Main Menu

Areola again proves his worth

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, February 20, 2021, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caedal

I reckon he could get a retrospective red

Fulham1959

Quote from: Fulham 442 on February 20, 2021, 10:23:57 PM
Wilder thinks they should have had a penalty from the Areola block, reckless challenge in his opinion...

I agree.  We were very lucky in that respect.

BestOfBrede

Deeping_white

Quote from: Caedal on February 20, 2021, 10:28:45 PM
I reckon he could get a retrospective red

For what? VAR already deemed it a 50/50 and said it was fair cop for expecting the keeper to make a save

Somerset Fulham

Souness is right, I think.

That said, he was even more right about the state of refereeing in England.  Remember last season?  This lot in the Premier League aren't much better, and VAR is showing them up for what they are.

Caedal

They have given retrospective reds over ruling VAR already this season. I thought the follow through with his trailing let which caught Bogle at knee height was quite dangerous

Fernhurst

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 20, 2021, 10:27:49 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on February 20, 2021, 10:23:57 PM
Wilder thinks they should have had a penalty from the Areola block, reckless challenge in his opinion...

Sky pundits agree with Wilder

Graham Sourpuss doing his nut in saying the ref got it completely wrong, Defo penalty....... really?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Caedal on February 20, 2021, 10:31:39 PM
They have given retrospective reds over ruling VAR already this season. I thought the follow through with his trailing let which caught Bogle at knee height was quite dangerous

If referee on the field and VAR said no penalty and foul against Areola no way can they give a retro red to Areola. Fulham would have strong grounds for legal action.

Milo

Probably a penalty having re watched 50 times.

Striker gets ball first, then Areola, but then a high follow through.

Hence, gets to ball second and follows through high. Penalty on balance?

Deeping_white

Quote from: Milo on February 20, 2021, 10:36:40 PM
Probably a penalty having re watched 50 times.

Striker gets ball first, then Areola, but then a high follow through.

Hence, gets to ball second and follows through high. Penalty on balance?

Think the point is though, he gets the ball and blocks it before the follow through, and I think you have to give the keeper the benefit of the doubt because how else can he try and make saves as they've got to launch themselves at danger most of the time

FFCFOREVER

Souness the pr1ck saying Areolas challenge was an assault. That coming from him is a bit rich. I am sick of them stupid biast pundits. He blatantly wins the ball first and then clatters the player. Great challenge and even better commitment.

sarnian

Glad to see Wilder moaning, probably forgot the soft penalty they got against us earlier in the season.

junior white

Could have been a pen u def how the rules can be interpreted, however wasnt given move on lol

Wilder seems to forget the knee high challenge by baldock on Lookman which VAR didn't even loom at

ALG01

it really was not a foul.
both players comited and going for the ball, they have to.
the forwards studs are in our keepers ankle and the keepers trailing leg, which has to be there catches the forward... it was nothing.
wilder was wrong and actually lying because at the pther end he would say it was a 50 50 challenge.

the pundits have not a clue, maybe they are all too old.

SouthIslandWhite

Since September I have been saying that he is our best player this season.

You know what? Even with only one season, Areola is actually proving to be one of the best players we have had in the club's history. I am serious. He is that good, he is that impactful. Season MVP easy. Not since the Louis Saha era have I seen a Fulham player with his overall impact. He has already achieved club legend status imo.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

FFC1987

Did Pickford get a respective red for his challenge on Dyke?

It was dangerous albeit necessary as a GK so no penalty and I can't see it being a red.

Sgt Fulham

Love him, absolutely love him. If Pickford didn't get a retrospective red as FFC1987 mentioned then no way Areola does. I thought it was a good tackle, and comments about assault are complete nonsense as there was no intent but to save a goal. Drama merchants peddling their nonsense.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on February 20, 2021, 11:44:44 PM
Love him, absolutely love him. If Pickford didn't get a retrospective red as FFC1987 mentioned then no way Areola does. I thought it was a good tackle, and comments about assault are complete nonsense as there was no intent but to save a goal. Drama merchants peddling their nonsense.

Yep, exactly.

Andy S

The game is played in real time and should not be judged by slow motion replays. The referee is watching the game and only if he doesn't see an incident should it go to VAR. There was a time when players did not go in on goal keepers and jumped over them.

bahay18

Areola has only moved a couple of yards from his line so there is little momentum , its not comparable with Robinsons challenge against chelsea which was a complete wipe out at pace . I think areola has actually gone to block , he gets the ball and then its two players coming together . Its not rash , its not high , areola had ever right to go for that ball just 2 yards in front of him . Ive tried to watch it with the souness mind set but its just not what happened .