News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If Scott Parker does the "great escape" will England pinch him?

Started by Nick Bateman, March 28, 2021, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

I am wondering if Scott Parker does manage to get Fulham to Premier League safety, and Gareth Southgate has an abysmal Euro campaign (failing to get out of the group stages in the finals), will the FA once again steal a Fulham manager for the England job?

Parker is one of few English managers in the Premier League, and his footballing style is more pleasing to the eye than say Sean Dyche's hoof-and-hope and it has crossed my mind SP would be a major contender if the national team had a vacancy. Fulham should not allow this to happen as they did with Keegan, Al Fayed trading on good faith and receiving nothing in return.

Fulham should put an off limits stance to any approach by the FA. All they have ever given Fulham is rotten referees!

That said I hope Southgate and England do well, perhaps pick less overrated Chelsea players and represent the nation proudly.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 28, 2021, 04:54:28 PM
I am wondering if Scott Parker does manage to get Fulham to Premier League safety, and Gareth Southgate has an abysmal Euro campaign (failing to get out of the group stages in the finals), will the FA once again steal a Fulham manager for the England job?

Parker is one of few English managers in the Premier League, and his footballing style is more pleasing to the eye than say Sean Dyche's hoof-and-hope and it has crossed my mind SP would be a major contender if the national team had a vacancy. Fulham should not allow this to happen as they did with Keegan, Al Fayed trading on good faith and receiving nothing in return.

Fulham should put an off limits stance to any approach by the FA. All they have ever given Fulham is rotten referees!

That said I hope Southgate and England do well, perhaps pick less overrated Chelsea players and represent the nation proudly.
No

Somerset Fulham

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on March 28, 2021, 05:02:44 PM
No.

But you can guarantee that Spurs will be lurking.

Agree !! Spurs or WestHam are more likely destinations!! Next England manager should be Pep IMO

Dodger53

filham

No England would want some one with more international experience than Scot. Give him three seasons at Spurs then England will be interested.

Andy S

I don't think England will want Parker yet but in a few years it may well happen once parker has more experience. Is there any reason to get rid of Southgate yet anyway.? Teams like spurs any Chelsea are always likely to poach managers from other clubs but they need to be seen to be capable of winning things which is not the case at the minute. They also need to show that they can deal with the big egos of premier league players. From our point of view. There is always another manager waiting to step in

sunburywhite

I really hope SP never takes the England job because of the way the press want to build you up so they can orchestrate knocking you down

For those with short memories remember Mike Bassett England Manager?

It was so spot on
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

The Rational Fan

England would be foolish to pinch Parker, as the England job demands more experience, because you get less time to coach the players. I think Parker is well suited to having the players 250 days a year, but poorly suited to having the players 40 days a year. As proof, Parker's performance for the first three  games of each season has been poor, and his best performances have been after the squad is together for eight months or more.

love4ffc

Personally think that Parker is doing a good enough job that if Fulham go down then any struggling PL club next season could come a calling.  The nature of the beast and all that. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Twig

PaulJ123

Can't see them wanting him, if he keeps us up he's done an ok job. If we go down, he's done a poor job so not England manager credentials.

Colton F.C.

Reasons why England may go for Parker:

1. Top Premiership experience is not a requirement.  Not sure how much the present incumbent has but probably more than at taking penalties.

2. The Fulham factor.  Having the much loved club with its history of little success in your antecedence is a big plus.  The list of Our Kev, Woy, Robbo and not forgetting Ron Greenwood is remarkable.

3. The Boys Own persona.  SP has it in spades.  As with Keegan the clamour from the press....sorry I meant public will be overwhelming.

4. Smart Appearance.  Keep the tie pin, ditch the coat!

FFC1987

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but why do people think Parker will be well sought after after two proper seasons in management? He managed to get us promoted albeit not automatically, which for me was a question mark on him BUT also the tick for getting the job done. Move forward to this season and we have a win % of around 17% which isn't something I think will be looked on favourably by elite positions. I think we probably need to look out for poachers if we keeps us up, then consolidates us to a 9th-15th position. I just don't see England or Spurs wanting Parker yet. Not even for the long term. If Jose Mourinho isn't a long term employment, nor is Southgate, I just don't see them viewing Parker as a necessary gamble. I could however see a Palace go for him, or a Burnley is Dyche get's taken, but not a top 6 or the England job.   

Twig

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 29, 2021, 02:22:58 PM
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but why do people think Parker will be well sought after after two proper seasons in management? He managed to get us promoted albeit not automatically, which for me was a question mark on him BUT also the tick for getting the job done. Move forward to this season and we have a win % of around 17% which isn't something I think will be looked on favourably by elite positions. I think we probably need to look out for poachers if we keeps us up, then consolidates us to a 9th-15th position. I just don't see England or Spurs wanting Parker yet. Not even for the long term. If Jose Mourinho isn't a long term employment, nor is Southgate, I just don't see them viewing Parker as a necessary gamble. I could however see a Palace go for him, or a Burnley is Dyche get's taken, but not a top 6 or the England job.   

I don't see that as at all disrespectful it's the reality. Scott's experience is limited and he needs more time (and successful time at that) before a appointment at either a big club or international level. That was why I answered "not for the next five years".  Perhaps three perhaps six but certainly not yet.

gang

Nobody in their right mind would want the England job.
No chance of winning anything mainly because the top English league is littered with foreign players.

MJG

Don't underestimate how much his media friends will push him. hes well liked by the media and i'm sure they push him.
Bournemeouth thought they would get him a couple of months ago so he will be on a wanted list for sure.
Just the views of a long term fan

Whitesideup

Quote from: PaulJ123 on March 29, 2021, 10:07:01 AM
Can't see them wanting him, if he keeps us up he's done an ok job. If we go down, he's done a poor job so not England manager credentials.
In theory then, a poor refereeing decision in the final game against Newcastle that costs us the point or points we need to stay up, could be the difference between doing a good job and a bad job. That dividing line is much too thin for me. I am happy with our performances after a disastrous start, and think we have played pretty well. I think the way we have been playing, and the honesty of his assessments, have shown he has grown as a coach and manager. Clearly we haven't been the attacking force we would all liked to have seen, but I am not sure how much of that is his responsibility as for me it reflects the squad we have, which is defensively stronger than offensively.  But is that not part of his responsibility as well?

That assessment would not be enough of an endorsement to take him into big jobs elsewhere, and certainly not the England job.

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on March 29, 2021, 03:35:47 PM
Don't underestimate how much his media friends will push him. hes well liked by the media and i'm sure they push him.
Bournemeouth thought they would get him a couple of months ago so he will be on a wanted list for sure.

But getting the Bournemouth job compared to say Spurs and England is a bit much at this point. However, I do agree about media and potential influencer pushing him, I just don't see him with the necessary experience or pedigree at the moment.

The Cravenette