watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (03/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 03, 2010, 06:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8177504/Fulham-goalkeeper-Mark-Schwarzer-signs-a-new-contract-until-2012-amid-interest-from-Arsenal.html?

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer signs a new contract until 2012 amid interest from Arsenal
Fulham have announced that goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, 38, has signed a contract extension, ahead of the trip to the club that wanted to sign him.

Staying on: Mark Schwazer has decided his future is at Craven Cottage and Fulham manager Mark Hughes is
delighted to keep hold of him
Photo: PA

The Australian was aware that Arsenal had made a bid during the summer but he has committed himself to Fulham until 2012 when he will be nearly 40.

Manuel Almunia's elbow injury has seen the Spaniard missing since September and it was understood that Arsenal could make a fresh approach for Schwarzer in the January window.

Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, said: "He was obviously very flattered by the interest. I think Mark was keeping his options open and he had every right to do that.

"But it was the case that he understood where we want to take the club. We are delighted as a club and, if we are to be successful in the future, we need a quality keeper, which Mark certainly is."

Hughes, who confirmed Arsenal's interest, admitted getting Schwarzer to commit to Fulham had become a priority.

He added: "It was a situation I walked into. Obviously, there was lots of talk and there had been contact, I think, between both clubs prior to myself walking through the door.

"It wasn't a situation that I wanted to develop because I've got a huge admiration for Mark and his ability as a goalkeeper. And if we're going to be successful in the future then we need that stability of a top-quality goalkeeper within our backline.

"So I made it really a priority to try to convince Mark that this was the right place for him. In terms of the environment that's created and the amount of player care that you get here, on and off the field, I think it stands comparison to any club.

"So he knew that if he did leave here, there were a lot of things that would have to be right and correct for him to feel it was the right decision.

Hughes, who has won only two league games since arriving to replace Roy Hodgson, confirmed he would be attempting to add to his squad in the January window, adding: "January is not ordinarily the best time to acquire players. But if we feel that it is the right acquisition and at the right level, we will try to get players in."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-boss-ponders-his-options-before-weekend-cl?

Arsenal boss ponders his options before weekend clash
Sami Nasri and Robin Van Persie give Arsene food for thought

Arsène Wenger should select from an unchanged squad for the home game with Fulham on Saturday, although Samir Nasri and Robin Van Persie remain concerns.

Nasri, who picked up a slight knee injury against Wigan on Tuesday, is expected to recover whilst Wenger is unsure whether Van Persie is ready to start in the Premier League.

"Nasri has got a knock from Tuesday night," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Thursday morning. "It is a knee problem but he should be alright. Apart from that, we do not have any fresh players injured.

"There are no other ins or out. Diaby and Vermaelen are not available. Fabregas (hamstring) is still injured so it will be a similar squad to the Aston Villa game.

"I will see how Robin recovers [before deciding whether to start him]. I rotate a bit from game to game at the moment. So I'll see. But we have quite a strong squad available."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/deflated/?

Deflated
Filed under: General — rich 
From the Guardian:

Do blame the messenger?
5.28pm:
BBC's David Bond tweets: Before today's WC vote, Blatter reminded FIFA executive comm members about "certain media" and "recent media coverage."

How Qatar won 2022 vote
4.59pm:
Qatar beat USA 14-8 in the fourth round of voting, but almost claimed it in the first round.

First round: Australia 1, Japan 3, USA 3, Korea Republic 4, Qatar 11
Second round: Japan 2, Korea 5, USA 5, Qatar 10 votes
Third round: Korea 5, USA 6, Qatar 11
Fourth round: USA 8, Qatar 14
Qatar win

How the 2018 voting went
4.57pm:
First round: England 2, Holland/Belgium 4, Spain/Portugal 7, Russia 9
Second round: Holland/Belgium 2, Spain/Portugal 7, Russia 13
Russia win

England got just 2 votes
4.55pm:
In the first round of voting, England got 2 votes, Holland/Belgium 4, Spain/Portugal 7 and Russia 9, Fifa have confirmed.

Media influence
4.52pm:
After much discussion about the British media's role hurting the 2018 bid. David Tiltman emails:

Here's a ranking of today's bidding countries according to where they appear on the current Press Freedom Index:

Netherlands (3)/Belgium (14)
Japan (12)
Australia (18)
England (19 as part of UK)
USA (20)
Spain (39)/Portugal (40)
South Korea (42)
Qatar (120)
Russia (140)

Interesting, given Fifa's issues with the press recently

Rats.   I was all set to take Stanley to 2018, then to the US for 2022.    France 2014 it is then.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/12/2/1850684/breaking-news-fulham-strike-a-new-deal-with-mark-schwarzer?

