watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Contrary to forum belief PARKER is the problem TLDR

Started by Caedal, September 29, 2020, 01:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caedal

I see moan moan moan about TK and recruitment, but the squad we have should be equally as adept as WBA and Leeds at attempting to compete at this level.

Consistently since he took over Parker has set us up in a manor which highlights none of the squad strengths and exacerbates the weaknesses. Last season despite being promotion favourites we predictably relied on a Mitro finish or a worldie from 25 yards as our source of goals. Defensively we were a disaster, and frankly have been since Malone and Fredricks left and stopped bailing us out constantly when defensive errors were made.

Last season the tactics we employed were turgid and boring. I personally wanted Parker sacked before last season began, and I feel he totally underperformed last year despite promotion.  As we can see from the stats from last year 3 things were obvious.

1) we are too reliant on Mitro to score
2) We are awful from set pieces either end
3) The tactics, shape and expectations of the players would not work in the Premier League,

The PL is about PACE, its about Set piece vigilance, its about trying something different against better teams to try and win games

What does Parker do? Not even bench players we have signed. Claim "defending doesnt need coaching and if a mindset issue", and puts out nonsensical teams where we concede in the first 8 mins of every half we play.

Parker is a joke.

The "stick with the team that got us promoted" brigade are a joke. 

Solutions

SACK PARKER IMMEDIATELY
Hire someone that has some grasp of tactical knowledge
Sign 3 decent CBs, 4 decent wingers, 1 striker
Sell any player that is unhappy with it.
Never play Cairney in a 2 man mf
Never play Ak at RWB
Never play Odoi, Ream, Hector AND ESPECIALLY F*CKING CARVALEIRO AGAIN 

..FOF..

I was one that called for a new coach before the season started. I was also roasted for that.

I also said that I will back whoever the coach is once the season started if we were to learn from the time Joka was with us in the EPL.

So, my stand now is give Parker the chance until end of Feb.

In recent years, Fulham seems to be able to turn things around by Feb. Thus the reason sacking Joka too early was a big mistake.

Caedal

If Parker survives the Wolves game, we will go down

Radiowhite

Remember what happened last time...
Sacking managers does not help. It's the fact that our defence is awful, same thing has happened and would happen with any manager. We need new players it's obvious. If we lost every game I would not blame it on Parker if we continue with this current squad

Statto

Yep, the problem is Martin Jol, Rene Mulensteen, Felix Magath, Kit Symons, Slavisa Jokanovic, Claudio Ranieri and Scott Parker (oh and Ray Wilkins, Alan Curbishley and Stuart Gray) are/were all terrible managers. If only one of them could do the manager's job as well as TK does the DOF's job, we'd be fine. Except that hiring a decent manager is the DOF's job too. But ignore that bit. Let's just agree it's not TK's fault, and remember how crap we were when he took over, scraping mid-table PL finishes season after season...

Caedal

Quote from: Statto on September 29, 2020, 01:59:25 AM
Yep, the problem is Martin Jol, Rene Mulensteen, Felix Magath, Kit Symons, Slavisa Jokanovic, Claudio Ranieri and Scott Parker are/were all terrible managers. If only one of them could do the manager's job as well as TK does the DOF's job, we'd be fine. Except that hiring a decent manager is the DOF's job too. But ignore that bit. Let's just agree it's not TK's fault, and remember how crap we were when he took over, scraping mid-table PL finishes season after season...

You are correct, all of those manager were tactically terrible

Bryanthebroom

Quote from: Caedal on September 29, 2020, 02:01:39 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 29, 2020, 01:59:25 AM
Yep, the problem is Martin Jol, Rene Mulensteen, Felix Magath, Kit Symons, Slavisa Jokanovic, Claudio Ranieri and Scott Parker are/were all terrible managers. If only one of them could do the manager's job as well as TK does the DOF's job, we'd be fine. Except that hiring a decent manager is the DOF's job too. But ignore that bit. Let's just agree it's not TK's fault, and remember how crap we were when he took over, scraping mid-table PL finishes season after season...

You are correct, all of those manager were tactically terrible

Please also remember that MAF appointed Mark Hughes - and we all remember what a disaster that was.

These days I'm actually nostalgic about the Jol/Meulensteen era.

