more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeroen

[/quote]

I said in this thread about a week ago that we weren't signing anyone and it still looks to be the case.

I would do anything to be wrong and get in a pacy wide man/forward who can finish, but can't see it happening.
[/quote]

Haha so incompetent than! As it's for everyone plain to see what we need to stay up.
If you are right (and I think you have been before) it's such a shame as we have such a good base of players if we convert the loans that could carry us to mid table for years to come!

jayffc

Seems they've signed him now.
Imagine the melt down on here if he scores against us and WBA win 🤣

Sounds like theres alot to the FFP stuff that were not all completely getting our head around. Would make sense given Scott's comments that it's difficult. Wish I understood the books enough to make sense of it objectively but big decisions to be made by the board if true,  as case of wether we go all in with our chips and pray for survival- at risk of completely falling apart if it fails. Or play it safe and hope for the best this season without reinforcements and keep us in a position to bounce back if it doesnt work out. Eesh

FFC1987

Quote from: jayffc on January 27, 2021, 11:37:15 AM

Sounds like theres alot to the FFP stuff that were not all completely getting our head around. Would make sense given Scott's comments that it's difficult. Wish I understood the books enough to make sense of it objectively but big decisions to be made by the board if true,  as case of wether we go all in with our chips and pray for survival- at risk of completely falling apart if it fails. Or play it safe and hope for the best this season without reinforcements and keep us in a position to bounce back if it doesnt work out. Eesh

I don't think we can just lean on FFP as an excuse to potentially not signing someone. If reports are true, we put a £11m (12m euros I think) for Nzola so we either aren't interested and are looking at other targets or we lost out on this one a while back with his interested clearly elsewhere from Fulham. Or, you're correct and FFP is crippling us and turned down bids are just a smokescreen to pretend we tried....The Ashley tactic as I believe its known.

If FFP is the issue, it does also show that maybe our DoF or powers that be overpaid on barely upper level championship quality players like Knockaert etc. and we really are in a hole. I know Statto and a few others are more clued up here but I just can't imagine a situation where we couldn't spend around £15m on a striker with a buy out relegation clause.

jayffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 27, 2021, 11:45:04 AM

I don't think we can just lean on FFP as an excuse to potentially not signing someone. If reports are true, we put a £11m (12m euros I think) for Nzola so we either aren't interested and are looking at other targets or we lost out on this one a while back with his interested clearly elsewhere from Fulham. Or, you're correct and FFP is crippling us and turned down bids are just a smokescreen to pretend we tried....The Ashley tactic as I believe its known.

If FFP is the issue, it does also show that maybe our DoF or powers that be overpaid on barely upper level championship quality players like Knockaert etc. and we really are in a hole. I know Statto and a few others are more clued up here but I just can't imagine a situation where we couldn't spend around £15m on a striker with a buy out relegation clause.

Not an excuse, just another reason its particularly trickier than wed hope at this moment specifically.
Agree I wish we hadnt made permanent Knockaert, cant recall if there was an obligation after a certain amount of games though.

Regardless were clearly working within some sort of restrictions there that I'm not privy to. Hard to make an objective judgement on this window knowing the full facts. TK has given some pretty candid interviews of later regarding transfers so perhaps hell be up front about the situation in the next one depending on what goes on. Really hoping we can do some business here

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 27, 2021, 11:45:04 AM

I don't know any more than you about the numbers (it's all guesswork anyway) but you are bang on with those comments about it not really being a valid excuse either way

sarnian

In truth very few deals being done. Has FFP hit a lot of clubs including us. It seems strange to me that premiership champions Liverpool who have been desperate to sign at least one centre back since early in the season through injuries cannot go out there and afford to buy someone.

Gezza

From what I can see there have ben a grand total of 4 signings by Premier League clubs so far this window !

Statto

Quote from: sarnian on January 27, 2021, 12:22:37 PM
In truth very few deals being done. Has FFP hit a lot of clubs including us. It seems strange to me that premiership champions Liverpool who have been desperate to sign at least one centre back since early in the season through injuries cannot go out there and afford to buy someone.

Well Liverpool have more spending power but then are looking at a much smaller and more expensive pool of players who can improve them.

There's enough being done to show that signings are possible if the will is there.

The thing that gets me is it's been the same with us for years now. All we seem to care about is value for money, with very little regard for what it means on the pitch. If a player isn't here for the first few games of the season, or the deal falls through completely and we sign no one, we don't seem to care. All that seems to matter is we drive a hard bargain and can look back on the transfer in a couple of years, from wgwrver division we've sunk to, and say we got a good price. You can guarantee we won't sign King, Toney or Dembele for that reason, because their will be a bidding war for those names.

Statto

Quote from: Gezza on January 27, 2021, 12:59:28 PM
From what I can see there have ben a grand total of 4 signings by Premier League clubs so far this window !

From the PL's own page it's 11 and we know several more are very close

junior white

Quote from: Statto on January 27, 2021, 01:01:40 PM

Still a low number for a January window, i guess half expected because of the situation.

Still hopeful we will pull something out of the bag, do any overseas players who sign have to isolate before joining up?

Gezza

Quote from: Statto on January 27, 2021, 01:01:40 PM

Sorry I took from BBC website which dosent appear to be up to date.