Breaking News: Fulham Strike a New Deal with Mark Schwarzer

Fulham have resigned keeper Mark Schwarzer to a contract extension, ending speculation that he may get transfered to Arsenal when the window opens in January.  No word on how much the contract is worth, but it will keep him at Craven Cottage through the 2011-2012 season.  This is an excellent and well-advised move by Mark Hughes, and will also end speculation on most transfer rumors of other keepers moving to Fulham in January.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223485

Fulham - Great News!
Mark Hughes had already stated that he was firmly in the camp that wanted Mark Schwarzer to stay at Craven Cottage and today he got his wish.

The Australian stopper, who`d previously been linked with a summer move to Arsenal and who hadn`t got his wish before the transfer window slammed shut, has put pen to paper on a new deal that will tie him to Craven Cottage for the next two seasons.

The thirty-eight year old spoke about his new deal remarking,

"I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months."

'The club, manager and team have all highlighted their desire to see me stay at the Cottage and, after successful negotiations, I can confirm that my future is with Fulham."

'Since I joined the club in 2008, we have enjoyed a great deal of success and I believe Mark Hughes and the team will build on this success over the forthcoming seasons and continue the club's progress. "

'I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club so far and I am now looking forward to many more.'

Thank goodness that one is finally settled!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223485#ixzz171ktiqIM

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/849231-mark-schwarzer-snubs-arsenal-advances-to-sign-new-fulham-deal?

Mark Schwarzer snubs Arsenal advances to sign new Fulham deal
Zoltan Gera has hailed Mark Schwarzer's decision to stay at Fulham after the goalkeeper signed a new contract - ending talk of him going to Arsenal.

Schwarzer looked certain to quit Craven Cottage after expressing a desire to join Saturday's Premier League opponents, who had more than one bid rejected for him in the summer transfer window.

But the 38-year-old Australia goalkeeper, whose previous deal expired next summer, has now committed himself to Fulham until the end of the 2011/12 season, with his new deal containing the option of a one-year extension.

And team-mate Gera said: 'He's a top-class keeper, not just in this country but all over the world.

'We're so happy to have him and we're happy to play with him and of course it's great to keep him here.'

Keeper Schwarzer said: 'I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months.

'I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club so far and I am now looking forward to many more.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/849231-mark-schwarzer-snubs-arsenal-advances-to-sign-new-fulham-deal#ixzz171lGWSWn

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/schwarzer-agrees-new-fulham-deal-1295491?

Schwarzer agrees new Fulham deal

Mark Schwarzer's future at Fulham has finally been sorted with the goalkeeper agreeing a new deal with the London club.

The 38-year old Australian international was seeking a move away from Craven Cottage, preferably to a club like Arsenal who compete in the Champions League, but he has decided to remain with Fulham in what is a major boost for the club.

Schwarzer signed a fresh contract this week and Cottagers boss Mark Hughes was clearly delighted he opted not to join this weekend's opponents, the Gunners.

"I think it's always been there (Arsenal interest). But we've obviously talked at length with Mark and made it quite clear that we want him to be here and thankfully that's going to happen," Hughes said.

"He understood it was an opportunity and he wanted to investigate it. Mark was keeping his options open and he had every right to do that.

"It wasn't possible to allow it to happen and we were in a position to do that. He was obviously very flattered, I think, by the interest.

"But he understands what we provide here. I think now it's all concluded he's absolutely happy and we can all move on."

Schwarzer added: "I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation.

"I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club and I am now looking forward to many more."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-claimed-Arsenal-still-wanted-to-sign-Mark-Schwarzer-right-up-to-the-moment-the-Aussie-keeper-penned-a-new-deal-at-Craven-Cottage-article643047.html

Fulham win Schwarzer war

Mark Hughes claimed Arsenal still wanted to sign Mark Schwarzer until the Aussie keeper penned a new deal at Fulham yesterday.

The Gunners failed with two bids for Schwarzer over the summer and the 38-year-old handed in a transfer request.

But before Fulham travel to the Emirates to face Arsenal tomorrow, Hughes said Schwarzer had been tempted before the Craven Cottage club finally convinced him to stay.

