News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan did a good job fixing his early mistake.

Started by AnOldBrownie, March 07, 2021, 05:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

And by early mistake I mean trying to go completely opposite to what he did 2 seasons ago (overspending/bringing in too many players) and keeping our 3rd place finishing championship side together.

We paid for trying to do a Sheffield United and keeping the Championship spine in the Premier League.

Radek
Odoi, Hector, Ream, Bryan

(After the playoff win we all wanted them to push on...they didn't)

Tony Khan (and Scott Parker) stepped up and brought in players that appear to love playing together even though they are 18th in the table.

Areola
Aina
Anderson
Tosin
Tete
Reed (who has stepped up)
Robinson...who has his good and bad days but is also a defensive upgrade on Bryan
Lookman
Anguissa (yup... TK could have sold Anguissa to a La Liga side while he was hot...but he held onto the big guy)

Tony Khan gets lot of stick here and on social media...and some of it is deserved... but I'm giving him props on "finally" getting a competitive premiere league side on the pitch.

He also gets props for hiring what my turn out to be may favorite sports manager ever.

bill taylors apprentice

Sounds like you are trying to spin things to Khan Jnrs favour

The way things happened, Covid, the Play offs and the quick turnaround to the PL season was always going to mean we would have to start the season with what we had.

You could just as easily say TK failed to plan ahead soon enough and no players were lined up ready to sign if we won promotion.

I think he probably did learn a little from his numerous errors but its more likely SP's involvement lead us to this point more than anyone else.

Dunstable Fulham

If we stay up Tony will deserve tremendous credit alongside Scott, his staff and especially the players. A lot more work to do but if we achieve what we all desire I will not be slow in giving him credit.

Whitestone

Tony Khan is a part time Director of Football who was rarely in the UK pre COVID restrictions let alone now. Of course he deserves credit for the part he played in securing the current crop of players BUT it's nonsensical to think that  he can be fully committed to Fulham with his business interests with the Jags and AEW wrestling to manage. I have nothing against TK but am of the firm belief that the DOF role at a Premier League football club should be a full time role based at Motspur Park.

Twig

We've done much better I agree. But it's not a fully competitive PL side without a decent striker. If, and it's still a big if, we stay up then TK needs to significantly strengthen our goal scoring options.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on March 07, 2021, 05:43:14 PM

I think he probably did learn a little from his numerous errors but its more likely SP's involvement lead us to this point more than anyone else.

We have a completely different back line.  WHo picked the players?  Who picked the manager?

Quote from: Whitestone on March 07, 2021, 05:48:47 PM
Tony Khan is a part time Director of Football who was rarely in the UK pre COVID restrictions let alone now. Of course he deserves credit for the part he played in securing the current crop of players BUT it's nonsensical to think that  he can be fully committed to Fulham with his business interests with the Jags and AEW wrestling to manage. I have nothing against TK but am of the firm belief that the DOF role at a Premier League football club should be a full time role based at Motspur Park.

Agree 100%, and we need look no further than the Jags to see that Tony isn't always right.

That said...he picked out current crop of players and he picked Scott Parker.

And there are a LOT of experienced Directors of Football that are worse then TK.   Maybe American football just isn't his thing.

Areola and Anderson have come to Fulham FC.  Those deals alone are done in large part because of Tony Khan.    Scott Parker is 100% Tony Khan.

Give the guy at least a little credit.

RaySmith

Well whatever, but there was a combination of  a  very short time to the season's start, and FFP, that contributed to the way we lined up at the start of the season.

And  An Old Brownie does have a point about some arguing that we should  stay with those who got us up, like Sheff U, rather than buying expensive foreign imports, who didn't fit in with the team, though Anguissa has come good.

But we did sign these top players, who have rescued us and given us a chance, when we seemed doomed, so  congratulations are due to those responsible for  signing them - and TK gets the blame when they don't  turn out well, so he must be  responsible when they  turn our very astute signings  and brilliant players, who give their all for the club.
And for appointing Scott.

Statto

With a multimillionaire owner prepared to finance the maximum spending permitted under FFP, I expect a newly-peomoted team to stay up.

Last time he fell well below that expectation.

If we stay (still just an 'if') up he'll have met expectations. Nothing more.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2021, 06:38:27 PM
With a multimillionaire owner prepared to finance the maximum spending permitted under FFP, I expect a newly-peomoted team to stay up.

Staying up will exceed expectations. We were expected to be relegated. Just ask Jamie Carragher today about it.

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on March 07, 2021, 06:43:00 PM

Staying up will exceed expectations. We were expected to be relegated. Just ask Jamie Carragher today about it.

