more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 29/03/21...

Started by WhiteJC, March 29, 2021, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'My brother wants to give me a kidney to keep me alive'

After an impressive career in football, Kevin McDonald is facing one of his biggest challenges yet.

The Fulham Midfielder has lived with chronic kidney disease throughout his career.

He hoped to have his transplant after he retired, but he needs one much sooner.

Kevin's brother has offered to donate one of his kidneys.

"He's fit and he's sharp so I might actually gain a yard," he said.

This clip is originally from 5 Live on Thursday 25 March 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09btqwb

WhiteJC

Reece Nicholas-Davies confirms he's signed for Derby after leaving Fulham

Young talent Reece Nicholas-Davies has taken to Twitter to confirm signing a deal with Derby County after leaving Premier League side Fulham.

The young attacker was in Fulham's youth teams and posted featuring for Fulham's U17s side in a game against southern rivals Reading at the end of November.

But since then, his regular match posts on his Twitter account stopped.

During this week, his latest post showed he had been training with Derby's youth teams and he has since signed a deal with the Rams claiming he can't wait to get started.

Derby have shown over the past 18 months how much faith they put in their young stars.

Several players have come through the academy to the first-team, including the likes of Louie Sibley, Lee Buchanan, Max Bird and Jason Knight.

Jahmal Hector-Ingram, Louie Watson, Kornell McDonald, Jack Stretton and Morgan Whittaker have also made first-team debuts, with the latter later joining Swansea City.

Hector-Ingram and Watson both joined Derby after leaving West Ham United.

The Rams play their youngsters, and they create a path for the academy stars to feature at senior level whereby in the Premier League they may not get the chance.

Watson was out of favour at West Ham and joined Derby last September. He has since made five Championship appearances, including a full debut in recent weeks.

Nicholas-Davies will know that with the right application, he could also break through at Pride Park and be handed the chance to become a first team squad member.

https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/reece-nicholas-davies-confirms-hes-signed-for-derby-after-leaving-fulham/

WhiteJC

Newcastle fans set to be at Fulham for last match as Premier League change plans

The 20 Premier League clubs met on Thursday to discuss various issues.

One of those issues is the planned return of fans to games before the season ends.

The Government having announced last month that if all goes according to plan, spectators would be allowed to attend outdoor sporting events from Monday 17 May 2021 onwards.

In the case of Premier League clubs, this would mean 10,000 fans or 25% of capacity (whichever figure is lower) would be allowed into the final two matches.

The final round of games on Sunday 23 May, plus the plan is to move the second last round of Premier League matches from the previous weekend to the midweek of 18 and 19 May. This would mean all Premier League clubs would have one home game each with fans inside their stadium, in the final week of the season.

It had been widely reported / assumed that if the 10,000 / 25% of capacity are allowed into matches, it would be home fans only.

However, it has now been revealed that the plans include a proportion of the available tickets to go to away fans for each of the two rounds of matches.

The Athletic reporting that today's meeting of the 20 Premier League clubs has included away supporters as part of the plan, providing fans are allowed into these matches in the final week of the season.

The report says that the Premier League plan would mean either 10% of available tickets given to away fans, or a set number of away fans allowed at each game regardless of the capacity.

So all being well, in Newcastle United's case, assuming that it was going to be 10% of tickets going to away fans, it would mean Newcastle v Sheff Utd on Tuesday 18 May or Wednesday 19 May with 9,000 NUFC fans allowed, plus 1,000 Sheff Utd supporters. Then on Sunday 23 May, around 5,400 Fulham fans and 600 Newcastle supporters allowed at Craven Cottage, with their capacity around the 24,000 mark.

Pilot events are set to be allowed by the Government ahead of that planned 17 May return of fans date, with amongst the events set to host supporters, the FA Cup final on Saturday 15 May with hopefully 20,000 fans attending.

The FA Cup semi-finals and the Carabao Cup final are also hopefully going to be part of the programme of pilot test events.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/03/newcastle-fans-set-to-be-at-fulham-for-last-match-as-premier-league-change-plans-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

'Happy' player's stay at Fulham beyond this season in doubt – 'Likely' to be at another club

Joachim Andersen is one of the three most expensive signings in Lyon's history and having failed to convince in his debut season in Ligue 1, the defender got a loan move to Fulham last summer.

The 24-year-old made his Cottagers debut against West Bromwich Albion in November and hasn't missed a single Premier League match since then.

In the 24 league starts, the centre-back has managed a goal and an assist.

Le Progrès takes a look at six Lyon players who are currently out on loan. The signing of these players cost the French club around €84m.

With regards to the Denmark international, the report states he 'looks happy' at Craven Cottage, where the 'setting suits him more'.

Scott Parker's side don't have an option to make the former Sampdoria man's stay permanent.

Last December, the player himself admitted a decision on his future will be taken after this season and didn't rule out the possibility of returning to Lyon.

Le Progrès now explain the Dane, as of today, is 'likely to return' to his parent club after his loan deal expires at Fulham.

If this report is to be believed, Parker and his side will be without Andersen next season, unless Fulham can reach a fresh agreement with Lyon.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/happy-players-stay-fulham-beyond-season-doubt-likely-another-club/

WhiteJC

The Long Read: Antonee Robinson

The United States Men's National Team is an exciting place to be right now.

With the likes of Sergino Dest, Giovanni Reyna and Christian Pulisic all playing regularly for Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea, respectively, there's plenty of optimism ahead of next year's World Cup. And considering their age – Pulisic is the oldest of the three at 22 – the 2026 tournament on their own patch also holds a lot of promise.

Antonee Robinson can count himself among the United States' hot young things, though there is one glaring difference between him and his international colleagues – the presence of a Liverpudlian accent.

It's quickly clear from speaking to the 23-year-old which side of the Atlantic he grew up on, but he tells fulhamfc.com that he never had any doubts about representing the US.

"When I was younger coming through Everton's academy, I was quite a late developer, so I wasn't at the forefront of the players who were getting called up for England," he explains.

"I remember there were lads coming through my team like Jonjoe Kenny and Ryan Ledson who, from the age of like 15, were playing for England. And I was never considered by any international team.

"The first call-up I got was for the US for an Under-18 camp when I was 16 or 17. That spurred me on to think that this was a massive opportunity and it gave me a massive confidence boost, so I decided that this was the team I wanted to commit to.

