Wolves
1-0
Sheff Utd
Southampton
P-P
Palace

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Arsenal vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Arsenal vs. Fulham.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/4/16/22388410/cottage-talk-preview-arsenal-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Report: Spurs set to hold talks over player also wanted by four other PL clubs

Danish publication BT have revealed that Tottenham Hotspur could face plenty of competition for Joachim Andersen's signature, with four other Premier League clubs interested in the centre-back's services.

Andersen has impressed during his loan spell at Fulham this season and the Dane is said to be one of the options Spurs are considering to bolster their options in central defence (Alasdair Gold).

It has been reported that Lyon have already received a 'serious enquiry' from an unnamed English club for the 24-year-old, with the Ligue 1 club said to be ready to accept an offer of around £25m for the centre-back this summer.

BT now claim that Manchester United have also been tracking the Denmark international while Chelsea, Leicester City and Crystal Palace have also shown interest in signing him.

The report reveals that Andersen does not have a future at Lyon and is likely to complete a permanent transfer to the Premier League in the summer.

Additionally, it is also suggested that Tottenham are set to meet with the defender's representatives in order to discuss a summer move.

Spurs Web Opinion

Signing a player with Andersen's potential for £25m could potentially prove to be fantastic value for money. The fact that he has a year of Premier League experience under his belt might allow him to hit the ground running at Spurs next season.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/report-spurs-set-to-hold-talks-over-player-also-wanted-by-four-other-pl-clubs/

WhiteJC

Parker points out positive impact of Fulham man's changing-room speech

Scott Parker praised the personality of Aleksandar Mitrovic to speak up and inspire his teammates after Fulham's loss to Wolves last week.

Mario Lemina, who was in tears after Adama Traore's last-gasp winner sealed victory for Wolves at Craven Cottage last Friday, spoke earlier in the week about a passionate address delivered by the Serbian in the aftermath of the defeat, which heightened their chances of relegation.

"Yes it's definitely something I welcome. It's something I want more of, it's something that in this day and age we're probably losing a little bit of," Parker said when asked about Mitrovic's display of leadership.

"I think in teams – and in very good teams – you have big characters and personalities, people that speak, people that lead by example and that's what you want. I think that's the key thing, your words and your actions, it's easy to talk, but we need action from every one of these players.

"We are a very young squad and a very young team in this division... I don't know but we're probably one of the youngest to be honest.

"Certainly leadership and a real personality at times (is important) and even more so in the situation that we've been in for large parts... it's very easy to shy away from things, but you need to stand up and you need to be counted and we need a lot more of that as well."

Fulham travel to Arsenal on Sunday after missing out on a third opportunity to move clear of the bottom three. They are currently 18th in the table and six points behind 17th-placed Newcastle after the Magpies won at Burnley.

"It's been a normal week as always, lifting the team and lifting the players in the early part of the week," Parker said before the trip to the Emirates.

"This group of players have got a bit of resilience about them and we bounce back and we're now looking forward to a London derby and a very, very good side in Arsenal and hopefully we can try and get a result."

Parker hoping others slip up

He added: "For large parts of this year I've sat here and said we always focus on ourselves, but now it's got to the point of the season where maybe you're looking elsewhere as well and hoping some other clubs can slip up along the way.

"But, as always, if you're not going to win football matches or you don't win enough you're always going to be in trouble and that's where we are really.

"So there's one main focus which is us, let's go and try and win this game on Sunday. Let's go to the Emirates, put on a very good performance, a good display all round but ultimately what we need to do is try and get a result."

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/scott-parker-positive-impact-mitrovic-fulham-speech

WhiteJC

Key duo miss out as Arteta makes 4 changes | Expected Arsenal line-up vs Fulham

Arsenal take on Fulham at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Here is the team Gooner Mac expects Mikel Arteta to select:

Arsenal take on Fulham at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Here is the team Gooner Mac expects Mikel Arteta to select:

Goalkeeper: There won't be any change in goal as Bernd Leno is certain to keep his place between the sticks for Arsenal this weekend so Mat Ryan will remain on the bench.

