https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 16/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 16, 2021, 12:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

MOT View: Joe Gelhardt set for big audition with Leeds under-23s on Monday

Leeds United forward Joe Gelhardt could have been handed the perfect chance to make his senior Premier League debut against Fulham on Friday.

The Whites could be without Patrick Bamford after he limped off against Chelsea, and Rodrigo also wasn't at full fitness after being dragged off by Marcelo Bielsa.

That leaves Tyler Roberts as the only potential option in the final third at Craven Cottage, meaning Bielsa could look elsewhere.

The under-23s entertain Newcastle this afternoon at Thorp Arch, and Bielsa will be keeping a close eye on the young forward.

Gelhardt missed out on the previous win over Wolves in the Premier League 2, and that could all-but-guarantee his spot in Mark Jackson's side.

Sam Greenwood has recently been injured and hasn't returned to full sharpness yet, meaning he is behind in the rankings as things stand.

The former Wigan man has already been on the bench a handful of times in the Premier League but has yet to get onto the pitch for the Whites.

Gelhardt is the one under-23s player every single Leeds fan wants to see make that jump into the first-team this season.

Bamford himself has claimed that the young forward is being compared to Wayne Rooney, and despite the obvious hatred, we can think of worst players to be linked too.

It would do Gelhardt's chances no harm if he were to find the back of the net a couple of times this afternoon against a struggling Newcastle side.

Should he impress on this one-off audition during a potential injury crisis in the final third, Bielsa would have no choice but to hand him at least a big chance off the bench.

https://motleedsnews.com/comment/mot-view-joe-gelhardt-set-for-big-audition-with-leeds-united-under-23s-on-monday/

WhiteJC

Fulham star reveals admiration for Scott Parker – Hints at summer transfer possibility

Fulham midfielder Franck Zambo Anguissa has hailed manager Scott Parker, saying he was able to 'get back into football' due to the Cottagers boss.

Parker has proven to be a big hit at Craven Cottage since taking charge on a permanent basis in May 2019, leading them back to the Premier League in his first full season at the club.

After a difficult start this year, he has also helped turned things around, with the Cottagers having dragged themselves out of the relegation mire to be right in contention to avoid the drop this year.

Key to that has been the form of Zanguissa, who has emerged as a key player under Parker after returning from a loan spell with Villarreal in the summer.

And Anguissa is clearly a fan of his manager, revealing he liked him even before he was in charge of the club.

"I like the man I'm playing with," he told La Provence.

"I like the man he is before he is a coach.

"He is someone who, at a time when I was going through something quite difficult (his injury during his first season), trusted me.

"I was able to get back into football thanks to him."

With the Premier League season drawing to a close, Fulham now find themselves within touching distance of escaping the relegation zone.

There is a growing belief that they can escape the drop, but Anguissa says they are not counting their chickens just yet.

"We are all 'focused' on our goal of staying up, and it shows in the way we play. We're not giving up; we're not calculating," he added.

"I hope that my team will be able to maintain their position, and at that point, I could say to myself 'Frank, what do you want to do?"

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-star-reveals-admiration-scott-parker-hints-summer-transfer-possibility/

WhiteJC

Leeds United's injury list in full as Marcelo Bielsa sweats on key duo ahead of Fulham trip

Liam Cooper was absent from the 0-0 draw with Chelsea, while Patrick Bamford limped off before half-time

Leeds United have a short week of preparation coming up ahead of this Friday night's clash at Fulham.

An encouraging goalless draw at home to Chelsea on Saturday snapped a two-match losing streak for Marcelo Bielsa's side who are now eyeing a long-overdue win in the capital to kick off the weekend's Premier League action.

Injuries have played a significant role in Leeds' season so far and a number of question marks will remain ahead of the trip to Craven Cottage.

Liam Cooper missed out against the Blues, while Patrick Bamford was forced off, although there was better news concerning Pascal Struijk, who returned to play the full 90 minutes, while Robin Koch returned to the bench after a three-month absence and Jamie Shackleton also made the matchday squad.

Here is a look at United's current injury list ahead of the clash.
Liam Cooper

The Leeds United skipper was a surprise absentee from the matchday squad to face to Chelsea, with Bielsa confirming after the match that the defender missed out through illness.