"It's where my Dad grew up. When he was young they moved to White Plains, New York, and then he went to college at Duke in North Carolina. My grandmother moved out there with him. She's Jamaican but lived in America for the rest of her life."

Robinson – as is usually the case these days – is with the States over the current international period.

A quick glance at their roster, and you can see why Americans are cautiously optimistic about their chances on the horizon.

"Since I've been involved with them, it's probably been as exciting a time as any with everything coming up; the World Cup's next year, all the tournaments in the summer," the left-back continues.

"We have so many young players who are operating at a high level now that it's hard not to be excited.

"I still feel like a young lad when I go away with the group, but there's lads who are five or six years younger than me who are playing at top levels, so it only bodes well for the future."

Such is the youth within the squad, there is only one player north of 28. A certain Tim Ream.

The Fulham stalwart is someone that Robinson looks up to for what he's done in the game, so much so that he gave him a call prior to making the move to Craven Cottage.

"He's probably the most mature of the group, obviously," Jedi says of Ream's role in the national setup. "He's still got a lot to offer the group as well. He's got so much experience and he's been around the US team for years, so having him there's always a benefit.

"I spoke to him [before moving] because he was the only player I knew at Fulham. I gave him a call after I'd spoken to Scott Parker, just to get my bearings on whether it would be a good move or not, and he helped me convince myself that it was a good move.

"Working with Scott was massive in the decision for me, too. Everything he described to me as a club, and the vision he had for the team, it kind of married into what I wanted to do this year. He said he wanted hungry players who want to come and learn, get better, and drive the club to where they should be.

"He's such a motivational person, he's so passionate about his job, and that passion gets the players behind him and makes you want to get the best out of yourself, for you and for him."

It could so easily have been very different for Robinson, though. But for the presence of caffeine in his system, he would now be plying his trade with AC Milan rather than Fulham.

You'd have to have been living under a rock to not know the story, with commentators struggling to resist the urge to mention it every time Robinson's name is on the teamsheet.

For that reason, we won't go into details of the almost-transfer. However, one of the key men involved in the potential deal was Paolo Maldini. One of Milan's greatest ever players, their former captain now operates as the club's technical director.

The fact that he also played much of his career at left-back, it must be some fillip for Robinson that Maldini was so keen to sign him?

"It was kind of unbelievable," Jedi admits. "Literally at the start I didn't believe that there was interest, I didn't believe that he'd have taken that much of a liking to me.

"It wasn't until I spoke to him on the phone that I actually truly believed that he'd seen something in me.

"He convinced me that he was looking forward to working with me, and then he was there when I got the bad news that it wasn't going to happen. He was gutted for me, he said he was really sorry and that he'd been looking forward to working with me and stuff, which additionally hurt as well, but it is a big compliment I suppose.

"I was a bit young to have seen him play but he was one of my Dad's favourite ever players, so it was a proud moment for me because he was so in awe of it as well.

"It took a long time to sink in. Even now it's hard, looking back, to think that it was even happening. It's been over a year now since that all took place, so it was difficult to believe at the time, but it was massively motivating as well

"I always say that I don't regret any single thing that's happened to me. I'm very happy and very proud of where I am now, the man I am now.

"Any mistake or upset I've had in my life, I never look at it as a negative, it's all led me to where I am now."
Antonee Robinson

You may have noticed in this article numerous references to Robinson as Jedi. It came about at the age of just four when he was playing in a team coached by his Dad, who liked to give each of the players a nickname.

He chose Jedi due to his love of Star Wars. Though to refer to it as a nickname may not even be an accurate description anymore, considering how often it's used.

"Even my parents don't call me Antonee," he reveals. "I don't even associate it with Star Wars anymore, it's just my name. It's what people have called me ever since I was young, and when I go to a new place, that's how I introduce myself. I don't really make that link.

"When I was younger I just loved wearing costumes, all sorts; Star Wars, Bob the Builder, all stuff like that when I was really young. Then when I was a little bit older, like seven or eight, I really got into the films, and I had all the games and stuff.

"I remember having a game where there was a camera on the TV and you had a toy lightsaber that you controlled. It was weird but I've got proper fond memories of it."

His hobbies have changed somewhat these days, with Robinson swapping the lightsaber for a piano.

If you follow him on Instagram you will have seen what a natural he is on the keys, so it might come as a surprise that he only began learning four years ago.

"One Christmas I went to my family's in Milton Keynes and my little sister had a keyboard, so I just jumped on and started playing around on it," he says. "I enjoyed it, so when I went back up to my home in Liverpool I got my own keyboard and started trying to teach myself songs off YouTube and things like that. I've just enjoyed it ever since then.

"When I did Music in school I was just playing around, I didn't really take it seriously. I wish it was something I'd taken seriously now that I enjoy it, but at the time I didn't really have an interest in it. It's one of those things, if I'm interested in something, I do try my hardest to learn it.

"It's right there in my living room as soon as I walk in. It was the same when I was on loan at Bolton, the first thing I saw when I walked through my door was my piano, and if I was in the mood I'd just be drawn to it and sit down.

"I don't really have a time where I need to take my mind off things and go and play, just sort of when it takes my eye, go and have a go, or if I'm learning a specific song or I hear a song that I think I'd really like to learn, then that's why I'd get on it.

"I like listening to the song when I'm learning it because then I can hear when I'm playing it wrong. There's a couple of Ludovico Einaudi songs that I like. Recently I've just started learning All Of Me by John Legend, which is a very fun song to play."

Does he ever put words to his music?

"I can't sing. I'll never try and sing. If the music's really loud then I might try and rap along to some songs, but I think singing's a unique talent."

Unique talent is still a fair way of describing Robinson. I'm not sure how many Premier League footballers are that skilled with a piano, but throw in the niche ability of solving a Rubik's Cube in under a minute and I'd imagine you're looking at a very small demographic indeed.

"How old was I? I think I was like 15, I was just on YouTube one night watching random videos, and one came up about how to solve a Rubik's Cube," he explains.

"I'd always wanted to know how to do it, so I watched the video, and after watching it I thought it looked pretty doable, so I went and bought a Rubik's Cube, followed the video and learnt how to do it.

"When I first learnt I was able to do it in five minutes off by heart, and I just got gradually faster and faster, learnt some new methods to get it quicker, and now I can do it in about 40-odd seconds."