Defence: The Gunners will continue to be without David Luiz and Kieran Tierney due to knee injuries but Arteta could still make some changes from the back four that kept a clean sheet against Slavia Prague on Thursday night.

Gabriel is pushing for a recall after being on the bench for the last two games. Pablo Mari has performed well alongside Rob Holding but I think we'll see Gabriel come back in to the Arsenal defence against Fulham to give Mari a rest.

Calum Chambers has also impressed at right-back but I expect Hector Bellerin to be recalled on Sunday while Cedric Soares should replace Granit Xhaka at left-back.

Midfield: That would free-up the Swiss international to move back into his usual midfield position against Fulham. Thomas Partey is expected to keep his place so Dani Ceballos will be the man to make way if Xhaka is moved into the middle of the park.

Martin Odegaard didn't make the trip to Prague on Thursday night as he's still nursing an ankle injury that's hampered him since the international break. Odegaard remains a doubt for the Fulham game but Emile Smith Rowe was excellent in the Europa League win last night so he should keep his place on Sunday.

Attack: Bukayo Saka was also hugely impressive during the 4-0 victory over Prague and I expect him to retain his place on the right side of the Arsenal attack.

Nicolas Pepe looks dangerous on the left flank but I still think Arteta might freshen things up against Fulham with Gabriel Martinelli coming in for the Ivory Coast international.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has missed the last two matches after contracting malaria while away with Gabon last month. He's back home recovering after spending two days in hospital this week so he's set to miss out on Sunday.

Alexandre Lacazette will therefore keep his place up front and the Frenchman should be full of confidence after putting in a superb display against Prague that saw him score two goals.

Here is how I think we'll see Arsenal line-up:

https://football-talk.co.uk/163115/key-duo-miss-out-as-arteta-makes-4-changes-expected-arsenal-line-up-vs-fulham/

WhiteJC

Loanees given 'platform' by Fulham, says Parker

The likes of Joachim Andersen can thank Fulham if they get a move to a big Premier League club at the end of the season, Scott Parker says.

Whites boss Parker hopes he will hang on to the Danish international, but that depends on his club remaining in the Premier League.

Fulham are currently six points from safety with only six matches to play. Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium is the next challenge on Sunday.

Otherwise, the central defender's fine performances in a hard season have caught the eye, and the head coach agreed Andersen and others have "thrived" at Craven Cottage.

So much so that Chelsea have been linked with the on-loan Lyon man, as have Tottenham and Manchester United.

Parker said: "Proving ground at Fulham? Definitely. And when you have loan players of course that's where it is.

"This is a big opportunity for them and there has been a platform here for a large part of the season. I feel that all of them have thrived in that.

"There have been players that have been disregarded but certainly had a lot to prove coming here.

"Players that have not been in and around Premier League football, players that have not played at their parent clubs, players with big potential but not quite been in and around it, have probably given themselves or highlighted what good players they are and what quality they have.

"Now it's that next step, people will be judging them for that."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-boss-responds-to-reports-andersen-is-wanted-by-chelsea-man-utd-and-tottenham

WhiteJC

Fulham need more leaders like Aleksandr Mitrovic, says boss Scott Parker after hearing the Serbian's rousing speech after loss to Wolves as he calls for 'big personalities' to haul the team clear of danger

Fulham boss Scott Parker is hoping to see more leadership in the dressing room
    Parker witnessed a rousing speech by Mitrovic after Fulham's defeat by Wolves
    Mario Lemina said earlier this week that Mitrovic had given a passionate address
    Parker said he wants 'more of it' and that it is 'definitely something he welcomes'

Scott Parker is hoping to see more leadership in the dressing room after witnessing a rousing speech by Aleksandar Mitrovic after Fulham's defeat by Wolves last week.

Mario Lemina, who was in tears after Adama Traore's last-gasp winner at Craven Cottage, revealed earlier this week that Mitrovic had given a passionate address.