Bielsa should deliver a further update in his pre-match press conference which is likely to take place on Wednesday.
Patrick Bamford

Leeds suffered another blow during the first half against Chelsea when Patrick Bamford went down injured after contesting a ball with Antonio Rudiger. After getting initial treatment on the pitch and trying to run off what appeared to be a leg injury, Bamford was eventually substituted ten minutes before half-time .

Bielsa was unable to give an update in his post-match press conference as he had not yet checked in with his medical staff. Again, we expect to hear more later in the week.

Rodrigo replaced Bamford against Chelsea and himself was substituted late on, with Bielsa confirming that down to the Spaniard still building up his match fitness, rather than any fresh issue.
Pablo Hernandez

A muscular problem has sidelined Hernandez for Leeds' last two matches in what has been a stop-start season for the Spaniard back in the Premier League.

Bielsa confirmed 'a small muscular issue' following last week's 2-0 defeat at West Ham.
Robin Koch

Koch's return to the bench came after the German centre-back completed a three-month layoff following knee surgery.

He did not feature against Thomas Tuchel's side, but he is expected to turn out for Leeds' under-23s who take on Newcastle on Monday afternoon.

"We think he will," Bielsa said when asked if the Magpies match would see Koch's return to action. "I would like to think so, but I don't want to confirm because I don't want to say something which then turns out to be an error."
Adam Forshaw

Bielsa gave a fresh update on the midfielder's ongoing recovery from a hip issue ahead of the West Ham match.

"I could not assure you," Bielsa said when asked if Forshaw was nearing a return with the under-23s.

"He's been absent for a long time now. He's in a positive moment in his recovery, but that positive moment has to be extended for a while longer without any setbacks for this to allow him to return to competitive football. What is true is he works tirelessly and continuously. He makes the maximum effort to come back and play."

Bielsa was then asked how much of a challenge it would be to get Forshaw up to Premier League speed.

"I would not be able to tell you this. It depends on the response he gives at the time. What I can say is he when he is healthy he has great quality."

This came after the man himself gave a positive update last month.

"It's been hard for me," the midfielder said on the My Conversations with the Pope podcast. "I've got to be careful with what I say because the club probably want me to do an exclusive when I am fit, sooner rather than later.

"The manager came out last week and he said a couple of nice things like because I do look after myself when I am back training it won't take me long to get back up to speed."

Forshaw has been out of action since September 2019 with a hip problem that required surgery in the United States more than 12 months ago.
To sign up to our Leeds United newsletter, click here.
Suspensions - none

The mid-season cut-off point for a one-match ban for five yellow cards has been and gone, so no Leeds players are at risk of immediate suspension.

Kalvin Phillips and Mateusz Klich are on six yellows for the season, while Luke Ayling and Stuart Dallas have been cautioned five times this term.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-injury-list-fulham-19450618

WhiteJC

Fulham are 'raring to go' against Leeds, says Aina

Ola Aina insists that Fulham's second half collapse against Manchester City will have no impact on the side as they prepare for Friday night's meeting with Leeds United.

Having held the champions' elect quite comfortably in a competitive first half, Fulham conceded three goals in thirteen second half minutes to slump to defeat at Craven Cottage on Saturday. Aina told FFCTV that the Whites were already looking forward to putting things right against Marcelo Bielsa's men:

"We're raring to go, if we had Leeds in an hour we'd be ready to go. We'll just recover well and get ready for that one. The position we're in, we have to just take it game by game. Good or bad results, we have to take it and move on and look forward to the next one, because ultimately there's a goal that we need to achieve at the end of the season, so we can't dwell on bad results.

"First half I felt like we really made it tough for them. We gave them a tough first half. I felt like we shut off their options, and we created a few openings of our own. And obviously in the second half, it was a few mistakes that end the game for us really. We haven't had mistakes like that for a long time, since the beginning of the season.

"It's frustrating that we made them because it's not in our character, but these things happen. We're only human. We have to take it on the chin and just move on. The mistakes have happened and it killed us a bit, but I feel the team still gave a good fight.

