watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our goal threat was gone.

Started by ex-Pat, March 04, 2021, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

When Mitro came on, please no more passengers..

andyk

When Mitro took up a position in the right corner of the penalty area, he then lashed the ball across the six yard box. Doherty's desperate lunge put the ball a foot wide of the post. It was the closest we came to scoring.
We need someone to score 7 or 8 goals in the next 11 games. He's the only one who can do it.
We should start him every match.

Denver Fulham

Mitrovic is completely unplayable, and not in the good soccer way.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: andyk on March 04, 2021, 10:46:41 PM
When Mitro took up a position in the right corner of the penalty area, he then lashed the ball across the six yard box. Doherty's desperate lunge put the ball a foot wide of the post. It was the closest we came to scoring.
We need someone to score 7 or 8 goals in the next 11 games. He's the only one who can do it.
We should start him every match.

"Lashed" is about right. No control and no skill, which alas others showed in front of goal tonight. A shot on target, a shot away from the keeper, a well placed pass, a lofted cross or just keeping the ball for a moment would have been better and doable options. The momentum we had picked up before he came on was lost, not all his fault, but his attempts at challenging for the ball, finding space and testing the centre backs were way below what the myth around Mitrovic suggests.

andyk

Mitro has never had a run in the team.  Apart from the first 6 games, when we were playing really badly. He still scored goals in those games.
It's not as if his replacements have been banging them in.
We've scored 3 goals in our last 9 home games.

It

Statto

Quote from: andyk on March 04, 2021, 11:08:08 PM
Mitro has never had a run in the team.  Apart from the first 6 games, when we were playing really badly. He still scored goals in those games.

+1

Hatch007

+2

70sPimlico

Mitro has never had a run in the team.  Apart from the first 6 games, when we were playing really badly.
and the games before we got promoted, when we were playing really badly.

and the most of last season, when we were playing really badly

perry geyton

Can't drop Maja but I'd start em both personally

ScalleysDad

It

In the interest of debate though Mitrovic scored two in the comeback that fell short at Elland Road, scored one more somewhere but before and after that he has done very little as our No.9. He was mostly absent as the Championship season ended and with the key caveats that the start of the Premiership was awful all round he has not contributed to the team we have evolved into. Yes he was injured, yes he was on the Covid radar and yes it has taken a while to get this team playing better but in relation to that last point Mitro simply does not contribute. He does not boss opposition centre backs, he loses most aerial challenges these days, he gets pinged for silly fouls and that so important football brain is two yards behind the game. I think it was mentioned yesterday that he was late getting into the space where the ball was headed and there was every likelihood that a goal was beckoning. A striker on his game would have been there.
Of course there are a number of issues to bat around. Our top goal scorers, BDR and Lookman, combined have a measly eleven in all competitions, ( Mitrovic is level with the much maligned Cav and has one more than Aina). When we have looked good we have looked very good but then that progress is interrupted by injuries or unavailability and of course we are under enormous pressure because of the lousy start. However whatever separate issue is picked apart or however the collective problems are sifted Mitro is simply not the answer and is not going to be. Mitrovic the Myth is being found out and based purely on effort and demeanour had Cav, RLC, Bryan and Robinson, the current whipping boys, put in the shift Mitrovic did last night in what was a brief cameo they would be slaughtered. Maja is fitting in very well and was quick enough to make the most of his key opportunity last night and did a proper No.9's job at Everton. It has been said that the team cannot accommodate both. I tend to agree and therefore see no reason for Mitrovic to start, possibly for the rest of the season.

blingo

Are these the same people that were ringing his praises as top scorer in the championship? Hang your heads in shame. He is THE reason we are in the premiership. Perhaps if the crosses came in he would score a lot more. We should be looking at our wingers and midfield who are simply not producing enough quality for either Mitro or Maja to score from.

filham

Quote from: Hatch007 on March 04, 2021, 11:39:23 PM
+2
Yes I agree on a recall for Mitro but at the same time we need to re train our wide men into delivering some decent crosses for him to feed off.

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 05, 2021, 10:49:33 AM
Mitrovic the Myth is being found out

Maybe you missed the 2.5 seasons before this one, for the duration of which period he was by far our most prolific goalscorer and scored 50 times. Having been there, I can confirm it was indeed very real and not a "myth".

ScalleysDad

Quote from: blingo on March 05, 2021, 10:57:58 AM
Are these the same people that were ringing his praises as top scorer in the championship? Hang your heads in shame. He is THE reason we are in the premiership. Perhaps if the crosses came in he would score a lot more. We should be looking at our wingers and midfield who are simply not producing enough quality for either Mitro or Maja to score from.

I think the contribution Mitro made this time round was/is negligible. Did he not miss out on most of the run into the final? Currently we could be getting crosses in from all angles and to the front and back posts but he just does not look like getting to anything at the moment.
Was the acute drop off in form not one of the reasons many pundits and posters highlighted getting in a tried and tested forward was essential business way back in August/September? The days of an out and out, socks rolled down winger getting to the line and whipping in a cross might come back but the modern game demands they bulk up the midfield and defend from the halfway line and the role of the No.9 has equally had to change. Maja already looks like he can cover more ground, sniff out the chances and adapt to phases of play better than Mitrovic has of late.

St Eve

It
Quote from: Statto on March 05, 2021, 12:17:30 PM

Maybe you missed the 2.5 seasons before this one, for the duration of which period he was by far our most prolific goalscorer and scored 50 times. Having been there, I can confirm it was indeed very real and not a "myth".
Well said

Statto

Top scorer in the division and his contribution was "negligible" ...lol I've heard it all now
:doh: 064.gif

We wouldn't even have won the play-off final if he hadn't come on and thrown Marcondes on the floor

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Statto on March 05, 2021, 12:17:30 PM

Also having been there I can confirm I have seen quality goals from him in both stints in the Championship, about forty in over sixty games and in the Prem, less attendance I'll admit, it's a lot less, mid teens I guess in one and a half seasons worth with the caveats of injury and covid absence. We are of course discussing the now in case I missed something and in the now he has done little to warrant starting.

bobby01

I know it sounds stupid but I really think Mitro misses the crowd.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

colinwhite

Weve been through all this before but Mitro looks to me like the type of player that is not fit and hasnt really been all season. Simply putting better crosses into the box isnt going to work at this level. We become far too predictable. We have moved on from that type of football and are a much more dynamic side these days. Is Mitro the answer to our goalscoring problems? sadly I dont think so, because we would have to change so many aspects of our current play for that to work the way many seem to think it would.
We are a couple of attacking players short of being top 10 side ,but sadly I dont think those players are TC and Mitro.

blingo

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 05, 2021, 12:28:34 PM
Quote from: blingo on March 05, 2021, 10:57:58 AM

I think the contribution Mitro made this time round was/is negligible. Did he not miss out on most of the run into the final? Currently we could be getting crosses in from all angles and to the front and back posts but he just does not look like getting to anything at the moment.
Was the acute drop off in form not one of the reasons many pundits and posters highlighted getting in a tried and tested forward was essential business way back in August/September? The days of an out and out, socks rolled down winger getting to the line and whipping in a cross might come back but the modern game demands they bulk up the midfield and defend from the halfway line and the role of the No.9 has equally had to change. Maja already looks like he can cover more ground, sniff out the chances and adapt to phases of play better than Mitrovic has of late.

You failed to mention the 26 goals that took us up.

He hasn't been given the playing time either my friend. Assists?