watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Lookman greedy?

Started by ChesterTheTabby, March 07, 2021, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJW48361

Undoubted ability still has a few rough edges to put right mainly taking the correct options but massive potential.

Willham

I agree but I really enjoyed him today, he ran circles around that neco Williams, klopp even brought trent on because he was nowhere near lookman.

If he and robinson improve that final touch then whoever we have up front will be deadly. That one just behind maja today, needed to be along the floor then other times he did them on the floor when they needed to be lifted.

Hes brilliant but again not quite the finished product.

We have so much potential in this team!

Barrett487

I think he's still trying to prove his finishing skills, it's only natural, and his team-mates haven't exactly proved to be sharpshooters. I did think, however, that with the shot he took early on that was deflected, a threaded square pass to Maja was on.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Willham on March 07, 2021, 09:21:55 PM
I agree but I really enjoyed him today, he ran circles around that neco Williams, klopp even brought trent on because he was nowhere near lookman.

If he and robinson improve that final touch then whoever we have up front will be deadly. That one just behind maja today, needed to be along the floor then other times he did them on the floor when they needed to be lifted.

Hes brilliant but again not quite the finished product.

We have so much potential in this team!

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread... he's only 22. His bloody superb for 22. Keep him at all costs. Fulham's Messi and Reed our Ineista
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Cambridge Pete

Remember a conversation between Lineker and Shearer where they both agreed that a good goalscorer needed to be greedy. As has been pointed out he is still a young player

Jim©

He reminds me of walcott who always always got into brilliant positions only to fluff the final ball/shot.
Still, I don't mind him going for goal, if he didn't we'd have a fair few less points this season. A great player, nightmare to defend against and one I hope we keep if/when we stay up.

Stevieboy

I think it's the difference between a good player and a great player.
Fir comparison, in my mind Sterling is good but his decision making is atrocious.
If Lookman can stay with us and be anywhere as productive as Sterling ultimately is he will become a great player for us.
Maybe he is trying to take in too much responsibility due to our inability to convert chances.

colinwhite

Quote from: Stevieboy on March 08, 2021, 12:13:46 PM
Fir comparison, in my mind Sterling is good but his decision making is atrocious.
If Lookman can stay with us and be anywhere as productive as Sterling ultimately is he will become a great player for us.
Maybe he is trying to take in too much responsibility due to our inability to convert chances.

Hes 22 he will get better

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on March 08, 2021, 12:27:12 PM

You may be right Colin but I recall thinking the same about AK47... who I think we can agree hasn't improved enough

clarkey

Lookman would thrive with Cairney in good form.

Most posters are right, he is potentially an excellent player, he is exciting, but frequently makes the wrong choice, and plays with his head down a lot. His decisions need lots of training ground improvement so he begins to instinctively make better ones.

But he is fast, can finish and takes players on, and we need that.Love having him in the team whereas Cav....god I hate him in the team he is so bad.

FulhamStu

I expect Lookman Cav and others are being told to shoot when the chance arrives.  We used to play tippy tappy all the time and the chance would go, shooting early is the way to score goals.  What needs too improve is the quality of shooting and yes, if you see someone better placed then set them up but the early first time shot before the keeper is set is most effective.

Fulham1959

blingo

He's a diamond that needs polishing, that's all.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on March 08, 2021, 09:13:06 AM
Remember a conversation between Lineker and Shearer where they both agreed that a good goalscorer needed to be greedy. As has been pointed out he is still a young player

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

He is a bit greedy but it's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've got one or two players who are greedy to get forward and get goals and have the confidence/balls to actually get into dangerous areas and make things happen, it can be a good thing.

It just wouldn't be good to have too many players or a greedy player scared of getting into the box.

FFC In Oz

Lookman can be greedy at times, but I think with him it's more of a decision making issue.

There's been a number of occasions this year when he actually has passed when he only had the one defender marking him and probably would have been better advised to take him on.

On a related note - has anyone noticed that when Lookman cuts in to shoot, he tends to try to beat the keeper at the near post with the shot?  Considering how keepers HATE being beaten at their near post, I would be advising him to try and bend those shots in to the far corner.

Tempest

No, poor decision making maybe but wouldn't say greedy.

Anyway, nothing wrong with being greedy, at the right time.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

colinwhite

Quote from: Statto on March 08, 2021, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on March 08, 2021, 12:27:12 PM

You may be right Colin but I recall thinking the same about AK47... who I think we can agree hasn't improved enough

Come on Statto ,you cant seriously be comparing those 2 players! Lookman is class on the ball with a superb first touch,makes the wrong decisions at times but looks humble and wants to learn. Has real pace but also an excellent technique. Everything in fact that kamara lacks ,apart from big muscles of course ,and what sounds like adubious attitude at times ,which is why he was shipped out by all accounts .
agree however that he needs to improve his decision making and its not certain he will. If he does we will have a superb player if we can sign him !

WindyCity

It's a good observation.  Nothing wrong with a striker being greedy/selfish, HOWEVER, that player still needs to be a COMPLETE player, imo.  You look at the leagues' top strikers and you will also see them with plenty of assists too.  Lookman has missed many opportunities to make a pass to a wide open team mate.  Very noticeable on overlap plays as well.  Maybe he just doesn't 'see' other players and has tunnel vision on taking that shot.  But the observation is spot on.  Same can be said of Cav, but in his case I'm not so sure he has the ability to make that play.  He gets too crowded on the ball before another play can even be made.  Nice dribbling skills on the ball, but waits far too long to make another play.

filham

Our players are in danger of passing the ball backwards and sideways time  and time again without making progress or bothering the opponents. Important to have someone like Lookman with the confidence and ability to run at defenders and cause problems, essential he continues to do so.

Yes it is true that there are times when he needs to pick out a better positioned team mate but Parker will develop this skill carefully and gradually without damaging Lookman's instinct to be direct.