watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ollie Watkins

Started by South Coast White, November 08, 2020, 09:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

Without knowing the state of the club's finances, or whether there was ever a realistic chance of signing him, it is hard to comment on whether we should have offered something in the region of £30 million for Watkins, so I would not condemn Tony Khan for not signing him, but I did feel strongly before the season started that I would have taken Watkins even if it meant Mitrovic leaving.  They have different qualities, obviously, but Watkins would suit our style of play much better, I believe.

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on November 08, 2020, 11:14:31 PM
For the record, we was in for Watkins, he was one of Parker's 3 main targets, was keen to remain in London, even though he'd played under Smith at Brentford. Parker was told no, club wasn't committed to spend that type of money.

No, I won't reveal my sources, yes, it's reliable, call me a WUM all you like, not here to purposely lie.

Didnt want to take the gamble so we get nobody instead, have a Mitro with zero confidence and some plonker taking panenkas very badly to level a match.  Marvellous.   

Statto

Quote from: BarryP on November 09, 2020, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 09, 2020, 03:39:05 PM

Gate receipts were less than 8% of our revenue last time we were in the PL. Of course that revenue stream is no longer there, but even that has to be offset against savings from furloughing matchday staff, the £15 PPV money etc. Probably talking about a total impact of a few million quid - maybe revenue is £135m instead of £140m. Doesn't seem a big deal to me.

Anything is possible but I'm skeptical that the impact would be that small.

Well I'm no expert, just using common sense, so maybe you're right, but I can't see how it could be much different. Our largest revenue stream by far, the TV money, is still coming in. Merchandising etc shouldn't be affected - online retail has remained strong through the pandemic. So really not sure how else we could be impacted.

peter w

Quote from: Statto on November 08, 2020, 11:05:17 PM
No amount of wins for them will change my view that player-for-player they're not much, if any, better than us. Watkins vs. Mitrovic being an example - agree with the sentiment above about Mitro outscoring him. Cannot believe some of the results they're getting at the moment...

I don't see many, if any, of the current Fulham starting 11 getting into the current Villa starting 11 to be fair.

alfie

I have no real idea, but I'm sure he was never going to come to us, regardless of what the cost would have been.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Statto

Quote from: peter w on November 10, 2020, 04:35:13 AM
No amount of wins for them will change my view that player-for-player they're not much, if any, better than us. Watkins vs. Mitrovic being an example - agree with the sentiment above about Mitro outscoring him. Cannot believe some of the results they're getting at the moment...

I don't see many, if any, of the current Fulham starting 11 getting into the current Villa starting 11 to be fair.

Who in your starting XI do you think would get into ours?

I'd take your RW - unfortunately we don't have one of those.

I'd be tempted to take Grealish, assuming he's improved since looking pretty average in the Championship last time we saw him, although we generally don't let players like that sully the white shirt (you've got John Terry sitting in the dugout, so you're clearly not worried about morals, reputation or that sort of thing).

Struggling to see any others that would improve us.

peter w

Quote from: Statto on November 10, 2020, 09:28:52 AM

I'd be tempted to take Grealish, assuming he's improved since looking pretty average in the Championship last time we saw him, although we generally don't let players like that sully the white shirt (you've got John Terry sitting in the dugout, so you're clearly not worried about morals, reputation or that sort of thing).

I think I answered that. Haven't seen loads of him but maybe Bryant (Bryan?). Not sure I'd have anyone else.

Statto

Quote from: peter w on November 10, 2020, 09:50:17 AM

I think I answered that. Haven't seen loads of him but maybe Bryant (Bryan?). Not sure I'd have anyone else.

Lol. Bryan isn't even our first choice LB anymore. We obviously know a fair bit about your LB - would say we're evenly matched in that position, as in most positions. Anguissa and Areola would walk into your team. Suspect Anderson will turn out to be better than Mings or Konsa too. Mitrovic is also better than Watkins but admittedly you've have to change tactics to get the best out of him.

Plodder

<<Mitrovic is also better than Watkins but admittedly you've have to change tactics to get the best out of him.>>

The more I see of both players, the more I am inclined to think that Watkins is better than Mitrovic, unfortunately for us.  Obviously Mitrovic's strength and heading ability considerably surpass the same attributes in Watkins and Mitrovic might be more dangerous in a less "technical" environment, but in the Premier League at the moment, both the strict refereeing of physical tussles and the current fashion for Barcelona style pass and move mean that pace and the ability to find space off the ball hold sway.  In these facets of the game, Watkins is streets ahead of Mitrovic - as his finishing at the moment - and make him a more effective attacker in the current circumstances.

