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on September 17, 2020, 12:32:11 PM
Let's be honest, choosing between MLM and Ream is like choosing a kick in the nuts or punch in the face

:005:

ByTheRiver

Quote from: bencher on September 17, 2020, 12:28:59 PM
In a word, no. MLM can pick a pass and is generally ok with the ball at his feet but he's not a very good defender. This idea that the PL is somehow less physical is nonsense. There's plenty of physical strikers, they just also have the technical side which the lower league strikers don't have. e.g. Harry Kane. He doesn't win headers and doesn't like the physical battle. But he also is made to look poor by clever movement and good skills. So, quite simply, he's not good enough at PL level as a CB. A bit like Calum Chambers, he probably good become an ok makeshift CDM, but not what we need right now.

Fair.

rebel

We'll he's always got us fans to give him confidence. It must be annoying playing the odd 4 / 5 minutes at the end of matches.

To be honest 'he's just got on with it'. If / when Seri makes tracks, I think MLM will follow. I think his English was a issue when he first signed.

Andy S

MLM is nowhere near as bad as people on here paint him. I think it is just the bully boy tactics that plagues the internet

Bassey the warrior

He passed the ball very well, I didn't realise he had the cross field pass in his locker. I think that could be useful and Ream never does that.

Still not sure who's better at defending though and wouldn't want either to be starting.

bencher

Quote from: Andy S on September 17, 2020, 01:08:44 PM
MLM is nowhere near as bad as people on here paint him. I think it is just the bully boy tactics that plagues the internet

It's all relative isn't it. Obviously he is not pub team bad. He's made a career for himself as a professional footballer at a high level, but he's not well suited to English football. I don't think he was regarded as one of the better Ligue 1 centre backs, but he looks worse over here. We need someone that can stand up to the battle against quick witted, fleet of foot and aggressive strikers, and he's just not that guy. I'm happy to keep him as a back up at around 4th choice.

RoyTund

The opinions that swing drastically on one game. We've seen enough over what 20 pl games to know mlm isn't up to prem quality. He also did not impress when he turned out in the championship. Could he suddenly improve and make it. Maybe but we can't really afford to find out the answer is still no.

Stef 73

We need to play all 3 in a back 5 I think

Stef 73

Areola
                  Ream Hector mlm
Tete                      Reed                robinson
             Anguissa         lamina
                           Cairney
                              Mitro

ByTheRiver

Quote from: RoyTund on September 17, 2020, 02:03:09 PM
The opinions that swing drastically on one game. We've seen enough over what 20 pl games to know mlm isn't up to prem quality. He also did not impress when he turned out in the championship. Could he suddenly improve and make it. Maybe but we can't really afford to find out the answer is still no.

You could have typed the same about Ream. Hence these desperate thoughts. Really, a couple of CBs should have been brought in by now, but hey-ho...