He's pretty much bang on with that statement. After being handed a freshly mixed up cube, he unscrambles it in 41 seconds.

"It's all about algorithms," he reveals. "When you first learn, there's seven steps to solving it; white cross, white face, second layer, yellow cross, yellow face, headlights, and then final solve.

"You've got to learn an algorithm so it doesn't disrupt everything else you've done. Denis [Odoi] is learning how to do it now. Leo [Player Care] can do it, Tom the physio's learning how to do it now, too.

"I've got a 4x4 cube at home which takes me about four minutes to solve. That's what I've been learning to do since Christmas.

"Every time someone hears that I can do it, they always want to see it. Pretty much every club I've been to someone's bought one and brought it in."

(And there was this interviewer thinking it was fresh content...)

We first became aware of Robinson's Rubik's capabilities in a video posted by Joe Bryan earlier in the season.

Bryan wrote himself into Fulham legend in the summer with his brace against Brentford, meaning Robinson knew he would have a battle on his hands to secure the left-back spot after signing.

The two, though, enjoy an excellent relationship both on and off the field.

"I remember being in my flat watching the Final and at the time seeing Joe's goals and thinking they were unbelievable," Jedi says.

"Before I'd even signed, he was the first one to message me privately and say, 'if there's anything you need, let me know.' So straight away I had a good impression of him.

"Out on the training pitch he's always trying to help me with things. We're both really competitive people and we both want to be at the top of our game, so being able to have good opposition challenging for positions is only going to bring the best out of each other I feel. There's no bitterness if one of us is playing and one isn't.

"The whole team, I think there's a lot of talent and hunger in this team, so I don't think a position's ever certain that you're going to be playing. I think it's healthy competition, because we're all vying for the same cause at the end of the day."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/The-Long-Read-Antonee-Robinson/

WhiteJC

Fulham player expected to have a few choices in summer – 'Followed' by big club, could be more enticing

Whether Alphonse Aréola stays at Fulham beyond the current campaign rests on two very important things.

Firstly, the Cottagers need to stay in the Premier League, which is still achievable with a good end of season form, as they will want to avoid spending big if they get relegated back down to the Championship.

Secondly, it depends on what Aréola himself wants to do, clearly enjoying himself under Scott Parker, where he's putting in some good performances, and if the club remains in the top flight, he could have a big decision to make.

Fulham have the option to make the move permanent, but if other, more enticing clubs come knocking, the shot stopper could easily turn around and say no to the Londoners.

We've already had a hint that Milan could end up being an option, although only if they fail to convince Gianluigi Donnarumma to stay, and now AS Roma can be added to the list.

Represented by Mino Raiola, the Fulham goalkeeper is in good hands when it comes to potentially getting a big transfer, and Gazzetta dello Sport explain he's being 'followed' by Paulo Fonseca's side, who will be in the business of buying a new number one in the summer.

Andrea Gollini and Juan Musso are also options, and we'll have to see who ends up being the more accessible one for them in the next transfer window.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-expected-choices-summer-followed-big-club-enticing/

WhiteJC

Nigeria duo upbeat on Premier League survival hopes

Semi Ajayi and Ola Aina

Nigeria defenders Semi Ajayi and Ola Aina are teaming up for the Super Eagles for the Cup of Nations qualifiers - but in the Premier League, they are relegation rivals at West Brom and Fulham.

And with 10 games remaining in the season, the drama is increasing at the foot of the table.

The Baggies, who have collected just three wins all season, find themselves 10 points adrift of 17th place.

"It's not easy. We are desperate right now and we need points as soon as possible," Ajayi told BBC Sport Africa.

"I'd say everyone's written us off but we definitely haven't really written ourselves off."

Not all doom and gloom
Portsmouth and West Ham went on to secure Premier League survival from similar positions in 2006 and 2007 respectively, and Ajayi is hopeful 19th-placed West Brom can haul themselves out of trouble.

"We are still fighting, we still haven't given up," he said.

"We still have belief, we still have hope and it's just about taking one game at a time.

"Giving our maximum and we'll see where that takes us. Hopefully that will keep us in the premier league but we definitely haven't given up."

Fulham, with two points below Newcastle and three off Brighton, are the other promoted side in a battle to save their Premier League skin.

The Cottagers appeared doomed early in the season but a recent revival gave them the opportunity to move out of the relegation zone for the first time since December.

However, the 17th-placed side suffered a home loss against Leeds in the last match before the break - their third defeat in four games.

"It gets tough sometimes, but it's a challenge that I embrace," said Aina, who is on loan from Italian club Torino.

"Obviously, it's approaching the end of the season now with nine games left.

"Naturally, it starts to become a bit of a panic for most, but I think Fulham are in a good space.

"We have a good team and a good manager in Scott Parker, so we just have to keep going and working, and try to get the points we need."

Mind with country
In need of one point from two games to seal qualification to next year's Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, the Super Eagles travel to Benin on 27 March before hosting Lesotho in Lagos three days later.

"We are very prepared, since November we've had this fixtures in mind to get the job done essentially. I think everybody is itching to get out there and qualify this nation for the Afcon," Ajayi added.

Three time African champions Nigeria are currently top of Group L where all the teams, which include Benin, Sierra Leone and Lesotho, can still qualify for January's finals in Cameroon.

Aina admits that reality makes their job a lot demanding as the squad move on from an embarrassing 4-4 draw at home to Sierra Leone five months ago.

"As strange as it sounds, I believe everyone's moved on from that Sierra Leone game but the lessons learned stays with us," Aina explained.

"We travel to Benin with all seriousness, we'll go there and try to win the game before hosting Lesotho at home."

The Super Eagles have eight points, one ahead of the squirrels of Benin while the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone have three points and Lesotho two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/56538813

WhiteJC

Heading guidelines to be in place next season as Premier League launches two new studies

A number of high-profile figures have warned about the dangers of excessive heading and worry it could lead to brain damage in the long-term

Heading guidelines for training in the professional and adult game are set to be in place for the start of next season, the Premier League has announced.

Campaigners such as Dawn Astle and Chris Sutton have long called for a reduction in the amount of heading done in training at senior level, as a means to limit the risk to players of long-term brain injury.