'It's definitely something I welcome,' said Parker. 'It's something I want more of, it's something that in this day and age we're probably losing a little bit of.

Fulham boss Scott Parker (above) is hoping to see more leadership in the dressing room

Parker witnessed a rousing speech by Aleksandar Mitrovic after Fulham's defeat by Wolves

'I think in teams — and in very good teams — you have big characters and personalities, people that speak, people that lead by example and that's what you want. I think that's the key thing: your words and your actions.

'It's easy to talk, but we need action from every one of these players.

'Certainly leadership and a real personality at times (is important) and even more so in the situation that we've been in for large parts.

'It's very easy to shy away from things, but you need to stand up and you need to be counted.'

Fulham, who are 18th, six points behind Newcastle in 17th, visit Arsenal on Sunday. 'Let's go to the Emirates, put on a very good performance, a good display all round,' said Parker. 'But ultimately what we need to do is try and get a result.'

Mario Lemina (above) said earlier this week that Mitrovic had given a passionate address

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9480217/Scott-Parker-wants-leaders-like-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-witnessing-rousing-speech.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Parker confirms Super Eagles target Lookman will be fit to face Arsenal

Manager Scott Parker faced the cameras on Friday ahead of his 100th game in charge, as Fulham travel to the Emirates Stadium  to take on Arsenal in the English Premier League.

It has been a difficult season for the Cottagers as they find themselves in the relegation zone but they have managed to pick up maximum points in tough away matches against Liverpool, Leicester City and Everton.

Parker brought good news on the injury front concerning Super Eagles target Ademola Lookman.

The 2017 U20 World Cup winner missed Fulham's defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers last Friday due to the hamstring-related injury he suffered in the second half against Aston Villa on April 4.

"Terence will be out for the season, I'm gutted for him. Tom Cairney is out on grass, there's improvement there, but we just don't know. Lookman will be fit," Parker said at the pre-match press conference.

Fulham have lost four consecutive matches since they recorded a 1-0 win against Liverpool on March 7.

Lookman is statistically Fulham's standout player in the English top-flight, scoring four goals and setting up four others in 28 games.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=39603

WhiteJC

Gordon Davies

Let's start at the very beginning. Gordon was born in 1955 and was eleven years old when he played in the very first Georgetown squad in 1966. That was when I first came to witness at first hand Gordon's prodigious talent. He dazzled everyone with his exceptional technique and skill even on a frozen pitch early on a Saturday morning in Butetown in the Under 14's Rhymney Valley League.

On a late summer evening in Bargoed, a group of elderly gentlemen who were on the sidelines watching, were overheard saying that "Gordon Davies is the best schoolboy player that we have ever seen play on this ground". They were obviously extremely good judges of the potential of a future Welsh International.

Before we even started to see the development of the elite Football Academies, Georgetown had produced 25 players who became professional footballers and Welsh Internationals at various levels. Gordon was a prolific goalscorer at Under 14's and Under 16's level and also represented Wales Schoolboys at Under 15 level.

It was while still at Cyfarthfa High School that he made his first appearance for the Martyrs in a Welsh Youth Cup game. After obtaining his 'A' levels Gordon studied Physical Education at Madeley College, Staffordshire.

During his time at College, Gordon made a number of appearances for the Martyrs whenever he came home for the weekend. After completing his degree course at college, Gordon returned to South Wales to complete his teacher training and signed permanently for the Martyrs under the guidance of Emrys Evans.

Initially Gordon played on the right wing, which seemed to be his natural position due to his electric pace. An injury allowed Emrys to switch Gordon to play alongside Paul Caviel, that allowed him to demonstrate his goalscoring technique.

During the 70's the Martyrs were a very good Cup side but to often after mounting a promotion challenge they generally faded away towards the end of the season.

After a referral from Alan Mullery, who was Brighton manager at the time, Fulham invited Gordon to Craven Cottage and offered him a full time contract. Although he signed in November 1977 when he was 22 years old, Bobby Campbell Fulham's manager agreed that he could stay with the Martyrs until March 1978. By February Gordon had scored 36 goals for the Martyrs in his final season at Penydarren Park.