I'm not talking about Jamie Carragher's expectations, which in any case were based on us failing miserably to stay up in 18/19 and looking the same initially this season.

I'm talking about reasonable, objective expectations of a club with a multibillionaire owner prepared to finance the maximum spending permitted under FFP

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 07, 2021, 05:32:35 PM
And by early mistake I mean trying to go completely opposite to what he did 2 seasons ago (overspending/bringing in too many players) and keeping our 3rd place finishing championship side together.

We paid for trying to do a Sheffield United and keeping the Championship spine in the Premier League.

Radek
Odoi, Hector, Ream, Bryan

(After the playoff win we all wanted them to push on...they didn't)

Tony Khan (and Scott Parker) stepped up and brought in players that appear to love playing together even though they are 18th in the table.

Areola
Aina
Anderson
Tosin
Tete
Reed (who has stepped up)
Robinson...who has his good and bad days but is also a defensive upgrade on Bryan
Lookman
Anguissa (yup... TK could have sold Anguissa to a La Liga side while he was hot...but he held onto the big guy)

Tony Khan gets lot of stick here and on social media...and some of it is deserved... but I'm giving him props on "finally" getting a competitive premiere league side on the pitch.

He also gets props for hiring what my turn out to be may favorite sports manager ever.

I agree with you Old Brownie. Scott is TK's man and the team brought in by TK & co. is now a legitimate PL side now under Scott's management.

ianthailand

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on March 07, 2021, 05:43:14 PM
Sounds like you are trying to spin things to Khan Jnrs favour

The way things happened, Covid, the Play offs and the quick turnaround to the PL season was always going to mean we would have to start the season with what we had.

You could just as easily say TK failed to plan ahead soon enough and no players were lined up ready to sign if we won promotion.

+1

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2021, 06:45:44 PM

I'm not talking about Jamie Carragher's expectations, which in any case were based on us failing miserably to stay up in 18/19 and looking the same initially this season.

I'm talking about reasonable, objective expectations of a club with a multibillionaire owner prepared to finance the maximum spending permitted under FFP

This is not a reasonable expectation though because spending the maximum amount isn't a guarantee of finishing 17th or higher in the Premier League.

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on March 07, 2021, 06:57:22 PM
Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2021, 06:45:44 PM

This is not a reasonable expectation though because spending the maximum amount isn't a guarantee of finishing 17th or higher in the Premier League.

I said expectation not guarantee

Having more spending power than peer clubs creates a reasonable expectation you will outperform them

SouthIslandWhite

I have a long history on here on maligning Tony Khan and more than suggesting that he doesn't know his job because of the optics of nepotism. Maybe there is some nepotism to his role indeed, whatever...

If I am being honest, I must admit that I don't know anything about football really do I? I am paid well to keep Her Majesty's Ships and crews ahead of the other top of worldwide navies. I like to think that I am good at that role. But TK has proven to me this year beyond any doubt that he might just know a thing or two about his job and about football.

Well done Tony, well done mate.
There is only one Fulham Football Club.

70sPimlico

Quote from: SouthIslandWhite on March 07, 2021, 07:40:45 PM
I have a long history on here on maligning Tony Khan and more than suggesting that he doesn't know his job because of the optics of nepotism. Maybe there is some nepotism to his role indeed, whatever...

If I am being honest, I must admit that I don't know anything about football really do I? I am paid well to keep Her Majesty's Ships and crews ahead of the other top of worldwide navies. I like to think that I am good at that role. But TK has proven to me this year beyond any doubt that he might just know a thing or two about his job and about football.

Well done Tony, well done mate.
Good lord.

Well said

Bassey the warrior

He deserves far more credit than he gets. He's made some superb signings and all of our best players apart from Reed and his namesake, Reid were signed over the summer. They've all been a success, albeit RLC to a lesser extent.

FFC1987

Here's the issue here. Its another post too soon to really comment. If we do end up going down, which is still a very real possibility, we'll look at the slow start and fingers will absolutely and correctly, be pointed at TK. If we stay up, we'll say it was an issue overcome by brilliant management and brilliant recruitment, albeit an issue we hope we he's learnt from. Its a fine margin here but we don't know where we'll end up which is pivotal to this conversation.

BarryP

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on March 07, 2021, 09:36:10 PM
He deserves far more credit than he gets. He's made some superb signings and all of our best players apart from Reed and his namesake, Reid were signed over the summer. They've all been a success, albeit RLC to a lesser extent.

0001.jpeg
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Milo

Deserves credit for signings this year.

Lots of mistakes in the past. Don't think he's grown up completely as evidenced by occasional outburst on Twitter, but made some good strides this year.