watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Still buzzing, who can remember the last time

Started by fulhamben, December 01, 2020, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

That we went an entire game without the defence or midfield doing something suicidal that did or should have led to a goal. I genuinely can not remember the last time that we looked that organised at the back. Even in the brom game we gifted them at least one chance that they should have scored from. And yes I know Leicester scored, but it was a good goal that wasn't down to poor defending imo. Could we have done more, of course but was it a goal of our own making, certainly not. Teams will score goals, but if we can reduce the goals down to those that aren't of our own making, then the future is bright. I'm actually looking forward to the city game. And we should absolutely spank them as they are a mid table team ( only joking, im expecting a spanking)
And my guess for the last really solid display was the millwall game, but that was probably due to the fact they never touched the ball as opposed to good defending. 
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jim©

People keep having a go at Parker, but you can understand his frustration when, after training all week and putting plans in place, we go one down from utterly preventable goals. That "understanding and nous" that he's kept on about was finally evident last night, when Tosin decided to pump the ball long when put under pressure after 2 or 3 minutes.
It must destroy confidence in those around you when those mistakes keep happening too. As you say, teams will score goals (and no doubt we'll disect them as fans do) but as long as we're not gifting goals anymore, we'll compete.

wolfie

I mean i dont like parker, more so from his playing days. I wasnt happy when he was hired but at no point have i jumped on the parker our bandwagon. He has been making the team his own and i would say his training and tactics have been spot on most weeks. We had a tricky transfer window and its been a tricky year. With a very young team he is pulling off great performances mostly, might not get results but yesterday showed that they will come if we stick at it

Craven Mad

I'm pleased to see that we weren't the team mindlessly passing the ball about without threatening.

Recent performances suggests that Parker had realised that it's better to win with 30% possession than lose with 60% possession.

Hopefully the performances become more consistent, as my gripe with Parker has been the inconsistency. Occasionally tactically brilliant (last night, the playoff finals or the second half of most of our recent games) but more often toothless and lacking structure...

If Scott stays, the owners better put in the funds for a proper attack. A quick striker and a right winger are a must.

Abbotsbury White

When you think the 1st 3 games we conceded 10 goals and 2 of these teams were not deemed as good as say Leicester things were looking a tad bleak, since then and I'd say the Sheffield U game there has been a small improvement each game, this coincides with the introduction and settling in of the new defenders, since Villa tonked us at home we have played 7 and conceded just 9 ok not perfect but boy so much improved, in fact if the last 2 missed penalties had gone in our goal difference over these 7 games would in fact be +1, and I believe goal difference really does tell a tale, large minus figures usually will indicate teams to be relegated. I think the credit for that should go to The manager, the players themselves and the recruitment team, credit where it's due, and as others have said further testing of our new defence can be expected especially the next 2
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I still am enjoying the final whistle moment from last night but let's be honest every team needs its share of luck and last night we had it early on. Had either that post and then crossbar shot gone in we would have as usual been one down against a 'quality ' team and chasing the game. The important thing was to take advantage which we did and confidence grew.

toshes mate

Quote from: Craven Mad on December 01, 2020, 01:14:55 PM
I'm pleased to see that we weren't the team mindlessly passing the ball about without threatening.

Recent performances suggests that Parker had realised that it's better to win with 30% possession than lose with 60% possession.

Hopefully the performances become more consistent, as my gripe with Parker has been the inconsistency. Occasionally tactically brilliant (last night, the playoff finals or the second half of most of our recent games) but more often toothless and lacking structure...

If Scott stays, the owners better put in the funds for a proper attack. A quick striker and a right winger are a must.
I concur with you as last night was all about absorbing pressure with the anticipation of possession being lost and fast counters becoming possible.  Naturally that is the opposite of much of the work that Parker has 'appeared' to do in the past, but I do believe the Everton game was the straw that broke the camel's back.  That was a game of early Xmas presents to the visitors caused by trying to force the game rather than reading it, anticipating what comes next, and tailoring reactions to limit damage and protect our goal line.   Of course there was the woodwork but we've been there and done that many times ourselves and if you don't hit the target you don't score.   Parker also figured that pace is necessary on the counter and what intrigued me most about Mitro's cameo is that he ran twenty odd yards to close down a Leicester defender faster than I have seen him move in a long time.  Perhaps Mitro has been working on his pace and you need to be really fit to put in personal bests over any distance.  Certainly believe he would benfit from having competition from a pacy striker or even as a partner in the job of scoring goals. 

I hope that whatever Parker and his helpers did in analysing Leicester and determining tactics accordingly is equally fruitful against City and Liverpool.  As long as we compete there is always the possibility of turning tables on any opponents.   Hope Tete and Kongolo are fit by their estimated dates because they not only add extra quality they also give Parker more flexibility and choice. 

Sgt Fulham

Woke up, smile on my face. Went to work, smile on my face. Going home I will have a smile on my face. It has been a long time that a Premier League Fulham has made my week!

filham

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 01, 2020, 03:25:10 PM
Woke up, smile on my face. Went to work, smile on my face. Going home I will have a smile on my face. It has been a long time that a Premier League Fulham has made my week!
Had Leicester won last night they would have been joint top of the Premier League, a result like that for Fulham away from he Cottage just has to put a smile on your face.
Forgetting the play off wins it is difficult to remember a better victory.

LittleErn

Quote from: toshes mate on December 01, 2020, 02:20:54 PM

I concur with you as last night was all about absorbing pressure with the anticipation of possession being lost and fast counters becoming possible.  Naturally that is the opposite of much of the work that Parker has 'appeared' to do in the past, but I do believe the Everton game was the straw that broke the camel's back.  That was a game of early Xmas presents to the visitors caused by trying to force the game rather than reading it, anticipating what comes next, and tailoring reactions to limit damage and protect our goal line.   Of course there was the woodwork but we've been there and done that many times ourselves and if you don't hit the target you don't score.   Parker also figured that pace is necessary on the counter and what intrigued me most about Mitro's cameo is that he ran twenty odd yards to close down a Leicester defender faster than I have seen him move in a long time.  Perhaps Mitro has been working on his pace and you need to be really fit to put in personal bests over any distance.  Certainly believe he would benfit from having competition from a pacy striker or even as a partner in the job of scoring goals. 

I hope that whatever Parker and his helpers did in analysing Leicester and determining tactics accordingly is equally fruitful against City and Liverpool.  As long as we compete there is always the possibility of turning tables on any opponents.   Hope Tete and Kongolo are fit by their estimated dates because they not only add extra quality they also give Parker more flexibility and choice. 

I completely concur with your concurrence - we are in concordance - in fact I agree with it.

cottage expat

I agree completely. It's the inconsistency that's a problem. However, Scott is clearly learning on the job and does have a tactical brain as demonstrated yesterday. The team has stated to meld nicely and the addition of a proven, goal scoring striker should be a priority in the coming window.