watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maybe Tony Khan deserves some praise ?

Started by Riversider, November 03, 2020, 02:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

I think my reservations are: how many of these players have options in their contracts to buy. Or how many are mercenaries designed as a quick fix to keep us up.

Statto

Quote from: JEEVES on November 03, 2020, 10:41:17 PM
Best value for money signings I've ever seen us make

Maybe so but as you say, "completely irrelevant" if we're disregarding finances

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 03, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
I wouldn't call Cairney, Loftus-cheek, Lemina, Reed, Anguissa and Onomah "class" or an "array of talent" at this level.

Anguissa is class, but it's taken two years for him to be useful to us.
Lemina is class, but let's see how long he stays fit and motivated.
Jury's out on RLC and Cairney, and in any case the latter was a Mike Rigg signing.
Reed and Onomah aren't class at this level. Full stop.

We appear to have a competent back five although it's taken 7 games for us to get there, and we remain one injury away from Ream starting.

We're weak up front. Whoever plays RW is unlikely to be effective against most opposition at this level. Our only PL quality forwards are Mitrovic and Lookman. If either of them gets injured or suspended, we're impotent. We desperately need reinforcements up front in January - preferably at the start of the month, although that ain't gonna happen with TK. 

We remain favourites for relegation and shouldn't get carried away after winning the easiest game of the 38 we'll play this season.

Tony Khan has done a good job, and the main reason people don't think so is their expectations are too high.

We have a mid-table goalkeeping squad, a midfield that is at least the 17th best in the league currently, a defense that will be the 17th best from March 2021 onwards and a forward attack that is too good for the championship. This squad is good enough to stay up but cohesion is a problem and we need 3-4 months playing together before being a good team.

If we go down, then we need to come up again stronger more cohesive. We are a yo-yo team, the question is can TK keep our yo-yo squad of players long enough to give Parker time to build a cohesive team that can win the championship and come 17th in the premier league. I think yes.

JEEVES

Quote from: Statto on November 03, 2020, 10:52:29 PM

I get you, but I'm not completely disregarding finances. I'll admit from what I've said I'm disregarding the wages of a few players who didn't make the 25 (mainly seri who's on about 65,000) but this is a thread about transfer business and about how Khan deserves credit. Is the first thing that comes to your mind seriously about getting rid of players? I don't get excited about a transfer window thinking "oh thank god the windows here, can't wKt to sell him and him" it's about players we brought in. And if you wana talk about players out it's not like we didn't get rid of anyone. Mawson, sess, knockaert all gone is a plus.

Aradabioyo, Andersen, Lookman, Aina, Tete, Robinson, retained Anguissa who was attracting all sorts of interest. How you can say that wasn't a good window I don't know.

Aradabioyo and Robinson by the way considering they were permanents and their price for me is proof someone knows what they're doing.

Statto

Quote from: JEEVES on November 03, 2020, 11:45:02 PM

I get you, but I'm not completely disregarding finances. I'll admit from what I've said I'm disregarding the wages of a few players who didn't make the 25 (mainly seri who's on about 65,000) but this is a thread about transfer business and about how Khan deserves credit. Is the first thing that comes to your mind seriously about getting rid of players? I don't get excited about a transfer window thinking "oh thank god the windows here, can't wKt to sell him and him" it's about players we brought in. And if you wana talk about players out it's not like we didn't get rid of anyone. Mawson, sess, knockaert all gone is a plus.

The thing with Seri isn't just his wages, it's the continued amortisation of his fee. That could be another £25m player whose wages we're paying and whose fee is amortising, instead of Seri's.

The same goes for Fabri, and Mawson and Knockaert unless we received incredibly high loan fees and all their wages are being covered.

Together with McDonald and Johansen, that's about £65m worth of players who remain on our books but won't make any contribution this season.

Imagine we'd offloaded all of them properly and signed Benrahma and Watkins with that money, and you realise the impact.

And BTW I never suggested outgoing transfers are "the first thing that comes to my mind" in a transfer window. I clearly just agreed with another poster that it was a reasonable and significant element of our business to consider, particularly when the most positive thing about this window was, according to you  the value for money we got on incoming transfers.

