watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maybe Tony Khan deserves some praise ?

Started by Riversider, November 03, 2020, 02:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

I know this will be difficult for some on here to stomach , and plenty on here won't want to hear this but I actually think Khan Jnr has done a pretty good job putting this squad together, not perfect, but certainly pretty decent,
Our keeper and defence situation is miles better than what Burnley, Sheff Utd and WBA have at their disposal , our options are now incredible
Areola or Rodak,
Tete or Aina,
Robinson or Bryan,
Andersen, Ream, Adarabioyo,  Kongolo,

We've got class oozing throughout our midfield now ,
Cairney,
Loftus-cheek,
Lemina,
Reed,
Anguissa,
Onomah,
That's an incredible array of talent , and far, far, better than what we had at our disposal last time we got promoted, we still need a centre forward with pace to provide an option to Mitrovic and possibly a right winger but other than that (injuries permitting) we won't have too much to do come the January transfer window,
I was confident at the start of the season that we would finish above WBA, Burnley and Sheff Utd and seven games in I still am, those two games against Burnley are going to be crucial,
Is there anybody left that still wants to criticise our squad ?

rebel

Quote from: Riversider on November 03, 2020, 02:20:40 PM
I know this will be difficult for some on here to stomach , and plenty on here won't want to hear this but I actually think Khan Jnr has done a pretty good job putting this squad together, not perfect, but certainly pretty decent,
Our keeper and defence situation is miles better than what Burnley, Sheff Utd and WBA have at their disposal , our options are now incredible
Areola or Rodak,
Tete or Aina,
Robinson or Bryan,

Cairney,
Loftus-cheek,
Lemina,
Reed,
Anguissa,
Onomah,
That's an incredible array of talent , and far, far, better than what we had at our disposal last time we got promoted, we still need a centre forward with pace to provide an option to Mitrovic and possibly a right winger but other than that (injuries permitting) we won't have too much to do come the January transfer window,
I was confident at the start of the season that we would finish above WBA, Burnley and Sheff Utd and seven games in I still am, those two games against Burnley are going to be crucial,

I think people are critical of Parker's tactics more then the squad; you need read back some threads, might give you a better perspective.

filham

Amazing what a 2-0 home win will do for us all, singing the praises of Tony Khan, no one would have dared to do that last week.
However I too am on a high and right now am seeing things through rose coloured spectacles.
Remember though we still need 36 points from the remaining 32 games.

Samsara

Quote from: rebel on November 03, 2020, 02:36:39 PM
Areola or Rodak,
Tete or Aina,
Robinson or Bryan,

Cairney,
Loftus-cheek,
Lemina,
Reed,
Anguissa,
Onomah,

I think people are critical of Parker's tactics more then the squad; you need read back some threads, might give you a better perspective.

Tony Khan was public enemy #1 for a long time. He was blamed for the majority of our failures until deadline day. Him and Parker have shared all the reactive blame, IMO.

Radiowhite

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we've only won one game

rebel

The 'nonsense' of Khan Jr talking over with Parker how the team would play in the Play Off Final against Brentford. To show Khan Junior in a good light, that's the sort of thing that gets fans back up.   

toshes mate

It's a fair comment in the OP although the reasons we should change our minds about TK are hardly settled or scientific.  As I commented during the transfer window machinations anyone working their way down a list of potential suitors can strike lucky some of the time which just goes to show how much better things can be when luck plays less of a role in findng better players. 

Quote from: Radiowhite on November 03, 2020, 03:05:12 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we've only won one game
This seems a much better assessment of things so far and so is this:

Quote from: filham on November 03, 2020, 02:38:55 PM
Amazing what a 2-0 home win will do for us all, singing the praises of Tony Khan, no one would have dared to do that last week.
However I too am on a high and right now am seeing things through rose coloured spectacles.
Remember though we still need 36 points from the remaining 32 games.
Let's give some credit to those who performed last night but also urge them on to do even better things this weekend.

General

Far too early to be getting carried away. Plus as another poster stated it's more a gripe at our tactics, also if we're being honest our front 3 doesn't have much depth and can be nullified.

Yes we've won our first game (out of seven), yes things look to be getting better, but we've got to be honest and say when we've come up against teams in forms (although without tosin or andersen at the back), we've so far been found wanting.

Our next few games include matches against Tottenham, man City, Leicester and Everton - soon to be making up 4 of the top 5, so definitely no need to be carried away.

West ham pending, our next possible particularly winnable game will be against Brighton. By that time there's a chance we'll be back in the bottom three, unless we score and defend better than we have so far.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Areola or Rodak,
Tete or Aina,
Robinson or Bryan,

Cairney,
Loftus-cheek,
Lemina,
Reed,
Anguissa,
Onomah,

You've changed your tune. Haven't you been quite vocal about your dislike for him?

Statto

I wouldn't call Cairney, Loftus-cheek, Lemina, Reed, Anguissa and Onomah "class" or an "array of talent" at this level.

Anguissa is class, but it's taken two years for him to be useful to us.
Lemina is class, but let's see how long he stays fit and motivated.
Jury's out on RLC and Cairney, and in any case the latter was a Mike Rigg signing.
Reed and Onomah aren't class at this level. Full stop.

We appear to have a competent back five although it's taken 7 games for us to get there, and we remain one injury away from Ream starting.

We're weak up front. Whoever plays RW is unlikely to be effective against most opposition at this level. Our only PL quality forwards are Mitrovic and Lookman. If either of them gets injured or suspended, we're impotent. We desperately need reinforcements up front in January - preferably at the start of the month, although that ain't gonna happen with TK. 

