News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

87 players signed since relegtion under Magath.

Started by MJG, September 30, 2020, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 12:37:04 PM
Crude inspection suggests we have struggled to find GKs, CBs, and Strikers than in other areas (which seem closer to what should be realistically expected), and that is not taking longevity of position into account (e.g. a good goalkeeper can go on a lot longer than players in other positions).   Be interesting to see a comparison with turnover in clubs elsewhere.
Give me a team to compare against and i'll give it a shot.
Just the views of a long term fan

Wolf

Think you've missed the Fotheringham we never got to see play: midfielder Dino Fazlic
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

FulhamStu

It's a very interesting list and on first glance the quality does not seem great.  How many of these players have gone onto have glorious careers such as Saha or others in the past.  I guess the truth is that many if not most players that move about are journeymen and the really good ones tend to stick with one club longer.  Cairney and Mitro have been very good players for us as are still around for instance.  The turn over of players in the modern game is huge and with Fulham being somewhat of a yo-yo club in the Khan era this I guess is unsurprising.  Anguissa is an interesting signing, cost of lot of money for potential and could still become a very good investment. It's a big risk though, the Brentford model is probably one of the most successful in terms of buying and selling at a profit.  They use 100% stats I think !

MJG

Ok this is not perfect but uses all the same data so is a fair comparrison.

Transfermarket says we have signed 98 players over that period, a lot higher than many others, close to teh same for Leeds tho

This is across all age ranges

MJG

fcfulham55

Good info.   Was just figuring out how many of these actually are of premier league / championship quality.   Appears it takes several signings to get a decent player in.  Thats the chances of getting in a decent defender very slim.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on September 30, 2020, 12:55:58 PM
Crude inspection suggests we have struggled to find GKs, CBs, and Strikers than in other areas (which seem closer to what should be realistically expected), and that is not taking longevity of position into account (e.g. a good goalkeeper can go on a lot longer than players in other positions).   Be interesting to see a comparison with turnover in clubs elsewhere.
How about Wolves?

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 01:14:04 PM
How about Wolves?

Statto

In fairness you'd expect a yo-yo club like us (thanks Tony!) to have a high player turnover, given the need to get the wages down after each relegation and bring in more talent after each promotion

The data is interesting but I'm not sure any significant conclusions can be drawn just from the list itself

Only thing I will say is it sure feels like we've signed a lot more wingers than that, although I'd probably class 4-5 of those in the striker column as wingers

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on September 30, 2020, 01:18:13 PM
How about Wolves?

So Wolves go with youth and experience and we tend to go with experience.  Does that suggest our over use of statistics as compared to underuse of scouting I wonder, or is it down to who knows who in the world of football and if your DoF has a prior formidable network of contacts/friends/acquaintances/trusted scouts, dealers or agents then they'll automatically know who they need to talk to when in need?  Or is the period under inspection one where we have had way more management changes than the average?

Jim©

I think ours looks fairly normal. On the basis of those charts, spend wise, we're similar to Watford, Bournemouth, West Brom, Middlesborough.

I do wonder if TK thinks lots of numbers are needed due to the size of NFL teams!

FulhamStu

Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 01:30:45 PM
Crude inspection suggests we have struggled to find GKs, CBs, and Strikers than in other areas (which seem closer to wha +t should be realistically expected), and that is not taking longevity of position into account (e.g. a good goalkeeper can go on a lot longer than players in other positions).   Be interesting to see a comparison with turnover in clubs elsewhere.
How about Wolves?

So Wolves go with youth and experience and we tend to go with experience.  Does that suggest our over use of statistics as compared to underuse of scouting I wonder, or is it down to who knows who in the world of football and if your DoF has a prior formidable network of contacts/friends/acquaintances/trusted scouts, dealers or agents then they'll automatically know who they need to talk to when in need?  Or is the period under inspection one where we have had way more management changes than the average?