A working group made up of representatives from the Football Association, the Premier League, the EFL, the Women's Super League, the Professional Footballers' Association and the League Managers Association is responsible for drawing up the guidelines, and a statement from the English top flight on Friday confirmed they "are expected to be implemented ahead of the 2021-22 season".

The Premier League announced on Friday the launch of two studies to measure the impact of different types of heading.

One will involve men's youth team and senior women's team players at Manchester City and Liverpool wearing mouthpieces in training which relay real-time data to touchline analysts.

The outcome of the research will inform the working group's decision-making on heading guidelines.

The mouthpiece project is being run using Sports & Wellbeing Analytics' PROTECHT device, and will involve the Liverpool under-23s men's team, under-18 men's team and senior women's team, plus Manchester City's under-18s men's team and senior women's team.

Crucially, the study will also give insight into any differences between men and women in terms of heading impact, an area where there has been very little research in the past.

The second project will involve Second Spectrum, the Premier League's tracking and analytics provider. It will compare match-tracking data from the 2019-20 season with results from the mouthguard study.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/heading-guidelines-place-next-season-23802122

WhiteJC

Has Mitro's fire been rekindled?
Jack Stroudley asks whether our Serbian's international double will kick-start his season – and our survival push.

Despite his lack of chances this season for Fulham, Aleksandar Mitrovic proved in midweek that defences should continue to be terrified of him. His two goals against the Republic of Ireland on Wednesday night proved to be the difference in a 3-2 victory for Serbia. The quality of the goals and performance, combined with the happiness on Mitro's face beg the question: can he fire us to safety?

The tactical style
It's been clear throughout this season that Mitro is out of favour with Scott Parker, who's opted for slightly more agile and quicker options in attack, rotating between Ivan Cavaleiro, Bobby Decordova-Reid, and most recently Josh Maja.

Due to the 3-4-3 counter-attacking style Parker adapted to aid our survival hopes, it was quickly evident that this fast build-up play didn't favour Aleksandar's attributes, as it left him minimal time to hold the ball up and allow other players into the game.

However in recent weeks with the formation switches to 4-3-3, and in some occasions 4-4-2, I believe the scene is set for Mitro to flourish, as these set-ups allow us to control play further up the pitch, which as we saw under Slavisa Jokanovic allowed him to thrive.

Our other options
As I say, there have been three other players who have been rotated throughout the season in order to try and find the solution to our evident lack of goals.

Ivan Cavaleiro is the closest we have to a physical presence up top, bar Mitro, with his decent hold- up play and shielding on the ball, he's also slightly more agile and is able to drive towards teams, despite sometimes lacking in the creative department. Ivan's scored three goals this season.

Bobby Decordova-Reid is a more fluid option through the middle of the park and allows us to play with three attacking players who can easily rotate positions, with everyone having the freedom of the pitch (an homage to Kebano, Aluko and Ayite, if you will). Bobby is our top goal scorer this season with five league goals, but due to his current injury and Parker's confidence in him playing in a variety of differing positions, I'm not sure we'll see him play as the lone striker for the remainder of the season.

Finally there's Josh Maja, who came in on loan from Bordeaux on deadline day seemed to be our final throw of the dice to try and find the goals to keep us up. After a promising start with two goals against Everton, things were looking promising for Josh. But he's failed to net since. He's shown signs of promise, in particular in the first half against Leeds, where he showed his ability to shield the ball from defenders and create chances for himself. If it wasn't for Meslier he probably would have his third goal for the Whites.

How does Alek fit in?
As mentioned previously the change to a more attacking formation should allow Mitro to express himself more on the pitch and provide us with the outlet we've been desperately missing. I think that his ability to hold the ball and drag other players into the game is something that we need to use to our advantage.

Mitro showed away from home against Leeds this season that if you can provide him with the chances, he'll take them. He's a clinical top-level striker and showed against the Republic of Ireland that even if his confidence is a bit low and even if he isn't fully match fit, he can still score goals.

Mitro is a striker who thrives on creating something out of nothing; we've seen him sniff out a chance time and time again for Fulham, something we're in desperate need of. If Parker gives Mitro the freedom of the pitch and plays to his attributes, our Serbian striker could once again rekindle his flame – and his status as our talisman.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-03-26-has-mitros-fire-been-rekindled/

WhiteJC

Bristol City suffer disappointment as PL side Fulham confirm decision over defender

Bristol City has had something of an inconsistent season in this season's Championship.

At one point they were up there looking likely to challenge for promotion – or at least a playoff place.

Now, with just eight games left, the Robins are settled in 14th place in the Sky Bet Championship table on 49 points – 13 off the play-off places.

Robins hopes dented as Fulham end Mawson loan
Bristol City's hopes of putting together a more consistent run to the end of the season have been dealt a blow.

That blow? Fulham have decided to recall on-loan central defender Alfie Mawson:

Mawson, back in the Robins set-up after recovering from knee surgery, has made six appearances.

However, that run of games is at an end with the struggling Cottagers recalling their defender to the fold for the Premier League run-in.

Mawson for Bristol City this season
Mawson's loan to Bristol City came in early September 2020 – having joined Fulham for £15m from in August 2018.

Prior to his recall by Fulham, Mawson had featured in 11 Championship appearances for the Robins. These appearances were spread across two spells this season.

READ: Comment: Dyke injury could affect how Barnsley's season end pans out if worse than thought

A run of five games early on was interrupted by a ligament injury that required surgery. Six games into his return and Fulham have actioned a recall to Craven Cottage.

As such, Fulham's decision not means that Bristol City will need to navigate their way to the end of the season minus a player that they really could have done with keeping.

https://the72.co.uk/228855/bristol-city-suffer-disappointment-as-pl-side-fulham-confirm-decision-over-defender/

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Sheffield United add new name to shortlist for next manager

Former Fulham assistant Javier Pereira has emerged as a candidate to take charge of Sheffield United.

The Blades and their owner Prince Abdullah are looking for a new manager after parting company with Chris Wilder earlier this month.

The club are on the brink of being relegated from the Premier League with former Barnsley boss Paul Heckingbottom currently in caretaker charge.

United have been inundated with interest from candidates and they are keen to bounce back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

One name they are particularly interested in is believed to be Pereira – who was former number two to Slavisa Jokanovic, who himself has been linked to the role.

Pereira was assistant to Jokanovic at Watford, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Fulham. He then served as Assistant Director of Football Operations at Craven Cottage before being appointed manager of Chinese Super League club Henan Jianye.

