more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Marlon to Fulham deal confirmed .BUT

Started by 3-lions, September 22, 2020, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caedal

Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:29:21 AM
I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.

This is 100% true. Especially the part about Fredricks saving us goals multiple times during that promotion season. What we also need to get better at is not leaving huge gaps when the full backs get forward. One of the midfielders needs to read the danger and slot into that position. You see Kante doing this all the time for Chelsea/Leicester

General

Quote from: Caedal on September 22, 2020, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:29:21 AM
I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.

This is 100% true. Especially the part about Fredricks saving us goals multiple times during that promotion season. What we also need to get better at is not leaving huge gaps when the full backs get forward. One of the midfielders needs to read the danger and slot into that position. You see Kante doing this all the time for Chelsea/Leicester

Do you think we would have stayed up if we had kept freddo?

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 22, 2020, 07:32:26 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:30:06 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Brazilian defender that can actually defend, I'm struggling to think of one.

You've got a point there Ben.
I'm struggling to think of one.🤔

Dante
Lucio
Luisao
Thiago Silva
Maicon
Dani Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Aldair
Marquinhos
Roberto Carlos
Naldo

Gilberto Silva is a prime example of a hard-hitting Brazillian. Captained Arsenal and was the most disciplined CDMs the Premier League has ever seen. In his older years he moved to a CB too.

Just a few that spring to mind.

They've had some damn good ones over the year, but it's just their attacking talent that gets the credit due to the icons they've had
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

hongkongfulham

Quote from: Bronaldinho on September 22, 2020, 12:30:30 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Brazilian defender that can actually defend, I'm struggling to think of one.

Dante
Lucio
Luisao
Thiago Silva
Maicon
Dani Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Aldair
Marquinhos
Roberto Carlos
Naldo

Gilberto Silva is a prime example of a hard-hitting Brazillian. Captained Arsenal and was the most disciplined CDMs the Premier League has ever seen. In his older years he moved to a CB too.

They've had some damn good ones over the year, but it's just their attacking talent that gets the credit due to the icons they've had

Dunga! My hero

Nero

Odoi may have pace but he cant defend look at the goal where Bamford skins him he runs up to and stop and try to jockey him while Bamford is on the move therefore Bamford gets a 2 yard head start when he should have been taking out. Red light moment as SP calls it time to commit the tactical foul

Mince n Tatties

Dante
Lucio
Luisao
Thiago Silva
Maicon
Dani Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Aldair
Marquinhos
Roberto Carlos
Naldo

I think the point Ben was making,was to do with Brazilians in our Premier.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Cravenette on September 22, 2020, 10:36:23 AM
I just got round to watching Marlon's Youtube showcase; looks a very strong, fast CB with good positioning but he is definitely right footed and seems to play on the right of the CB pair.  Is he cover or a replacement for Hec?  Or are we going to play him on the left?
Big Hec played on the left at HULL.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

vancouver

To the people mentioning that he wasnt playing a ton for Sassuolo it was due to a clause in his contract.

Sassuolo is a selling club, Barca had a clause where if he played 50 games it would trigger a 6M euro additional fee to barca. It was always their intention to showcase him and sell him before that 50 game threshold. 

General

Quote from: hongkongfulham on September 22, 2020, 01:28:14 PM

Dante
Lucio
Luisao
Thiago Silva
Maicon
Dani Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Aldair
Marquinhos
Roberto Carlos
Naldo

Dunga! My hero

and whether we like it or not it doesn't even include David Luiz.

Belletti also played RB

Danilo - Man City

Bernardo at Brighton

Filipe Luis - Chelsea

Gabriel who played for Arsenal and scored this season

Gabriel Paulista who played for Arsenal as a CB and now plays for Valencia

Wolves new signing Marcal..

etc etc,...