"Everyone knows about Man City, everyone knows they're such a good side and they've got good depth in their squad, but we felt like we could've definitely got something from the game. If we don't make the mistakes then we do give them a run for their money, in my opinion. But we have to just take it as it is and move onto Leeds.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/fulham-are-raring-to-go-against-leeds-says-aina/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon named in England U21 European Championship squad

Fulham full back Steven Sessegnon has been named in England's under 21 European Championship squad this morning.

The 20 year-old, who is currently on loan at Bristol City, has been selected by England under 21 manager Aidy Boothrooyd for the finals, which get underway in Hungary and Slovenia later this month. Sessegnon, who has won three caps for England at under 21 level, has made eight first team appearances during an injury-hit loan spell at Ashton Gate. His twin brother Ryan, on loan at Hoffenheim this term, is also in the squad.

England have been drawn alongside Portugal, Switzerland and Croatia in Group D. Their campaign kicks off against the Swiss in Koper on 25th March.

Speaking to the Bristol Post, Sessegnon said:

"I found out about it [the call-up to the European Championship squad] a couple of days ago. Having been around the set-up before it wasn't my first time but I'm still very proud and very happy. Throughout my recovery and the strengthening of my hamstring, it was an aim of mine.

Asked for his thoughts on England's chances in the tournament, Sessegnon was characteristically positive:

"Always believe – my age group and the groups around us have got some really good players and as a group, we get on really well. I believe we can do a lot of great things."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/sessegnon-named-in-england-u21-european-championship-squad/

WhiteJC

'I've got his number' - Soccer Saturday discussion shows pundits are waking up to Newcastle's plight

Newcastle United remain two points clear of the relegation zone following a 1-1 draw against Aston Villa and the Magpies' situation was discussed on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday

Newcastle United's fate remains in their own hands but supporters have been reduced to hoping results elsewhere go their way as the Magpies hover above the relegation zone.

Steve Bruce's side currently lie in 17th place in the Premier League following just two victories since December 16 and the black-and-whites are now the bookies' favourites for the drop alongside Sheffield United and West Brom, who are both doomed.

Although Jamaal Lascelles' 94th-minute equaliser secured a precious point for Newcastle against Aston Villa on Friday night, only one result elsewhere ultimately went the Magpies' way over the weekend after Man City beat 18th-placed Fulham.

Burnley moved five points clear of Newcastle with an impressive win at Everton while Brighton leapfrogged the black-and-whites into 16th with a victory against Southampton.

Newcastle could go into Saturday's six-pointer against Brighton in the bottom three if Fulham beat Leeds at Craven Cottage 24 hours previously.

The Magpies' situation was discussed on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday by host Jeff Stelling and pundits Paul Merson, Clinton Morrison, Lee Hendrie and Kris Boyd.

Stelling : "It's finished a 1-1 draw, which now leaves Newcastle two points clear of Fulham, but they are now favourites to go down. What did you make of the result?"

Merson : "Well, obviously, fortunate at the end going 1-0 down in the 86th minute - you'll take a point all day long. I think it was the game before, Jeff. I think it was the West Brom game for me. I highlighted both these games to win but I just think with Fulham winning their game [against Liverpool], it threw an absolute spanner in the works. I worry for Newcastle. I really do worry for them now but they did fight back and get that point. For me, it was a good time to play Aston Villa. I've said it before: without Jack Grealish in the team, you can take the Villa out of Aston Villa and I stick by my words. They are an absolute one-man team. If anyone wants to sit and tell me not...

Stelling : "Clinton, Newcastle are a hard watch, aren't they? That's for sure. But do you get the bookmakers thinking here? They've got Brighton away next, which is obviously a massive game, but after that, they've got matches against Spurs, West Ham, Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester and Manchester City."

Morrison : "That's why they're the favourites to go down. That run of games you just mentioned Jeff - they're hard games. But you never know. When you're in this position, and you show that togetherness, you might get a few results. I think the big game - you're right - is next week against Brighton. It's a huge game. I actually thought, watching the game, Newcastle were the better team. It wasn't a pretty game to watch. If I wasn't working today, I probably would've switched over because it wasn't an interesting game. I'm being honest with you. It lacked a lot of quality.

"You look at Joelinton - he had chances where he was driving forward and it's just a centre-forward who hasn't got confidence since he's moved and they've struggled. I thought [Joe] Willock had a good game but until they get Callum Wilson, [Miguel] Almiron, [Allan] Saint-Maximin back, I think Newcastle do look doomed but you just never know Jeff. I think it will go down to the last game of the season, when they play Fulham, but it's going to be really difficult. They do need to start picking up results."