During that season the Martyrs reached the Quarter Finals of the FA Trophy before losing 3-2 in a replay to Northern Premier League side Runcorn. During our progress to the last eight Gordon scored a hat-trick against Hitchin in a 4-0 win and a brace against Gravesend in a 4-1 victory.

He was unable to play in the Runcorn game because he was due to report to Fulham 48 hours later, his presence undoubtedly would have proved to be the difference. After our exit from the FA Trophy Emrys resigned as manager over several issues.

After playing four games in the Fulham reserve team, Gordon was selected for his debut against Blackpool. Within two minutes of his debut Gordon had given away a penalty! "I looked around at the faces of the other players and could see them thinking – what have we got here! I didn't let it upset me and the rest of the match went like a dream. I provided the assist for Les Strong to equalise and then scored the winner in the second half".

Gordon's progress at Fulham had attracted the attention of Wales team manager Mike Smith, which led to Davies being called into the Welsh squad for the game against Eire at Swansea after an injury to John Toshack.

In October 1979 Gordon returned to play at Penydarren Park as a Fulham player in a friendly arranged as part of the transfer. On the night Fulham won 4-2 with Davies inevitably scoring a hat-trick. Derek Elliott and Paul Caviel were the Martyrs scorers.

Gordon made his debut for Wales in November 1979 in the 1-0 defeat in a European Championship game against Turkey. He went on to make 16 international appearances scoring twice.

He spent six years with the West London club, before signing for Chelsea for a fee of £90,000 that was fixed by a tribunal. After a short stay at Stamford Bridge he moved to Manchester City making his debut on 12 October 1985 against Watford, and his first goals came two days later in a 6–1 victory over Leeds United in the Full Members Cup, when he scored yet another hat-trick that day. When Billy McNeill departed as City manager Davies' days at the club were numbered and his final City match was against Southend United in the Football League Cup. It was ironic that as a schoolboy Gordon was signed by Manchester City, who subsequently paid £100,000 to sign him from Fulham. "I received a letter telling me that City didn't think that I would make a professional footballer" said Davies, which appeared to be a very expensive mistake.

He returned to Fulham in October 1986 and his second spell at Craven Cottage lasted five years. In October 1990 Gordon, known affectionately as 'Ivor the Engine' by his Fulham colleagues, passed Fulham legend Johnny Haynes to establish himself as the club's all-time leading goalscorer a record that he still holds for the West London Premiership club, with 159 league goals in 460 appearances. In recognition of his career and the service he provided to the Cottagers, the club granted him a testimonial which was played against a Wales XI.

Davies left Fulham in 1991 and returned to Wales to join Wrexham. He became a part of FA Cup history when they beat Arsenal 2-1 in one of the competition's biggest shocks, with Gordon creating the winning goal for Steve Watkin in the 84th minute. He left the Welsh club in February 1992 to take up an offer of management in Norway with Tornado FK, signing on as player-manager. In the summer of 1992 he returned to the UK and signed for Northwich Victoria where he spent one season before retiring from the game.

https://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/gordon-davies/

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Aston Villa, Crystal Palace set sights on transfer of attacking midfielder

TEAMtalk can reveal Aston Villa and Crystal Palace are leading the chase for Ruben Loftus-Cheek with the England midfielder set to depart Chelsea this summer.

TEAMtalk can reveal Aston Villa and Crystal Palace are leading the chase for Ruben Loftus-Cheek with the England midfielder set to depart Chelsea this summer.

The 25-year-old is currently on loan at Fulham and they would like to keep him but their chances will be dependent on them staying in the Premier League which looks unlikely at this stage. Loftus-Cheek has done well and he hopes to get another chance at Chelsea where he has three years left on his contract.

Loftus-Cheek has made 26 Premier League appearances for the Cottagers, primarily in an attacking midfield role, scoring once. He has been unable to lift them away from the relegation zone but his performances have been noted.

