watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Reflecting

Started by bog, March 11, 2021, 09:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Fellow baby boomers will be really enjoying watching this squad. Those who stood on the terraces from back in the late 1940's and then 50's have seen many a squad that we recall with respect and fondness. One of mine is the Mickey Adams' one. Collectively they brought the club back from the point of oblivion. After the first three games of this season I was beyond despair. With that defence I could not see us ever winning a game. Then there was a flurry of defensive signings and we got going. Now here we are with a squad that I feel can give any side a game in the Premier. This coming together started with TK's signings and to our young manager Scott who has created such a good attitude and produced a way of playing that the players agree with.
If we do make it and survive to see any of the squad, or the manager, leave will be very disappointing, oh how exciting, with a couple of additions, it would be to see a full season from them. So, whatever happens, I will enjoy watching these last 10 games with a excellent squad managed by an exciting young manager and led by brilliant captain giving their all.  :54: 049:gif

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 

The Old Count

Quote from: bog on March 11, 2021, 09:23:55 AM
Fellow baby boomers will be really enjoying watching this squad. Those who stood on the terraces from back in the late 1940's and then 50's have seen many a squad that we recall with respect and fondness. One of mine is the Mickey Adams' one. Collectively they brought the club back from the point of oblivion. After the first three games of this season I was beyond despair. With that defence I could not see us ever winning a game. Then there was a flurry of defensive signings and we got going. Now here we are with a squad that I feel can give any side a game in the Premier. This coming together started with TK's signings and to our young manager Scott who has created such a good attitude and produced a way of playing that the players agree with.
If we do make it and survive to see any of the squad, or the manager, leave will be very disappointing, oh how exciting, with a couple of additions, it would be to see a full season from them. So, whatever happens, I will enjoy watching these last 10 games with a excellent squad managed by an exciting young manager and led by brilliant captain giving their all.  :54: 049:gif

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 
My sentiments entirely Bog. I'm really enjoying this current side. I loved the Micky Adams team as well. I also very much enjoyed the Bill Dodgin Jnr side of 1970 / 1971.  I must have gone to almost every game that season. Even V Gillingham after Christmas when the BBC and everyone said the match was cancelled due to ice yet it still went ahead with about 2000 of us freezing our nuts off.

bog

Quote from: The Old Count on March 11, 2021, 09:36:44 AM

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 
My sentiments entirely Bog. I'm really enjoying this current side. I loved the Micky Adams team as well. I also very much enjoyed the Bill Dodgin Jnr side of 1970 / 1971.  I must have gone to almost every game that season. Even V Gillingham after Christmas when the BBC and everyone said the match was cancelled due to ice yet it still went ahead with about 2000 of us freezing our nuts off.

Bill does not often get mentioned but like with Mickey Adams he pulled the club round. I was at most of those games as well. What choker that 0-1 to Preston last game of the season.  :016:

filham

Yes bog you are so right this will be one of our memorable teams especially if we avoid the drop.
Just a pitty we are missing a goalscorer , imagine the difference Ivor would make to this team.

Dr Know

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 
I was at the gillingham game , I'm sure the crowd was bigger than 2,000:!

bog

Quote from: filham on March 11, 2021, 11:00:31 AM
Yes bog you are so right this will be one of our memorable teams especially if we avoid the drop.
Just a pitty we are missing a goalscorer , imagine the difference Ivor would make to this team.

Or a fit Louis Saha and his pace? 

Holders

Agree with all the above. I shall never forget that 0-1 v. Preston.

Ricky bloody Heppolette.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mullers OG

Fernhurst

Quote from: Holders on March 11, 2021, 11:25:24 AM

Ricky bloody Heppolette.

Standing at the Putney watching that goal go in at the Hammy. The sinking feeling in my stomach was appalling.
Then had to suffer the sight of Alan Balls dad (Prestons manager at the time) come flying out of the dug out and perform a couple of head-over-heels manoeuvres.
We deserved to be Champions..... but we wasn't.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 11, 2021, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Holders on March 11, 2021, 11:25:24 AM

Ricky bloody Heppolette.

Standing at the Putney watching that goal go in at the Hammy. The sinking feeling in my stomach was appalling.
Then had to suffer the sight of Alan Balls dad (Prestons manager at the time) come flying out of the dug out and perform a couple of head-over-heels manoeuvres.
We deserved to be Champions..... but we wasn't.

I was behind the goal.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

SuffolkWhite

Supermac era for me, some great characters and of course Ivor. Tinged with sadness though as Mr Clay couldn't seethe potential other than his wallet.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

KingofCheese

I think Scott has grown into a very impressive manager - cool, calm but also passionate and his team reflects this. If we stay up I think we could match even Roy's and Chris Coleman's best teams.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

The Old Count

Quote from: Dr Know on March 11, 2021, 11:07:44 AM

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 
I was at the gillingham game , I'm sure the crowd was bigger than 2,000:!
Could well have been. It was bloomin' freezing though. Ice on the terraces at the Hammersmith End.

The Old Count

Quote from: bog on March 11, 2021, 10:14:29 AM

Thank you and good night

092.gif                 

Bill does not often get mentioned but like with Mickey Adams he pulled the club round. I was at most of those games as well. What choker that 0-1 to Preston last game of the season.  :016:
Yes. But we still all gathered on the pitch in front of the cottage and applauded the players. Even with that disappointment.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I remember that Micky Adams season so well.
It began the years I travelled all over the UK, bonding with my daughter who was 8 at that first year.
didn't miss a game that season and we went to every away ground.
One very stand-out memory, we were on our way to Wrexham.
My second name is Penycate and we went through a village Pen-y-cae.
I took a picture of my daughter with her head between the C and the A on the street sign.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jarv

For me, I loved the Alec Stock era, great football. Unlike many of you, I always played football on Saturday afternoon so could only make it to midweek matches which I did regularly (lived in Putney then).

Now, in USA for many years, I can watch every Fulham game on tv. (as long as they are in the premier). Love it this season but my nerves are on edge because every game is so tight and we are in the bottom 3.

So pleased the defence is fixed and I think the midfield is class but would like to see Cairney back for some of his killer passes and ball retention.

bigalffc

I'm with you Bog, love this team now, my addition would be sniffer Clarke in his heyday. Been through all the ups and downs since '59 and seen some great players, Haynes, Cohen, Mullery, Robson in the sixties, but the best era for me was the Malcolm McDonald years. Huge respect though to Woy and our great run in Europe. All in all great club to follow with many ups and downs but no dull years.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

bog

Quote from: bigalffc on March 11, 2021, 04:23:17 PM
I'm with you Bog, love this team now, my addition would be sniffer Clarke in his heyday. Been through all the ups and downs since '59 and seen some great players, Haynes, Cohen, Mullery, Robson in the sixties, but the best era for me was the Malcolm McDonald years. Huge respect though to Woy and our great run in Europe. All in all great club to follow with many ups and downs but no dull years.

If you have not you have to read the Ashwater Press book about Sniffer. Brilliant.

092.gif

Twig

Bog you're right that some squads are remembered with fondness whilst others fade into obscurity.  The Micky Adams squad was a source of pride after years of disappointment.  There have been others, several of them mentioned above; it seems to go in cycles.  Wouldn't it be something of we could stay up, keep the squad together (plus another striker) and perhaps enjoy another European adventure!