Merson : "Really?"

Morrison :" I do think so Merse. I've always said it. I just think they might start picking up results. I know a lot of people might say, 'You're crazy Clinton' and most times I am crazy but I just think they've got a good chance and it's going to go right down to the wire."

Stelling : "Afterwards Lee, Steve Bruce said you're only as good as your strikers in which case he's in big trouble, isn't he? Joelinton's got to the stage where he's just afraid to shoot. He's so lacking in confidence."

Hendrie : "What has he got - one in 29? His return has just been woeful, hasn't it? At times he's playing out wide. I just don't feel he's got the pace to play out in that area. I'd rather see him actually play through the middle and just leave him up there and play Dwight Gayle off him and you've got plenty of pace. When he's filtering out...a ball went down the flanks and I think Tyrone Mings just got across. I don't see what they see in him to be honest."

Boyd : "Do you not think he ends up in the wide areas because he doesn't want to be through the middle with the potential of maybe missing chances? I know that sounds silly as a striker but he's missed that many that he seems to take himself wide because he doesn't want to miss them?"

Hendrie : "I think that's a great shout to be fair. Sometimes you can go hiding out on those flanks but you can't hide really, can you? You're going out there and you're getting picked out."

Morrison : "You watch the two games. The West Brom game he has an opportunity and Boydy and Lee are right. He goes through on the right-hand side and he tries to square it to [Ryan] Fraser. As a centre-forward, put your foot through it. On Friday night, he goes through again and I'm thinking, 'Have a shot!' He tries to square it - he misses everyone in the box. That's a centre-forward you've paid a lot of money for. If Callum Wilson is in that position, he isn't passing. He's putting his foot through it. That's where it's going to be a struggle."

Stelling : "He's got seven in 71 for the club. Three in 60 league games. Actually, Kris, when you looked at the game, it looked to me, a lot of the time, as if Newcastle weren't playing with any sort of orthodox centre-forward because Joelinton was drifting wide on one side and Dwight Gayle was drifting wide on the other side."

Boyd : "Jeff, I watched Love Island Australia, I must admit. I didn't even make it to half-time. You're right. I think it's been a common theme for Newcastle all season. If Callum Wilson doesn't play, they don't really look like scoring. We saw Joelinton break into the box but you never ever sit and think to yourself, 'This is going to be a goal'. There are players who will go through and you think, 'If you give them half a chance, they're going to score'. But, with Newcastle, unless it's a set-play or a mistake from the opposition, you never watch a Newcastle game and think, 'They're going to cut this team open and create opportunities.'"

Merse : "You go through the teams. Fulham won at Everton then they won at Liverpool. Brighton have won at Liverpool. Burnley have won at Liverpool. Newcastle won at Everton when Everton were flying. Who's going to have that big result at the end of the season when you come into the dressing room afterwards and go, 'Oh, I can't believe they've beat them'. That's what it's going to come down to at the end of the season. Who has that big result again? They've all done it once. They've got to do it again."

Hendrie : "But, Merse, Callum Wilson is massive in that team. I tell you that now. You've got to look back a couple of months ago. Callum Wilson was playing on his own up top on his own. Completely on his own. In that formation, and that's what Kris is on about, it's someone getting across. Someone who's going to be that goal threat. I think the sooner he gets back in that team, the more of a chance they've got of staying up."

Merse : "They don't get a million chances."

Morrison : "Hang on, I'll message him. I've got his number so I'll find out! He'll be back soon."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-soccer-saturday-pundits-discussion-20159368

WhiteJC

Opinion: QPR should make sealing transfer deal for this 30-year-old a priority this summer

Stefan Johansen has been an excellent addition to QPR's midfield, starting every game since his January loan move from Fulham.

The Norway international may have struggled against Huddersfield Town on Saturday, but he has emerged as one of the club's standout performers of late.

In his ten appearances for the R's thus far, they have picked up 19 points, with himself and Charlie Austin proving to be brilliant January signings.

Not only is the 30-year-old a tenacious ball-winner who thrives doing the dirty work, but he is also a player who possesses the technical ability to start attacks from deep and retain possession in pressurised situations.