Pereira's reputation of a being a top-class coach has been backed up by numerous managers and United are understood to have been hugely impressed by the reports they have got back on him.

Prince Abdullah discusses Wilder exit
Meanwhile, Prince Abdullah has been speaking about Wilder's departure recently.

The owner admitted that Wilder tried to resign twice from the club before actually being allowed to leave – and asked the Blades for £4million compensation.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Abdullah revealed all was not as it seemed behind the scenes. He has now revealed the discussions held over Wilder's exit – and has revealed why he was unhappy with his recruitment.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-sheffield-united-javier-pereira-manager-candidate

WhiteJC

The underlying data that will concern Newcastle United - but offer promise to Fulham and Brighton
Newcastle United fans knew it was coming in December. Fast forward four months to now and here we are, the word relegation is back, dominating the conversation on Tyneside.

Steve Bruce, seemingly here to stay, has guided the Magpies deep into trouble. A third relegation under Mike Ashley is looking more likely as each game passes.

But what does the underlying data suggest about Newcastle's survival chances compared to those in-and-around them in the Premier League table?

Here, we've taken a look at each of the United's relegation rivals, their last ten games and the data behind the results to assess who are the most likely candidates to beat the drop.

We've included "six or seven teams". They are: Southampton, Burnley, Brighton, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Newcastle.

Points per game – Brighton and Hove Albion lead the way

The simplest metric to examine is points-per-game (PPG) and which side has averaged the most points in their last ten games.

And in that regard, only Southampton (0.4) and West Brom (0.7) are worse off than Newcastle.

Bruce's side, winning just twice in that period, have averaged 0.9 PPG. Fulham (1.2), Burnley (1.1) and Brighton (1.5) have all averaged more.

Applying this to the current league table suggests the fight for survival will be decided on the final day of the season at Craven Cottage.

Indeed, if you're a Saints fan, you might also have cause for concern – and rightly so.

Projected league table (PPG x by the number of matches remaining, added to each club's current total)

14th: Brighton – 46 points (45.5), 15th: Burnley – 43 points (42.9), 16th: Southampton – 37 points (36.6), 17th: Newcastle United – 36 points (36.1), 18th: Fulham – 36 points (35.6), 19th: West Brom – 24 points (24.3).

Goal difference – Fulham ahead of Newcastle United

As shown in the projected table above, goal difference (GD) could be the deciding factor as well as that final day finale in West London.

And worryingly for Newcastle, Fulham are well on course to better their GD, which already stands at a five-goal swing in favour of the Cottagers.

While Scott Parker's side have scored less (6) than United (10) over the last 10 games, they've proven to be a much more solid defensive unit, conceding seven less.

Newcastle's 16 goals against compared to Fulham's nine fetches a GD of -6 for the former and -3 for the latter.

It's hard to look too much into Southampton shipping 27 goals – an average of 2.7 per game – following the freak 9-0 hammering at Old Trafford.

Brighton, meanwhile, have netted the most goals and conceded the least.

Average goals scored per game (over last 10)

Brighton – 1, Newcastle United – 1, Burnley – 0.9, Southampton – 0.9, Fulham – 0.6, West Brom – 0.5.

Average goals conceded per game (over last 10)

Brighton – 0.7, Fulham – 0.9, Burnley – 1.3, West Brom – 1.4 Newcastle United – 1.6, Southampton 2.7.

Expected goals for and against – Brighton and Fulham out in front

When analysing expected goals (xG) and expected goals against (xGA), the common theme is: 1st Brighton. 2nd Fulham.

Much has been made of Graham Potter's side's wastefulness in front of goal – except when playing Newcastle – and the xG data certainly backs that up.

The Seagulls have been expected to score 1.97 goals per game over their last 10 matches. Their xGA of 0.79 is very impressive.

Similarly for Fulham, while they are prone to be missing chances (1.53 xG), the encouraging sign is their getting in the right positions. The defensive data is again promising with their xGA a fairly low rating of 0.96.

In comparison to Newcastle, their 1.16 xG suggests they aren't creating enough, while their 1.49 xGA – identical to Burnley's – can be susceptible to conceding.

xG and xGA are good metrics to see how effective a team should be, but the reality can often be in contrast to what the data suggests. Just look at Brighton...

Average xG (over last 10 games)

Brighton – 1.97, Fulham – 1.53, Southampton – 1.31, Newcastle United – 1.16, West Brom – 1.1, Burnley – 0.84.

Average xGA (over last 10 games)

Brighton – 0.79, Fulham – 0.96, Burnley – 1.49, Newcastle United – 1.49, Southampton – 1.55, West Brom – 1.57.

The verdict – who goes down?

Many believe it is between Newcastle and Fulham and based on the data, it's hard to argue with that prediction. Let's be honest, it's looking pretty bleak for West Brom.

The Magpies simply need an improvement in all areas because Parker's men are outperforming them.

Bruce, like a number of United fans, will pin the club's survival hopes on Miguel Almiron, Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin – hopefully starting with Tottenham Hotspur a week on Sunday – but more needs to be done.

Without taking a glance at the underlying data, it is assumed Southampton are as good as safe but if their current plight continues, they should be watching on nervously.

If there were any team to completely discredit xG then it's definitely Brighton. Everything points towards Potter's side being anything but relegation candidates.

Unless there are any telling changes during the final few months of the campaign, the battle to beat the drop looks all-but-certain to go to the last game of the season – a Craven Cottage showdown.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-underlying-data-that-will-concern-newcastle-united-but-offer-promise-to-fulham-and-brighton-3179458

WhiteJC

Premier League Relegation Battle: The Deciding Fixtures

As we enter the final stages of the season, three feelings begin to emerge in the Premier League relegation battle: Excitement and nerve. You feel excited at the prospect of a thrilling season-deciding game arriving week in week out. You also feel nervous because should that all-important game go wrong, the season may well be over.

This season is no different, either, as Newcastle United, Brighton & Hove Albion and Fulham all battle to survive and avoid that dreaded 18th place in the Premier League relegation battle. We know the three sides left battling, but the question remains, who has the most favourable fixtures remaining?

Premier League Relegation Battle: The Fixtures
Fulham

Starting with the team occupying that dreaded 18th place at the time of writing, Fulham will be feeling positive when weighing up their survival hopes.

