more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is TV killing football

Started by blingo, April 28, 2021, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Quote from: rebel on April 28, 2021, 09:46:17 AM
One of those emoji's is out of sync, I'll let you figure out which one.

You're sharp Mr Rebel. Not as sharp as my mums tongue........but sharp lol.

Andy S

Wall to wall tv is certainly killing football. Instead of having teams watched managers can now build up huge dossiers on all opposition teams. It means that unless a club has a player who can continually changes the style of his game it is known exactly how he will play. In fact exactly how the whole team will play. It's why we could not duplicate our game against Everton. Other managers watch and nullify our game plan

blingo

Quote from: RaySmith on April 29, 2021, 08:24:33 AM
Quote from: LittleErn on April 28, 2021, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 28, 2021, 11:42:31 AM
Ahhhh Mr Tosh, memories of listening to the radio or having the half time results over the tannoy. Everyone and his dog staying after the final whistle to hear the full time results, with massive cheers or boos depending on whether or not the results were in our favour. The team coming back out and waving to the crowds. No VAR the refs decision was final. Where has it all gone wrong?

Tannoy Blingo? In my day they put the half-times onto hooks on the boundary fencing! Each game had a letter as a code and you needed to buy a programme to find out the code! I can just about remember changing ends at half-time - how old am I? EEK!

Like you, I depend on the TV matches these days, though I do get to the occasional match "oop north". As Toshes mate said, it is the sole rights that is the main issue; that equates to a licence to charge what they like. I would like to see the clubs control the TV rather than the other way round. Each club could charge for watching its home games. Presumably they would have to pay a TV company to broadcast for them but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that is fair to all concerned.

You're referring to the innovative half-time scoreboard!
Which went along with the flags of all the First Division clubs along the river - this was seen as pretty cool at the time.

Who was it is supposed to have said that the flags wouldn't be taken down after we were relegated, because  we'd soon be back? Imagine  what opposing Second Division fans thought of that idea.

TV has been a saviour for fans during lockdown. But generally it's TV companies, begun with Sky, that has invested/made, so much cash into/from the  game, making it a lucrative world wide  product, attracting all these millionaire foreign owners, and players to clubs, that were traditionally owned by a local businessman, prepared to take a financial hit, to indulge his passion for the club he'd always supported.

It's not TV in itself that has caused the problems in football. If you still only had the BBC and ITV  channels, then things would probably still be much as they were when we were young.
Just saying.

Football was  a mainly working-class sport, with a poor image for many middle class people, associated with violent hooliganism.
Margaret Thatcher proposed id cards for fans, because of this image
But now, who in the public eye, celebs, politicians, Royals, doesn't have a team they claim to support? and football makes the front pages, as well as the back.
But there are still the majority of clubs struggling to  make ends meet, to meet that balance between culture and business, while the few  are  raking in money, and have a  monopoly of success.

Clubs like Fulham, and many far worse off, will always struggle to succeed in this environment, and a lot  would be jealous of the success we have had in recent years, and have still- being in the Prem, even if it may not be for much longer, but with millionaire owners, we have a good prospect of return.

I'd forgotten the flags blowing proudly in the wind coming off of the river. Looked really good. now and then an old boy (40+) would ask you who our biggest crowd was and you would always listen out of respect.....Well it was Millwall my old son, over 49,000 at the cottage. Standing room only, no seats. IT was fantastic, and something I really looked forward to. I never had to be asked if I was going to the "Cottage" when we played, it was a given. I'd pester my mum for the entrance and programme fee, and off I would go with my older cousin and a few of his mates. It's amazing how the memories flood back. They were really good times Mr Smith.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on April 29, 2021, 08:24:33 AM
Quote from: LittleErn on April 28, 2021, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 28, 2021, 11:42:31 AM
Ahhhh Mr Tosh, memories of listening to the radio or having the half time results over the tannoy. Everyone and his dog staying after the final whistle to hear the full time results, with massive cheers or boos depending on whether or not the results were in our favour. The team coming back out and waving to the crowds. No VAR the refs decision was final. Where has it all gone wrong?

Tannoy Blingo? In my day they put the half-times onto hooks on the boundary fencing! Each game had a letter as a code and you needed to buy a programme to find out the code! I can just about remember changing ends at half-time - how old am I? EEK!

Like you, I depend on the TV matches these days, though I do get to the occasional match "oop north". As Toshes mate said, it is the sole rights that is the main issue; that equates to a licence to charge what they like. I would like to see the clubs control the TV rather than the other way round. Each club could charge for watching its home games. Presumably they would have to pay a TV company to broadcast for them but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that is fair to all concerned.

You're referring to the innovative half-time scoreboard!
Which went along with the flags of all the First Division clubs along the river - this was seen as pretty cool at the time.

Who was it is supposed to have said that the flags wouldn't be taken down after we were relegated, because  we'd soon be back? Imagine  what opposing Second Division fans thought of that idea.

TV has been a saviour for fans during lockdown. But generally it's TV companies, begun with Sky, that has invested/made, so much cash into/from the  game, making it a lucrative world wide  product, attracting all these millionaire foreign owners, and players to clubs, that were traditionally owned by a local businessman, prepared to take a financial hit, to indulge his passion for the club he'd always supported.

It's not TV in itself that has caused the problems in football. If you still only had the BBC and ITV  channels, then things would probably still be much as they were when we were young.
Just saying.

Football was  a mainly working-class sport, with a poor image for many middle class people, associated with violent hooliganism.
Margaret Thatcher proposed id cards for fans, because of this image
But now, who in the public eye, celebs, politicians, Royals, doesn't have a team they claim to support? and football makes the front pages, as well as the back.
But there are still the majority of clubs struggling to  make ends meet, to meet that balance between culture and business, while the few  are  raking in money, and have a  monopoly of success.

Clubs like Fulham, and many far worse off, will always struggle to succeed in this environment, and a lot  would be jealous of the success we have had in recent years, and have still- being in the Prem, even if it may not be for much longer, but with millionaire owners, we have a good prospect of return.

So True, Football still mostly has its roots in the working class. The problem is working class kids are growing up watching and supporting the few best teams in the world, when they grow up only those that make the leap to the upper-middle class can afford to see the best teams every week, while millions of working class kids grow up to be working class so unable to afford to watch their team more than once a week and not interested in changing teams to club they can afford.

TV has caused this chaos, because in the old dads you supported a team that you dad or other family member could afford so people supported a diversity of teams, rather than 10m people  suppprting ManUnited in the UK alone.