Your comments have me thinking about the Riggs days, was he an exe agent, I know he had lot of agent contacts and suspect that was why we had him as DOF.  Did he do better than Tony Khan ?   I don't think he did but correct me if I am wrong.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 01:30:45 PM
How about Wolves?

all good points, you could drill down and mix the data up based on how many mangers you had, owners etc. Promotions relegations and everything else. No perfect set of data.
My conclusion we have thrown an awful lot of crap at the wall to hope some would stick.
Also on the age point,  maybe the gamble is on on those who have failed elsewhere and need a kick-start.

toshes mate

This is what Khan Snr said about Mike Rigg at his appointment:

"'Based on my experience over the past 17 months and through the most recent managerial search (Symons), it became clear to me that the new Fulham manager - in fact, the entire football operation - would benefit from someone whose sole responsibility was to focus on the short, mid and long-term product on the pitch."  And so he obviously believed Rigg was a multi-tasker having worked for the FA and may have been tipped the name by someone involved in the recruitment panel which led to Symons being appointed.

Of course the Symons era wasn't the success Khan wanted and Jokanovic's immediate impact didn't inspire confidence either but it's hard to distinguish what went wrong when owners keeps changing the deck of cards.  Given Rigg was cleared out PDQ once the two clowns, T&C, took over recruitment thus becoming the whole darned operation it is hard to say whether he was good, bad, or indifferent.  But was Khan Snr's head turned by Symons's failure into believing Rigg's wasn't the guy for FFC after all and his son was?

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on September 30, 2020, 01:57:27 PM
My conclusion we have thrown an awful lot of crap at the wall to hope some would stick.
Also on the age point,  maybe the gamble is on on those who have failed elsewhere and need a kick-start.
I hadn't thought about the kick-start but that is a very interesting angle which would justify use of longer term stats.  I certainly agree that is has taken an awful lot of crap thrown at the same wall to get us where we are and I sometimes wonder how any of it has stuck.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 02:03:57 PM

"'Based on my experience over the past 17 months and through the most recent managerial search (Symons), it became clear to me that the new Fulham manager - in fact, the entire football operation - would benefit from someone whose sole responsibility was to focus on the short, mid and long-term product on the pitch."  And so he obviously believed Rigg was a multi-tasker having worked for the FA and may have been tipped the name by someone involved in the recruitment panel which led to Symons being appointed.

Of course the Symons era wasn't the success Khan wanted and Jokanovic's immediate impact didn't inspire confidence either but it's hard to distinguish what went wrong when owners keeps changing the deck of cards.  Given Rigg was cleared out PDQ once the two clowns, T&C, took over recruitment thus becoming the whole darned operation it is hard to say whether he was good, bad, or indifferent.  But was Khan Snr's head turned by Symons's failure into believing Rigg's wasn't the guy for FFC after all and his son was?
must admit the whole 'we need a football man' is trash really.
What does that even mean?
Even if someone has played  dowsnt mean they know Jack about scouting a player. Rigg had the contacts but for whatever reason they still failed in the long run. I see people say Murphy....the guy has not coached anywhere, why do we think he could run the dept and do any better.
A whole load of luck is required in signing pkayers and its been debated on here a million times. Your very lucky if 50% work out in the long run.
My issue with TK now is the jobs he has  cant work in running the club. He either steps away from every else and gives it his full 100% attention comes over here full time or gives it to someone else.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on September 30, 2020, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on September 30, 2020, 02:03:57 PM

must admit the whole 'we need a football man' is trash really.
What does that even mean?
Even if someone has played  dowsnt mean they know Jack about scouting a player. Rigg had the contacts but for whatever reason they still failed in the long run. I see people say Murphy....the guy has not coached anywhere, why do we think he could run the dept and do any better.
A whole load of luck is required in signing pkayers and its been debated on here a million times. Your very lucky if 50% work out in the long run.
My issue with TK now is the jobs he has  cant work in running the club. He either steps away from every else and gives it his full 100% attention comes over here full time or gives it to someone else.
That certainly would fit Khan Snr's requirement as in the words 'sole responsibility short, mid and long term'.

filham

The numbers over just a few seasons are staggering  and the fact that there have been so few players successful suggests something is wrong. Surely these stats should make TK aware that to continue with a Stats based recruitment system is not going to bring success.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Genuinely forgot the existence of Yohan Mollo until this reminded me