At least in those days we gave ourselves a chance of winning games.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Radiowhite on September 29, 2020, 01:52:54 AM
Remember what happened last time...
Sacking managers does not help. It's the fact that our defence is awful, same thing has happened and would happen with any manager. We need new players it's obvious. If we lost every game I would not blame it on Parker if we continue with this current squad

We bid for Jean-Clair Todibo, who is probably not good enough to keep us up and at the same time too good not to join Everton and fight for a spot there. What we need is a player that doesn't think he can get a game at Everton and good enough to keep us up. The fact that Tony Khan cannot find such a player, may only mean that such a player doesn't exist. If we cannot find the right player at the right price, means we either get no one or the wrong player at the wrong price.

andyk

The Khan's choice of managers had been terrible. Every single one of them never worked at a decent club again. They were either old has-beens or novices. What TK doesn't want is a coach who has the confidence to tell him to his face that he is a spoilt little rich kid.
As for Parker he should resign. His reputation is still intact and he could take a lower division job to build a managerial career. He won't, of course. Money and pride. But he's way out of his depth and that is obvious to everyone.

FulhamStu

See my comments in Parker's post match thread.   Coaching defenders to defend, picking a balanced team with a strong midfield that can support defensive needs is Parker's job and last night he 100% got it wrong.

rebel

Quote from: Caedal on September 29, 2020, 01:37:24 AM
I see moan moan moan about TK and recruitment, but the squad we have should be equally as adept as WBA and Leeds at attempting to compete at this level.

Consistently since he took over Parker has set us up in a manor which highlights none of the squad strengths and exacerbates the weaknesses. Last season despite being promotion favourites we predictably relied on a Mitro finish or a worldie from 25 yards as our source of goals. Defensively we were a disaster, and frankly have been since Malone and Fredricks left and stopped bailing us out constantly when defensive errors were made.

Last season the tactics we employed were turgid and boring. I personally wanted Parker sacked before last season began, and I feel he totally underperformed last year despite promotion.  As we can see from the stats from last year 3 things were obvious.

1) we are too reliant on Mitro to score
2) We are awful from set pieces either end
3) The tactics, shape and expectations of the players would not work in the Premier League,

The PL is about PACE, its about Set piece vigilance, its about trying something different against better teams to try and win games

What does Parker do? Not even bench players we have signed. Claim "defending doesnt need coaching and if a mindset issue", and puts out nonsensical teams where we concede in the first 8 mins of every half we play.

Parker is a joke.

The "stick with the team that got us promoted" brigade are a joke. 

Solutions

SACK PARKER IMMEDIATELY
Hire someone that has some grasp of tactical knowledge
Sign 3 decent CBs, 4 decent wingers, 1 striker
Sell any player that is unhappy with it.
Never play Cairney in a 2 man mf
Never play Ak at RWB
Never play Odoi, Ream, Hector AND ESPECIALLY F*CKING CARVALEIRO AGAIN 

None of this is new, elements have been there in some form over a number of seasons. 

junior white

To reliant on Mitro, did we lose any games he missed last season?

I am not a Parkerite, and I think Mitro is great but i think we won't the game she missed last season with others steeping up and scoring. The problem for me, and has been for 4 years, is the defence. If thats the coach or recruitment or players then one or all needs to change, i am not singling out one element as it seems to cross all factors.

Hector was hailed by pretty much everyone from January as a godsend, now it seems ratty much everyone is on his back thats just an example of high praising without knowing so to speak. It could be as easy as singing a top quality ball playing centre back who loves to defend and then let Hector be the stopper as he sure isnt a ball playing centre back.

The main issue in recruitment is signing players who want to come to a team that is favourites (even before the season started)  to go down, as much as London and the prem is an attraction, not many want to join a possible relegation fight unless your prepared to just throw money at them. We tried that it failed.

Hardest part is the first season, if you stay up your looked at differently. So for me as i say i wont dig one area out i think it is all areas.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: andyk on September 29, 2020, 08:17:09 AM
The Khan's choice of managers had been terrible. Every single one of them never worked at a decent club again. They were either old has-beens or novices. What TK doesn't want is a coach who has the confidence to tell him to his face that he is a spoilt little rich kid.
As for Parker he should resign. His reputation is still intact and he could take a lower division job to build a managerial career. He won't, of course. Money and pride. But he's way out of his depth and that is obvious to everyone.

Unsurprising, a "USA University" produced a study showing that "hands-off owners with very little experience managing an NFL Football Club", choose the worst managers and their teams typically underperform dramatically for the first decade or so. Interestingly, hands-on owners with very little experience performed even worse, but for a shorter period of time about half the time. Universities spent years confirming the obvious, which i believe to be true.

Shahid Khan has been hands-off for seven seasons and Tony Khan hands-on for four seasons, so both still learning. If we get new owners they will be learning again too. We are still in the premier league and have parchuate payments for three more seasons, when the benefits of having experienced owners might start to appear. It seems the Khans may follow this trend too, with the added advantage the Khan's have financial advantages over many of the other club owners, combine that with a new stand and wow we can do ok.   