JoelH5

Let's be honest, it's pretty likely there will be a change, or at least a relaxation of FFP rule breaking punishment next year. Brighton reported their increased losses last year. There would be an outcry if clubs were penalised by FFP due to their earnings taking a hit because of Covid.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Plodder

Konstantinos Mitroglou has signed for Greek club Aris, so that's another top striker who has escaped us. Somewhat tongue in cheek on my part, but I do genuinely find it hard to understand how it was that he played only three games for us and achieved nothing, whereas at other clubs (whether on loan from us, from another club or permanent) his goal scoring rate is top notch (181 goals in 400 appearances).  I have a feeling Seri is a similar case - hasn't done much for us, but will flourish elsewhere, for no apparent reason.

Riversider

It's just my own personal view but I think tonight is pivotal for transfer business,
Lose,and there's no point in throwing good money after bad, win or draw and I think they will roll the dice,
For me this is the biggest game of the season by some distance,  with that in mind, why Anguissa was playing against Burnley at the weekend,  I have absolutely no idea, made no sense whatsoever.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Riversider on January 27, 2021, 02:02:30 PM
It's just my own personal view but I think tonight is pivotal for transfer business,
Lose,and there's no point in throwing good money after bad, win or draw and I think they will roll the dice,
For me this is the biggest game of the season by some distance,  with that in mind, why Anguissa was playing against Burnley at the weekend,  I have absolutely no idea, made no sense whatsoever.

That decision was completely unfathomable.  He's our most important player.

Friendsoffulham

filham

Win 6-0 tonight with hat tricks from Kamara and Mitro and we will conclude we have no need for a new striker.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 27, 2021, 05:38:37 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 27, 2021, 05:30:53 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 27, 2021, 05:24:59 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 27, 2021, 04:40:30 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 27, 2021, 04:08:25 AM
Quote from: Arthur on January 27, 2021, 03:04:41 AM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 26, 2021, 10:19:41 PM
Looks like we've had an official bid of 12m knocked back for Nzola
With time running out, this seems to be our best (only) hope of a signing. We've made a bid. We could go back with another.

It depends, perhaps, on whether the report that Spezia don't want to sell actually means they will sell if we make a high offer. In such circumstances, our opening bid is always going to be declined because the selling club will be trying to extract the maximum they can from us. It might take a couple of incremental bids before Spezia can see we have reached our limit.

On the other hand, of course, Spezia may simply have made it clear they will not be selling their man for any price we might be able to afford.

Let's be clear reading the accounts and FFP laws, we can afford to pay around £35m for a striker, which is a lot more than £12m required to buy a striker like Nzola so we can bid higher. While FFP allows us to spend £35m on a five contract, if we spend that much and don't stay up, the dreaded double relegation is probably unavoidable. Alternatively, if we spend nothing relegation is not a certainty and if we go down coming back up is likely.

Instead of buying a new striker, I believe the DOF, should spend this season's remaining money writing down the book value of Fabri, Mawson, MLM, Seri, and Knockaert to their correct values to reduce our future amortization's costs.

Putting the future to one side for the moment, how about considering the present for a change. As there is a small matter of avoiding relegation. Which would save Fulham an awful lot of trouble and financial headache. Which would be caused by relegation. To accumulate you need to speculate, and for the price of one striker who does not need a Sat Nav to find the onion bag whereupon we would get our money back if we stayed up. That should not be too difficult should it and financially astute.
Since they had the best part of six months to find a forward assuming he was on the top of their shopping list in the first place, or are they still sleep walking around to find yet another defender.
Or perhaps as an alternative they should first of all find a competent D  of  F with the knowledge and ability to identify and successfully negotiate a deal to sign a striker,
I mean we have so much time on our side, the best part of five days.

If we hire a competent DOF that is correctly able to value Seri's current book value, then he would lower Seri's book value (and others) to less than £1m which would trigger FFP losses, and bingo we cannot buy players.

In a great irony, a competent DOF would have to at a minimum "write off the deadwood"; and not bring in anyone at all. An incompetent DOF could leave Seri's book value at £10m, so he can spend on a striker instead.

Tony Khan is deciding if he should be a "competent DOF" reporting the correct "book value of players" hurting us this season but helping us next season, or "incompetent DOF" incorrectly reporting the book value of players so he can be bringing in that extra striker that would help us this season and hurt us next season.

I shall try and get back asap once I find an interpreter. I should make yourself comfortable as I could be quite a while.

FFP is highly confusing, most of the comments of FOF show very little understanding of how it works over a rolling three year cycle and more importantly how a DOF best positions a club to do well under it. Once someone understands how FFP works, they will soon realize Tony Khan is a much better DOF than most fans give him credit for.

Do not despair, I do fully understand what you are saying as I am sure most supporters do. I just happen to disagree with you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Spot on imo. And from the players side. No point coming here unless we win tonight.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

jayffc

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 27, 2021, 03:53:50 PM

Spot on imo. And from the players side. No point coming here unless we win tonight.

If we lose tonight, but beat West Brom we'll likely be 5 points behind with a game in hand (given that brighton play spurs next...after that they have liverpool) Absolutely not the end of the season if we lose the next game. Does it make it a bit trickier, maybe, but as Scott says, we're  only half way through the season and not playing badly, its a long way from over.