However, TEAMtalk understands that Loftus-Cheek is not in Chelsea's long-term plans. And the Blues have already told interested parties that they would be open to a sale.

Palace are long-term admirers of Loftus-Cheek and they have told Chelsea they will be interested, likewise Aston Villa are keen.

Chelsea legend John Terry is number two at Villa and is a huge fan. And although they are sending Ross Barkley back this summer – they could yet complete a deal for a Chelsea midfielder.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-aston-villa-crystal-palace-set-sights-on-ruben-loftus-cheek

WhiteJC

Mikel Arteta wishes Scott Parker well in Fulham's relegation fight
The two youngest managers in the Premier League do battle again on Sunday.

Mikel Arteta pits his Arsenal side against relegation-threatened Fulham on Sunday afternoon but has wished Scott Parker well as he battles to keep the Cottagers in the Premier League.

Fulham went into the weekend six points adrift of safety having lost to a last-gasp goal at home to Wolves in their previous game.

Now they face a London derby against the Gunners, who go into the game on a high after thrashing Slavia Prague on Thursday to reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.

Arsenal ran out 3-0 winners when they travelled to Craven Cottage on the opening weekend of the campaign but have had their own issues with consistency since then.

The two youngest managers in the Premier League do battle again this weekend and Arteta revealed he and Parker know each other well – on and off the pitch – and has been impressed with Fulham this year.

"I played a lot of times against Scotty, we had some battles," he said. "We have some common friends and people in the football world so we know each other quite well.

"I'm really happy for him and the work he has been doing and I think they have been really unlucky in some games this season that could have put his job in a different perspective.

"But still, anybody that is around him knows the man and then knows the professional who is behind him and I wish him all the best."

Arsenal skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will still be missing after contracting malaria during last month's international break.

David Luiz and Kieran Tierney both have knee injuries keeping them out of the defence, while Martin Odegaard is a doubt with a niggling ankle complaint.

But Arteta, who also saw his side comfortably beat bottom club Sheffield United last weekend, has been pleased with the way his team have dealt with the loss of some key men.

"It is great that the team has the ability and capacity to resolve when we are missing some important players," he added.

"The team has reacted in a good way, not used any excuses, just faced the challenges ahead of them and got others to raise their individual performance for the team and this is what they are doing."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mikel-arteta-wishes-scott-parker-well-in-fulhams-relegation-fight-40323035.html

WhiteJC

Mawson aiming for fresh start at Fulham

Forgotten man Alfie Mawson is targeting a Fulham comeback next season.

The Hillingdon-born former Brentford defender, who cost the Whites around £15m in August 2018 from Swansea City, made 38 appearances for the Welsh club in the Premier League prior to their relegation.

But his luck appeared to run out after the move back to west London.

A succession of knee injuries has limited his appearances for Fulham to just 32 in three years, with two loan spells to Bristol City this season hampered by further setbacks.

Scott Parker insists the 27-year-old has still got a future with Fulham.

"He was sent back for injury treatment on his knee from Bristol and he's back with us," said the Fulham boss.

"I don't know if there's a chance for him to play (this season), but certainly next year's his target.

"He's had some bad luck with injuries and it's been a bit stop-start for him.

"Hopefully, he can get on the mend because he did very well at Bristol.

"So it's rehab and hopefully him coming back strong."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mawson-aiming-for-fresh-start-at-fulham

WhiteJC

Former Brighton and Fulham star a contender for England role after Aidy Boothroyd exit
Ex-Albion defender and Derby County assistant manager Liam Rosenior is a contender for the vacant role as manager of England under-21s

Former Brighton defender Liam Rosenior is currently Wayne Roomey's assistant at Derby County

Rosenior is said to be under consideration by the FA, alongside England under-17s coach Justin Cochrane and Chelsea academy coach and former England international Joe Cole.

