Started by 3-lions, September 22, 2020, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:08:15 AM
Quote from: blingo on September 22, 2020, 08:04:20 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
Quote from: blingo on September 22, 2020, 07:52:04 AM
Roberto Carlos
was really known for his defending, he used to play higher up the pitch than most strikers

One of the if not the best defenders Brazil has ever had.

If you want a better defender than Roberto Carlos, then Tony Khan or any other DOF will disappoint you.

Yes your right Tony Khan has disappointed me as long as I can remember. I am not sure you should be calling him a D of F either, as surely that breaches the 1968 trade description act. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

blingo

Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 08:08:24 AM
Quote from: blingo on September 22, 2020, 08:04:20 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
Quote from: blingo on September 22, 2020, 07:52:04 AM
Roberto Carlos
was really known for his defending, he used to play higher up the pitch than most strikers

One of the if not the best defenders Brazil has ever had.
yes, because of his attacking ability 😉

Watch some of Barcas games

Huxley

Breno was on fire at Bayern. No wait,  that was his rented house... had so much potential but home sickness did not help his mental health.

rebel

I can't wait until he meets the rest of the defence, what could go wrong?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2020, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:04:35 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2020, 07:58:51 AM
For a Centre Back the bloke is not very tall for his height.

Do not fear, we have three quality keepers and no centre-backs, so Fabri is surely retraining as a centre-back.

But I do fear as Fabri is even shorter and could not head a bus queue, and who is the 3 quality keepers, because I can only think of two.

Are we improving by bringing in new goalkeepers?

• Fabri's game vs Crystal Palace had 10 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 2 goals (i.e 80% save rate)
  • Fabri's game vs Tottenham had 11 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 3 goals (i.e 73% save rate)
  • Rodak's game vs Arsenal had 6 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 3 goals (i.e 50% save rate)
  • Areola's game vs Leeds had 7 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 4 goals (i.e 42% save rate)

First Two Games in 2018 - 21 shots-on-target, 16 saves and 5 goals (i.e 76% save rate)
First Two Games in 2020 - 13 shots-on-target, 6 saves and 7 goals (i.e 46% save rate)

We save 76% of shots in the first two game, then the scores vs Arsenal 0-2 loss and Leeds 3-2 win.

rebel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:20:38 AM

Do not fear, we have three quality keepers and no centre-backs, so Fabri is surely retraining as a centre-back.

But I do fear as Fabri is even shorter and could not head a bus queue, and who is the 3 quality keepers, because I can only think of two.

Are we improving by brining in new goalkeepers?

• Fabri's game vs Crystal Palace had 10 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 2 goals (i.e 80% save rate)
  • Fabri's game vs Tottenham had 11 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 3 goals (i.e 73% save rate)
  • Rodak's game vs Arsenal had 6 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 3 goals (i.e 50% save rate)
  • Areola's game vs Leeds had 7 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 4 goals (i.e 42% save rate)

Does those stats have a context?

grandad

Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:30:06 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Brazilian defender that can actually defend, I%u2019m struggling to think of one.
Not seen many Brazil matches then have you.
How about Aldair, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Cafu, Djalma Santos, just for starters
Where there's a will there's a wife

bencher

I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: rebel on September 22, 2020, 08:25:09 AM

Are we improving by brining in new goalkeepers?

Does those stats have a context?

Fabri has conceeded less than a goal per game in his last 70 games, doesn't have context either but it counts for something. If we keep bringing in new goalkeepers, its not surprising we don't have money for centre-backs. Fabri made two terrible mistakes leading to goals and that runied his career, but even in those games his save ratio was high. Our centre-backs can make a mistake every game and get another chance, what is going on?

Southdowns White

My only worry is he's not played more than 24 games in any single season, last year 23 and the season before 18. Alarm Bells should be  ringing somewhere.

bencher

First Two Games in 2018 - 21 shots-on-target, 16 saves and 5 goals (i.e 76% save rate)
First Two Games in 2020 - 13 shots-on-target, 6 saves and 7 goals (i.e 46% save rate)

We save 76% of shots in the first two game, then the scores vs Arsenal 0-2 loss and Leeds 3-2 win.