Their form has drastically improved since the turn of the year. Scott Parker's side have beaten Liverpool at Anfield to help burn the fortress down, drawn with Tottenham Hotspur and beaten Everton at Goodison Park. And they've done this all whilst playing football similar to a side in the top half.

At times, they've lacked that clinical edge, but as the battle commences, that clinical nature should be discovered. As far as their remaining eight fixtures are concerned, Parker will be wary of the talent in abundance his side still has to overcome.

Next up is Aston Villa, likely with Jack Grealish back amongst the side. The next three games, see them face Wolverhampton Wanderers in one of the more favourable fixtures before matches at Arsenal and Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea.

The final four fixtures are slightly more favourable, barring the game against Manchester United, with games against Burnley, Southampton and what could be the showdown of all showdowns with Newcastle United to come on the final day at Craven Cottage.

Newcastle United

When it comes to form, Newcastle United are on a downward spiral. The fans lost faith in Steve Bruce long ago, and who can blame them? With all the money spent in the summer, they should be sitting in the comforts of mid-table right now. Mike Ashley finally invested, but he did so in the wrong man.

When Rafa Benitez asked for investment, he did not receive a penny, but he still kept Newcastle up. Now, despite being handed the players to push on, Steve Bruce's side sit dangerously one place above the relegation zone. Yes, injuries have not helped, but they have the squad depth capable of performing far better.

The fans should begin to worry, too, looking at the fixtures remaining. With eight games left, the Magpies face four of the so-called 'top six' with Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City all to come. They also face a side that should be considered in that same bracket with Leicester City to come.

The odds will be stacked against them with just three games left that will be considered winnable and in their favour with fixtures against West Ham United– another tricky test- and Burnley and Sheffield United to come.

When comparing notes with Fulham, who they sit two points clear of, Bruce and his side may well have to brace themselves for a deciding game at Craven Cottage come the end of the season.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Despite being six points clear of 18th placed Fulham with a game in hand, Brighton will know that anything can happen in the Premier League relegation battle. Graham Potter's philosophy is beginning to pay off, but they must remain focused with nine games remaining.

Out of the nine remaining games, they face three of the classic top six. The first of those three games comes next, too, with a trip to Old Trafford on the horizon.

Another tough game against Everton then confronts Brighton before more winnable fixtures against Sheffield United, Leeds United, Wolves and West Ham. But it will be the final two games that could decide Brighton's fate with Manchester City coming and a trip to the Emirates to face Arsenal on the last day awaiting.

They'll be confident of survival, and, with Fulham and Newcastle coming to blows on the final day, Brighton's fate may well be in their own hands.

Premier League Relegation Battle: The Verdict

Looking at the remaining fixtures of all three sides alongside their respective form, one would assume that Brighton will survive. That leaves Fulham and Newcastle.

Newcastle are on a downward spiral with the pressure growing. Fulham, by contrast, are the plucky underdogs who no one expected to have a chance of survival. They enter the final stages with little pressure, and that should pay dividends.

It seems Newcastle have the least favourable fixtures, too, and when the pressure of a final day fixture at Craven Cottage comes, it could prove to be the end of both Steve Bruce's tenure and Newcastle's latest stay in the Premier League.

Relegation prediction: Sheffield United, West Bromwich Albion, Newcastle United

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2021/03/27/premier-league-relegation-battle-2/

WhiteJC

Under-18s take 5-0 loss to Fulham

Norwich City Under-18s were beaten soundly by Fulham at the London School of Economics on Saturday afternoon.

The U18s fielded a varied side to the one that lost 5-0 to West Ham in the FA Youth Cup on Monday, Reece Trueman, Brad Hills, Ola Okeowo, Joe Duffy, Saxon Earley, Alex Matos and Ken Aboh all coming into the starting XI.

The first real chance of the game for Fulham was the most dangerous of the half as it gave them their early lead. A counter from the hosts saw Mika Biereth's pass across the face of goal smashed home by Kieron Bowie for the opener.

Less than ten minutes later, Lewis Shipley denied the Cottagers from doubling their lead with his vital block stopping Ollie O'Neill's bottom corner curler.

City's first sight of goal wouldn't come until the 26th minute when Saxon Earley's keen-eyed pass from the City half found Aboh in the Fulham box.

The forward's touch got him past the 'keeper, but not for long as he was tackled shortly after in front of the open goal.

Another City chance wasn't as clean-cut as the visitor's would have liked, a scramble in the  opposition's 18-yard box meant Kamara couldn't get much on his shot and saw it comfortably saved.

A quiet half in the way of chances, an early goal left the young Canaries with work to do in the second half.

The second half would prove to be a much busier one than the first for Fulham, who found the back of the net twice in quick succession.

A textbook finish in front of goal as a result of Fulham's counter gave Bowie his brace in a goal near identical to his first, while Jay Stansfield's header at the far post gave the hosts' their third.

After another quiet period, Fulham found their fourth after Ibane Bowat's far-post header from the hosts' corner looped over Trueman into the back of the net.

A clinical half for Fulham saw the side finish every chance they had, ending the game with Oliver Sanderson's header nestling into the back of the net in added time to see the host's comfortably take all three points.

Norwich City starting XI: Trueman, Jackson, Hills (c), Shipley, Okeowo, Duffy (Welch, 67), Brooke (Reindorf, 76), Matos, Kamara (Alidor-Hamilton, 61), Aboh
Subs not used: N/A
Goals: N/A
Bookings: Earley (41)

Fulham starting XI: Borto, D'auria-Henry, Parkes, Bowat, Odutayo, Dibley-Dias (Lanquedoc, 62), Harris (Araujo, 80), O'Neill, Biereth, Bowie, Stansfield
Subs not used: N/A
Goals: Bowie (8, 56), Stansfield (58), Bowat (86), Sanderson (90+2)
Bookings: Parkes (42)

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021/march/match-report-for-u18s-v-fulham-27-03-21/

WhiteJC

Leeds should urge transfer swoop for Fulham's Zambo Anguissa amid Phil Hay reveal

The Athletic's Phil Hay has suggested that Leeds should target Fulham midfielder Zambo Anguissa in this summer's transfer window.

What's the story?

The Cottagers are battling to avoid relegation from the Premier League, and Hay has urged Marcelo Bielsa's side to try and convince Anguissa over a move to Elland Road in the summer.

