watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham players and COVID vaccination

Started by FFCBadger, November 11, 2020, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCBadger

Does anyone know the clubs position on this?

Obviously, they're quite a way down the government list, but I'm sure this can get done privately if you have the cash...

MikeTheCubed

Would be interesting to see the club's position.

Personally think it would be crazy to administer such an unprecedented technology to football players given their relative physical fitness and the extremely low risk posed by the virus to the relevant age group.

It is also unlikely that the vaccine would be a one-off deal.

Statto

Certainly don't think there will be any going privately for a long time. Supply will be limited and all the sentiment seems very clearly to be that it should be going to those who need it first rather than just the wealthy.

It's a bit of a moot point because the risk to footballers is frankly negligible, so it would be pretty pointless.

FFCBadger

Precisely why I'm interested!

I understand any private access would be for people with VERY deep pockets like that Khans and if they chose not to get their teams vaccinated that would be interesting wouldn't it.

Obviously, for Fulham FC you could insert any elite/professional team or sport

MikeTheCubed

On a related note:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ticketmaster-covid-test-events-vaccine-b1721397.html

QuoteTicketmaster will ask people to prove they've had the coronavirus vaccine to get into sports events and concerts.

Drug company Pfizer announced earlier this week that early data shows their vaccine is 90 per cent effective raising hopes that venues will be able to start hosting events again in 2021.

Ticketmaster says it has been working on a post-pandemic plan that will use fans' phones to verify their vaccination status or confirm they have tested negative before an event.

The company says the plan, which is still in development, will be based on their own ticket app, third party health information firms and vaccine distribution providers.

After buying a ticket fans will need to prove they have been vaccinated or test negative 24 to 72 hours prior to the event, according to billboard.com.

The length of time a negative test would cover will be determined by local authorities, with fans testing in the window before the event.

The test results would then be delivered to a health pass company, such as CLEAR or IBM, and if they are negative or vaccinated the fan would be verified to Ticketmaster and issued event credentials.

If a fan tested positive or did not verify vaccination they would not be allowed access to the event.

I hope the club aren't working with Ticketmaster anymore...

toshes mate

The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, still to be licensed as safe and effective, has already sold eighty percent of its stock and yet it needs to be stored at -70 degrees Celsius. 

You can imagine what is going to happen when on just one leg of its journey from safe warehousing to clinical dispensary the critical temperature is breached.  Pharma is all about big money (just like solar and wind technology to counter climate change has been) despite all the reservations there must be about effectiveness of the end product in doing what it claims to be able to do.  This is all about being first with a product so you sell more of it to the suckers prepared to buy it.   

Money, Evil etc ...

Southcoastffc

On Radio 4 this morning there was discussion about the need/desirability of encouraging the public to be vaccinated (not for Covid specifically, but in general) and the 'expert' - whose name I didn't get - said that it was a very good idea for "VIPs and celebrities" to be seen to have a vaccination, thereby encouraging Joe Public to do so.   So, I'm assuming the answer to the OP is that PL footballers WILL be vaccinated.   Cue "It's the same the whole world over, ain't it all a bloomin' shame............"
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 12, 2020, 09:27:59 AM
On Radio 4 this morning there was discussion about the need/desirability of encouraging the public to be vaccinated (not for Covid specifically, but in general) and the 'expert' - whose name I didn't get - said that it was a very good idea for "VIPs and celebrities" to be seen to have a vaccination, thereby encouraging Joe Public to do so.   So, I'm assuming the answer to the OP is that PL footballers WILL be vaccinated.   Cue "It's the same the whole world over, ain't it all a bloomin' shame............"
They will be pretty lengthy celebrity videos for the Covid-19 vaccination too seeing as there is a required post-vaccination fifteen minute recovery time under supervision ... which will be repeated several days later for the second dose.

mrmicawbers

Looks like when we are allowed back to watch football we may have to be tested before we enter the stadium unless you can prove you have been vaccinated.The new test they are going to be using takes 15 minutes.I imagine the government would be in favour as you would get mass testing done too.

toshes mate

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 12, 2020, 10:20:18 AM
Looks like when we are allowed back to watch football we may have to be tested before we enter the stadium unless you can prove you have been vaccinated.The new test they are going to be using takes 15 minutes.I imagine the government would be in favour as you would get mass testing done too.
Well the expert opinion is sharply divided on mass testing unless and until there is a single test that confirms whether or not you have a Covid-19 infection at the time of the test the doubts remain.  Such a test does not exist and the UK Government has not released any data as to the reliability of any current test methods being currently used despite knowing that the number of false positives may still be far too high to make testing effective or accurate.  Meanwhile hospital admissions for respiratory infections are falling across the UK as a whole and excess deaths are lower than would normally occur.   Admission to stadia would be better served (and just as safe) if punters tossed a coin and called correctly.   We really have to learn to live alongside SARS-CoV-2 just as we have with all other coronaviruses and their mutations.     

