Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:39:42 AM
Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:35:23 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:20:38 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2020, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2020, 08:04:35 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2020, 07:58:51 AM
For a Centre Back the bloke is not very tall for his height.

Do not fear, we have three quality keepers and no centre-backs, so Fabri is surely retraining as a centre-back.

But I do fear as Fabri is even shorter and could not head a bus queue, and who is the 3 quality keepers, because I can only think of two.

Are we improving by bringing in new goalkeepers?

• Fabri's game vs Crystal Palace had 10 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 2 goals (i.e 80% save rate)
  • Fabri's game vs Tottenham had 11 shots-on-target, 8 saves and 3 goals (i.e 73% save rate)
  • Rodak's game vs Arsenal had 6 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 3 goals (i.e 50% save rate)
  • Areola's game vs Leeds had 7 shots-on-target, 3 saves and 4 goals (i.e 42% save rate)

First Two Games in 2018 - 21 shots-on-target, 16 saves and 5 goals (i.e 76% save rate)
First Two Games in 2020 - 13 shots-on-target, 6 saves and 7 goals (i.e 46% save rate)

We save 76% of shots in the first two game, then the scores vs Arsenal 0-2 loss and Leeds 3-2 win.

That's all well and good, but there's a huge difference between a fierce shot into the top corner and a weak shot straight at the goalkeeper. You can only use that kind of statistical comparison of shot to save ratio over a much larger data sample. I don't think anyone has criticised Areola for any of the goals he conceded. Whereas if I take the example of Crystal Palace's second goal in the first game of 2018, Fabri ran out of goal completely ineffectively and was easily rounded by Zaha.

Areola hasn't made a worse mistake than Fabri and Areola is a better keeper too; but Hector, Mawson, MLM, Odoi and Ream have made numerous worse mistakes than Fabri, yet we pull the chequebook out for new keepers and then don't have money for centre-backs.

Whenever we write one player off like Fabri and sign a replacement, we delay the replacement of another player like Ream at centre-back. Fabri and Hector are about the same standard, yet one is our third choice goalkeeper and the other is our best centre back by far.

Again, to me it seems like you keep making things up. You have no idea if the transfer for Areola in any way impacts neither the timing nor the funding regarding any potential centre backs. There is no reason that our recruitment department cannot work on more than one deal at the same time, so why on earth would you believe that to be the case? There is also no reason to believe that we are short on funds, given how little we have spent so far (especially coupled with TKs ability to get funding from his dad).

Or, to be clear:

- Do you believe that we can only work on one deal at a time?
- Do you believe that we have spent most of the money we had potentially available on Areola?

SuffolkWhite

If Marlon signs, all we can do is wait with baited breath to see how he performs.

I just hope us fickle fans don't go down the Baird road of criticism, all the new signings will need time.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

fulhamfever

SYLVINHO - ARSENAL & MANCHESTER CITY
ALEX - CHELSEA

twang

Don't know anything about Marlon but he's probably a decent defender. What baffles me though is that if the club were to make a signing like this (Brazilian central defender playing in Italy) then surely it had to be made about a month ago to give the player a chance of bedding in before the season starts.

Sting of the North

Quote from: twang on September 22, 2020, 09:10:08 AM
Don't know anything about Marlon but he's probably a decent defender. What baffles me though is that if the club were to make a signing like this (Brazilian central defender playing in Italy) then surely it had to be made about a month ago to give the player a chance of bedding in before the season starts.

Maybe he was not on top pf pur list and we worked on other targets that for various reasons did not pan out? Or we have worked on this for a while, but the selling club or the player had doubts and we needed to work on that?

Jim©

Quote from: bencher on September 22, 2020, 08:29:21 AM
I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace.

Whilst I do agree with that, it's decision making that really makes a CB stand out. It's what Hector is lacking at the moment and what some of our worst CBs over the years have completely lacked.

Slaphead in Qatar

I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.

This post is far too sensible and thought out for this forum

Stevieboy

So much talk about how long deals take to complete but with our vague media is it surprising.
Are we actually in for who the press think we should be in for?
Endless re reporting of same interest whether concrete or not.
Would anyone on this board swap their job in days, albeit for more money, probably uprooting whole family to move to a strange country?
We are hardly the most attractive option...at the moment.
We don't know how long deals for the 'Big 6' have taken to complete although the haggling over fees probably not such an issue.
Look how long it's taking to sort  out the Harvey Eliott fiasco !
In the good old days we sometimes knew nothing of a transfer until he ran out on a Saturday afternoon !!