Bar the 1-0 defeat against Huddersfield Town, fans have been singing his praises and are hoping that the Norwegian's loan deal could be made permanent in the summer.

Johansen himself, has settled in very well into life at QPR. He may only be a few miles away from his parent club Fulham, but he finds himself in a completely different scenario with the R's, where consistent game-time is almost a certainty.

The 30-year-old's availability in summer is expected to be dependent on whether Fulham can escape relegation back down to the second tier. Should they manage to remain a Premier League club next season, Johansen will most likely move on. QPR would be one of the more suitable destinations should such a situation arise, but it would not be that straightforward.

Johansen was brought into the club because of the injuries to Luke Amos and Tom Carroll. Amos has spent the majority of the season sidelined, whilst Carroll's injury in late January seemingly forced the club to dip into the loan market as the window was nearing a close.

With both players expected back before the start of next season, there are questions about whether a move for Johansen would be necessary.

If Fulham get relegated back to the Championship, Scott Parker might view the Norway international as a player that he needs in the division. He played a starring role in the first half of their promotion-winning campaign last year but found it difficult to reclaim a starting spot after Harry Arter and Harrison Reed formed a strong midfield partnership.

There are a lot of factors to consider regarding Johansen's future.

It remains heavily reliant on Fulham's survival push and whether the return of Amos and Carroll would deter QPR from making a move.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/opinion-qpr-should-make-sealing-transfer-deal-for-this-30-year-old-a-priority-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Koch return gives Leeds get major first-team fitness boost

Leeds United have been handed a huge fitness boost ahead of the Fulham game on Friday night after Robin Koch came through his Under-23s match unscathed on Monday.

Koch played the first 45 minutes of the game in the holding midfield role and put in a few crunching tackles that showed he's back to full fitness and not lost any confidence.

Koch has been out since December when he injured his knee in the 3-1 defeat to Chelsea.

Leeds have particularly missed Koch as he was brought in to cover for Kalvin Phillips as well as play at centre-back.

Leeds have suffered with injuries at the back and have struggled to replace Phillips when he was out injured.

Flawless display

Koch was on the bench on Saturday but only because of Liam Cooper being struck down by illness.

Bielsa had said he wanted him to play in the under-23s first but he was so good today that we expect him to be on the bench again on Friday whether Cooper is back or not.

If Phillips were to miss the game we think Koch would go straight into the side in the holding midfield position.

With Ian Poveda, Gaetano Berardi and Jamie Shackleton also playing for the Under-23s, Leeds are almost back to full strength for the first time this season.

But it's Koch that is the real difference-maker because of his versatility and command in the holding midfield role.

This is a major boost for Leeds and it means that Diego Llorente and Pascal Struijk are going to have to perform to keep their places in the side.

Liam Cooper might even struggle to get back in the side now when he recovers.

You can watch a replay of Koch in the under-23s for Leeds on the club's official YouTube channel.

https://motleedsnews.com/matchday/leeds-united-get-huge-first-team-fitness-boost-ahead-if-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Andersen earns Denmark call-up

Fulham defender Joachim Andersen has been called up to the Denmark squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Israel, Moldova and Austria.

Andersen, whose only previous international cap came in a 4-0 win over Luxembourg in 2019, has been rewarded following his fine form during his loan spell at Craven Cottage. The 24 year-old has been an ever present at the heart of Fulham's defence since joining on loan from Lyon in October and has captained the side in the absence of Tom Cairney. The centre back has made 23 Premier League appearances, keeping nine clean sheets, as Scott Parker's side have dramatically improved their chances of beating the drop.

Denmark have been drawn alongside Scotland in Group F of the UEFA qualifying. Their quest to reach the finals in Qatar next year begins with a trip to Israel on Thursday 25 March, with a home fixture against Moldova in Herning on Sunday 28 March and an away tie against the Austrians on the following Wednesday.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/andersen-earns-denmark-call-up/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker makes Fulham vow ahead of Leeds United clash
SCOTT Parker says his Fulham side will act quickly to learn from their 3-0 defeat to Manchester City in time for Friday's showdown against Leeds United at Craven Cottage.