Speaking on The Phil Hay Show, he said: "He's a player I would go for, yeah, absolutely. I think whether or not they can realistically sell a move to Leeds to him, I don't know because you have the problem of an England international (Kalvin Phillips) in there who just keeps getting better, looks more and more secure, looks more and more accurate and effective with his passing.

"If you were saying to Anguissa, 'Look, we need somebody to come in and not necessarily compete with Phillips, but to be there if Phillips isn't available – it's not too much of a sell to a player.

"I think they'll go for somebody else. I think they'll try and find somebody potentially younger or somebody who is more willing to be a backstop to Phillips. But Anguissa, to me, looks extremely talented and a player I would have."

Bielsa worked with him before

While Anguissa is making a name for himself in London, he actually really came into the spotlight at Marseille and was there when current Leeds boss Bielsa was in charge at the Stade Velodrome.

The Argentine took Anguissa under his wing, with the midfielder himself admitting that the manager played a big part in his future success despite not playing under his management following Bielsa's resignation. The 25-year-old said: "He believed in me and said, 'You have a lot of quality, I am going to put you in the group'. If a youngster has potential, he can surprise the world."

Joachim Andersen, his teammate at Craven Cottage, has waxed lyrical about the midfielder, saying: "He's a top player. He's a machine in the midfield. He's winning so many balls and driving forward with it."

Given that Bielsa has worked with Anguissa before, and having seen his potential, he will surely know how to get the best out of the £22.5m-rated midfielder.

As Hay says, while Leeds may fancy someone younger, there is surely more of a guarantee in going after Anguissa, who now has Premier League experience under his belt and has the added advantage of having already worked with the manager.

https://www.footballfancast.com/leeds-united-transfer-rumours/leeds-zambo-anguissa-phil-hay-fulham-premier-league-transfer-marcelo-bielsa-gossip-rumours-news-elland-road

WhiteJC

Bowie brace powers Fulham U18s to top of the table

A brace from Kieron Bowie helped Fulham's under 18s move back to the top of the Premier League south table as Steve Wigley's side thrashed Norwich City 5-0 at the LSE this morning.

The young Whites recorded their third consecutive league win and Scottish forward Bowie, a summer arrival from Raith Rovers, was in fine form from the outset. Fulham could have gone in front from one of their very first attacks but Ollie O'Neil's drive was well blocked by a Canaries defender.

Bowie grabbed his first goal on eight minutes when a swift break saw Mika Biereth drive down the right flank and his low cross was clinically converted by Bowie. Lewis Shipley made a terrific save to deny Fulham a second – keeping out a goalbound low drive from the increasingly influential O'Neil.

Norwich were operating mainly on the counter-attack but created a couple of opportunities to trouble the Fulham backline. Abu Kamara tested Alex Borto's reflexes with a free-kick from a fair way out before a brilliant through ball from Saxon Earley sent Ken Aboh clear in the box. The forward got around Borto but was denied by a brilliant saving tackle from Ibane Bowat. Borto had to be alert to deny Kamara, who had tricked his way past a couple of Fulham defenders, as the visitors enjoyed their best spell of the contest.

Jay Stansfield was disappointed not to increase Fulham's lead just before half-time, the teenager striker shooting narrowly over the crossbar after being teed up on the half-volley by some excellent approach play from O'Neil. Norwich came out reinvigorated after the break and Borto was forced into a smart save at his near post by Aboh.

That miss was to prove costly as Fulham went down the other end and doubled their lead. Bowie bagged his second of the match with a cool finish from just inside the penalty area and, just two minutes later, the hosts had another. Stansfield continued his fine form since returning from ankle surgery by emphatically heading home Bowat's cross to effectively settled the contest.

To their great credit, Norwich weren't about to lie down. They had a succession of shots blocked inside the Fulham box before Brad Hills drove wide. Fulham might have had a fourth following a serious goalmouth scramble with Idris Odutayo and Bowie both seeing their efforts cleared off the line. Bowie spurned a glorious opportunity to grab his hat-trick when he sent a free header over the bar with ten minutes to play.

Fulham were continuing to look dangerous with every attack and eventually the frenetic pace of the contest seemed to catch up with Norwich. Bowat added a fourth with a looping header that beat Reece Trueman from O'Neill's excellent corner. The scoring wasn't done there though – as substitute Olly Sanderson notching a fifth from close range in the third minute of stoppage time.

FULHAM U18s: Borto; D'Auria-Henry, Parkes, Bowat, Odutayo; Dibley-Dias (Lanquedoc 60), Harris (Araujo 80), O'Neill; Biereth (Sanderson 73), Stansfield, Bowie. Subs (not used): Antonsson Caton.

BOOKED: Parkes.

GOALS: Bowie (8, 56), Stansfield (58), Bowat (86), Sanderson (90+2).

NORWICH CITY U18s: Trueman, Jackson, Hills, Shipley, Okeowo, Duffy (Welch, 67), Brooke (Reindorf, 76), Matos, Kamara (Alidor-Hamilton, 61), Aboh.

BOOKED: Earley.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/03/bowie-brace-powers-fulham-u18s-to-top-of-the-table/

WhiteJC

Cristiano Ronaldo left FURIOUS as he is denied a late winner for Portugal in Serbia, despite the ball CLEARLY going over the line as hosts cancel out brace from Liverpool's Diogo Jota to earn a 2-2 draw in Belgrade thriller

Portugal and Serbia played out a thrilling 2-2 draw in Belgrade on Saturday night
    Cristiano Ronaldo almost hit winner but officials said it had not crossed the line
    Replays showed his effort was well over the line but Serbia held on for a point
    Liverpool star Diogo Jota netted a first-half brace before hosts turned it around

Cristiano Ronaldo was left furious on Saturday night after being denied what appeared to be a clear goal and late winner in Portugal's 2-2 draw with Serbia.

The Juventus star thought he had snatched three points in Belgrade when he pounced on a loose ball inside the penalty area and stabbed an effort towards goal.

Serbia defender Stefan Mitrovic raced to clear on the goal line and hacked the ball away, leaving the officials to declare it had not gone over the line and to continue playing.

But replays showed the ball had clearly gone over the line and Ronaldo was left furious. With no Video Assistant Referee in use in the game, he pleaded with the on-field officials before throwing his captain's armband and storming off the pitch at full time in disgust.