Manufacturing things like that really undermines your argument.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 04, 2020, 01:27:18 AM

The thing with Seri isn't just his wages, it's the continued amortisation of his fee. That could be another £25m player whose wages we're paying and whose fee is amortising, instead of Seri's.

The same goes for Fabri, and Mawson and Knockaert unless we received incredibly high loan fees and all their wages are being covered.

Together with McDonald and Johansen, that's about £65m worth of players who remain on our books but won't make any contribution this season.

Imagine we'd offloaded all of them properly and signed Benrahma and Watkins with that money, and you realise the impact.

And BTW I never suggested outgoing transfers are "the first thing that comes to my mind" in a transfer window. I clearly just agreed with another poster that it was a reasonable and significant element of our business to consider, particularly when the most positive thing about this window was, according to you  the value for money we got on incoming transfers.

Manufacturing things like that really undermines your argument.

We have to amortise 12.5% of Seri's transfer fee for half a season as we didn't sell him, but if we sell him we have to amortise 50% of the fee.

colinwhite

some decent signings -it is what it is . Time will tell if it is enough.

toshes mate

You have to remember recruitment covers all personnel in a business and yet this thread focuses only on the players who came in during a certain market window.  Businesses are the sum of all their parts and well run examples do not carry a load of deadweight.  Deadweights can be a nightmare for their senior managers.  Deadweight senior managers can be a nightmare for their subordinate staff.  I can only ever form a mental picture of what a well run professional football outfit would look like and the one thing it doesn't have is nepotism ...

JimOG

Aradabioyo, Andersen, Lookman, Aina, Tete, Robinson, retained Anguissa who was attracting all sorts of interest. How you can say that wasn't a good window I don't know.

Aradabioyo and Robinson by the way considering they were permanents and their price for me is proof someone knows what they're doing.
Some contributors are inflexible. They take positions on eg TK and cannot shift from that. TK's attempts to impose Moneyball stats were a mistake, as many of us conveyed to him. But look at the position he & recruitment were in. We had a very late play-off victory. Presuming he had Plan A (we're promoted) and Plan B we're still in the Championship) FFC have brought in some really good buys as well as loans such that if we get relegated we'd have Tete, Toisin, Kongolo, Robinson, Reed (& Rodak) - a brilliant defence by Championship standards. We'd stll have Zambo Seri & Mitro ( I would expect all to go) - a substantial sum from them + parachute payment. If we stay up - & I think we can - we have the foundations of a mid-table Prem side. So yes I think TK deserves great credit, and I've been a critic of his for some time

hopper

He has had an incredibly difficult job with the fast turnaround of the transfer window, and we all know that bridging the gap from Championship to Premier League is harder than ever. Last year's squad and this year's team aren't the same quality of Tigana's team that went up, but it's a whole lot better than last time. The new signings all look to have massively improved the squad and that is a huge credit to TK.

The only thing that is a headscratcher from my POV is why did we not swap Seri and Babel. Babel would walk into that RW slot, and Seri didn't even make the 25. Were we frustrated with the incredibly low offers Galatasaray were giving so we just refused the deal outright - hard to say.

I Ronic

My personal view is he's got better with each window. Yes he's brash and not slow to take credit for things some have a different take on. However given that in the short period he's been in the position. We've been relegated and promoted twice. Which isn't really the ideal postion to get to grips with the job and build a stronger squad.
I'm sure the Chairman was looking for a club for a while and it wasn't a snap decision. TK would of been involved and much talk would of been about building a successful business. Sustainability was mentioned very early on. That hasn't stopped a great deal of money being spent on players and infrastructure (let's not forget about the additional piece of land at Motspur park).
.I do believe that currently all parts of the business are in safe hands. A win at West Ham or a good performance and a draw would be another welcome sign and an opportunity to start believing we can actually compete in this league this time round.

JimOG

Quote from: hopper on November 04, 2020, 09:34:11 AM
He has had an incredibly difficult job with the fast turnaround of the transfer window, and we all know that bridging the gap from Championship to Premier League is harder than ever. Last year's squad and this year's team aren't the same quality of Tigana's team that went up, but it's a whole lot better than last time. The new signings all look to have massively improved the squad and that is a huge credit to TK.

