watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Doomed certainly not, this is No Surrender

Started by Woolly Mammoth, March 20, 2021, 01:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

By the Beard of ZEUS what is this talk of throwing in the towel and White Flag sung by Dido.
No more Doom Mongering. Did King Henry V throw in the towel at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 when facing a larger overwhelming force, no he did not because his bowmen and superior tactics out fought the overwhelming odds and despite being out numbered eight to one we sent the enemy back crushed to pulp retreating in another direction. A superb away win and a clean sheet to boot.
The same at the Battle of Rorkes Drift in 1879, once again despite overwhelming odds and completely outnumbered we repelled the opponents and lived to tell the tale. Yes 1879 how ironic is that the year Fulham were founded, is that a good sign, I think it is because I measure a team in how they climb up
off the deck not how they go down. It is not how tall you are it is how high you jump. It is not the man in the fight it is the fight in the man.
Strength does not come from winning alone, your troubles develop your strengths, when you decide not to surrender that is strength.
So no more more talk of doom mongering, and Scott Parker will no doubt say to the players, see that brick wall over there, run through it and come out fighting on the other side.
THIS IS NOT THE BEGINNING OF THE END, IT IS JUST THE END OF THE BEGINNING.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

That's the spirit Woolly. Stay positive and never give up

WindyCity

No surrender?  Sure looked like surrender to me.  But then again, my eyesight isn't very good.......

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on March 20, 2021, 03:06:36 PM
No surrender?  Sure looked like surrender to me.  But then again, my eyesight isn't very good.......

You are welcome to borrow my glasses, after this we are bouncing back like there is no tomorrow.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

I thought we kept going, battling, and trying to score, right to the end  of the game last night.

Just, on the night, they   did a job on us, with their all action, pacey, closing down tactics, which we must have been expecting to be fair, but  I think Scott set us up to attack and get a win, and  weren't as sound defensively as we have been.

But i couldn't fault the players for effort, and sure they are mortified by what happened last night, when we did come close to scoring, and created good chances, though couldn't put it away, and  made defensive  errors that we thought had been eliminated - due to nerves and pressure?

But i expect  the manager to get the plays up for the next  game - still all to play for.
COYW!!!

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2021, 03:10:02 PM
You are welcome to borrow my glasses, after this we are bouncing back like there is no tomorrow.

Well Woolman, all I can say is, I hope you're right!  I've pretty much given up hope.  I don't look forward to multiple years spent in lower tiers, as most of our 'best' current players flee and FFC embarks on a massive rebuild project.  It's gonna be brutal.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on March 20, 2021, 03:16:54 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2021, 03:10:02 PM

Well Woolman, all I can say is, I hope you're right!  I've pretty much given up hope.  I don't look forward to multiple years spent in lower tiers, as most of our 'best' current players flee and FFC embarks on a massive rebuild project.  It's gonna be brutal.

I fully understand your concerns WindyCity I am trying to keep spirits up all round as I feel all is not lost. Yes we are flirting very close to the trap door, but the reason why I feel we have a fighting chance because of the kind of football we have played recently. 12 possible points out of 24 I hope would be enough and 4 wins out of 8 is not too much to ask, otherwise as you say if we go down the consequences of that would concern me also as the way back to the Premier may be a step too far, as rebooting the team at the start of every season the way we do will not encourage stability, we really need to hold on to our membership of the Premier if we are to progress and not tread water or in our case treacle as you cannot rule out us going backwards.
Look at it like a game of Snakes and Ladders, we have climbed up the ladder we do not want to slide down the snake back to square one.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Until it is not mathematically possible I will still believe. This is what great escapes are made of. The report in the Mail today was very fair to us. Not that that wins points but I was expecting vitriolic carnage.

092.gif

filham

I like the fighting spirit Woolly but i have to ask if Henry V had marksmen better than ours, suspect the answer may be that recorded stats show they achieved a 90% hit rate.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Fulham Tup North

I was so upset after last nights performance..... so many had an off day... 8 matches remaining and needing 4 wins.... it's possible..... but not with any more performances like this......
I was at Man City when we were down at halftime.... until it is over I shall keep believing.... but I have to admit it is heart over head if I'm honest...
COYW ⚽️⚽️⚽️
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

colinwhite

We are going to stay up Woolley.We will have other losses but we will bounce back next game,of that I am sure.

Cambridge Pete

Well said Wooley. I didn't see the game until last night (had a cataract done on Friday). I thought they looked a bit stressed and Andersen has said something similar. I still think we can stay in this Division. The International break (Covid and Injuries allowing) could be a Godsend. Your analogies with famous battles won against overwhelming odds left out the Battle of Britain. Bit OTT but I like it 064.gif Looking at Newcastles last nine it is up to us. We can do it. COYW

bog

I did not see the game live only last night's highlights. Their keeper made two very good saves and Lookman miskicked in front of goal at 1-1. The commentator made us sound very poor, we may not have been top quality but I don't think this is over. Newcastle were absolute cack. Look at their run in. Could all be down to that last game of the season. What a prospect!  COYW!  049:gif

092.gif

Holders

After this weekend's fixtures, despite our disappointing loss, our goal difference over Newcastle has nevertheless improved by two. Keep it like that and we just need to match them on points. All still to play for.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2021, 01:54:51 PM
THIS IS NOT THE BEGINNING OF THE END, IT IS JUST THE END OF THE BEGINNING.

So True, I cannot see Newcastle getting two points more than us between now and the last game, which means this season won't be over until the final whistle and if we don't think we can beat Newcastle then we are in the wrong division.

More importantly, even if we lose the last game and get relegated, it is not over as we are so much better positioned financial to come back up than last time we went down and even better than Norwich at the start of this season in terms of squad.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Fulham v Newcastle could be the most important and valuable fixture in the World, the Championship final each year.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

hovewhite

Only the strong survive, he who dares woolly.

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 22, 2021, 09:35:46 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on March 22, 2021, 06:31:02 PM
Only the strong survive, he who dares woolly.

Indeed sir.

Fulham will be in Premier League for 2022/23 (whether we stay up or not), provided Shahid Khan backs Tony Khan to the absolute máximum allowed FFP and we stick with all the current staff (or replace anyone that leaves with quality although we struggle with this) plus add a high quality additions in attack.