The third-bottom Cottagers gave their Premier League survival hopes an almighty boost with the previous weekend's 1-0 win at Liverpool but second-half strikes from John Stones and Gabriel Jesus plus a Sergio Aguero penalty gave City a 3-0 win at Craven Cottage on Saturday night.

Fulham are now two points behind fourth-bottom Newcastle United who also have a game in hand.

Leeds, who sit 12th, are ten points ahead of Parker's side and having played one game less.

The Whites and Cottagers will lock horns at Craven Cottage in an 8pm kick-off on Friday night.

Asked if the City game was one to write off, Parker said as quoted by football.london: "Not one to write off.

"Of course we need to move on quick but it's not to write off because of the manner we conceded goals.

"It'll certainly be one we look on and work out where we made mistakes, where to get better in those moments and improve.

"That's key but we'll do that quickly, analyse that and move on to Leeds on Friday."

Reflecting on Saturday's contest as a whole, Parker said: "In the first half we took the game to Man City and played very well.

"We were solid out of possession.

"I asked the team to be brave in terms of setting up man to man in midfield. We did that very, very well and then it was some sloppy goals in 15 minutes in the second half. It's something we're not accustomed to seeing really.

"The set play goal was poor and then it was two individual errors that Man City pounced on. And the game was over at that point really.

"I asked the team to be brave and show some real courage. That's what you have to do against a top side like Man City if you're to try and leave a mark and have an affect on the game. We did that but the mistakes and goals we let in were poor goals."

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/scott-parker-makes-fulham-vow-ahead-of-leeds-united-clash-3166710

WhiteJC

Fulham U23s slip to defeat at Stoke

Fulham's under 23 side were narrowly beaten by promotion-chasing Stoke City at the bet365 Stadium with teenage striker Douglas Taylor grabbing the only goal of the game.

The Potters made it six wins in a row after Taylor pounced in the nineteenth minute, controlling a clever ball inside from D'Margio Wright-Phillips and finding the bottom corner with a composed low finish. The hosts had began brightly, seeing plenty of the ball, but had struggled to create clear chances before their front three isolated captain Conor McAvoy and took the lead. Stoke skipper Ethan Varian had sent their best opening wide when he headed past Taye Ashby-Hammond's far post with the Fulham goalkeeper well beaten.

The visitors, who included several members of their under-18 side for the trip to the Potteries, recovered well from going a goal down. They thought they had grabbed an equaliser almost immediately through Tyrese Francois's fine finish from just outside the box, but an offside flag against Jean-Pierre Tiehi controversially ruled out the goal. Mika Biereth and Ollie O'Neill combined cleverly but the Irish midfielder's curling effort drifted agonisingly wide.

Ashby-Hammond did well to deny Stoke a second when Wright-Phillips appeared destined to double the home side's lead – and Fulham stepped up their search for an equaliser after the break. It almost arrived early in the second half when Francois found Sylvester Jasper down the left wing and his low cross almost reached Biereth for a tap in, only for Connor Taylor to snuff out the danger with a brilliant last-ditch tackle.

Former Dundalk midfielder Gabby Adebambo struck the post with an effort from distance and, although Stoke enjoyed plenty of possession, they created little else to overly test Ashby-Hammond in the Fulham goal. Jay Stansfield continued his comeback from a lengthy ankle lay-off with half an hour as a substitute, but Colin Omogbehin's youngsters couldn't force an equaliser despite a concerted spell of late pressure. Jasper and Adrian Pajaziti both had shots blocked on what was ultimately a frustrating afternoon for the young Whites.

STOKE CITY U23s (4-3-3): Bursik; Coates, Jones, Macari, C. Taylor; Malone, Adebambo, Goodwin; D. Wright-Phillips (Jarrett 78), D. Taylor (Sy 69), Varian. Subs (not used): Hemfrey, Okagbue, Malbon.

GOAL: Taylor (19).

FULHAM U23s (4-3-3): T. Ashby-Hammond; Duru, Larkeche, Bowat, McAvoy; Pajaziti, O'Neill, Francois; Jasper, Biereth, Tiehi (Stansfield 63). Subs (not used): Borto, J. Aina, Odutayo.