Asked if Arsenal had still wanted his goalkeeper, the Craven Cottage boss said: "I think it's always been there. But we've obviously talked at length with Mark and made it quite clear that we want him to be here and thankfully that's going to happen.

"He understood it was an opportunity and he wanted to investigate it. Mark was keeping his options open and he had every right to do that.

"It wasn't possible to allow it to happen and we were in a position to do that. He was obviously very flattered, I think, by the interest.

"But he understands what we provide here. I think now it's all concluded he's absolutely happy and we can all move on."

Schwarzer, who would have been out of contract this summer, said: "I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation."

"I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club and I am now looking forward to many more."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-claimed-Arsenal-still-wanted-to-sign-Mark-Schwarzer-right-up-to-the-moment-the-Aussie-keeper-penned-a-new-deal-at-Craven-Cottage-article643047.html#ixzz171m9J8Ny

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Hughes-hopes-for-good-result-at-Arsenal.aspx

HUGHES HOPES FOR GOOD RESULT AT ARSENAL

Fulham will be lifted, by the news that Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has signed a new contract, ahead of their trip to North London in a game that they will be desperate to win to keep them out of the relegation zone.

It could also be a good time to play Wenger's side, which has conceded six goals in their last three league games.

Newcastle founded their 1-0 win over Arsenal in November on a bombardment of aerial balls that put Fabianski under pressure and the former Manchester City boss has refused to rule out using a similar tactic.

"We feel that we have strengths that we intend to play to because if you don't do that then you have got no chance. We have things that can do as a group that will cause Arsenal problems but I don't really want to flag those up because they might be reading this," he said.

"We always look at opposing teams weaknesses and Arsenal will be no different. There are things in the way they play that give us encouragement and we try to emphasise that to the team leading up to the game."

Hughes cut a sorry figure after suffering a 4-1 defeat to his former employers Manchester City two weeks ago but he believes that Saturday's 1-1 draw with Birmingham was a step in the right direction.

He added: "I think it was a good performance and we totally dominated the second half especially in terms of chances created. The possession stats were something like 60-40 in our favour but as I have said before we lacked that cutting edge."

"We got caught in by a good break and had chances to correct the errors made but failed to take them. we created chances but couldn't get the full three points but performance wise it was decent."

Fulham have been sucked into the relegation dogfight thanks largely to a number of injuries effecting their selection of strikers. Bobby Zamora suffered a broken leg earlier in the season, Andy Johnson has had a catalogue of problems hindering his form and most recently Mousa Dembele was crocked on international duty with Belgium.

But Hughes is confident that his fine record against Wenger will stand him in good stead for the weekend.

"It's horses for courses and you work with the players that you have at any given time and what you feel can affect Arsenal's way of playing," he said.

"Over the years I think I have done pretty well against them and I have caused them problems, cost them points and won in cup competitions and hopefully that will be the case at the weekend."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/9252354.stm

Lawro's prediction

Arsenal v Fulham

Arsenal must be frustrating for their fans right now because just as they seem to put a decent run together, they then fall apart. It must be a lack of mental toughness.

But they have chalked up two wins since their defeat to Tottenham two weeks ago and Fulham have struggled on the road a bit too. It is interesting that Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer has signed a new deal to stay at Craven Cottage this week, when he had been linked with Arsenal for so long.
Prediction: 2-1

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943701/Arsenal-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Arsenal v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Arsenal and Fulham at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday Dec 4 2010, kick-off 15:00 GMT.

Emirates Stadium
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT
TV: BBC Match of the Day.

Arsenal (Probable, 4-2-3-1): Fabianski; Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy; Song, Wilshere; Walcott, Nasri, Arshavin; Chamakh.
Fulham (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Kelly; Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey; Gera; Kamara.
Referee: Chris Foy. Matches: 11. R0 Y24.

Tale of the game
Any hopes Fulham have of arresting their decline and, in the process, winning away for the first time in 26 games, appear unlikely.

The fact is Fulham have NEVER won at Arsenal in the League, in 23 visits going back to their first visit in 1914.

And they have taken just three points from three draws while losing the remaining 20. Mark Hughes will take some solace from the fact that two of the draws have come in the Premier League, most recently in February 2009.

Last season, in what proved to be Roy Hodgson's last League game in charge of Fulham, they lost 4-0 at the Emirates.