We remain favourites for relegation and shouldn't get carried away after winning the easiest game of the 38 we'll play this season.

Mr K.Dilkington

only if we become an established pl club again. yo-yo club is not acceptable with their resources 
Foolish ham

mrmicawbers

JEEVES

I'm all for this. I know it's one win against Westbrom but that was probably one of the most difficult summer transfer windows of all time and I couldn't name a bad signing we made.

Tabby

Quote from: JEEVES on November 03, 2020, 09:02:50 PM
I'm all for this. I know it's one win against Westbrom but that was probably one of the most difficult summer transfer windows of all time and I couldn't name a bad signing we made.

Some of the signings have taken too long to happen and I would have liked another forward, but can't complain otherwise. Think all the signings have shown that they're able to contribute other than RLC (think he'll come good) and Kongolo who has been injured. Far cry from last time up where there were some proper clunkers.

My main critisism is failing to shift players, we have players like Seri, Johansen, Onomah and Kmac not even in the squad. The squad will need some pruning in january.

JEEVES

Quote from: Tabby on November 03, 2020, 09:51:58 PM
Quote from: JEEVES on November 03, 2020, 09:02:50 PM

Some of the signings have taken too long to happen and I would have liked another forward, but can't complain otherwise. Think all the signings have shown that they're able to contribute other than RLC (think he'll come good) and Kongolo who has been injured. Far cry from last time up where there were some proper clunkers.

My main critisism is failing to shift players, we have players like Seri, Johansen, Onomah and Kmac not even in the squad. The squad will need some pruning in january.

I agree we should have moved on johansen and Mcdonald (for their own benefit) and seri (wage bill). I wouldn't have moved on Onomah because he's actually injured otherwise I think he would have made Scott's 25 because we all know he likes and believes in him and to be honest he would have been in my 25 because he has age, strength and potential on his side and he could be back in the squad after January.

I don't see why you're factoring in these players as part of the transfer window business. If our owners are happy to keep hold of them and pay their wages it's going to have absolutely no effect on our squad and is completely irrelevant.

Cutting them out, your doubts are RLC who is clearly a project but I don't think anyone can argue is a project worth the risk and Kongolo who I admit could be a flop and potentially might not be fit till next season but I genuinely like the fact our recruitment said you know what, this is a risk worth taking, because if we can get him fit that's another left sided CB pushing Tim Ream further down the pecking order. As much as I love Tim Ream for what he's done for our club, I could happily put plenty of money right now on the fact that we'll never win another Premier league game with him playing for us.

I'll go as far as to say our recruitment was better than the 3 bellow us and atleast 3 teams above us. I can name them if challenged, Leeds is one of them by the way.

Statto

Quote from: JEEVES on November 03, 2020, 10:24:05 PM
I don't see why you're factoring in these players as part of the transfer window business. If our owners are happy to keep hold of them and pay their wages it's going to have absolutely no effect on our squad and is completely irrelevant.

It doesn't affect us on the pitch but it affects us from an economic perspective. So if you're going to disregard that you should also disregard the "value for money" angle on players signed, ie, just assume we had £100m to spend and this is what we got - Robinson, Tete, Tosin, Kongolo, Reed and some loans.

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on November 03, 2020, 08:40:47 PM

We appear to have a competent back five although it's taken 7 games for us to get there, and we remain one injury away from Ream starting.

It's taken 7 games to get there, as you put it, because of injury and the late closure of the transfer window,
Kongolo will be fit after the next game which means were not actually one injury away from Ream,
I think you fall in to the category of people that I spoke of who just cant give any credit to Tony Khan for anything,  you will probably find something to moan about when the new stand is finished!
Dress it up however you like it's a pretty decent transfer window and certainly better than the ones that Burnley, WBA and Sheff Utd had.

Tabby

I agree we should have moved on johansen and Mcdonald (for their own benefit) and seri (wage bill). I wouldn't have moved on Onomah because he's actually injured otherwise I think he would have made Scott's 25 because we all know he likes and believes in him and to be honest he would have been in my 25 because he has age, strength and potential on his side and he could be back in the squad after January.

Point about Onomah is mostly that he'll be back to take the spot from someone currently in the squad in January, presumably a defender, who will also need to be moved on.

QuoteI don't see why you're factoring in these players as part of the transfer window business. If our owners are happy to keep hold of them and pay their wages it's going to have absolutely no effect on our squad and is completely irrelevant.

I'm not sure that having them around the team for half a season just coming in for training is great for morale, and money isn't infinite. I see selling players as part of a transfer window and the job of a DoF.

AnOldBrownie

Won't know until the end of the season.

Right now...   I like our squad more than 4 other teams, so he gets a positive grade from me.

B+

If we stay up, what he did gets an A+ from me.

JEEVES

Quote from: Statto on November 03, 2020, 10:31:12 PM

It doesn't affect us on the pitch but it affects us from an economic perspective. So if you're going to disregard that you should also disregard the "value for money" angle on players signed, ie, just assume we had £100m to spend and this is what we got - Robinson, Tete, Tosin, Kongolo, Reed and some loans.

Best value for money signings I've ever seen us make. Mo used kept us competing year after year with value signings. He was a great owner, I'm now seeing this from our current owners. A complete flip from last time. I like it. I understand getting high earners off the wage bill so that you can get in players you actually need but I don't feel like those players not moving prevented us from signing who we wanted. I think recruitment put everything into getting everyone they could and there simply wasn't time to move those players on. I'm sure there would have been interest.