BOOKED: Pajaziti.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/fulham-u23s-slip-to-defeat-at-stoke/

WhiteJC

Every word Steven Sessegnon said on England U21 call-up, Nigel Pearson and Bristol City future

The on-loan Fulham defender has provided a vital role on the left-hand side amid the Robins crippling injury crisis

Left-back has been a problem position for Bristol City for much of the last two seasons.

It's not as if the Robins haven't been blessed with quality or reliability in the position, it's just they've been plagued with terrible fortune as Jay Dasilva (twice), Tommy Rowe, Cam Pring and Steven Sessegnon have all been beset by medium to long-term injuries since the start of the 2019/20 campaign.

Of that group, Dasilva and Pring remain on the absentee list, while Rowe is nearing a comeback, however it's Sessegnon who's stepped in at just the right time to give Nigel Pearson's defence balance and consistency.

It's not his natural position, as Sessegnon has tended to be fielded on the right-hand side for parent club Fulham but, at the same time, part of the reason why he has signed was because of his flexibility.

Over the last three matches he's brought a familiarity to the position as he's regained full match fitness following a long absence with a hamstring injury sustained in October, something which has only added to the challenge of integrating into a new team.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday's match against Blackburn, Sessegnon was also able to celebrate a place in Aidy Boothroyd's England Under-21 squad for the group stages of the European Championships, which take place later this month.

The 20-year-old also discussed Nigel Pearson, settling in Bristol and what the future holds for him as his loan from Fulham is due to expire at the end of the season ...

When did you find out about your England Under-21 call-up and what was your reaction?

I found out about it a couple of days ago. Having been around the set-up before it wasn't my first time but I'm still very proud and very happy. Throughout my recovery and the strengthening of my hamstring, it was an aim of mine [the Euros].

Did you think your injury would hamper your chances?

I wanted to come back, play as many games as possible to the best of my ability and whatever happens, happens. Some injuries happened and I've been able to get my foot through the door so I'm very happy.

How do you rate England's chances at the European Championships?

Always believe - my age group and the groups around us have got some really good players and as a group, we get on really well. I believe we can do a lot of great things.

What has been the difference between working under Dean Holden and Nigel Pearson?

They are two very strong-minded individuals - it didn't work out [for Holden] but we've worked well as a group throughout and there is a lot of positivity around the group. That has stayed the same since the start of the season.

How disappointing was it to get an injury so soon after joining?

It was shame, I was starting to really settle in and was ready to start playing a run of games. But it's the past and I'm just looking ahead to the future now.

It took a couple of games to get going but I'm happy to be in the position that I am.

I'm starting to understand myself after this hamstring injury and how I can manage myself on the pitch. And just from there, going game by game, picking up small things in my game which I can improve and I am happy to do it.

How have you found switching to left-back?

I don't mind at all. Since I was young and in the academy set-up I've played on either side so I've never had to panic or been a situation where I've had to think too much. It's just come naturally.

It's never been a problem for me. I feel like as long as I can be trusted in any position then I'm happy to play wherever. I have the belief so it's not a problem at all.

What are you plans beyond this summer?

To be honest, my mind has been on Bristol City. With the games we lost it was a shame because I was looking forward to a late push [for the play-offs]. It's not impossible but we'll take things game by game and my mind is on the club and how we can finish the season strongly.

Would you like to stay at Bristol City?

We'll see - it's a great city, a great club. I was blown away with how nice the city and the people here are. It's definitely different to London! But we'll see, it's not on my mind right now.

What are your thought on facing Blackburn on Wednesday night?

They're a very, very good team. I played with Harvey Elliott at Fulham and ever since he came into the first team at 16 he was a breath of fresh air. He was an amazing player so I look forward to going up against him.

What are your aims for the season run-in?

I want to contribute to this great team as much as possible. And wherever we end up, we end up. I don't want the team to have many regrets and individually I want to give the team my all and whatever happens, happens.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/steven-sessegnon-bristol-city-england-5184322

WhiteJC

Other Teams We Love: Fulham FC

Sharp kits, classic stadium and McBridinho. What more could you need?

In the middle of the pandemic, when we were starved for any shred of football news, we kicked off a new series called Other Teams We Love, which, as the name suggests, provides us an opportunity to show a little love to some other football clubs we support outside of AS Roma. Already in this series we've explored my affection for Pescara, which would technically be my "home town" club, we looked at Jonas' fond memories of Werder Bremen's 2003 squad and enjoyed Steven's appreciation for AC Siena, a club that captured a piece of his heart during a semester abroad.

