watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

GJ and foul throws

Started by bencher, January 14, 2021, 06:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

What's Jim's obsession with foul throws? He seems to "spot" at least 1-2 per game. Is it just one of his quirks like describing the full kit colours of the goalkeeper (green shirt shorts and socks), or is he on to something the officials are missing?

fulhamben

Officials miss foul throws all the time. And it is easy to spot a couple if you are looking closely for them.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

My own obsession is that linesman do not force players to take the throw from the exact place the ball went out of play. Players are allowed to creep upfield while taking the throw and gain a good few yards or even meters.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I am commenting to my wife all of the time while watching on tv. It seems to me that too many players do not use the correct arm action within the law and more and more are getting away with it.

Enfield

Unfortunately  its something the officials now ignore, along with the ball in the " D " at corners.
Jim's correct.

alfie

It bugs me with the amount of "Traveling" players do when taking them.
Noticed one last night, Spurs throw in, the ball went out of play about 4/5 ft in Spurs half, by the time player took the throw he was about 4/5ft in our half.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ALG01

I saw a few yesterday.
they should change the rule or enforce it properly. it is a throw not a drop and from behind the line not in front and both feet on the ground.
that is not what happened yesterday.

akf

Quote from: ALG01 on January 14, 2021, 08:27:43 PM
... from behind the line not in front ....
This has bothered me so much of late that I looked up the rule*, which states that some part of each of the player's feet needs to be on the line or behind.  In my mind, the obvious spirit of the law is not to be in the field of play, but outside if it.  I let myself get driven to distraction whenever I see a player's heel on the line with 75% of his foot in play.

* https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-15---the-throw-in

Colton F.C.

Are foul throws checked by VAR if a throw in forms part of the build up to a goal or penalty?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Enfield on January 14, 2021, 06:48:00 PM
Unfortunately  its something the officials now ignore, along with the ball in the " D " at corners.
Jim's correct.

The corner circle is too small, a bigger circle (say 2 or 3 yards) would make it easier to place the ball, avoid player's runup backing into the fence, make scoring off corners easier, and would encourage defenders to keep the ball in play.

love4ffc

Lots of people have their pet peeves.  GJ is foul throw-ins.  Mine, as mentioned not long ago by Blingo, is when a player blatantly sees another player standing still looking up at a ball in the air, opposing player see him and backs into him as that player jumps to head the ball.  Opposing player gets a foul while the player watching the ball and jumping to head the ball awkwardly is sent falling usually headfirst to the ground.  I find this dangerous and outrageous to allow to happen.  Should be a yellow card to the player backing into the standing player.  Examples would be Son and Harry kane.
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

bencher

Quote from: Colton F.C. on January 14, 2021, 11:10:40 PM
Are foul throws checked by VAR if a throw in forms part of the build up to a goal or penalty?

A good question. I have a similar one. Now that marginal offsides are often ignored until after the goal is scored, and these situations can sometimes lead to a corner instead of a goal (e.g. defender deflects the shot for a corner), do they check the offside before the corner is taken? It seems not. If the corner leads to a goal, shouldn't they then go and check whether it should have been offside instead of a corner? But I don't think they do.

Dodgin

Pretty sure Man. U ignored the D when taking corners in the game this week. The one where Maguire's goal was disallowed.

RaySmith

Like me, Jim grew up at a time when foul throws  were penalised by throw being awarded to the opposition, and this  rule  was enforced.

As kids we were taught about it, and as a Sunday league player, i was often penalised for foul throws.

SG

Quote from: akf on January 14, 2021, 10:42:46 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 14, 2021, 08:27:43 PM
... from behind the line not in front ....
This has bothered me so much of late that I looked up the rule*, which states that some part of each of the player's feet needs to be on the line or behind.  In my mind, the obvious spirit of the law is not to be in the field of play, but outside if it.  I let myself get driven to distraction whenever I see a player's heel on the line with 75% of his foot in play.

* https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-15---the-throw-in

As you say the foot only has to be touching the line so 90% of the foot can be in play and it is not a foul throw. I think GJ's beef is with the back or trailing foot. This must stay in touch with the ground throughout but regularly we now often see the back foot being lifted and it is not penalised. There was an Arsenal player recently that committed a couple of these until belatedly the ref picked him up on it. As a lino at local level football the ref always tells me to take the feet and he will take the hands at throw ins. Dont understand why prem linos cant pick this up.
Incidentally I noticed that Cav had the ball well out of the D when he took a corner on Weds night. It crossed my mind what would happen if we had scored from it.

Whitesideup

Quote from: love4ffc on January 15, 2021, 03:47:51 AM
Lots of people have their pet peeves.  GJ is foul throw-ins.  Mine, as mentioned not long ago by Blingo, is when a player blatantly sees another player standing still looking up at a ball in the air, opposing player see him and backs into him as that player jumps to head the ball.  Opposing player gets a foul while the player watching the ball and jumping to head the ball awkwardly is sent falling usually headfirst to the ground.  I find this dangerous and outrageous to allow to happen.  Should be a yellow card to the player backing into the standing player.  Examples would be Son and Harry kane.
I'm with you on this one Love. Backing in is rarely penalized, and yes, Kane is particularly adept at feigning the foul. But as backers in go, Mitro let's say holds his space pretty well. One of the best was Zamora at holding up the ball, and he was never afraid to occupy the space first. Interestingly there were a few European games where the refs penalized him early on and he had to tone it down quite a bit. But generally yes, players get away with it and scandalously often win free kicks when the decision should have gone the other way. It's a bit like dissent, refs could stop it if they wanted to  .. but it would be too controversial.

Whitesideup

I'll look more closely next time, but I don't think the ball has to be in the D, as long as it is not wholly over the line which means it can be placed a couple of inches beyond it. That makes it look as if it's not in the D. If that's not a correct interpretation then that is what is happening.

Oh hang on, found this on a ref's forum: "Law simply states the ball must be within the quadrant, therefore providing any part of the ball is within the quadrant (including touching/overhanging the outside of the line) that's fine."

rebel

Just click 'Watch on Youtube'.

Dodgin

Jim's other beef is the ref getting in the way of the ball.

Tabby

Foot placement isn't the issue as often as that a lot of players don't have both feet touching the ground when they release the ball. Also a lot of iffy throwing motions.

But it is the kind of rule that only really gets enforced for kids who are learning, at some point it just stops being enforced unless there is a really egregious foul throw.