Arsenal have won three and lost two of their last five in the League but will not need reminded that both defeats came at the Emirates, where they have lost a total of three games already.

Indeed, those defeats, against Newcastle and Spurs represented the first time they have lost back-to-back League games at home since December 1997.

A third defeat would represent their worst home sequence of losses for more than 33 years. In February and March 1977 they lost to West Ham, Ipswich and West Brom at Highbury.

But they will be boosted by Tuesday's 2-0 win over Wigan in the Carling Cup quarter-final, a game which featured Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott, and the pair could be considered against Fulham.

Samir Nasri should be fit after picking up a minor knee problem after coming on as second-half substitute against Wigan.

They are still without Cesc Fabregas, Abou Diaby, Manuel Almunia, Thomas Vermaelen and Emmanuel Frimpong.

Fulham, who last won away at Portsmouth, in August 2009, have taken two points from a possible 15, scoring just three goals in their last five games.

They test Carlos Salcido, who was injured early in the 1-1 draw with Birmingham, and Stephen Kelly and John Pantsil are on standby. Andrew Johnson is also a doubt, while Rafik Halliche, Moussa Dembele, Philippe Senderos, Bobby Zamora and Fredrik Stoor are missing.

Last season: Fulham 0 Arsenal 1, Arsenal 4 Fulham 0.

Stat of the game: Fulham have failed to score in their last three meetings, home and away, with Arsenal.

Betting tip: Go on, be different: dare to bet against Arsenal. A 1-0 away win is 22-1.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6549375/Hughes-Schwarzer-can-be-coach?

Hughes: Schwarzer can be coach

Mark Hughes will consider handing Mark Schwarzer a coaching role at Fulham after the goalkeeper signed a new two-year contract.

On Thursday, Schwarzer gave up on his dream of joining Arsenal in the January transfer window, choosing instead to be part of Hughes' Craven Cottage revolution.

The 38-year-old, whose previous deal expired at the end of the season, had reportedly been offered a player-coach role by the Gunners, who saw more than one bid rejected for the Australia star in the summer.

Hughes would also be willing to give Schwarzer his big break in coaching, saying: "If that's something he wants to pursue in the future, I would certainly be receptive to enabling him to possibly start his coaching career and see how it develops.

"That would be an option for him, I'm sure."

Schwarzer looked certain to leave after expressing a desire to join Arsenal, and his U-turn speaks volumes for new manager Hughes' powers of persuasion.

Revealing the nature of their talks, Hughes said: "I just sat him down and said, for myself and for Fulham to be successful, I need Mark Schwarzer here.

"That's basically it, in black and white terms.

"He's an outstanding keeper and has been for many, many years.

"He understands the Premier League, he understands what it's all about and we're a better team when Mark Schwarzer's playing.

"It was very easy from my point of view to construct an argument because it's there for everybody to see."

Schwarzer himself told his club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com: "Since I joined the club in 2008, we have enjoyed a great deal of success and I believe Mark Hughes and the team will build on this success over the forthcoming seasons and continue the club's progress."

Schwarzer will be almost 40 when his new deal expires - although there is an option for a one-year extension - and Hughes feels he could see out his career at Fulham.

"He's a very fit guy and we would like to think he would," he said.

"Obviously, we've given him a decent length in terms of his contract and he could go on for many more years, even further than he's going to be contracted for.

"So that's credit to him and that's why he's a good professional - he's looked after himself and, if you do that in football terms, then you can be rewarded into your thirties and forties as a keeper."

Conspiracy theorists will point to the fact Schwarzer's deal was agreed 48 hours before Saturday's Premier League game against the club that courted him.

Hughes laughed off suggestions that was a factor, saying: "As if.

"We're not as clever as that. But it's a nice coincidence, put it that way."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent3-HolidayCourses.aspx?

Holiday Course Offer

Buy one get one free on holiday courses today

In today's great Christmas offer, we are giving you a very special gift with our fantastic buy one get one FREE Holiday Course offer for our Christmas courses.*

Our Christmas Holiday Courses take place throughout Hammersmith & Fulham, Kingston and Surrey from Monday 13th December to Wednesday 5th January.

The courses are for 3 – 14-year-old boys and girls, and it doesn't matter if you are the next Brede Hangeland or Mark Schwarzer or have never kicked a ball before as our courses cater for all abilities. Our Holiday Courses will help you work on your skills and techniques and give you the opportunity to play in tournaments, make new friends and have a lot of fun too.