Southdowns White

It's a gamble now between twisting or sticking with Parker, a new manager will be too late too influence any new incoming transfers and sticking with Parker may only intensify the depression on the pitch.
If we are to be successful then Tony Khan needs to step aside and get someone in who understands his role in a footballing world. Maybe he is surrounded by too many 'YES' men, as so often happens when people are dealing with a person who ultimately pays their comfortable wage every month. What he needs is someone to give him a rocket up the backside and give him a slice of reality. I have never been a fan of Parkers football, either as a player or manager, I think he is now of of his depth at this level, can he attract the players we need? If we are to change, we do not need a throw money at the situation manager,  we do need someone who understands how important a cohesive strong defence, coupled with pace in the midfield is in the premier league.

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 29, 2020, 08:28:34 AM
Unsurprising, a "USA University" produced a study showing that "hands-off owners with very little experience managing an NFL Football Club", choose the worst managers and their teams typically underperform dramatically for the first decade or so. Interestingly, hands-on owners with very little experience performed even worse, but for a shorter period of time about half the time. Universities spent years confirming the obvious, which i believe to be true.
The NFL is not English football, nothing like it.

Deuce

I was against appoiting Parker in the first place, and throughout the season I was really on the fence if we should sack him or not. But sacking a manager AFTER he just got us promoted (as some seriously suggested) would have been ridicoulous.

Parker would always struggle in his first Prem season. I still think that because our squad is the weakest in the league, Parker would have his work cut out for him but my hopes were/are that Parker could get the group pulling in the same direction, working hard for each other and with a bit of grit we could become more of a grinding side.

I think you just have to look at the squad and you cleary see there is no vision, no over arching idea of what the team is suppose to be. Too many short sighted signings, no long term thinking. Thats down to TK who unfortunatley is out of his depth big time

Bronaldinho

In all honesty, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

With those options in defence, you couldn't get a winning side together anyway at the top level.

As you can see from Rodak or Areola - you can't have a confident goalkeeper in front, when the defence in front of you are so error prone.

Confidence is bred from the back. Which is why we were such a great side with Schwarzer, Hughes and Hangeland - the team had trust in those dealing with attackers.

Nowadays everyone knows we are lucky if an attack doesn't result in us conceding.

You need leaders, strong characters, grit, vocal defenders at the back for a side like us. That's what we had back in the day, and it's the same base that Burnley have.

You don't stand a chance in this league if you don't give yourself a chance to even get a clean sheet.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

toshes mate

Quote from: Bronaldinho on September 29, 2020, 08:56:43 AM

With those options in defence, you couldn't get a winning side together anyway at the top level.

As you can see from Rodak or Areola - you can't have a confident goalkeeper in front, when the defence in front of you are so error prone.

Confidence is bred from the back. Which is why we were such a great side with Schwarzer, Hughes and Hangeland - the team had trust in those dealing with attackers.

Nowadays everyone knows we are lucky if an attack doesn't result in us conceding.

You need leaders, strong characters, grit, vocal defenders at the back for a side like us. That's what we had back in the day, and it's the same base that Burnley have.

You don't stand a chance in this league if you don't give yourself a chance to even get a clean sheet.
+1
It has been the same sorry story throughout the reign of the Khans, and it was a pattern long before they appointed Jokanovic the first and probably only successful head coach.  Parker cannot hope to succeed without a DoF who is able to do his job with absolute commitment to the Club and not to himself.

fulhamben

Quote from: Bronaldinho on September 29, 2020, 08:56:43 AM

if it doesn't matter who the coach is, let's at least bring one in who tries to organise a defence.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 29, 2020, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: andyk on September 29, 2020, 08:17:09 AM

Shahid Khan has been hands-off for seven seasons and Tony Khan hands-on for four seasons, so both still learning. If we get new owners they will be learning again too. We are still in the premier league and have parchuate payments for three more seasons, when the benefits of having experienced owners might start to appear. It seems the Khans may follow this trend too, with the added advantage the Khan's have financial advantages over many of the other club owners, combine that with a new stand and wow we can do ok.   

You cannot equate NFL with English Football, that is as deluded as defending the profusion of errors of judgement made by the owners son in every season he has been lurking round the club posing as a D of F. He is the catalyst in all that is wrong, yet manager after manager is hired and fired without blinking an eyelid, and yet he is allowed to operate and undermine the recruitment and the progress of the club.
Anyone that appears a threat to him is off loaded, only yes men are allowed to surround him. The fact that he defended and covered up for his best mate CK for a couple years tells you all you need to know, you find out more about people when you observe the company they keep.
However, what goes round comes round.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.