This series has been a hell of a lot of fun to explore, so we hope you're enjoying it as much as we are, and the latest stop in this tour brings us to Southwest London. Specifically, to the borough of Hammersmith and Fulham on the north bank of the River Thames, and more specifically to Craven Cottage, the home of Fulham Football Club since 1896.

In the early 2000s, spurred in part by the United States' miraculous run in the 2002 World Cup, my once hardened (an ill-informed) opinion of the world's most popular sport gradually softened. Thanks in part to the exploits of Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, and Brian McBride—not to mention the cult of David Beckham, the wellspring of Ronaldinho dribbling videos that dominated the early days of video sharing, and that fella wearing #10 for Italy—the sport I once assumed was slow, boring, and reserved for kids whose parents wouldn't let them play "real" football (the one where you don't use your feet but instead rammed your skull into the skull of another human) was soon revealed as anything but.

Spurred by this revelation, I began the desperate search for a club to call my own, a path that would eventually lead me to Roma. While conventional wisdom holds that all roads lead to Rome, I made a few stops before I reached the Eternal City, one of which wound its way to a quaint little 25,000 seater called Craven Cottage.

I wasn't an expert on English football, but I had no delusions about where Fulham stood: perpetually and barely hanging onto life in the Premiership. It wasn't for the faint of heart, but people don't flock to Fulham for titles, so what exactly drew me to The Cottagers?

This guy, the McBridinho himself, Brian McBride:

Signed by Fulham in the winter of 2004, McBride certainly wasn't the first American to test his mettle in England, but he was arguably the first outfield player to make a genuine impact, and certainly the first goal scorer of any repute to make the jump across the Atlantic. Twice a club player of the year, McBride would make over 150 appearances while scoring 40 goals for the Lily Whites in all competitions.

Inspired in part by McBride's success, Fulham tapped the Lower 48 two more times, bringing defender Carlos Bocanegra aboard in the same window as McBride before signing Clint Dempsey in 2006.

Dempsey, a.k.a. Deuce, took McBride's accomplishments to an entirely different level. Plying his trade at Craven Cottage for parts of six seasons, Dempsey scored 60 goals in all competitions, including an impressive 23 during the 2011-2012 season, which he then parlayed into a relatively high profile move to Tottenham, one that made him the highest-paid American footballer in the world.

McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey weren't the only Americans to ever suit up for Fulham, they weren't even the first, but their rise to prominence with the US National Team coincided with my burgeoning football fandom, so it was a natural connection.

Speaking of connections, Roma and Fulham have met once before (well, twice to be exact), in the inaugural Europa League during the 2009-2010 season. The first leg, held at Craven Cottage, was one to remember for Roma fans:

Watch that clip all the way to the end and you'll see Marco Andreolli's one and only shining moment in a Roma shirt. In the 90th minute, with Roma down to their last touch of the ball, Andreolli settled David Pizarro's corner, took a touch, and deftly stroked the ball into the back of the net, securing a 1-1 draw and grabbing a precious away goal in the process.

Roma would win the return leg at the Olimpico 2-1 thanks to goals from John Arne Riise and Stefano Okaka and would advance from the group before falling to Panathinaikos by a 6-4 aggregate scoreline in the knockout stages.

I lost track of Fulham over the years (though I did watch them earn promotion last summer), but on that one glorious Southwest London evening, my two loves collided, and while Roma quickly and completely eclipsed Fulham in my heart, I'll be forever indebted to The Cottagers for helping my football fandom grow from a whisper to a roar.

https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2021/3/15/22150014/other-teams-we-love-fulham-fc

WhiteJC

TWO 8PM KICK-OFFS CONFIRMED

Fulham's matches against Midlands sides Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers in early April will now each kick-off at 8pm.

The date of the Villa Park fixture – Saturday 3rd April – has not changed, with the game being shown live on Sky Sports.*

The Wolves clash at Craven Cottage will now, though, be played on Friday 9th April, televised by BT Sport.

*The Aston Villa match is subject to change, dependent upon the participation of Premier League clubs in the Champions League the following Tuesday.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Two-8pm-Kick-Offs-Confirmed/