watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Sack cloth and ashes

Started by bog, December 01, 2020, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Older fofers like me may recall Kenneth Wolstenholme on Sportsnight back in 1958 saying that he thought Johnny Haynes should be dropped for the up and coming friendly with Russia. He wasn't and the Maestro scored 3 in a 5-0 win. The following programme showed Mr Wolstenholme sat in chair covered in sack cloth and ashes as penance for his misguided recommendation.   :005: 

Fast forward 62 years and I am sat the same.  :dft001: I wish to apologise for my emotional outburst pre-match last night. I railed wildly on about the team selected not far from enlisting in the 'Parker out' brigade.

In the seven day gap Scott had obviously really worked with the squad.  I really wanted Scott to sort the club out when he took over and although one game aint a season, there was a massive improvement last night. Well done Scott you shut me right up.  :54:  049:gif

092.gif   

Fernhurst

Not many of us about who remembered that incident, but I did Captain. Do not think Wolstenholme ever liked Fulham , another as of today who's style very much favoured the bigger more glamorous teams. It was great last night to hear the commentary duo "suck back" after we went 2-0 up.
Regarding your rant........ You are forgiven.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

On the BBC this morn Fernhurst, there was no mention of last night's matches. Quite righty a 7-45 spotlight on the FA Cup draw then at 8-40 Joe Wicks talking about these listed this year for SPOTY. Not even the scores on the doors. I wonder if a certain United had played if this would have been the same?  :022: 

Also, yes, Wolstenholme did not like Fulham. I have no idea why. There was a lot of North-South divide back then. Northern players were better than Southern. But no one was even near Johnny Haynes. Jimmy Greaves went on record saying Johnny Haynes was a better player than Bobby Charlton. I'm getting all nostalgic now....  :dft001:   049:gif

092.gif

Peabody

bog, you enlist in that lot and I will go awol from the Old Sods.

bog

Quote from: Peabody on December 01, 2020, 12:21:53 PM

No chance Peabody. Sorry, it was a rush of thinning blood to me empty 'ed. We need all we can get in the Old Sods. We got dressed in freezing bedrooms. We ate bread and dripping. We know how many half crowns in a £. We remember when the 9inch b&w tv screens would quiver whenever a car drove past. I am an Old Sods forever.  :54:

092.gif   

filham

Bog, don't even think of joining that Parker out brigade, there could be temptation coming up after the City and Liverpool matches but Parker is not doing badly, we have seen a lot worse over the years.
I have to admit that I was critical of him last night before the match, I just couldn't accept Cav. starting again with Cairney and Mitro not playing.
Parker got it right though.

keithh

We had a special chisel for the ice on the inside of the bedroom single glazed windows. I still remember when my nan died as I got her small rug to put on the floorboards in my bedroom; even boasted of the luxury at school!

LittleErn

I'd like to join the Old Sods Army please. I can remember watching Haynes, Jezzard and Robson. If only Tommy Trinder had paid whatever Greavesie cost to replace Beddie when he got injured, we would have won the old 1st Division easy: Haynes and Greaves was a perfect fit. Half a crown was my weeks pocket money and I watched Oxford sink in the 1951(?) boat race on a black & white 9 inch TV with a 12 inch magnifying glass in front of it! Happy Days.

bog

Quote from: filham on December 01, 2020, 06:14:56 PM
Bog, don't even think of joining that Parker out brigade, there could be temptation coming up after the City and Liverpool matches but Parker is not doing badly, we have seen a lot worse over the years.
I have to admit that I was critical of him last night before the match, I just couldn't accept Cav. starting again with Cairney and Mitro not playing.
Parker got it right though.

I am with you filham before last night's game with the selection. Scott shut me and I am so glad he did!!  Has to be the same starting line up at City.  :54:

092.gif

bog

You're in LittleErn! I have always wondered if we knew of Jimmy before he went to that lot. He with Johnny was unplayable. I was also sorry to see Roy Dwight leave. That front 5 of Steven, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes Mitten I will never forget. :54:

092.gif

ron

I don't remember the sackcloth and ashes incident, but well remember that for a supposedly neutral commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme was a rabid Spurs fan, particularly as they developed into the double winning side and cup winners 60/61 and 61/62, and gloating over that 13-2 win over Crewe in the cup replay.

bog

Quote from: ron on December 01, 2020, 09:30:08 PM
I don't remember the sackcloth and ashes incident, but well remember that for a supposedly neutral commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme was a rabid Spurs fan, particularly as they developed into the double winning side and cup winners 60/61 and 61/62, and gloating over that 13-2 win over Crewe in the cup replay.

As an aside I recall they made much of Crewe arriving on platform 13 and leaving from number 2.   Crewe nearly won the first game when right at the end at 2-2 Bert Llewellyn had shot stick in the mud on the goal line. How different the record books would have been.

092.gif 

St Eve

Quote from: bog on December 01, 2020, 01:22:30 PM

No chance Peabody. Sorry, it was a rush of thinning blood to me empty 'ed. We need all we can get in the Old Sods. We got dressed in freezing bedrooms. We ate bread and dripping. We know how many half crowns in a £. We remember when the 9inch b&w tv screens would quiver whenever a car drove past. I am an Old Sods forever.  :54:

092.gif   
And there is nothing wrong with bread and dripping

Peabody

Quote from: bog on December 01, 2020, 09:07:06 PM
You're in LittleErn! I have always wondered if we knew of Jimmy before he went to that lot. He with Johnny was unplayable. I was also sorry to see Roy Dwight leave. That front 5 of Steven, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes Mitten I will never forget. :54:

You could have the Private Godfrey sign Ern.

bog

Quote from: Peabody on December 03, 2020, 02:32:47 AM

LittleErn has my full backing. Mind you I think the post of Private Godfrey has been filled with honours by Fernhurst.  :54:

092.gif

filham

I wonder if there is room for one more in Old Sods Army , I could bring with me a single up side down stripe from my 2 years national service in the RAF   C 1957.

bog

Quote from: filham on December 03, 2020, 10:32:14 AM
I wonder if there is room for one more in Old Sods Army , I could bring with me a single up side down stripe from my 2 years national service in the RAF   C 1957.

There is no limit to those who join The Old Sod's Army filham. Sounds like you outrank me! I missed national service.

092.gif

ron

Tempus fugit......by stealth it turns us all into Old Sods....... 092.gif

Peabody

Quote from: bog on December 03, 2020, 09:09:09 AM
Quote from: Peabody on December 03, 2020, 02:32:47 AM

LittleErn has my full backing. Mind you I think the post of Private Godfrey has been filled with honours by Fernhurst.  :54:

092.gif
I meant to say Private Walker

bog

Quote from: St Eve on December 02, 2020, 10:08:02 PM
Quote from: bog on December 01, 2020, 01:22:30 PM

092.gif   
And there is nothing wrong with bread and dripping

After my wife served up some lamb last week and I managed to scrape some off the cooking tray. On white bread it was wonderful, those brown bits....aaah.... :dft011: