watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The three teams that went down last year

Started by Andy S, March 24, 2021, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Have all coped quite well and two out of the three are looking at an immediate return. Out of the teams looking precarious in the prem this year who is likely to get promoted back immediately?

filham

Well our problem would be that our loan players would leave and we would once again have to rebuid which would not really start until the window closes.

ChesterTheTabby

Oddly enough, I can't see any of the current bottom three bouncing back
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Andy S

Those were exactly my thoughts. I think the gap has grown so wide in the last few years if you drop the way back is far from easy

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Andy S on March 25, 2021, 08:39:39 PM
Those were exactly my thoughts. I think the gap has grown so wide in the last few years if you drop the way back is far from easy

I'm confused, does it not make it easier for the PL teams to get back if the gap has widen?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on March 24, 2021, 09:46:26 AM
Well our problem would be that our loan players would leave and we would once again have to rebuid which would not really start until the window closes.

Tony Khan has planned for yo-yoing and think we are well prepared if we go down to bounce back up (probably sell Anguissa, bring back our loan players, buy Maja, and buy a right winger).

I don't think Tony Khan knows exactly the plan if we stay up and won't get it 100% right, but that's a problem (what to do if we stay up) that we still all want.

We Are Premier League

I actually think WBA will have a decent chance. They have not spent any money the last few years so they will not be forced to sell much if relegated. I actually think hey already have a top Championship team, which is why they are getting relegated...

Diangana, Pereira, Grant, Zohore, Robinson and most defenders will all work well when relegated, they just need to get a couple of CM's on loan (like this season).

Sheffield could be in big trouble, they must be desperate for cash spending 120m the last couple of season and i cant see much interest in any players except Berge and Ramsdale.

Newcastle have a massive squad so they might be albe to sell a few players and still be very competitive.

WBA and Newcastle to go straight back up next season.

Whitestone

The gulf in class between the Premier League and Championship is considerable. So much so that any relegated team that has their finances sorted and not in danger of falling foul of FFP regulations has a great chance of bouncing back.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitestone on March 26, 2021, 08:34:11 AM
The gulf in class between the Premier League and Championship is considerable. So much so that any relegated team that has their finances sorted and not in danger of falling foul of FFP regulations has a great chance of bouncing back.
I think that's what We Are Premier League was asking. Teams that have managed their finances and squads well should be able to cope well in the Championship.

Our issue may well be that we may lose several loan players who represent real quality. They are then replaced by lesser players and the strength of a team that has struggled in the Premier League becomes weaker. Maybe we also lose high performers, say Tosin, Harrison Reed, or Anguissa. Even if we have the funds, attracting players of that calibre to the Championship is not easy. Suddenly the whole core of the team has been ripped out. No guarantees that the one replacing it will be that strong a side in the Championship.

Thinking more positively, some of the fringe players are clearly good championship players. I would include Mitro in that. Rodak is great Championship keeper, (and could well be good in the Premier - Areola's arrival meant we didn't find out), Tete and Tosin are both Premier League quality, Robinson could be as well, especially if he keeps on improving, but he's definitely a good championship player. Cairney could be back. Even if there is a doubt about Premier League credentials, he is quality in the Championship.

So it's not all gloom and doom ....

Twig

There is clearly a gap in class but our best players will leave if we go down and so we will not start the season in the Champ as an ex Prem squad we will start as a squad rebuilt with bits and pieces from our current squad, two or three of our old Champ squad (who can't get close to our current starting eleven) and a few additions (probably a mix of loans and signings). It doesn't fill me with confidence despite TFR's love in with TK.

blingo

Quote from: Twig on March 26, 2021, 02:44:50 PM
There is clearly a gap in class but our best players will leave if we go down and so we will not start the season in the Champ as an ex Prem squad we will start as a squad rebuilt with bits and pieces from our current squad, two or three of our old Champ squad (who can't get close to our current starting eleven) and a few additions (probably a mix of loans and signings). It doesn't fill me with confidence despite TFR's love in with TK.

If we go down it will be a while until we go back up again

hovewhite

The khan's will reinvest as the cottage would be a pink elephant if it wasn't packed by corparate types every home game and the only way that works is premiership football.

WindyCity

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on March 25, 2021, 06:48:47 PM
Oddly enough, I can't see any of the current bottom three bouncing back

This.

I reckon an extended stay in lower tiers if FFC relegated this season.  Could be long rebuild........