The only thing that is a headscratcher from my POV is why did we not swap Seri and Babel. Babel would walk into that RW slot, and Seri didn't even make the 25. Were we frustrated with the incredibly low offers Galatasaray were giving so we just refused the deal outright - hard to say.

+1

70sPimlico

I have no problem giving people at Fulham praise. I don't understand why we wouldn't want to. We've a bloody good team. Will it keep us up? Actually, I think it will.

WindyCity

Not saying anything about TK one way or the other.  HOWEVER, this is only ONE game, ONE good result.  Before passing judgment methinks a wider body of work and review of same would be more prudent.......

mrmicawbers

Quote from: 70sPimlico on November 04, 2020, 11:36:46 AM
I have no problem giving people at Fulham praise. I don't understand why we wouldn't want to. We've a bloody good team. Will it keep us up? Actually, I think it will.
Totally agree.The problem is some people have nailed their colours to mast so rigidly they would rather we failed to give themselves some credence.

JEEVES

Quote from: JimOG on November 04, 2020, 09:29:21 AM

Some contributors are inflexible. They take positions on eg TK and cannot shift from that. TK's attempts to impose Moneyball stats were a mistake, as many of us conveyed to him. But look at the position he & recruitment were in. We had a very late play-off victory. Presuming he had Plan A (we're promoted) and Plan B we're still in the Championship) FFC have brought in some really good buys as well as loans such that if we get relegated we'd have Tete, Toisin, Kongolo, Robinson, Reed (& Rodak) - a brilliant defence by Championship standards. We'd stll have Zambo Seri & Mitro ( I would expect all to go) - a substantial sum from them + parachute payment. If we stay up - & I think we can - we have the foundations of a mid-table Prem side. So yes I think TK deserves great credit, and I've been a critic of his for some time

Stato. I'm clearly telling you to not get wrapped up in players/ finances that don't really matter and are no problem to us as fans. If you're that wrapped up in finances, you should be over the moon in the business we've done!

Statto

Quote from: JEEVES on November 06, 2020, 10:12:24 PM
Stato. I'm clearly telling you to not get wrapped up in players/ finances that don't really matter and are no problem to us as fans. If you're that wrapped up in finances, you should be over the moon in the business we've done!

And I've clearly told you why it does matter. But if you don't think an extra £65m to spend this summer would have made any difference, there's not much point continuing the discussion. You lost the argument when you started making things up anyway.
1500.gif

JEEVES

Quote from: Statto on November 06, 2020, 10:26:00 PM
Quote from: JEEVES on November 06, 2020, 10:12:24 PM

And I've clearly told you why it does matter. But if you don't think an extra £65m to spend this summer would have made any difference, there's not much point continuing the discussion. You lost the argument when you started making things up anyway.
1500.gif

Haha nah I actually really like you man. You're one of the people that really makes this forum. God knows where you pull this 65 mil transfer budgets out of players wages but it's entertaining for sure

Riversider

The one thing that can't be in dispute is the fact that you would have to go back donkeys years to find a defensive squad as deep with as much quality as this one,
And as for that midfield with Anguissa,  Lemina and Loftus-cheek,  wow there's some quality there,
Tony Khan has given us every chance to stay up this season and we've still got a number of players to come back ,
Some people should be more accepting , enjoy the moment and relax,
We've had a better window than Burnley, WBA and Sheff Utd have had, but were miles behind two thirds of the division,  though I'm now confident we can spring the occasional surprise this season ,
Let's not get too low when we lose or two high when we win, we can definitely do this,
COYSW

JEEVES

Quote from: Riversider on November 06, 2020, 11:30:02 PM
The one thing that can't be in dispute is the fact that you would have to go back donkeys years to find a defensive squad as deep with as much quality as this one,
And as for that midfield with Anguissa,  Lemina and Loftus-cheek,  wow there's some quality there,
Tony Khan has given us every chance to stay up this season and we've still got a number of players to come back ,
Some people should be more accepting , enjoy the moment and relax,
We've had a better window than Burnley, WBA and Sheff Utd have had, but were miles behind two thirds of the division,  though I'm now confident we can spring the occasional surprise this season ,
Let's not get too low when we lose or two high when we win, we can definitely do this,
COYSW

Someone who's absolutely spot on with everything he's said..