mrmicawbers

Quote from: toshes mate on November 12, 2020, 10:46:04 AM
Well the expert opinion is sharply divided on mass testing unless and until there is a single test that confirms whether or not you have a Covid-19 infection at the time of the test the doubts remain.  Such a test does not exist and the UK Government has not released any data as to the reliability of any current test methods being currently used despite knowing that the number of false positives may still be far too high to make testing effective or accurate.  Meanwhile hospital admissions for respiratory infections are falling across the UK as a whole and excess deaths are lower than would normally occur.   Admission to stadia would be better served (and just as safe) if punters tossed a coin and called correctly.   We really have to learn to live alongside SARS-CoV-2 just as we have with all other coronaviruses and their mutations.     
I must have been reading some fake news.It would seem I have a much more positive outlook than you do which I'm happy to continue with.

toshes mate

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 12, 2020, 01:00:03 PM
I must have been reading some fake news.It would seem I have a much more positive outlook than you do which I'm happy to continue with.
It would seem that unlike you I haven't had a negative view of SARS-CoV-2 so please don't put words in my mouth.  I am happy you are feeling more positive.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: toshes mate on November 12, 2020, 01:34:03 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 12, 2020, 01:00:03 PM
It would seem that unlike you I haven't had a negative view of SARS-CoV-2 so please don't put words in my mouth.  I am happy you are feeling more positive.
I know you love a post but maybe should take a bit more time and read what other posters actually say.

filham

Obviously the most vulnerable have a priority but those most exposed together with those mostly likely to spread the virus should be up on top of the list. Remember there are people who just cannot avoid contact with others and put both themselves and others at risk.

So many people should be ahead of footballers in the vaccine queue.

FFCBadger

Quote from: filham on November 12, 2020, 04:54:46 PM
Obviously the most vulnerable have a priority but those most exposed together with those mostly likely to spread the virus should be up on top of the list. Remember there are people who just cannot avoid contact with others and put both themselves and others at risk.

It's the same as testing though, if you have the cash you can just go private and I'd imagine the same would be the case for the vaccine. Joe Rogan (biggest video podcaster on the planet for those happily in the dark ages) gets multiple tests per week and tests all his guests before the show so they can do non-masked live interviews. He can simply afford the test so he pays.

I think the vaccine is different though. There is a material, financial risk being taken if you've paid £xM for a player for a couple of years work but chose to expose them to a drug that will alter their DNA. The risk assessment they take on this is pretty relevant to me given the risk to the investment.

I couldn't give a squirt of pi$$ for the decisions taken by celebs though

Statto

Quote from: FFCBadger on November 12, 2020, 07:15:06 PM
Quote from: filham on November 12, 2020, 04:54:46 PM

It's the same as testing though, if you have the cash you can just go private and I'd imagine the same would be the case for the vaccine. Joe Rogan (biggest video podcaster on the planet for those happily in the dark ages) gets multiple tests per week and tests all his guests before the show so they can do non-masked live interviews. He can simply afford the test so he pays.

I think the vaccine is different though. There is a material, financial risk being taken if you've paid £xM for a player for a couple of years work but chose to expose them to a drug that will alter their DNA. The risk assessment they take on this is pretty relevant to me given the risk to the investment.

I couldn't give a squirt of pi$$ for the decisions taken by celebs though

But the tests are in nowhere near such short supply as the vaccine will be. As much vaccine than they can manufacture in the next year or more has already been purchased by national governments. By the time BUPA can get their hands on a batch it'll be 2022.

FFCBadger

BUPA!! Trust me my friend, if you know the right people you can get your hands on anything if your money is right and big pharma dont care who is paying. I guess whether we find out if the team get the shot or not is the question?

Statto

Quote from: FFCBadger on November 12, 2020, 08:13:21 PM
BUPA!! Trust me my friend, if you know the right people you can get your hands on anything if your money is right and big pharma dont care who is paying. I guess whether we find out if the team get the shot or not is the question?

If you're talking about the odd billionaire getting a dose of some dodgy Chinese or Russian vaccine on the black market then yes I agree. If you're talking about every middle class person who can afford £150 for a private test now being able to access the vaccine on a similar basis, no chance.

I think it highly unlikely that the Fulham team get the jab anytime soon but if they do, it'll be because the government believes there's some good reason to immunise elite sportsmen, not because Khan or the club pays for it.

toshes mate

Elon Musk, the Tesla and SpaceX entrepreneur and high-profile sceptic, wrote on Twitter that he took four rapid antigen tests yesterday and got a mixture of results back. "Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse."

Mass testing without further molecular level investigation and clinical assessment of results is largely futile if you really want to stem the tide of the infection.  I just hope they are gpoing to take much more care on vaccine development before it is released.   We really do need some truly competent scientists to do some serious talking to political leaders to stop the rot.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: toshes mate on November 14, 2020, 08:28:11 AM
Elon Musk, the Tesla and SpaceX entrepreneur and high-profile sceptic, wrote on Twitter that he took four rapid antigen tests yesterday and got a mixture of results back. "Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse."

Mass testing without further molecular level investigation and clinical assessment of results is largely futile if you really want to stem the tide of the infection.  I just hope they are gpoing to take much more care on vaccine development before it is released.   We really do need some truly competent scientists to do some serious talking to political leaders to stop the rot.

I'm sure Elon Musk knows exactly what's going on and it just throwing the proverbial dog a bone here.

Much of his investment over the last several years has been in the form of car technology, meanwhile certain international institutions are prophesising for a "utopian" future without cars, and (planned or not) are using the virus as a justification for their technocratic agendas.