Furthermore, anyone that books on a 4 or 5 day course in advance will receive two free tickets to the Fulham v West Brom match on Tuesday 4th January (Kick-Off 8pm)

To take advantage of this great offer, call 0870 442 5432 between 9am - 5:30pm today. Outside of these times, fill out the below form and a member of our Foundation team will contact you to confirm your booking.

*Offer on 4 or 5 day booking only.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent3-HolidayCourses.aspx?#ixzz172F3a1NF

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/03/2240979/heres-what-you-could-have-had-how-arsenals-fabianski-and?

Here's what you could have had - How Arsenal's Fabianski and Koscielny compare to Fulham's Schwarzer and Hangeland
Spotlight turns on Wenger's transfer decisions as Cottagers come visiting

It's frustrating when you don't get what you want, and Arsene Wenger should know. The Frenchman was desperate to bring Fulham pair Mark Schwarzer and Brede Hangeland to Arsenal to plug two perenniel trouble spots on his side during the summer.

But neither move happened and on Saturday he comes face-to-face with his transfer targets as his Gunners side welcome the Cottagers to the Emirates, while in their places are two much maligned players in Lukasz Fabianski and Laurent Koscielny. Both have flattered to deceive and have been the subject of fans' frustrations as Wenger's side have fallen to some shocking results this season.

The centre-back joined from Lorient for £8 million while the Polish shot-stopper has been at Arsenal since 2007 but has found chances limited. However, injury to Manuel Almunia means the 25-year-old has been thrust into the first-team.

Yet after settling on his two back-up options, Wenger has seen his team fare remarkably similarly in defence to the Cottagers. Arsenal have managed six clean sheets to Fulham's five, and Mark Hughes' team have conceded just one more goal in the league this season than the Gunners' total of 16 (scoring has been the Cottagers' real problem).

But how have the individuals fared? Goal.com UK tots up the ratings.

Schwarzer v Fabianski - Last five games

Opponent   Clean Sheet   Rating         Opponent   Clean Sheet   Rating   
Birmingham   No   6.5         Aston Villa   No   6.5   
Man City   No   6.5         Braga   No   6   
Newcastle   Yes   7.5         Tottenham   No   6   
Chelsea   No   8         Everton   No   7.5   
Aston Villa   No   6.5         Wolves   Yes   8   

TOTAL/AVG   1   7.0         TOTAL/AVG   1   6.8   

The Arsenal No.1 spot has been a problem for Wenger since the retirement of David Seaman, but his chances of landing the Big Australian were slim in the summer, with Hughes admitting at the end of August that there was "no chance" of Schwarzer leaving, confirmed this week when he committed to a new deal.

The 38-year-old has been far busier than his Arsenal counterpart as the Cottagers struggle at the wrong end of the table, but has been in more impressive form, averaging a rating of 7 over the last five games, winning Man of the Match once. Fabianksi is just behind, also with one man of the match award, but with a rating of 6.8.

Hangeland v Koscielny - Last five games

Opponent   Clean Sheet   Rating         Opponent   Clean Sheet   Rating   
Birmingham   No   6.5         Wigan   No   7   
Man City   No   5.5         Aston Villa   No   6.5   
Newcastle   Yes   7.5         Tottenham   No   5   
Chelsea   No   7         Newcastle   No   5   
Aston Villa   No   7         West Ham   Yes   6   

TOTAL/AVG   1   6.7         TOTAL/AVG   2   5.9   

To be fair alarm bells should have been ringing in Wenger's head when Koscielny arrived from Lorient, claiming: "I don't have the technical genius of Cristiano Ronaldo or the physical strength of Nemanja Vidic, but I fight hard with my own qualities."

Norwegian Hangeland has continuted to impress at Craven Cottage, though, averaging a rating of 6.7 while the Frenchman has struggled, with an average of 5.9, including one Flop of the Match award.

So, both the Fulham men have averaged higher ratings than their Arsenal counterparts, perhaps indicating that Wenger was right to target them. Would the Gunners have fared better this season with the Cottagers pair in their ranks? Quite possibly, especially with the defence on the end of some finger pointing after home defeats to Newcastle and Tottenham.

On Saturday, Hangeland and Schwarzer could well add to Wenger's woe and remind him what he could have had.

WhiteJC

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk:80/arsenal/arsenal/arsenal_v_fulham_will_mark_schwarzer_wish_he_had_changed_sides_1_743565?