Afterwards, Ronaldo wrote on Instagram: 'Being captain of the Portugal national team is one of the greatest honours and privileges of my life.

'I give and will always give my all for my country, that will never change.

'But there are difficult moments to cope with, especially when we feel like an entire nation is being harmed. Head up and face the next challenge! Come on Portugal!'

It was an explosive ending to a thrilling World Cup qualifier as Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic became his country's all-time top scorer on 39 goals from 63 international appearances.

The Fulham forward netted his side's first goal in a 2-2 home draw as the Serbians fought back from two goals down to earn a share of the spoils.

Mitrovic pulled one back in the 46th minute and Filip Kostic levelled after a brace from Liverpool forward Diogo Jota had given Portugal a 2-0 lead in the first half.

Liverpool forward Jota fired the European champions ahead with an 11th-minute header from a superb Bernardo Silva assist and added another in the 36th as he glanced a Cedric Soares cross from the right. 

Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic became his country's all-time top scorer on 39 goals

Mitrovic pulled one back in the 46th minute and Filip Kostic (left) levelled for the home team

But Serbia roared back at their Rajko Mitic stadium and halftime substitute Nemanja Radonjic, who engineered both their goals, gave his markers a roasting after the break and also drew a fine save from Portugal goalkeeper Anthony Lopes.

Serbia defender Nikola Milenkovic was sent off in stoppage time, having been shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on an opponent.

Ronaldo then had a seemingly good goal denied seconds later.

Ronaldo beat Serbia keeper Marko Dmitrovic to a long ball and side-footed it towards goal only for Stefan Mitrovic to clear it but television replays suggested it had crossed the line.

The result left both sides on four points from two games as Serbia edged Ireland 3-2 at home in their opening game on Wednesday while Portugal eked out a 1-0 win over Azerbaijan.

The outcome also made for a bittersweet milestone for Portugal coach Fernando Santos, who reached a rare milestone of 1,000 games as head coach at club and international level combined in his 33-year long career in the dugout.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9410265/Serbia-2-2-Portugal-Fulham-striker-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-inspires-Serbs-come-back.html

WhiteJC

Mitrovic becomes Serbia's all-time top scorer with goal against Portugal

The Fulham forward netted for the third time this week for his country

Aleksandar Mitrovic created a piece of history for himself by becoming Serbia's all-time leading scorer.

The Fulham man is only 26 years old, but he overhauled Stjepan Bobek with his goal against Portugal in World Cup qualifying on Saturday.

Mitrovic is struggling for regular playing time at Fulham, but he is a key figure for his country and he inspired the side to come from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Portugal.

Mitrovic's record

The forward, who arrived in England to play for Newcastle before departing for Fulham in 2018, is a key player for his country and his effort against Portugal took him to 39 goals in 64 appearances.

The goal took him past Bobek, whose 38 goals came in 63 appearances between 1946 and 1956 for the then Yugoslavia.

Confidence key for Mitro

It's fair to say the forward arrived at the game with Portugal with a spring in his step, after scoring twice in the win over Republic of Ireland earlier in the week.

The first goal was an audacious chip over Mark Travers from a full 30 yards after spotting the Ireland goalkeeper slightly off his line.

Mitrovic and his Serbia team-mates will now limber up for a clash with Azerbaijan on Tuesday knowing a win would cement their position at the head of Group A.

The forward is a bit-part player for Fulham, but his efforts on international duty may have given manager Scott Parker a timely reminder of his abilities and he could be of value as the Cottagers attempt to fight their way out of relegation trouble in the final weeks of the season.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/mitrovic-becomes-serbias-all-time-top-scorer-with-goal/v7hj7prwp8wn161wif3xc5f68

WhiteJC

Mitro's Outright Record

Aleksandar Mitrović bagged his 39th Serbia goal on Saturday night, making him the country's all-time record scorer outright.

Liverpool's Diogo Jota had scored two headers to put Portugal in control at half-time in Belgrade, but Mitro reduced the deficit immediately after the restart when he got the better of two defenders to send a powerful header of his own into the back of the net.

Filip Kostic then equalised on the hour mark, though Serbia – who ended the game with 10 men – were given a let-off when Cristiano Ronaldo's stoppage time strike was deemed to have been cleared off the line.

The result means Serbia sit atop the Group A standings in World Cup qualifying with four points from their two matches.

Ola Aina helped Nigeria qualify for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations with a 1-0 win over Benin in their Group L Qualifier.

A draw would have been enough to see the Super Eagles book their place in Cameroon next January, but the win means they will qualify as group winners, with a game to spare.

Aina played 84 minutes of the contest, which was decided by a stoppage time strike from Paul Onuachu.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/march/Mitro-s-Outright-Record/

WhiteJC

'Every chance' Middlesbrough could sign Fulham loanee on permanent deal this summer

According to Teesside Live, Middlesbrough could be eyeing a deal to sign goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli on a permanent deal this summer.

The 'keeper is currently on loan at Middlesbrough from Premier League side Fulham. Having helped the Cottagers to promotion up to the top flight last season, the arrival of Paris Saint German and France shot stopper Alphonse Areola meant Bettinelli was seen as surplus to requirements.

He was used in rotation with Marek Rodak at Craven Cottage in the 2019/20 campaign. However, the Slovakia international was chosen to provide the back up to Areola whilst Bettinelli was shipped out on loan.

Since signing for Boro, the 28-year-old has played every minute of every game in the Championship. Despite a few nervy moments here and there, he has been rather solid between the sticks.

According to the report, there is 'every chance' Middlesbrough could pursue the goalkeeper on a permanent deal this summer. Bettinelli is out of contract at Fulham in June, but all could depend on what division Scott Parker's side are playing in next season.

If they are to retain their Premier League status, he would likely not be signing a contract extension as he would again be down the pecking order. However, if they are relegated back down to the second tier there is a chance that Bettinelli would be offered a new deal.

It will be a situation Middlesbrough will be monitoring closely. With fellow goalkeeper Jordan Archer also nearing the end of his deal at the Riverside and Dejan Stojanovic unlikely to return to the first-team fold after his loan spell in Germany, they will be in desperate need of a number one.

https://the72.co.uk/229064/every-chance-middlesbrough-could-sign-fulham-loanee-on-permanent-deal-this-summer/