watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Souness

Started by Andy S, February 24, 2021, 10:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Graham Souness said on tv after the Sheffield game that ex players should be used as referees. The idea is possibly good but if players had to retire early because of injuries they might not be the best to referee or run the line. Then the fact is they are well known for their cheating and trying to con the poor old referee could they be trusted to be un biased?

WhiteJC

if an ex-player get to officiate against an ex-team or rival then it would be interesting to see how they, and the fans, cope, I think it would be very difficult, human nature and all that.

"simulation" needs to be stamped out, its cheating, retrospective red cards and points deduction are the only way, hit the clubs who both encourage and benefit where it hurts

Fulham1959

Whatever happened to the yellow card for 'diving' in the penalty area ? (goalkeepers excepted  :005:).  They used to be quite frequent.

At least we no longer seem to get the ridiculous, "If it's not a penalty, it's got to be a yellow card for diving" assertion - usually from the co-commentator - implying that every tackle where a player goes down is either a free kick or a dive.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

He also said (in his opinion) it should have been a penalty & a red card against our keeper.

He of course was the most gentlest of creatures as far as his playing style

Statto

If they can be trusted to play against their old club like RLC will be doing on Sunday then they should be trusted to officiate a match impartially

I think the problem is perception. They will come with baggage, bad blood from certain individuals or clubs they played against, and won't be perceived to be impartial

res

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on February 24, 2021, 10:53:18 AM
He also said (in his opinion) it should have been a penalty & a red card against our keeper.

He of course was the most gentlest of creatures as far as his playing style
His view of course which I don't agree with. To be fair to him, he said that we should have been given a "stonewall" penalty against Liverpool early on this season, he called it in real time and said it was confirmed by VAR but mysteriously not by the ref.

Herbie

I don't see the logic behind that argument.  One does not need to have played the game professionally to be able to apply the rules of the game. 

If it's an argument based on level of experience, then he's not considering that they would have already been involved in a large number of games in order to be a top flight ref. 

abfg

I'm not sure. Maybe a good idea but is Ryan Shawcross and his ilk going to referee to the same 'rules' as Jack Grealish and his ilk.

HV71

He has talked about this before - he advocates ex players ( particularly those from the lower leagues and those who have to finish early ) should be given the opportunity.

Ed

It's been done in professional cricket for years, first class umpires had to have played the game professionally. Football should have introduced it years ago.

filham

Is there anything stopping ex players becoming referees, suggest the work would be too difficult for most of them and the pay too low.

LittleErn

Quote from: whitejc on February 24, 2021, 10:17:11 AM

"simulation" needs to be stamped out, its cheating, retrospective red cards and points deduction are the only way, hit the clubs who both encourage and benefit where it hurts

The problem here, for me, is that a player running at full pelt only needs a very slight touch to knock him off balance and put him down. VAR, being two dimensional, doesn't always pick that up, so it looks as though the forward has dived when he hasn't.

blingo

It might just be me but I can't stand Souness.

milis

Trying to imagine Jack Grealish or some other diver such as Callum Wilson as a referee...

mrmicawbers

Quote from: milis on February 24, 2021, 04:27:39 PM
Trying to imagine Jack Grealish or some other diver such as Callum Wilson as a referee...
Yes. Then VAR can mark out of Ten

Andy S

It's the length of time it takes to learn how to referee that is important. People need to start at the bottom and work their way up. Being fit having the ability As well as enjoying what you are doing is important. I don't think players fit completely. But maybe some could be given a try at a lower level

sunburywhite

Quote from: blingo on February 24, 2021, 03:21:21 PM
It might just be me but I can't stand Souness.

Why do Ikeep reading Sourness when I see his name
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

FFCFOREVER

Souness also said Areola's tackle was akin to assault, so I would disregard anything he says as he obviously aint got a scooby what he's talking about.

Dr Know

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on February 24, 2021, 06:09:17 PM
Souness also said Areola's tackle was akin to assault, so I would disregard anything he says as he obviously aint got a scooby what he's talking about.
Souness is one of the best pundits on tv !

Plodder

Quote from: Ed on February 24, 2021, 01:51:27 PM
It's been done in professional cricket for years, first class umpires had to have played the game professionally. Football should have introduced it years ago.

It is certainly the norm, but I don't think it has ever been a requirement for an umpire in first class cricket to have played professionally.