Rosenior made 44 appearances for Albion having joined on a three contract following his release from Hull City in 2015. The 37-year-old made a good impression at Brighton and started his coaching career with the club as Simon Rusk's assistant manager with the under-23s.

In 2019, Rosenior left the Amex Stadium and was appointed specialist first team coach to Phillip Cocu at Derby County and was promoted to assistant manager of Derby in 2021 following the appointment of Wayne Rooney as manager.

The former Fulham and Reading defender has yet to take on a managerial role but he has impressed following his transition from playing to coaching.

Current under-21s boss Aidy Boothroyd confirmed he will leave once his contract ends this summer. Boothroyd has been in charge of the under-21s since 2016 and his finest moment was leading his side to victory at the Toulon Tournament in 2018.

But last month England finished bottom of their group at the under-21 Euros as they lost to Portugal and Switzerland before beating Croatia in their final match.

"We didn't finish in the way we wanted," Boothroyd said. "I'm very proud to have been able to work so closely with players who I know will go on to have remarkable international careers."

The FA are keen to appoint the new under-21s manager by August, in time for the 2023 European qualifiers that start in September.

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/former-brighton-and-fulham-star-a-contender-for-england-role-after-aidy-boothroyd-exit-3204742

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie's pre-match warm-up message explained as he shows support for terminally ill baby

The pair both played for Coventry City before reality TV star Cain was best with family tragedy

Nottingham Forest's Cyrus Christie has a special message on his t-shirt during the warm-up before facing Huddersfield Town (Image: Getty)

Nottingham Forest defender Cyrus Christie has shown his support for the terminally baby daughter of former footballer Ashley Cain.

The pair were both on the books of Coventry City before Cain moved down the leagues, playing for the likes of Mansfield Town and Tamworth.

He has since become a reality TV star, appearing in shows including Ex on the Beach and The Challenge.

The 30-year-old, who is from Nuneaton, has been beset by a heart-breaking family tragedy, after his eight-month old daughter Azaylia was diagnosed with leukaemia, which can no longer be treated.

Azaylia's predicament has received world wide attention as Cain and her mother Safiyya Vorajee keep people updated.

Christie sent his own message of support in the warm-up before Forest's game against Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

He wore a top which said 'Azaylia Cain you will win this battle. Keep believing' on the front, with hashtags including #prayforAzaylia on the back.

Meanwhile, Nottingham Panthers and Coventry Blaze will also show their support with a minute's stick tap before their Elite Series game at the Nottingham Arena this evening.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/ashley-cain-baby-cyrus-christie-5311139

WhiteJC

Fulham eye first win at Arsenal at 30th attempt

Team news

Fulham's Terence Kongolo has been ruled out for the remainder of the season, head coach Scott Parker confirmed on Friday.

Ademola Lookman (hamstring) is available and Tom Cairney (knee) continues to work his way back to fitness.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will not feature as he continues his recovery from malaria, while Martin Odegaard (ankle) is also missing. Kieran Tierney (knee) and David Luiz (knee) are longer-term absentees.   

Did you know?

In Arsenal's last three Premier League matches against Fulham, they have won 5-1, 4-1 and 3-0. The Gunners now have the chance to beat a top-flight opponent by at least three goals in four consecutive meetings for the first time.

Both Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette have found the net in all three of their PL matches against Fulham, with the pair netting four goals each in these contests.

Fulham are looking for their first win at Arsenal in any competition, at the 30th attempt (D5 L24).

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic has played in more PL London derbies without ever being on the winning side than any other player in the competition's history (D2 L14).

Match officials

Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Richard West. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2103184

WhiteJC

Andersen's passing accuracy can unpick Arsenal

Adrian Clarke says Fulham defender's accurate deliveries can help team at Emirates Stadium

Adrian Clarke looks at key tactical points in Matchweek 32.
Sunday 18 April
ARS 13:30 FUL

Fulham will make the short trip to Arsenal with a clean sheet mentality this Sunday.

Scott Parker's third-from-bottom side need victory to boost their hopes of avoiding relegation, having lost four matches in a row.