Arsenal v Fulham: Will Mark Schwarzer wish he had changed sides?

FULHAM were the undoubted success story of English football last season, when the only Cottagers' fans Roy Hodgson was unable to endear himself to were those suffering from vertigo.

An unforgettable run to the Europa League final combined with a respectable mid table Premier League finish was some feat considering the limited resources at the club's disposal.

Perhaps its greatest resource was indeed manager Hodgson, however, and his considerable experience that saw previous relegation candidates become established in the top half of the table saw him lured away by Liverpool in the summer.

That left a tempting vacancy for an unemployed manager, and for Mark Hughes Craven Cottage fitted the bill nicely after his tumultuous reign at Manchester City had come to a bitter end the previous autumn.

Hughes has, however, failed to inspire, with his side managing only two victories all season both of which came at home. Indeed away matches are a major issue for Fulham, as they simply cannot win on the road, managing it only once away in the league last season, against eventual relegation victims Portsmouth.

With no European adventures this time around to distract from Fulham's remarkable susceptibility to home-sicknesses, their away form has once again become a major cause for concern.

It is a concern that may well become synonymous with Fulham if their recent dismal form is not turned around. With low scoring draws, a derby defeat at Chelsea and a hammering at home to Manchester City in recent weeks, the prospect of this weekend's trip to the Emirates does not bode well for Hughes's side.

Added to this is the fact Fulham have never won at Arsenal, meaning the chances of points returning to the Cottage are likely to be as low as the temperature will be on Saturday.

Clint Dempsey, Danny Murphy and Simon Davies are still the mainstays of the side, although Brede Hangeland and Mark Schwarzer, who were often impassable during last season's European run, have failed to hit the imperious form of last season that attracted the interest of Arsenal over the summer.

The pair could be in for a torrid time of it this weekend, and may well wish they were in the home dressing room come 5pm on Saturday.

Prediction: Arsenal 4 Fulham 0

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/6549602/Arsenal-v-Fulham-preview?

Arsenal v Fulham preview

Team news for Saturday afternoon's Premier League clash between Arsenal and Fulham at the Emirates Stadium.

Andrew Johnson is set to return to the Fulham squad for Saturday's Premier League game at Arsenal.

Striker Johnson sat out last weekend's 1-1 draw against Birmingham with a hamstring strain, having made his first start since his 10-month injury lay-off in the previous game against Manchester City.

Carlos Salcido is out after suffering a recurrence of an ankle problem at St Andrew's, while Mousa Dembele (ankle), Bobby Zamora, Rafik Halliche (thigh), Frederik Stoor (groin) and Phillipe Senderos (Achilles) are also unavailable.

Arsenal (from): Will appear here...

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Kelly, Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Duff, Dempsey, Murphy, Davies, Gera, Etuhu, A Johnson, E Johnson, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kamara, Greening, Briggs, Dikgacoi, Kelly.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335299/Arsenal-v-FULHAM-Andrew-Johnson-ready-return-boost-Mark-Hughes-attack.html?

Arsenal v FULHAM: Andrew Johnson ready for return to boost Mark Hughes' attack

Andrew Johnson is set to return to the Fulham squad for their Barclays Premier League game at Arsenal.

Striker Johnson sat out last weekend's 1-1 draw against Birmingham with a hamstring strain, having made his first start since his 10-month injury lay-off in the previous game against Manchester City.

Rusty: Andy Johnson (top) is yet to score this season for the Cottagers after returning from a long lay-off

Carlos Salcido is out after suffering a recurrence of an ankle problem at St Andrews, while Mousa Dembele (ankle), Bobby Zamora, Rafik Halliche (thigh), Frederik Stoor (groin) and Phillipe Senderos (Achilles) are also unavailable.

Team (from): Schwarzer, Kelly, Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Duff, Dempsey, Murphy, Davies, Gera, Etuhu, A Johnson, E Johnson, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kamara, Greening, Briggs, Dikgacoi, Kelly.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335299/Arsenal-v-FULHAM-Andrew-Johnson-ready-return-boost-Mark-Hughes-attack.html#ixzz172wGgM3c

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/12/arsenal-v-fulham-fulham-target-historic-win-at-the-emirates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

Arsenal v Fulham: Fulham target historic win at the Emirates

Fulham have never won on Arsenal soil but they will never get a better chance to rectify that stat than this weekend. Arsenal are only two points off the Premier League summit but they have already lost three games at home and Mark Hughes will be keen to add to Arsene Wenger's woes.