Statto

Quote from: Plodder on November 10, 2020, 11:44:29 PM
Watkins is streets ahead of Mitrovic - as his finishing at the moment

Somewhat unfair to compare them purely over the last few months when Mitro has been off form. How do they compare over the last few years?

peter w

Quote from: Statto on November 10, 2020, 09:58:35 AM
Quote from: peter w on November 10, 2020, 09:50:17 AM

Lol. Bryan isn't even our first choice LB anymore. We obviously know a fair bit about your LB - would say we're evenly matched in that position, as in most positions. Anguissa and Areola would walk into your team. Suspect Anderson will turn out to be better than Mings or Konsa too. Mitrovic is also better than Watkins but admittedly you've have to change tactics to get the best out of him.

Areola? Your keeper? Better than Martinez? Right......

Anguissa? Ahead of MCGinn or Barkley???? Again, right.....

So, no, neither would walk into our team. Areola wouldn't even be in the bench now Heaton is fit. Mitrovic I do like but as you say he wouldn't fit into how we play so would be on the bench.

So, still, I wouldn't have any. You offer 2 inferior players to what we have whereas your argument was along the lines that you more or less match up to us man for man. Which is clearly ridiculous as you match up more with Albion than us.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2020, 12:22:28 AM
Quote from: Plodder on November 10, 2020, 11:44:29 PM
Watkins is streets ahead of Mitrovic - as his finishing at the moment

Somewhat unfair to compare them purely over the last few months when Mitro has been off form. How do they compare over the last few years?

If having Mitrovic at centre-forward rather than Watkins is a Tony Khan mistake, then maybe people are being a little harsh.

Statto

Quote from: peter w on November 11, 2020, 03:55:18 AM

You know nothing about these players, clearly. Which is fine, although if you're going to post on Fulham forum I thought you might at least Google them to stop making a fool of yourself. But no, sigh...

Good luck with your next relegation battle. Won't be long  :dft012:

peter w

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2020, 07:48:40 AM

You know nothing about these players, clearly. Which is fine, although if you're going to post on Fulham forum I thought you might at least Google them to stop making a fool of yourself. But no, sigh...

Commenting on a Villa player and Villa players on a Fulham site, though. I get it you're seeing it via Fulham tinted spectacles and me likewise with Villa. However, I'm pretty sure if we asked non Villa or Fulham fans to pick a joint 11 the team would resemble more the Villa team than one with many, if any, Fulham players.

As for your relegation comment. You may be right. We're not often involved in them as our history shows so hopefully it'll be a long time before we have that bridge to cross again. Good luck with yours.

toshes mate

Nobody knows who 'we' were in for in the last window apart from the ones who arrived.  And that, coupled with the arrival of the usual thought police who are too delicate to accept reasons why our recruitment team needs to be replaced in its entirety if we are to see a more rational and healthy approach to all matters contractual, kind of makes this thread typical of the genre - you are bound to bore someone.  A mad spending spree tends to impact things further down the line un;ess you know exactly what you are doing ...

Having said that I always accept what we have been given via transfer business and try to see how you can progress with them.  Parker has probably got a slightly better deal than Jokanovic had with far fewer prima donnas.  I don't covet Watkins or anyone else who isn't in our squad because it gets you nowhere, and I am pretty sure our current squad has a good chance of finishing above Villa by season's end and that is what matters most.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: alfie on November 10, 2020, 06:38:31 AM
I have no real idea, but I'm sure he was never going to come to us, regardless of what the cost would have been.

Ha Ha good one.I assume your a Brentford fan.Maybe you should have kept him.If you had any ambition you would have.

peter w

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 11, 2020, 10:12:06 AM

Ha Ha good one.I assume your a Brentford fan.Maybe you should have kept him.If you had any ambition you would have.

Lolz as the kids say. We do have ambition. Plenty of it. Hence we signed Watkins. Still laughable and one eyed for anyone to think there would be (m)any Fulham players in a combined team.

clarkey

The fact of the matter is that there was a striker available, we desperately need another striker and we failed to even get close to one.

We need someone who plays alongside Mitro or can replace him. We do not have that.Some of the obvious targets are still around.

We do not even have someone who can score from the spot.

What do people think of that old discussion matter: should we go for Danny Drinkwater.He is avaiable and will be cheap-ish. Might stop Parker putting Cav near the team for a while which would be a bonus.

Sting of the North

Quote from: clarkey on November 11, 2020, 03:28:48 PM
The fact of the matter is that there was a striker available, we desperately need another striker and we failed to even get close to one.

We need someone who plays alongside Mitro or can replace him. We do not have that.Some of the obvious targets are still around.

We do not even have someone who can score from the spot.

What do people think of that old discussion matter: should we go for Danny Drinkwater.He is avaiable and will be cheap-ish. Might stop Parker putting Cav near the team for a while which would be a bonus.

I know that there is a 99.9 % probability that you are just being a wum regarding the Ivan comment, but on the off chance that you just have absolutely no clue then allow me to inform you that Drinkwater is a central midfielder and would have very limited (if any) impact on Ivan's chances of playing. Central midfield is also the least of our worries, and Drinkwater has made no positive contributions on a football field for years now. It's a bad, bad idea. In my opinion.

peter w

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2020, 07:48:40 AM

Remind of the players that are better than Martinez and McGinn again?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54867591