Yet Fulham travel to Emirates Stadium with defensive confidence high, having kept three clean sheets in their last five away matches.

Indeed, two of those shutouts were in crucial victories at Everton and Liverpool.

The bedrock of Fulham's much-improved defence is Joachim Andersen.

Since arriving on loan from Lyon, the 24-year-old has been a mainstay in the side as well as captain in the absence of the injured Tom Cairney.

Andersen shines in Anfield win

Impressing with his positional play, aerial strength and quality on the ball, Andersen has caught the eye in a back three and a back four alongside a variety of partners.

The way he performs will be pivotal to Fulham's chances of springing a surprise in north London.

Andersen's influence

2020/21          Success rate
Tackles          56%
Duels          60.4%
Aerial duels          69.4%

It will be interesting to see which formation Parker selects for this encounter.

Against Wolves last time out they lost 1-0 to a late goal in a 3-4-2-1 shape.

This is the same system Fulham used in a 2-1 victory at Leicester City, and in the 1-1 draws against Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

But Fulham deployed a 4-4-2 when beating Liverpool and Everton on the road.

Pass master

Andersen is arguably more suited to performing in the centre of a three-man defence. From that position his outstanding long-range distribution is a major asset.

Only four Premier League players have made more accurate long passes per 90 minutes than the Dane, who is second to Conor Coady among defenders.

Most accurate long passers

2020/21       Accurate long passes       Per 90
Conor Coady       198       6.7
Jonjo Shelvey       143       6.5
Ruben Neves       151       6.0
Joachim Andersen       154       6.0
Thiago       81       5.9

During that defeat by Wolves Andersen played a string of accurate long diagonal passes.

He picked out Antonee Robinson 14 times, with several passes arriving at the left wing-back's feet inside the final third.

Arsenal's right-back on Sunday must be wary of Andersen clipping high passes over his head.

Parker's side like to play through the thirds and, when they deploy wing-backs, using Andersen's passing range helps to pick out target man Aleksandar Mitrovic.

No top-flight central defender hits more passes that finish inside the final third than Andersen.

Passes into final third

Centre-back          Passes into final third/90
Joachim Andersen          9.46
David Luiz          9.05
Dara O'Shea         8.97
Adam Webster          8.34
Aymeric Laporte          8.29

Fulham create chances but their finishing has let them down all season.

Only 8.54 per cent of their shots (excluding blocks) have found the back of the net, the worst conversion rate of all 20 clubs.

This is why defensive solidity is so vital to Fulham's chances of avoiding relegation.

They will chase a much-needed win at Arsenal, but their prospects of victory will depend on their defensive solidity.

If Andersen plays well, they can claim another valuable clean sheet.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2106444

WhiteJC

Parker hoping Fulham can upset Arsenal

Scott Parker reckons every side is vulnerable – and that includes Arsenal.

Fulham tackle the Gunners on Sunday lunchtime, with time running out to save their Premier League status.

The Whites head coach admits he needs other sides in and around the relegation places to slip up while hoping his own team can put a few wins together.

To heap on the pressure, Fulham have never won at either the Emirates Stadium or Highbury before it in 14 visits going back to 2002.

Parker said: "I don't look much at those stats. Every team has their vulnerabilities; and some have more than others.

"We'll try and exploit them but there are very few – that's what you get with a squad like Arsenal's.

"We need to score a goal there, but they come off the back of two clean sheets. They're playing well, but we need to get something out of this game."

Even if Fulham were to win all six remaining matches, they need at least one from Burnley, Brighton or Newcastle to falter and gain no more than 12 points from their remaining seven games.

Parker added: "It's got to point where we're looking elsewhere as well. We need others to slip up on the way."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-hoping-fulham-can-upset-arsenal

WhiteJC

Scott Parker praises 'huge quality' of Arsenal starlets Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe ahead of crunch Emirates showdown as Fulham boss urges his own youngsters to 'show resilience' in relegation battle

Fulham travel to Arsenal on Sunday afternoon in a crunch all-London showdown
    The Cottagers are still battling to retain their Premier League status this season
    Boss Scott Parker has praised Arsenal's 'high quality' youngsters in the lead up
    Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe stole the show against Slavia Prague

Fulham boss Scott Parker has hailed the impact Arsenal youngsters Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe have made this season.