The Gunners got back to winning ways last Saturday against Aston Villa and sealed their place in the semi-final of the Carling Cup with victory over Wigan in midweek. However, their home form will be a concern for the Wenger. Arsenal have not lost more than three games at home in a season for more than a decade. Yet here we are at the start of December and the Gunners are already three down.

Fortunately for Arsenal they couldn't have hand picked a better team to face right now, such is Fulham's dreadful record in north London. But Fulham are in dire need of points. They currently sit one point off the drop zone, are yet to win away this season and haven't won in five attempts. The Cottagers are in real danger of slipping into the bottom three.

Despite losing to the likes of West Brom, Newcastle United and Tottenham, the Panel strongly believes the Gunners will get back to winning ways here.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/47654/Gunners_ready_for_London_derby.aspx?

Gunners ready for London derby

Premier League high-flyers Arsenal welcome Fulham to the Emirates Stadium on Saturday afternoon looking for another crucial three points that will keep them in the hunt at the summit.

The Gunners currently sit in third place, just two points adrift of leaders Manchester United after 15 games.

Arsene Wenger will be looking to Marouane Chamakh, Samir Nasri, Andrey Arshavin and the returning Robin van Persie to come up with the goods in the London derby, but Mark Hughes' visitors should not go down without a fight.

The Cottagers are desperately seeking a win that will budge them away from the drop zone after a poor month of November.

Three draws and two defeats from five outings sees Fulham sitting one place ahead of third from bottom Wigan Athletic and their situation is as bleak as the country's current cold snap.

But Hughes will place his faith in Clint Dempsey, Danny Murphy and Diomansy Kamara as they search for an unexpected win.

Arsenal played eight games in all competition in November, winning four and losing four, a record that will hardly delight their head coach.

Disappointing league setbacks to Newcastle United (1-0) and fierce north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur (3-2) on home soil slightly derailed their title charge, but all three points here would do them the world of good.

But they must do so with talisman Cesc Fabregas, who is still troubled by a hamstring problem.

Abou Diaby (ankle), Manuel Almunia (elbow) and Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles) miss out while Emmanuel Eboue (knee ligament) should feature after coming through the midweek Carling Cup victory over Wigan Athletic.

Fulham strikers Andrew Johnson (hamstring), Bobby Zamora (broken ankle) and Mousa Dembele (ankle) all miss out this weekend.

Philippe Senderos (Achilles) is a long-term absentee, but Mexico full-back Carlos Salcido should be available after an ankle problem.

On the final day of last term, the two sides met at the Emirates and a ruthless Gunners outfit claimed end of season bragging rights with a 4-0 success.

Arshavin and van Persie fired the hosts into a comfortable lead and Chris Baird's unfortunate own goal put Wenger's boys out of sight at the interval.

With just six minutes remaining, Carlos Vela added the gloss as they ended the 2009/10 campaign in some style.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2010/12/premiership/wenger-turns-to-city-keeper-following-schwarzer-snub?

WENGER TURNS TO CITY KEEPER FOLLOWING SCHWARZER SNUB

Any hope Arsene Wenger had of signing goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has now been extinguished, after the Australian extended his contract at Craven Cottage until 2012.

Wenger may now turn his attention to City's out-of-favour shot stopper Shay Given instead.

Schwarzer contract was due to expire next summer, and it had been suggested that Arsenal would wait until July in order to sign the goalkeeper on a free transfer.

However, all such rumours have now been quashed, with Schwarzer set to see out his career with Mark Hughes' side; at 38, a two year contract extension will likely take him to the end of his playing days.

The Gunners' interest in Schwarzer has been well documented in recent weeks, yet the Emirates outfit must now look elsewhere in their search for a goalkeeper.

However, Wenger declared only this week that he will not be making any January signings, putting any move for Manchester City keeper Shay Given in doubt. Though, a keeper of Given's stature is unlikely to wait until next summer for first team football and that may give Wenger a much-needed push.

Schwarzer will travel to the Emirates this weekend to face the North London outfit and may want to show Wenger what he's missed out on. Securing the keepers contract before the trip may have been wise work from boss Hughes, worried about any influence visiting the club may have had.

So, for Arsenal fans, you're probably faced with another six months of Lukasz Fabianski or Manuel Almunia in goal. Do you guys think the club still mount a serious title challenge?