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Bill2

I know a lot of posters really want us to sign an old-fashioned big ugly CB of at least 6ft4 that will dominate in aerial battles, but I think our real issue at the back is lack of pace, especially recovery pace. Because we play possession football with a high line, recovery pace is one of the most important assets for our defenders. How many times did Freddo use his searing pace to get us out of trouble? We haven't had any central defenders with genuine pace for years. The Leeds game was a great example; the third and fourth goals were both scored because we got caught out of position and couldn't recover in time. Some might say we shouldn't get caught out of position, but when we play out from the back etc, you need your defenders to be able to participate in movements and creating angles. We also have no width to our play unless the fullbacks get involved higher up the pitch. Bamford, who's no slouch but not regarded as a speed merchant, got away from Hector and Odoi far too easily in the inside left channel. Modern CBs need to be athletes, and from the limited footage of Marlon that I've seen, he's got an athleticism about him. He looks to be a good jumper, capable with the ball, but also has that recovery pace that we sorely lack. Obviously time will tell (if he indeed does sign) if he can bring something extra to the defence.
I am in a state of shock, this is a very factual concise explanation. Enjoyed reading it instead of the doom and gloom posts we sometimes see.

The Cravenette

I just got round to watching Marlon's Youtube showcase; looks a very strong, fast CB with good positioning but he is definitely right footed and seems to play on the right of the CB pair.  Is he cover or a replacement for Hec?  Or are we going to play him on the left?

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: grandad on September 22, 2020, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:30:06 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Brazilian defender that can actually defend, I%u2019m struggling to think of one.
Not seen many Brazil matches then have you.
How about Aldair, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Cafu, Djalma Santos, just for starters
Add Miranda, Dante, Maicon, Marcelo, Luisão and Marquinhos to that list.

I Ronic

Quote from: The Cravenette on September 22, 2020, 10:36:23 AM
I just got round to watching Marlon's Youtube showcase; looks a very strong, fast CB with good positioning but he is definitely right footed and seems to play on the right of the CB pair.  Is he cover or a replacement for Hec?  Or are we going to play him on the left?

Part of a back three?

Neutral Zone Ultra

Very good post. The Premier League is a league where pace is critical both in defence and attack, and we really lack fast players in our squad. So personally I'm very happy with us signing Marlon.

Lighthouse

Let me be the first to say that Marlon will join the long list of defenders who are not up to the mark when it comes to defending.

I have no real idea but as we have tried so many central defenders and all have failed bar one or two. I guess it is best to be cautious before hoping too much.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RoyTund

I really hope this obsession with left footers isn't the reason we have struggled to sign CBs. We need competent ones, regardless of foot. All 3 Brighton centre backs that played vs Newcastle are right footed. Webster has been a great value signing from Bristol city.

copthornemike

Quote from: fulhamben on September 22, 2020, 07:30:06 AM
Has anyone ever seen a Brazilian defender that can actually defend, I'm struggling to think of one.
Would have been quite happy with the Brazilian CB Arsenal had the other week! Like so much of life only time will tell - before Hangeland how many Norwegian CBs could we have named?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 22, 2020, 08:46:31 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2020, 07:58:51 AM
For a Centre Back the bloke is not very tall for his height.

Aaron Hughes wasn't exactly tall and he's one of the best we've had in recent times, same can be said of Alain Goma

Yes both very good players indeed, but our current team lacks height and physicality compared to most clubs and that has been an ongoing problem, hence the reason why we ship so many goals, and our goals against record is nothing to be proud of, and neither is our set piece record.
That is why we have suffered from having a soft underbelly for far too long.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

LRCN

Quote from: RoyTund on September 22, 2020, 11:38:10 AM
I really hope this obsession with left footers isn't the reason we have struggled to sign CBs. We need competent ones, regardless of foot. All 3 Brighton centre backs that played vs Newcastle are right footed. Webster has been a great value signing from Bristol city.

I think its the fans, rather than the club, obsessing with left footed cbs, or more specifically cbs who are more comfortable playing on the left of a two.

having one of either foot in a back 4 is advantageous in that it gives you a greater distribution of passing angles when playing out from the back, but it isn't make or break. for example: liverpool, wolves, united, leicester.

similarly whilst a player might have a preference and familiarity to playing on one side vs the other the difference is totally marginal.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: RaySmith on September 22, 2020, 08:41:29 AM

Good post - Banford left Odoi for dead, he couldn't get near him for pace, for one their goals, and the Arsenal and Leeds forwards generally  outpaced our defenders.

Yes - agreed.  I thought Odoi was one of our quicker defenders, although that's not saying much!

I think with Tete/Aina at right back and Robinson at left back (Bryan pushed up to left midfield), then we probably just need a quick centre back next to a bigger one (who is ideally not too slow either).

As an aside - I'm not if we have enough players that are good in the air across the team - but it would be nice to have a centre half or two that can both attack and defend at set pieces!

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Lordedmundo on September 22, 2020, 11:51:47 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on September 22, 2020, 08:41:29 AM

Good post - Banford left Odoi for dead, he couldn't get near him for pace, for one their goals, and the Arsenal and Leeds forwards generally  outpaced our defenders.

Yes - agreed.  I thought Odoi was one of our quicker defenders, although that's not saying much!

I think with Tete/Aina at right back and Robinson at left back (Bryan pushed up to left midfield), then we probably just need a quick centre back next to a bigger one (who is ideally not too slow either).

As an aside - I'm not if we have enough players that are good in the air across the team - but it would be nice to have a centre half or two that can both attack and defend at set pieces!

Pace is important and doesn't have to be the best in the air but needs to be committed and able to win his fair share of headers at set pieces, not much to ask