The duo were instrumental in firing Arsenal into the Europa League semi finals on Thursday and their ever-growing influence on the first team has left Parker impressed.

With Fulham battling the drop, Parker admits his young squad will face a huge test of character in their remaining six Premier League games, starting with Sunday's trip to the Emirates.

Scott Parker has recognised the quality of Arsenal's Emile Smith Rowe and Bukayo Saka

The Fulham boss takes encouragement from Saka and Smith Rowe's development and wants his young players to seize their opportunity to complete the great escape.

'What young players normally bring is an energy and a real freedom at times,' Parker explained.

'Of course there's a fine balance, certainly when you are where we are in the league, that in certain moments can they handle the pressure that comes with these certain moments and the pressure of that is always key, but this is part of developing.

'Developing teams and developing individuals really. This team, like I said, is a young team.

'The players you've suggested at Arsenal, Saka and Smith Rowe, are players with huge quality, they have huge potential.

'The reason they are playing in that team is because they offer something and they make Arsenal better and that's the same with us.'

Fulham went into this weekend six points adrift of safety and Parker has called on his young squad to show their mettle in the face of adversity.

'I want an energy, I want a resilience and an excitement to go and play football,' he added.

'Go and showcase your quality and I know that if we can do all those things then we can give anyone a game.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9483625/Scott-Parker-praises-huge-quality-Arsenal-starlets-Bukayo-Saka-Emile-Smith-Rowe.html

WhiteJC

Championship-bound Sheffield United could make shock move for Fulham boss this summer

Sheffield United could make a shock move for Fulham boss Scott Parker if he leaves Craven Cottage in the summer.

The Sun on Sunday (18.04.21, pg. 67) gives an insight into the Blade's managerial hunt following their relegation from the Premier League last night.

Alexander Blessin remains their no.1 choice at the moment but he has 'become more expensive' to land – his deal at Belgian outfit KV Oostende has been extended by a further year after the club triggered that option in his deal.

Alan Nixon writes how that will 'raise the price' of an appointment, with former Watford and Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic a back-up plan should Blessin be out of the question.

Then, Nixon claims that Sheffield United could look at current Fulham boss Parker should he leave the club at the end of the season – he's promotion experience with the Whites and has impressed many this season, despite finding his side in the bottom three.

https://the72.co.uk/231582/championship-bound-sheffield-united-could-make-shock-move-for-fulham-boss-this-summer/

WhiteJC

'Too many mistakes' – Many Nottingham Forest fans react to performance of player in Huddersfield loss

A number of Nottingham Forest supporters have been bemoaning the performance of Anthony Knockaert following the Reds' 2-0 defeat against Huddersfield Town.

Forest headed into the game looking to extend their four-game unbeaten run in the Championship, but Chris Hughton's side were unable to build on a bright start in the first ten minutes and ended up being punished for a couple of mistakes. That was enough to see them fall to a frustrating defeat at the City Ground and helped the Terriers claim a much-needed three points.

One player who struggled for the Reds against Huddersfield was Knockaert, with the winger struggling to make much of a positive impression on the game at both ends of the field. The 29-year-old was guilty of giving away the ball on too many occasions and it was a performance that would have been frustrating considering he has more quality than he was able to display.

Knockaert gave the ball away on 14 occasions throughout the 81 minutes he was on the field and was also able to put in just two accurate crosses into the box (Sofascore). It was a performance that saw him fail to offer enough quality for Forest in the final third.

Many Nottingham Forest fans were left frustrated by Knockaert's performance against Huddersfield with some suggesting that he could need to be dropped from the side now.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/too-many-mistakes-many-nottingham-forest-fans-react-to-performance-of-player-in-huddersfield-loss/