That's all well and good, but there's a huge difference between a fierce shot into the top corner and a weak shot straight at the goalkeeper. You can only use that kind of statistical comparison of shot to save ratio over a much larger data sample. I don't think anyone has criticised Areola for any of the goals he conceded. Whereas if I take the example of Crystal Palace's second goal in the first game of 2018, Fabri ran out of goal completely ineffectively and was easily rounded by Zaha.

bencher

Quote from: Southdowns White on September 22, 2020, 08:33:22 AM
My only worry is he's not played more than 24 games in any single season, last year 23 and the season before 18. Alarm Bells should be  ringing somewhere.

If he only plays 23 games but we keep clean sheets in each one I'll be quite happy

SuffolkWhite

Didn't our last Brazilian play well for us eventually, Bairdinho  :Get Coat gif:
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Sting of the North

First Two Games in 2018 - 21 shots-on-target, 16 saves and 5 goals
First Two Games in 2020 - 13 shots-on-target, 6 saves and 7 goals

Save rate is a horribly bad stat in football. Even more so where you take samples of just a few select  games (so few by the way, that you could have easily looked at all the actual goals for some context). This says next to nothing.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:35:23 AM

That's all well and good, but there's a huge difference between a fierce shot into the top corner and a weak shot straight at the goalkeeper. You can only use that kind of statistical comparison of shot to save ratio over a much larger data sample. I don't think anyone has criticised Areola for any of the goals he conceded. Whereas if I take the example of Crystal Palace's second goal in the first game of 2018, Fabri ran out of goal completely ineffectively and was easily rounded by Zaha.

Areola hasn't made a worse mistake than Fabri and Areola is a better keeper too; but Hector, Mawson, MLM, Odoi and Ream have made numerous worse mistakes than Fabri, yet we pull the chequebook out for new keepers and then don't have money for centre-backs.

Whenever we write one player off like Fabri and sign a replacement, we delay the replacement of another player like Ream at centre-back. Fabri and Hector are about the same standard, yet one is our third choice goalkeeper and the other is our best centre back by far.

RaySmith

Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:29:21 AM
I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.

Good post - Banford left Odoi for dead, he couldn't get near him for pace, for one their goals, and the Arsenal and Leeds forwards generally  outpaced our defenders.

Deeping_white

Aaron Hughes wasn't exactly tall and he's one of the best we've had in recent times, same can be said of Alain Goma

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:39:42 AM
Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:35:23 AM

Areola hasn't made a worse mistake than Fabri and Areola is a better keeper too; but Hector, Mawson, MLM, Odoi and Ream have made numerous worse mistakes than Fabri, yet we pull the chequebook out for new keepers and then don't have money for centre-backs.

Do we? Admittedly we strangely bought 2 keepers last time around, but we also brought in 2 centre backs (1 which made a much larger dent in the chequebook than any of the keepers). Last year we brought in no keepers and 1 centre back. This year we have brought in 1 keeper, and probably will bring in at least 1 centre back since the window is not closed. Can't really see what you are trying to argue here.

If your argument is that Fabri was unfairly criticized, then I agree. Anyone that actually saw his performances and put them into context should know that he never got a real chance, so I would just ignore his critics by now since that discussion has been had to death for about two years running.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 22, 2020, 08:46:31 AM

Aaron Hughes wasn't exactly tall and he's one of the best we've had in recent times, same can be said of Alain Goma

Same can be said of loads of excellent centre backs over the years and most people know it, just that a few are stuck on repeat.

General

Whether we like them or rate them there have been a lot that have made the grade in various top European leagues to an acceptable level.

David Luiz is seen as error prone but realistically of he makes two mistakes in a season and does well presented averagely for the rest of the season then you've got to deal with it as a newly promoted club.

I really hope, although not convinced, that Marlon does well. I'm not 100% sure that he looks like the disciplined CB we need though. That said Hector didn't either in the last game. Still crying out for a LCB.